Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » June 4th, 2022, 8:50 am

dudog wrote:
June 3rd, 2022, 11:13 pm
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
June 3rd, 2022, 10:24 pm
Well y'all could have Louie Gohmert, who thinks it's criminal that Republicans aren't allowed to lie to authority figures.
Rep Louie Gohmert on Navarro indictment: "If you're a Republican, you can't even lie to Congress or lie to an FBI agent or they're coming after you"
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... s-1362752/
And then there's CB&B, the voice of reason from the land of Madison Cawthorn.

:D ~x( :animals-chickencatch: :animals-dogrun: :teasing-wedgie:

Obviously some (most?) of those emojis have nothing to do with anything. I just wanted to use them. Just be thankful I didn't use the butt sex emoji!!! (I never knew there was such a thing and hoping I forget it tomorrow morning)
We New Yorkers like to act all high and mighty but we are the home of such esteemed statesmen as Elliott Spitzer, Anthony Weiner, and now Elise Stefanik. And I'm still trying to figure out the Andrew Cuomo situation. And our lieutenant governor, who was hand picked for the role when Hochul was promoted after Cuomo was booted, is now out after less than a year for campaign finance/bribery.
dudog

Post by dudog » June 4th, 2022, 6:52 pm

dudog wrote:
June 3rd, 2022, 11:13 pm
June 3rd, 2022, 10:24 pm
Well y'all could have Louie Gohmert, who thinks it's criminal that Republicans aren't allowed to lie to authority figures.
Rep Louie Gohmert on Navarro indictment: "If you're a Republican, you can't even lie to Congress or lie to an FBI agent or they're coming after you"
https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/p ... s-1362752/
And then there's CB&B, the voice of reason from the land of Madison Cawthorn.

:D ~x( :animals-chickencatch: :animals-dogrun: :teasing-wedgie:

Obviously some (most?) of those emojis have nothing to do with anything. I just wanted to use them. Just be thankful I didn't use the butt sex emoji!!! (I never knew there was such a thing and hoping I forget it tomorrow morning)
Thought perhaps I should explain last night's post. I know there is such a thing as butt sex, just not that there is an emoji for it! I get a laugh at all the extra "Smilies" we have over here, especially as compared to OY. Many I don't get (I'm an old man). So if I hover the mouse over one of them, it gives me a description. Like "Chicken Catch" above, which I have no idea the subtler use of...if there is any. So when I saw one yellow ball bouncing on another, I was a bit surprised when the description was "Butt Sex". That is all. 8-}
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » June 4th, 2022, 7:32 pm

No need to explain, we all imagine a reason in our own head….
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 4th, 2022, 11:43 pm

dudog wrote:
June 4th, 2022, 6:52 pm
So if I hover the mouse over one of them, it gives me a description. Like "Chicken Catch" above, which I have no idea the subtler use of...if there is any. So when I saw one yellow ball bouncing on another, I was a bit surprised when the description was "Butt Sex". That is all. 8-}
We take great pride in the abundance of emojis here. 8-} :obscene-drinkingcheers:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
dudog

Post by dudog » June 5th, 2022, 9:30 am

Hmmm. Is Coach K, a devout R, turning into a D?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk ... li=BBnb7Kz

Tempted to post this OY, but I wouldn't know where. I haven't gotten a time-out in over a year! :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 5th, 2022, 10:24 am

dudog wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 9:30 am

Tempted to post this OY, but I wouldn't know where. I haven't gotten a time-out in over a year! :D
This quote (might be from a fan, but most likely not a Duke one) is hilarious.

"Holy crap. I agree with Coach K. And he’s a Republican," another fan tweeted.
OPK

Post by OPK » June 5th, 2022, 10:56 am

There are plenty of Republicans who believe that certain steps (such as universal background checks) can help. My guess is, most Wall Street Journal and country club Republicans do not own an assault rifle or have a stockpile of high-capacity magazines.

Very few of those Republicans can ever win a primary election, though, due to the NRA’s lobbying and political heft. Each party has its altars upon which homage must be made.

Interesting polling info:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/alisondurk ... 12283473db

On the ebb and flow of GOP support:
49%. That’s the share of Republicans that backed stricter gun laws after the Las Vegas shooting in October 2017, according to Morning Consult’s polling (versus 64% of voters overall), which marks the highest level of Republican support for more stringent regulations since at least 2015. By February 2018 (after the Parkland shooting), the GOP’s support had already fallen to 45%, and it was down to 34% by March 2021.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 5th, 2022, 11:47 am

OPK wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 10:56 am
There are plenty of Republicans who believe that certain steps (such as universal background checks) can help. My guess is, most Wall Street Journal and country club Republicans do not own an assault rifle or have a stockpile of high-capacity magazines.

Very few of those Republicans can ever win a primary election, though, due to the NRA’s lobbying and political heft. Each party has its altars upon which homage must be made.

49%. That’s the share of Republicans that backed stricter gun laws after the Las Vegas shooting in October 2017, according to Morning Consult’s polling (versus 64% of voters overall), which marks the highest level of Republican support for more stringent regulations since at least 2015. By February 2018 (after the Parkland shooting), the GOP’s support had already fallen to 45%, and it was down to 34% by March 2021.
So you're saying we missed our chance?

Those dropping numbers are depressing. X(
OPK

Post by OPK » June 5th, 2022, 1:11 pm

June 5th, 2022, 11:47 am
OPK wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 10:56 am

So you're saying we missed our chance?

Those dropping numbers are depressing. X(
“Too soon” quickly fades to “why now” . . . .

(followed quickly by: “your solution will not stop all incidents, so it’s not worth even considering (even though it might stop some).”)
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » June 5th, 2022, 3:50 pm

dudog wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 9:30 am

The Chronicle has a longer article on the same topic. I will take the hit and post it OY. I have a feeling it won't last long but what the heck. I have a lot of things I would like to post along with it (like those who disagree can take their rooting interests to Chapel Hell) but for the sake of it potentially staying up, I will refrain.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2 ... ng-coach-k

To OPK's point, I wish more of the anti-gun Republicans would speak up. Unfortunately, the primary system favors extremism so I'm not sure how much it will help, but it is worth a shot. I think the Dems are approaching this more wisely than they have in the past, going for some level of incremental change that might be acceptable to these types rather than putting out a long wish list authored by their most left-leaning members, which is what they usually do and is a recipe for disaster. Part of me thinks they should decide who the ten most reasonable Republicans are, sit them in a room and tell them to draft something. Doing something similar for abortion would also work.
dudog

Post by dudog » June 5th, 2022, 7:01 pm

All I can say is that the January 6 Committee better not lay an egg this week. They better bring the goods and bring the pain. I can't imagine Liz Cheney would be speaking like this if she couldn't back it up.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnbfcL
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » June 5th, 2022, 7:45 pm

dudog wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 7:01 pm
All I can say is that the January 6 Committee better not lay an egg this week. They better bring the goods and bring the pain. I can't imagine Liz Cheney would be speaking like this if she couldn't back it up.

Shooting someone on 5th Avenue (I was actually on 5th Avenue today and fortunately was not shot, though I did see an ambulance go by) - a large percentage of America doesn't care and will not believe a word that is said because they have been thoroughly brainwashed. Hopefully whatever they say has some real teeth behind it that can be prosecuted. But I am not optimistic.

And by the way, that is not a reverse jinx. Because I think reverse jinxes are the dumbest thing ever and are destroying DBR. But I digress...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 5th, 2022, 10:13 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 7:45 pm
Shooting someone on 5th Avenue (I was actually on 5th Avenue today and fortunately was not shot, though I did see an ambulance go by) - a large percentage of America doesn't care and will not believe a word that is said because they have been thoroughly brainwashed. Hopefully whatever they say has some real teeth behind it that can be prosecuted. But I am not optimistic.
Yup.
OPK

Post by OPK » June 6th, 2022, 7:14 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
dudog wrote:

And by the way, that is not a reverse jinx. Because I think reverse jinxes are the dumbest thing ever and are destroying DBR. But I digress...
We live in a post-truth world. Fox News will only mention the report to say how wrong and biased any attack on Trump is.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 6th, 2022, 12:03 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
June 5th, 2022, 3:50 pm
The Chronicle has a longer article on the same topic. I will take the hit and post it OY. I have a feeling it won't last long but what the heck.
Almost made it 24 hours. :naughty:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 6th, 2022, 3:42 pm

dudog wrote:

More fuel for the "this ain't going nowhere" fire.
The percentage of Americans who say former President Trump was responsible for the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol dropped to 45 percent in an NBC News poll released on Monday.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/percentage-a ... 05108.html
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » June 6th, 2022, 4:02 pm

June 6th, 2022, 3:42 pm
dudog wrote:

More fuel for the "this ain't going nowhere" fire.
The percentage of Americans who say former President Trump was responsible for the Jan. 6, 2021, riot at the U.S. Capitol dropped to 45 percent in an NBC News poll released on Monday.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/percentage-a ... 05108.html
Which, of course, means that more Americans believe that Biden is responsible for the economy than believe that Trump is responsible for January 6th. Democracy may not survive my lifespan.
dudog

Post by dudog » June 6th, 2022, 6:53 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
dudog wrote:

While I completely agree on the annoyance factor, this is demonstrably not true :p . Bill Maher recently addressed the rest of your post:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dMOfwUP0F0

"...we have to figure out how a country can solve any problem if so many of its people are so intractably, astoundingly, mind-numbingly stupid...this country just might be empirically, verifiably too fucking dumb to continue as an ongoing enterprise..."
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » June 9th, 2022, 8:47 am

Anyone have any thoughts or predictions for the prime-time January 6th hearings tonight? I don't ever recall a congressional hearing being explicitly scheduled for prime time, and frankly I think it is a mistake to do that. It is a transparent attempt to grab the limelight. On the other hand, maybe that breaks through the Fox noise machine? I'll be curious to see if anything in there moves the needle on our political version of WWI trench warfare.
dudog

Post by dudog » June 9th, 2022, 8:54 am

Phredd3 wrote:
June 9th, 2022, 8:47 am
Anyone have any thoughts or predictions for the prime-time January 6th hearings tonight? I don't ever recall a congressional hearing being explicitly scheduled for prime time, and frankly I think it is a mistake to do that. It is a transparent attempt to grab the limelight. On the other hand, maybe that breaks through the Fox noise machine? I'll be curious to see if anything in there moves the needle on our political version of WWI trench warfare.
I disagree wholeheartedly. If the first attempted internal overthrow of our government, by the President no less, isn't worth the limelight, then let's just flush the whole fucking thing down the toilet right now.