LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » August 1st, 2010, 6:45 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I also continue to buy BP. Most of their gas stations are locally owned and boycotting them just hurts the local small business owner. And who would I go to instead? Exxon? Shouldn't I still be pissed off at them for the Valdez? Shitgo? Do I really want to send my money to Hugo Chavez? There's no good answer on which evil corporate overlord to buy petroleum products from.
Someone OY made a point (maybe captmojo?) that buying gas from BP gives them money to shell out in order to pay for the oil spill.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 1st, 2010, 6:48 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:It's a moderator festival now. The only ones present are CathyCA, Lavabe, Lawgrad91 and a guest..
Cathy, we've run everyone else off with our warnings and snarky comments about needless postings. =)) =))
If you do I'll start our own website. =))
We could take the lead from a moderator over yonder and insist that all the posters PM us as to where they should post.
:twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch: :twitch:
8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-} 8-}

I think we need more pirate threads over here. :AR! :Pirate:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 1st, 2010, 6:51 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:I also continue to buy BP. Most of their gas stations are locally owned and boycotting them just hurts the local small business owner. And who would I go to instead? Exxon? Shouldn't I still be pissed off at them for the Valdez? Shitgo? Do I really want to send my money to Hugo Chavez? There's no good answer on which evil corporate overlord to buy petroleum products from.
Someone OY made a point (maybe captmojo?) that buying gas from BP gives them money to shell out in order to pay for the oil spill.
:|
No offense to you or to whoever made the post...but that is errant logic...leave it to the Americans to pay for BP to clean up their mess? Fortunately though, BP has already had to pony up the money in the trust account that they setup. They are bagizillionaires anyways..they can afford the costs even if they were booted the hell out of the country and lost all of their drilling licenses.
This is getting to be a bit PBBish though...:naughty:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 1st, 2010, 6:51 pm

Lavabe wrote:I think we need more pirate threads over here. :AR! :Pirate:
We need Wilson. :-w
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 1st, 2010, 6:59 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Citco is also owned by locals. It's sad to think but I do believe if any of the gas companies pulled out of the US, would put our country in more of a bind then we are now. What burns me up is not taking advantage of technology for so many years to free us needing so much oil.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 1st, 2010, 8:17 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
:|
No offense to you or to whoever made the post...but that is errant logic...leave it to the Americans to pay for BP to clean up their mess? Fortunately though, BP has already had to pony up the money in the trust account that they setup. They are bagizillionaires anyways..they can afford the costs even if they were booted the hell out of the country and lost all of their drilling licenses.
This is getting to be a bit PBBish though...:naughty:
We're going to end up paying for this mess one way or another. I'd rather voluntarily pay for the clean up, then be forced into it by being taxed.
I worship the Blue Devil!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 1st, 2010, 9:10 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
CathyCA wrote:It's a moderator festival now. The only ones present are CathyCA, Lavabe, Lawgrad91 and a guest..
Cathy, we've run everyone else off with our warnings and snarky comments about needless postings. =)) =))
And the bans. You forgot everyone we banned. =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 1st, 2010, 9:12 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
Mods-R-Us?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 1st, 2010, 9:27 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: Someone OY made a point (maybe captmojo?)

We're going to end up paying for this mess one way or another. I'd rather voluntarily pay for the clean up, then be forced into it by being taxed.
Yeah. That was me.

Yeah. That was my reasoning. I'd like to think differently but reality makes me believe that BP's punishment should be that the moneys to pay for clean-up should come from their profits and not from our tax dollars. Reality also tells me that those same dollars are gonna come from our pockets, one way or another. The best way, the only way, BP will truly understand the damage they have done is to hit them where it hurts. The only place that is, is their profit/loss statement.

There is the fact that there are too many eggs in one basket amongst British pensioners and a lot of American retirement savings accounts. I was one of them. I sold off at a loss and put the remainder in something else. Many others don't have a choice in making a change and depend on BP for subsistence. I took my losses, but many more others can't afford for BP to no longer exist.

I don't wanna go the old PPB. I just want to see the best solution and I'm not sure that a bankruptcy of the company would be the most beneficial for all. There are millions of people that know better than me about the subject and I'll be the first to admit that fact. My F150 does run well on their fuel and I usually get a little better gas mileage when using it.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 1st, 2010, 10:30 pm

Holy crap. A civil PPB-like discussion. No name-calling. No politics. Well done folks.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 1st, 2010, 10:36 pm

captmojo wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: Someone OY made a point (maybe captmojo?)

Yeah. That was me.

Yeah. That was my reasoning. I'd like to think differently but reality makes me believe that BP's punishment should be that the moneys to pay for clean-up should come from their profits and not from our tax dollars. Reality also tells me that those same dollars are gonna come from our pockets, one way or another. The best way, the only way, BP will truly understand the damage they have done is to hit them where it hurts. The only place that is, is their profit/loss statement.

There is the fact that there are too many eggs in one basket amongst British pensioners and a lot of American retirement savings accounts. I was one of them. I sold off at a loss and put the remainder in something else. Many others don't have a choice in making a change and depend on BP for subsistence. I took my losses, but many more others can't afford for BP to no longer exist.

I don't wanna go the old PPB. I just want to see the best solution and I'm not sure that a bankruptcy of the company would be the most beneficial for all. There are millions of people that know better than me about the subject and I'll be the first to admit that fact. My F150 does run well on their fuel and I usually get a little better gas mileage when using it.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled program.
Thanks for expounding. Your reasoning seems pretty sound to me. I hadn't though about it this way at all until I read your post. I had been buying BP gas before the big spill and had stopped. You convinced me to go back.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 1st, 2010, 10:53 pm

BP also has a gas credit card that gives you 5% off your gas purchases, making them a few cents cheaper than even the Hess/Wilco or other "independent" stations. And, no, we don't have one.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 1st, 2010, 10:54 pm

devildeac wrote:Holy crap. A civil PPB-like discussion. No name-calling. No politics. Well done folks.
Maybe we should transfer it to the LTE and ask where we should post it ;;) .
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 2nd, 2010, 1:04 am

lawgrad91 wrote:

:)) :)) :))
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 2nd, 2010, 1:47 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote: No offense to you or to whoever made the post...but that is errant logic...leave it to the Americans to pay for BP to clean up their mess? Fortunately though, BP has already had to pony up the money in the trust account that they setup. They are bagizillionaires anyways..they can afford the costs even if they were booted the hell out of the country and lost all of their drilling licenses.

No offense intended here either but I fail to see why BP should be forced to pay for this when American companies don't pay for their fuck-ups. Occidental has never paid a penny to the families of the people they killed in the Piper Alpha disaster (one that hits close to home for me).

There have been other leaks in the Gulf that haven't resulted in the same vitriol against the company involved as this one has which makes me suspect that much of the vitriol is a result of the company being British. When was the last time anyone heard anything about the Taylor spill in the gulf? That one has been going on since 2004! Yes, that's right - it has been going on since 2004. There is another recent spill going on in the Gulf (a tugboat hit an abandoned well-head) but I don't remember hearing much about that one. Both those spills involved American companies yet everyone is screaming about a British company. Union Carbide never paid a penny for the Bhopal disaster either (compensation was paid but only from an insurance policy - Union Carbide never had to pay a cent of its own money as compensation for all the lives lost) but where is the outrage over that? Seems like a bit of a double standard to me.

I certainly do not want to go off on a PPB-type rant but it really sticks in my craw to hear Americans freaking out about the BP spill when American companies never seem to face the same reaction when they screw up elsewhere in the world. I am not unsympathetic to those affected by this spill nor am I ignoring the environmental impact but, personally, I think the lives lost on Piper Alpha were way more important than any damage caused in the Gulf yet that American company has never ever been made to accept responsibility for either those deaths or the environmental damage caused by the accident while BP is being pilloried because of this accident.

Piper Alpha hits very close to home for me because I have a family member who was on it (he survived, one of only fifty-nine men who did) and who lost a large number of friends in that disaster. He still can't really talk about it. Despite that, he continues to work as an electrician on the rigs and his son, my cousin, is a couple of years into his apprenticeship as an electrician on the rigs as well. I also have other relatives who work on the rigs (mostly as electricians for some strange reason). Every time there is the slightest problem out in the North Sea, even just from bad weather, our family holds its collective breath until we find out everyone is safe. I can still remember the fear in my Mom's face when she got the phone call informing her of the disaster aboard Piper Alpha and how hard it was on our family waiting to hear that he was safe. I wouldn't wish that on anyone. We nearly lost someone but we got lucky. A great number of families, however, weren't as lucky as we were. That American company has never faced justice for all those deaths but BP is being ripped to shreds because of an oil spill. To me, nothing BP has done can ever compare to what Occidental did and the double-standard really ticks me off. Actually, the hypocrisy really really bothers me as it makes it seem like some ruined beaches are more important than people's lives. Maybe it is because they were Scottish lives that they don't matter.

Forgive me for posting this. As I said, I do not want to start a PPB-type discussion but this issue hits really really close to home for me and I had to get this off my chest. If this post accomplishes anything maybe it will be to make people realize that there are some things, like people's lives, that are more important than a few million gallons of oil leaking out.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 2nd, 2010, 3:05 am

I've reconsidered my previous post as I am not sure it is appropriate for either this thread or our little corner of cyberspace so if any of the mods feel it is appropriate to do so they are free to delete it entirely.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 2nd, 2010, 7:46 am

colchar wrote:I've reconsidered my previous post as I am not sure it is appropriate for either this thread or our little corner of cyberspace so if any of the mods feel it is appropriate to do so they are free to delete it entirely.
Meh,...as you said...got it off your chest..and it's in the LTE...it will be doomed to obscurity soon enough. :ymdevil:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 2nd, 2010, 7:53 am

colchar wrote:I've reconsidered my previous post as I am not sure it is appropriate for either this thread or our little corner of cyberspace so if any of the mods feel it is appropriate to do so they are free to delete it entirely.
Heck, I'd be fine if you started another thread with this discussion. Yea, it's PPB-type material, but it's also social consciousness, business and environmental issues, too. It would be a lot more interesting to read and partcitpate in this than in a 2000+ post recruiting thread. Or three. :Boo:
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 2nd, 2010, 7:59 am

Meh,...as you said...got it off your chest..and it's in the LTE...it will be doomed to obscurity soon enough. :ymdevil:
And on a lighter note...you know, that long post could have been broken up into several that would have really padded your post count. ;) :D
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 2nd, 2010, 8:01 am

See my PM.

KEEP IT ON THE LTE, DUDE!! :ymapplause:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.