Garmin GPS Map Upgrade Time!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Garmin GPS Map Upgrade Time!

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 10th, 2009, 12:30 pm

This post is copied from what I put up on the DBR in an old GPS thread.

It's map upgrade time again y'all! The new 2010 maps for Garmin are out!

I traded in my Nuvi 680 at Costco for a Nuvi 780 about three months ago, and it came with a free map upgrade. It's a 2 gig download, and can takes quite a bit of time so be patient. One note. My download kept aborting at 54%. Tried it several times, finally called Garmin customer service and the first guy I spoke with got me to the software support section. This lady was fabulous! ... although it literally took us two days to fix my problem. (I lost internet connectivity in a thunderstorm yesterday afternoon and she called me back this morning after several failed attempts yesterday! I had called her on my Vonage VOIP phone line so it was down also.) She tried all sorts of work arounds which kept aborting at the same point. She was about to replace my unit with another one when we tried one last thing. Turned out that my new computer, which has an AMD processor chip uses a "generic" chip set and not a real Intel chip set, and this has been a problem for Garmin. We finally had me do the update through my Acer netbook, which has an Intel processor and chip set, and it worked like a champ!

I still heartily endorse the Garmin GPSs and their customer service department!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: Garmin GPS Map Upgrade Time!

Post by bjornolf » June 10th, 2009, 12:53 pm

I got a Garmin Nuvi 255W for Christmas. I keep meaning to update the map. I heard somewhere that you can get free map downloads somewhere for the Garmins. Where do you get them, and are they safe? Or should I go to garmin for it, and how much do they normally charge?

Thanks.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 10th, 2009, 1:37 pm

bjornolf wrote:I got a Garmin Nuvi 255W for Christmas. I keep meaning to update the map. I heard somewhere that you can get free map downloads somewhere for the Garmins. Where do you get them, and are they safe? Or should I go to garmin for it, and how much do they normally charge?

Thanks.

%%-
Go to www.garmin.com . Register your unit if you haven't (you'll have to set up your account if you haven't). Then click on the map upgrade button and check to see if you have a free upgrade due you - you might. If not, you can buy it (~$60 to $70) - either as a one time upgrade or, for more money ($120?), a lifetime upgrade, which is less than the cost of 2 upgrades - they even say something about quarterly upgrades being available instead of yearly on that option.

One thing I did learn when I called the customer service number is that they had some problems with the 200 series when it came to upgrades, and there is another download patch you'll need. Call their 800 number and listen to the recorded message, and be ready to write down the web address they give you. My problem with the 700 series was a problem with my computer, not their unit, sort of...

Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » June 10th, 2009, 1:40 pm

I think my Nuvi 660 might be getting sick. Acting fritzy. :(
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 10th, 2009, 2:11 pm

Sue71 wrote:I think my Nuvi 660 might be getting sick. Acting fritzy. :(
Redacting Redacting Redacting Redacting Redacting Redacting =)) =)) =)) =)) =))

Or are you being serious?

Sue71

Post by Sue71 » June 10th, 2009, 2:16 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

I am dead serious. It keeps popping up weird messages at random times, like "This device not supported" or something to that effect regarding the car charger. Huh? It came in the box with the unit and has worked all along. That's just one example.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 10th, 2009, 2:26 pm

Sue71 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

I am dead serious. It keeps popping up weird messages at random times, like "This device not supported" or something to that effect regarding the car charger. Huh? It came in the box with the unit and has worked all along. That's just one example.
OK, sorry, I was just ... never mind. You're probably having another rough day/week at work and the last thing I want to do is irritate you.

Take the battery out of the unit if you can and wait a few minutes (15?) before replacing it - that might clear out any glitches that have gotten into the software. If it doesn't help, check the Garmin website for updates, not just for the map. You can also call customer service (I had about a 30 minute wait on hold the first time I called) and ask them for help/advice. Also, I'll email the rep that I dealt with (we became friends over the last two days!) and ask her if she has any suggestions.

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 10th, 2009, 2:37 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:OK, sorry, I was just ... never mind. You're probably having another rough day/week at work and the last thing I want to do is irritate you.

Take the battery out of the unit if you can and wait a few minutes (15?) before replacing it - that might clear out any glitches that have gotten into the software. If it doesn't help, check the Garmin website for updates, not just for the map. You can also call customer service (I had about a 30 minute wait on hold the first time I called) and ask them for help/advice. Also, I'll email the rep that I dealt with (we became friends over the last two days!) and ask her if she has any suggestions.

Is SHE part of the harem too? Not that I'm jealous, okay perhaps a little. ;) ;)
I worship the Blue Devil!
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » June 10th, 2009, 3:18 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: OK, sorry, I was just ... never mind. You're probably having another rough day/week at work and the last thing I want to do is irritate you.

Nah, this week isn't sucking. Yet. :-s LOL ;;)

I'll try the battery trick and see how it does. I DO need to generally update it though, as I haven't done that for several months.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 10th, 2009, 3:27 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:OK, sorry, I was just ... never mind. You're probably having another rough day/week at work and the last thing I want to do is irritate you.

Is SHE part of the harem too? Not that I'm jealous, okay perhaps a little. ;) ;)
Not yet! ;)

I emailed you the answer she provided, but thought others might be interested too, so I'm copying it here.
Yes she can download the webupdater from our website and update/re load her system software and that should take care of the issue she is having. Here is the link to the web updater.

http://www8.garmin.com/products/webupda ... nstall.jsp
Clicking on that link takes you to a page that explains what to do and how to do it!

OK, here's what it says for those who are too lazy to look
WebUpdater

WebUpdater is a free application that lets you update your unit software from home. Download it once at the link below, and you can check for and install software updates without using your Internet web browser. Simply run WebUpdater from your computer, and it will do all of the work for you.
How Does WebUpdater Work?

WebUpdater's simple interface makes it easy to upgrade your operating software. Just connect your Garmin GPS to your computer, run WebUpdater, and follow the screen prompts. After confirming that you want to perform an update, WebUpdater will download that update for you and install it on your GPS. WebUpdater always checks for its own update first before performing a unit update. Unlike previous versions, you no longer need to download Web Updater everytime you upgrade your unit software. Once installed, simply run it from your computer —no need to download anything else yourself!

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 10th, 2009, 3:34 pm

Realizing I should have made the above at least 2 if not 3 posts, :D , I will add that the update I installed also corrected a "glitchy" voice that occasionally stuttered when starting a new word, like "Booker", which is the name of a main street (Booker Dairy Rd.) I drive on frequently. The voice would sort of lose the B in Booker.

It also corrected a road that wasn't really there (but was shown on the 2008 and 2009 maps) and has the Clayton US 70 bypass on it! I am thinking that the Greensboro I-40 bypass is there too, but I won't know for a while until I go that way again (went that way on Saturday to watch BD's play).

Sue71

Post by Sue71 » June 10th, 2009, 3:35 pm

Thanks... just got the email.

I have the webupdater, but just haven't connected the GPS to my computer recently to update it. I'll definitely do that.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 11th, 2009, 11:14 pm

I bought a Magellan Triton 400 today, I was looking at some Garmins but Walmart had a better selection of the Magellans, and this one came bundled with Natl. Geo's TOPO! explorer deluxe. I've been playing with it, it's lots of fun. I had a much older Magellan that I liked to take boating, but you couldn't really update it. This one has lots of available maps, I just gotta figure out how to use it. It should be a blast on the plane ride out west next week.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 12th, 2009, 12:10 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I bought a Magellan Triton 400 today, I was looking at some Garmins but Walmart had a better selection of the Magellans, and this one came bundled with Natl. Geo's TOPO! explorer deluxe. I've been playing with it, it's lots of fun. I had a much older Magellan that I liked to take boating, but you couldn't really update it. This one has lots of available maps, I just gotta figure out how to use it. It should be a blast on the plane ride out west next week.
I love seeing that I was going 557 mph! I kept that as the max speed on my unit for weeks. Even the flight crews (well, the stewards/stewardesses anyway) get a kick out of seeing the unit in the window and watching the screen for a few minutes.
Attachments
GPS in a Jet Liner.jpg