LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by lawgrad91 » June 21st, 2010, 8:58 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:CRAAAAAP!!! I didn't get accepted into the Franklink Square summer show. Until I actually see the show hung I won't know whether to feel insulted or not. Judging is so weird, but I've entered enough shows now to know that rejection is part of the territory of the art world and I take it with a grain of salt. Unfortunatley if I see weak art hanging where I know mine could have been, then the grains of salt feel like they are sitting in an open wound. Oh well, there are more shows coming up that I'm entering, so I will keep you posted. Thanks to all for the good luck wishes, I'll save them for next time! :ymtongue:
Bummer. I'm so sorry. I definitely feel shin kicks going their way.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 21st, 2010, 9:15 pm

captmojo wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I'm getting a new water heater today!

The plumber has only made 10 visits on the warranty since New Year's Day. I finally convinced the warranty company that it was cheaper to install a new water heater than to pay the plumber to come out and make regular repairs. Of course, by now, the existing water heater is almost entirely rebuilt. . .

I'm also getting the guy to install a ceiling fan in my breakfast room today.
I can't believe it made it this far without a...

Smart Ass Alert!

Does the ceiling fan use water? Heat water? Pour water? Water the breakfast room, perhaps? :-?

Seriously, I hope you have many hot showers, available at will, in your future and no more heater troubles.
Good negotiations. :-BD
As it turns out, the guy who was installing the fan was NOT an electrician. So, he tried his best and then had to call in another guy from the maintenance company to check his work. :hits the fan: I'm only a little surprised that the ceiling fan isn't sprinkling water all over the breakfast room.

Thanks for your good wishes, Cap'n.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 21st, 2010, 9:17 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:CRAAAAAP!!! I didn't get accepted into the Franklink Square summer show. Until I actually see the show hung I won't know whether to feel insulted or not. Judging is so weird, but I've entered enough shows now to know that rejection is part of the territory of the art world and I take it with a grain of salt. Unfortunatley if I see weak art hanging where I know mine could have been, then the grains of salt feel like they are sitting in an open wound. Oh well, there are more shows coming up that I'm entering, so I will keep you posted. Thanks to all for the good luck wishes, I'll save them for next time! :ymtongue:
I've gotten some nice responses on facebook from other artist friends of mine. Each of them has amazing talent, you would think there is no way on this planet that they would be rejected, but it happens all the time. It's very similar to what writers must go through, tons of rejection letters sitting next to their best selling novel.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 21st, 2010, 9:26 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Miles wrote:I'm not sure the plumber gets paid premium dollars on warranty repairs. In fact, there's a good possibility that the plumber is getting squadoosh. I'm not sure if the appliance/home service world is the same as computer hardware but there plenty of agreements between "authorized service providers" and the manufacturer they represent where the service provider doesn't get paid for the warranty work, they're only reimbursed for parts and handling.

:obscene-tolietclaw: The plumber gets $60 per visit, unless it's a visit to correct the previous repair, for which he gets zero/nada/zippy. He signed up for this warranty repair service as a way to make new client contacts. It's a marketing thing for him.

He made some money from his visit today. I paid him $125 to install my lovely new ceiling fan.

And I have a new water heater now!!!
Yay for a new water heater and ceiling fan for CathyCA!!!

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
I worship the Blue Devil!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 21st, 2010, 9:27 pm

DukePA wrote:
Damn. Those old ladies better prepare for some mental shin kicks
Yeah! Mental shin kicks and business cards to a good optometrist or ophthalmologist!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 21st, 2010, 9:31 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
I've gotten some nice responses on facebook from other artist friends of mine. Each of them has amazing talent, you would think there is no way on this planet that they would be rejected, but it happens all the time. It's very similar to what writers must go through, tons of rejection letters sitting next to their best selling novel.

Your art is wonderful, and the next show may be your best show.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 21st, 2010, 9:33 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
Miles wrote:I'm not sure the plumber gets paid premium dollars on warranty repairs. In fact, there's a good possibility that the plumber is getting squadoosh. I'm not sure if the appliance/home service world is the same as computer hardware but there plenty of agreements between "authorized service providers" and the manufacturer they represent where the service provider doesn't get paid for the warranty work, they're only reimbursed for parts and handling.

:obscene-tolietclaw: The plumber gets $60 per visit, unless it's a visit to correct the previous repair, for which he gets zero/nada/zippy. He signed up for this warranty repair service as a way to make new client contacts. It's a marketing thing for him.

He made some money from his visit today. I paid him $125 to install my lovely new ceiling fan.

And I have a new water heater now!!!
Yay for a new water heater and ceiling fan for CathyCA!!!

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
Thank you, Tilly. It's not a Hunter ceiling fan like yours, but it's a cool ceiling fan!

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 21st, 2010, 9:43 pm

CathyCA wrote:Thank you, Tilly. It's not a Hunter ceiling fan like yours, but it's a cool ceiling fan!
I am so excited about ceiling fans, I'm thinking about putting one in the back bedroom and my kitchen. The kitchen gets pretty hot when the dryer is running.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 21st, 2010, 9:55 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Thank you, Tilly. It's not a Hunter ceiling fan like yours, but it's a cool ceiling fan!
I am so excited about ceiling fans, I'm thinking about putting one in the back bedroom and my kitchen. The kitchen gets pretty hot when the dryer is running.
I have early onset Alzheimer's or something. I can't remember the name of my fan's manufacturer. It's not Hunter, but it starts with an H and I bought it at Lowe's.

I love the "cool" of fans.

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 21st, 2010, 11:00 pm

Earljam better appreciate my signature. I got it while watching Futurama last night. Bender channeled EJ, and someone out there in internetland actually turned the screen capture from the scene into a signature sized image, with words to boot!

(By the way, it's from the episode where the Planet Express crew gets stuck on a planet with the cast of the original Star Trek and the biggest space alien Trekkie in the universe. It was funny as hell.)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 22nd, 2010, 1:25 am

You are taking it better than I am. I'm sending shin kicks their way for being so short sighted.
Life is good!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 22nd, 2010, 7:11 am

I ordered a Nook several hours before they lowered the price and then Amazon dropped the prices on the Kindle. I tried to cancel the order but it was already in shipping. I hope they don't make me go through the silliness of returning it to get the lower price.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 22nd, 2010, 7:15 am

Miles wrote:
Miles wrote:Coffee. Eggs in a Basket. Bacon. World Cup.
Portugal just put on a clinic, taking down North Korea 7-0. Ouch.

Should be some interesting matches today. Particularly Uruguay and Mexico.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 22nd, 2010, 7:44 am

CathyCA wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
I have early onset Alzheimer's or something. I can't remember the name of my fan's manufacturer. It's not Hunter, but it starts with an H and I bought it at Lowe's.

I love the "cool" of fans.
I'd bet it's Hampton Bay. I've read good things about their fans.

When I crank up the ceiling fan in the living room, it makes me cold. :D :D
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » June 22nd, 2010, 8:23 am

YmoBeThere wrote:
Miles wrote:
Miles wrote:Coffee. Eggs in a Basket. Bacon. World Cup.
Portugal just put on a clinic, taking down North Korea 7-0. Ouch.

Should be some interesting matches today. Particularly Uruguay and Mexico.
I know! I'm excited and will be relocating from the office to the sofa in about thirty minutes.
sMiles
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 22nd, 2010, 8:45 am

TillyGalore wrote:
I'd bet it's Hampton Bay. I've read good things about their fans.

When I crank up the ceiling fan in the living room, it makes me cold. :D :D
That's it! Hampton Bay.

Did I mention that I love my ceiling fans? :text-woo:

~ James Naismith
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 22nd, 2010, 10:28 am

Apparently there's a smurf movie coming out next year. My wife and kids are definitely gonna wanna see this one. Here's a trailer:

http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi4122347033/

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » June 22nd, 2010, 11:38 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
Rolvix wrote:I'm participating in a 70s style Hobie Cat regatta at camp this summer. I am SO pumped.
Rolvix, how was Haiti?
Haiti was AWESOME. I can't even explain it haha.

If you want I can post a link to the photo sharing sight that has all of the pictures from the trip on it. (Is that appropriate on an internet forum though?)

Actually I'll PM it to you if you want!
Class of 2014
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 22nd, 2010, 12:10 pm

Rolvix, any way you want to do it is fine. I'm sure other people will want to see as well.
Iron Duke #1471997.
Miles

Post by Miles » June 22nd, 2010, 12:56 pm

Rolvix wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:
Rolvix wrote:I'm participating in a 70s style Hobie Cat regatta at camp this summer. I am SO pumped.
Rolvix, how was Haiti?
Haiti was AWESOME. I can't even explain it haha.

If you want I can post a link to the photo sharing sight that has all of the pictures from the trip on it. (Is that appropriate on an internet forum though?)

Actually I'll PM it to you if you want!
It is definitely appropriate to share a link to another site UNLESS either site has specific rules against it. In CTN's case, you are free, and encouraged, to post the link. Heck, you could even start a thread. ;)
sMiles