LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » June 29th, 2010, 10:37 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Flight delayed to GSO due to lightning. Sigh. At least I have a Coke and have visited the ladies' room.

Sob story is regarding visit with FIL. He has given up his desire to live. Not physically ill but in a major depressive episode and is taking MIL (who waits on him hand and foot) with him. So major trauma for family. They are staunch Baptists and do not drink.
I'm so sorry that you have to deal with this. (((HUGS)))
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 29th, 2010, 10:59 pm

Flight now cancelled. EJ got a couch we can crash on? Now we are booked for a 927 flight tomorrow and B is in line to blow his stack @ the flight people. Now I really need a drink.
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 30th, 2010, 7:47 am

Good morning. Last full day here. :(
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 30th, 2010, 8:24 am

lawgrad91 wrote:Flight now cancelled. EJ got a couch we can crash on? Now we are booked for a 927 flight tomorrow and B is in line to blow his stack @ the flight people. Now I really need a drink.
That sucks, hope the night went well for you.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 30th, 2010, 2:16 pm

Yay, I'm home! Dogs are also home :O3 :O3 Flight from Atlanta left half an hour late, and when we got to Greensboro, Bruce backed the car over his reading glasses. Kind of par for the course.

My inlaws were Baptist missionaries to Ghana for 30+ years. They moved back to the US in the 80's or early 90's and settled in Tacoma. FIL got a job as a pastor to senior citizens and did courier service of documents to funeral homes; MIL went back to college and in her 60's got her BS in Nursing, then took a job at a local hospital. (she is an impressive woman; give her any clean topic and she can tell a joke about it).

At any rate, FIL has had heart problems in the past. Last fall he had a defibrillator implanted, and he gave up both his jobs. Even before that, apparently, he was having some issues with depression. Since then, he has totally quit on life, and he's dragging MIL down with him. Physically, he has no real issues that any other 80 year old doesn't have, but he is determined that he is too weak to get up and get things from the kitchen, so MIL has to do it for him. He got mad at her for turning pages too loudly, and if there are any people around, he insists in being in the room but wears earplugs so that he doesn't have to be involved with anyone else. Except when he forgets, he insists on using a walker, but occasionally he forgets.

The family (Bruce has two sisters, who are stories in themselves) believed that he could be cured through prayer and seeking the will of God. When that didn't work, they tried various other counselors. Eventually the counselors suggested medication, with no positive results (he's supposed to try Prozac beginning this week; they've tried everything else).

So most of our trip was bound up in being with Bruce's dad when it was convenient for him, or we played board games. (Board games! Does anyone else play board games anymore?) They played Rook ("real" card games are of the devil, I guess). There wasn't any television, except the World Cup game. No alcohol, except one lunch when we managed to escape and I had wine, and then in the Seattle Airport yesterday). Bruce wanted to spend as much time with his dad as possible, since the family believes he won't be around much longer.

Thanks, CTN family, for keeping me sane for the last week and for letting me bend your virtual ear. :ymhug:
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 30th, 2010, 3:26 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Yay, I'm home! Dogs are also home :O3 :O3 Flight from Atlanta left half an hour late, and when we got to Greensboro, Bruce backed the car over his reading glasses. Kind of par for the course.
At least you didn't get sent back to the airport because of falling maggots. :ymsick:
http://www.witn.com/home/headlines/97504514.html
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 30th, 2010, 3:30 pm

I think watching your parents age is one of the hardest things we have to do. I'm glad you were there for Mr. lawgrad91 and that we could be here for you. I do think prayers, in addition to good medical and mental health care, help, so you will all be in my prayers. Vibes and prayers that something comes along to kick FIL in the ass and get him back among the world.

Hang in there = and enjoy being back at your own home.

DinK

PS - yes, some families still play board games and various card games. Of course, our family plays croquet in the snow wearing goofy hats, so I guess we aren't a family to use as a measuring stick.
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 30th, 2010, 4:12 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Yay, I'm home! Dogs are also home :O3 :O3 Flight from Atlanta left half an hour late, and when we got to Greensboro, Bruce backed the car over his reading glasses. Kind of par for the course.

My inlaws were Baptist missionaries to Ghana for 30+ years. They moved back to the US in the 80's or early 90's and settled in Tacoma. FIL got a job as a pastor to senior citizens and did courier service of documents to funeral homes; MIL went back to college and in her 60's got her BS in Nursing, then took a job at a local hospital. (she is an impressive woman; give her any clean topic and she can tell a joke about it).

At any rate, FIL has had heart problems in the past. Last fall he had a defibrillator implanted, and he gave up both his jobs. Even before that, apparently, he was having some issues with depression. Since then, he has totally quit on life, and he's dragging MIL down with him. Physically, he has no real issues that any other 80 year old doesn't have, but he is determined that he is too weak to get up and get things from the kitchen, so MIL has to do it for him. He got mad at her for turning pages too loudly, and if there are any people around, he insists in being in the room but wears earplugs so that he doesn't have to be involved with anyone else. Except when he forgets, he insists on using a walker, but occasionally he forgets.

The family (Bruce has two sisters, who are stories in themselves) believed that he could be cured through prayer and seeking the will of God. When that didn't work, they tried various other counselors. Eventually the counselors suggested medication, with no positive results (he's supposed to try Prozac beginning this week; they've tried everything else).

So most of our trip was bound up in being with Bruce's dad when it was convenient for him, or we played board games. (Board games! Does anyone else play board games anymore?) They played Rook ("real" card games are of the devil, I guess). There wasn't any television, except the World Cup game. No alcohol, except one lunch when we managed to escape and I had wine, and then in the Seattle Airport yesterday). Bruce wanted to spend as much time with his dad as possible, since the family believes he won't be around much longer.

Thanks, CTN family, for keeping me sane for the last week and for letting me bend your virtual ear. :ymhug:
You are a good wife and daughter-in-law.

I hope the Prozac helps. If your FIL won't take it, the rest of you might want to get your own prescriptions.

I'm glad that you're home FINALLY!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 30th, 2010, 5:59 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:our family plays croquet in the snow wearing goofy hats, so I guess we aren't a family to use as a measuring stick.
We played croquet with the nieces and nephews on Saturday, but begged out of the full-contact croquet game at the end of the afternoon. No goofy hats though, or snow.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 30th, 2010, 6:12 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:our family plays croquet in the snow wearing goofy hats, so I guess we aren't a family to use as a measuring stick.
We played croquet with the nieces and nephews on Saturday, but begged out of the full-contact croquet game at the end of the afternoon. No goofy hats though, or snow.
We do get a few strange looks from the neighbors. I think we only play croquet on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Snow is great - you can fashion snow ramps for those wickets you are having trouble approaching. I especially like playing in the mink pillbox hat with the little veil. :D We may be goofy - but we do have a good time together as a family. Of course - I wonder what my sister's kids tell their friends in PA about us. :-s
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 30th, 2010, 6:37 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
We do get a few strange looks from the neighbors. I think we only play croquet on Thanksgiving and Christmas. Snow is great - you can fashion snow ramps for those wickets you are having trouble approaching. I especially like playing in the mink pillbox hat with the little veil. :D We may be goofy - but we do have a good time together as a family. Of course - I wonder what my sister's kids tell their friends in PA about us. :-s
Nice! Do you have pictures?
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 30th, 2010, 7:36 pm

lg91, you've done your duty and way beyond. I just spent a couple of hours (split between today and Monday, with my Mom and Dad. Here's a picture of my clan, at his nursing home. For 96, other than being out of his mind 80% of the time, he's doing pretty well. He kept wanting to hold the baby, but NOT by himself for fear of hurting her. When he's got it, he's still got it! B-)
Attachments
DSCN1064.JPG
Some people think I look a little like my dad...

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 30th, 2010, 7:39 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:lg91, you've done your duty and way beyond. I just spent a couple of hours (split between today and Monday, with my Mom and Dad. Here's a picture of my clan, at his nursing home. For 96, other than being out of his mind 80% of the time, he's doing pretty well. He kept wanting to hold the baby, but NOT by himself for fear of hurting her. When he's got it, he's still got it! B-)
Ozzie, you look just like your dad. Kudos to you for spending time on your vacation with them.

How was your vacation, btw?
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 30th, 2010, 7:42 pm

OMG, Ozzie! You are your dad's Mini-Me!

What a great four-generation picture.

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 30th, 2010, 7:46 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote: my Mom and Dad. Here's a picture of my clan, at his nursing home. For 96,
For the record, my dad robbed the cradle. :-o He was 36 and my mom was only 20 when they got married. B-) And yes, they celebrated their 60th anniversary last April 8th, not that he was really aware of it, but she was. I think I mentioned that here at the time.

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 30th, 2010, 7:47 pm

CathyCA wrote:OMG, Ozzie! You are your dad's Mini-Me!

What a great four-generation picture.
Thanks! The four-generation thing was our intent! :D

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 30th, 2010, 8:32 pm

Love the picture, Ozzie. 96 is pretty incredible. Assuming you've got the genes, Duke will have you shouting 9F for many, many years!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 30th, 2010, 10:03 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Love the picture, Ozzie. 96 is pretty incredible. Assuming you've got the genes, Duke will have you shouting 9F for many, many years!
I figure I'm a about half way up the hill...

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 30th, 2010, 10:09 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:lg91, you've done your duty and way beyond. I just spent a couple of hours (split between today and Monday, with my Mom and Dad. Here's a picture of my clan, at his nursing home. For 96, other than being out of his mind 80% of the time, he's doing pretty well. He kept wanting to hold the baby, but NOT by himself for fear of hurting her. When he's got it, he's still got it! B-)
Your Dad doesn't look a day over 56...

Or, should I say, you look closer to 96...

:)) =))

The apple certainly did not fall or roll very far from the tree...

;)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » June 30th, 2010, 11:45 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote: quote="DukieInKansas" our family plays croquet in the snow wearing goofy hats, so I guess we aren't a family to use as a measuring stick. /quote

Nice! Do you have pictures?
I'll have to see if I have a digital copy. We used it when Dad sent his last Christmas letter to friends. My cousins daughter thought we looked weird and didn't want to get together with us - so she went to boxing class instead. And she thought we were strange. :-\
Life is good!