Re: The Offical Good Night Thread

Post by lawgrad91 » August 12th, 2010, 11:26 pm

Nighty-nite! CB&B, safe travels!
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 13th, 2010, 7:43 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Good night all...leaving for Virginia tomorrow as soon as I'm done with work...long weekend awaits me! :happy-bouncyblue:
Have fun traveling and :beer: hunting.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 13th, 2010, 8:51 am

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Good night all...leaving for Virginia tomorrow as soon as I'm done with work...long weekend awaits me! :happy-bouncyblue:
Have fun traveling and :beer: hunting.
Instead of going to Total Wine like my original plan, I'm going to go check this place out about 30 minutes from my parents' house.
http://www.vintagecellar.com/
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 14th, 2010, 4:10 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: Instead of going to Total Wine like my original plan, I'm going to go check this place out about 30 minutes from my parents' house.
If I may suggest another...Chateau Morrisette near Meadows of Dan, just north of Mabry Mill on the Parkway. Ymm.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 14th, 2010, 5:03 pm

captmojo wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: Instead of going to Total Wine like my original plan, I'm going to go check this place out about 30 minutes from my parents' house.
If I may suggest another...Chateau Morrisette near Meadows of Dan, just north of Mabry Mill on the Parkway. Ymm.
I used to live a few miles from Chateau Morrisette. The Black Dog Jazz Festivals are really fun. They're held once a month in the summer (I can't remember which Saturday).

The setting is really pretty, and the wines are pretty good, and reasonably priced.
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 14th, 2010, 5:06 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
I used to live a few miles from Chateau Morrisette. The Black Dog Jazz Festivals are really fun. They're held once a month in the summer (I can't remember which Saturday).

The setting is really pretty, and the wines are pretty good, and reasonably priced.
I caretake an old farm property nearby.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 14th, 2010, 5:12 pm

captmojo wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

I caretake an old farm property nearby.
In Patrick County? I practiced law in Patrick County for a while and lived in MOD, but when I went to work in Henry Co the drive was just too tough. That was before the road was four-laned, and it was foggy all the time going up or down the mountain.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 14th, 2010, 11:46 pm

Night all! :asleep:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 15th, 2010, 7:52 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
In Patrick County? I practiced law in Patrick County for a while and lived in MOD, but when I went to work in Henry Co the drive was just too tough. That was before the road was four-laned, and it was foggy all the time going up or down the mountain.
In greater, metropolitan Vesta. It's at the top of the hill above the confluence of Ivy creek and Cherry creek.

Rather than being stuck in Summerville, I should be up there dealing with yard issues. Why...I haven't mowed in 4 weeks... :-s :-
:-w :twitch:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 15th, 2010, 8:39 am

captmojo wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
In greater, metropolitan Vesta. It's at the top of the hill above the confluence of Ivy creek and Cherry creek.

Rather than being stuck in Summerville, I should be up there dealing with yard issues. Why...I haven't mowed in 4 weeks... :-s :-
:-w :twitch:
I LIVED IN VESTA! When I first moved to Patrick Co., I rented a cabin at Primland for a couple months, during their off-season. My PO box was in Vesta for a long time; when I went nobody told me the PO Boxes weren't accessible except between 8 and 5 during the week.

I remember Ivy Creek off the top of my head, but not Cherry Creek.
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 15th, 2010, 1:47 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
I LIVED IN VESTA! When I first moved to Patrick Co., I rented a cabin at Primland for a couple months, during their off-season. My PO box was in Vesta for a long time; when I went nobody told me the PO Boxes weren't accessible except between 8 and 5 during the week.

I remember Ivy Creek off the top of my head, but not Cherry Creek.
The old farm is on Cherry Creek Rd. VA639 turns off 58 between Vesta Supply and Little Ivy store. Good friends of mine own each store. 639 is paved all the way through now and trying to give directions to anyone is hard because of the change. I used to be able to say "Follow until the pavement ends, then go x". Can't use those anymore. I have other friends that live on Busted Rock Rd. We have a nice wilderness style camping area, free of charge. Our only request is that the only thing you leave behind are footprints.

I've become too old to want to deal with the rigors of such camping, so when the property owner offered the old farmhouse to me I couldn't say no. I like the place too much to turn that deal down. The First Mate has trouble getting away from home so our time has been very limited up there lately. Still, the time will come when she is more able to get out, so it's worth it to keep it available for us. It's a very small price to pay when compared to what other people consider the 'standard vacation'.

We used to keep a PO box there too but later dropped it. There is a mailbox at the house but the mail we were getting up there was all junk.

Small world. :D
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 15th, 2010, 5:44 pm

captmojo wrote:The old farm is on Cherry Creek Rd. VA639 turns off 58 between Vesta Supply and Little Ivy store. Good friends of mine own each store. 639 is paved all the way through now and trying to give directions to anyone is hard because of the change. I used to be able to say "Follow until the pavement ends, then go x". Can't use those anymore. I have other friends that live on Busted Rock Rd. We have a nice wilderness style camping area, free of charge. Our only request is that the only thing you leave behind are footprints.

I've become too old to want to deal with the rigors of such camping, so when the property owner offered the old farmhouse to me I couldn't say no. I like the place too much to turn that deal down. The First Mate has trouble getting away from home so our time has been very limited up there lately. Still, the time will come when she is more able to get out, so it's worth it to keep it available for us. It's a very small price to pay when compared to what other people consider the 'standard vacation'.

We used to keep a PO box there too but later dropped it. There is a mailbox at the house but the mail we were getting up there was all junk.

Small world. :D
Very small world! When I lived up there Barnie Day ran Vesta Supply. He had graduated from Duke and that other school down the road, as I recall.

The house I rented was on Busted Rock Road, and when I moved, it was right behind the Meadows of Dan Post Office. I ran with Vesta Rescue when I lived up there but unfortunately let my EMT lapse. People got a little freaked at a car accident when a lawyer showed up with a rebreather mask and a call sheet, so it was probably just as well.
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 15th, 2010, 7:46 pm

The current owner of Vesta Supply was a co-worker of mine that officially retired 6 weeks ago. His father was the owner, who fell ill and died, ownership was passed before the fact. He told me a few months ago that, from the grill (they have one now) they were voted "best burger on the mountain". :)) They should put up a sign in front to declare it.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 15th, 2010, 8:43 pm

captmojo wrote:The current owner of Vesta Supply was a co-worker of mine that officially retired 6 weeks ago. His father was the owner, who fell ill and died, ownership was passed before the fact. He told me a few months ago that, from the grill (they have one now) they were voted "best burger on the mountain". :)) They should put up a sign in front to declare it.
How many places have burgers on the mountain? I wish them good luck. I always like Vesta Supply. You can find just about anything there.
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 15th, 2010, 10:02 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
How many places have burgers on the mountain? I wish them good luck. I always like Vesta Supply. You can find just about anything there.
Little Ivy store has grill also. :ymsick: No,no,no. They're both actually edible...not bad in a pinch. :twitch:

Maybe we should re-title this thread 'Life in Vesta'. :D
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 15th, 2010, 10:19 pm

Good night everyone. Tomorrow is hopefully a better day. I'll believe it when it happens. :twitch:
:violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin: :violin:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 15th, 2010, 10:30 pm

Capt, I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

I'm off to bed myself. I decided that Nyquil-induced bizarre dreams would be better than a night of coughing.

Now it's time to say good-bye to all our family.... :asleep:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 15th, 2010, 10:33 pm

Good night! Sleep tight! Don't let the bedbugs bite! :sleeping-sleeping:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 15th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Too many exciting events the last 24 hours. Today is just about officially over at the DD household. :asleep:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » August 16th, 2010, 6:58 am

I can't think of anything to say, this morning, about last night.
:face desk: