Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » April 11th, 2010, 2:18 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: I think it was a bit strong for her tatste. :D
Worthy of "plam" treatment... but I'm not going to do it. ;)
Isn't tatste some kind of fly in Africa?

:)) :)) =)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 11th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Did some brew trading with devildeac after an excellent lunch break from the road, filled with great conversation. I'm not sure why, but we talked alot about some game that was played recently. The trading was a great finish..as well as picking up my brew order from the liquor barn. (I think it's odd that the best beer shops don't mention beer..."wines and wares" "total wine" "liqour barn".) I picked up 3 traders for dd that I matched for myself, only because I hadn't had them before. The first one for me was New Belgium's Ranger IPA.
I'm not a huge fan of New Belgium. It was nice seeing the Flat Tire, 1554, and the occasional seasonal...but for the price I was pretty dissapointed. I'd never seen the Ranger before, and I was tied between this and one other, which I really think was the Trippel. DD says you can't get that here, but dd, go back and look. I think TW has it. I opted for the Ranger and I'm really happy, NB has restored my faith in trying them again. It's a classic IPA, and that's all I wanted. Very fresh tasting hops, I'd put it right between Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale and Torpedo. Obviously the same variety hops are used, they are that close. Very floral, less body than SN's Torpedo. Very pale in color, so that fooled me on the flavor to come, it's abundant and bitter. Slightly "piney", awesome retention on the head. (Retention is noted by how much of the head remains on the glass after the bubbles have faded away). The head on this brew was a beauty too, I couldn't pour it in one shot without spilling over, very healthy and active. Hopefully (hopfully) I see this down closer my way...I'd buy a six pack without thinking about it. A nice surprise when I wasn't expecting one.
Also..just a shout out to NB..I also bought a Mothership Wit which I've had but not recently. It was a really good brew too, I wish I had taken notes. Both beers (and the Trippel) are in their "Explore Series" along with their Abbey (dd it might have been the Abbey I saw). This series is head and shoulders above the "Our Folley" brews, which are the ones we get in our grocery stores.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » April 11th, 2010, 9:06 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:[quote="OZZIE4DUKE]
I'm surprised you didn't say:
"Eww! This tastes terrible. Here, you try it..." =))
HA...she was kind enough to let me stay at her house, so I watched my manners. O:-)[/quote][/quote]
...... sounding like a BW to me!!!! ;)
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 11th, 2010, 9:07 pm

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: I think it was a bit strong for her tatste. :D
Worthy of "plam" treatment... but I'm not going to do it. ;)
Isn't tatste some kind of fly in Africa?

:)) :)) =)) =))
Maybe a NAT! :-s :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 11th, 2010, 10:18 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Did some brew trading with devildeac after an excellent lunch break from the road, filled with great conversation. I'm not sure why, but we talked alot about some game that was played recently. The trading was a great finish..as well as picking up my brew order from the liquor barn. (I think it's odd that the best beer shops don't mention beer..."wines and wares" "total wine" "liqour barn".) I picked up 3 traders for dd that I matched for myself, only because I hadn't had them before. The first one for me was New Belgium's Ranger IPA.
I'm not a huge fan of New Belgium. It was nice seeing the Flat Tire, 1554, and the occasional seasonal...but for the price I was pretty dissapointed. I'd never seen the Ranger before, and I was tied between this and one other, which I really think was the Trippel. DD says you can't get that here, but dd, go back and look. I think TW has it. I opted for the Ranger and I'm really happy, NB has restored my faith in trying them again. It's a classic IPA, and that's all I wanted. Very fresh tasting hops, I'd put it right between Sierra Nevada's Pale Ale and Torpedo. Obviously the same variety hops are used, they are that close. Very floral, less body than SN's Torpedo. Very pale in color, so that fooled me on the flavor to come, it's abundant and bitter. Slightly "piney", awesome retention on the head. (Retention is noted by how much of the head remains on the glass after the bubbles have faded away). The head on this brew was a beauty too, I couldn't pour it in one shot without spilling over, very healthy and active. Hopefully (hopfully) I see this down closer my way...I'd buy a six pack without thinking about it. A nice surprise when I wasn't expecting one.
Also..just a shout out to NB..I also bought a Mothership Wit which I've had but not recently. It was a really good brew too, I wish I had taken notes. Both beers (and the Trippel) are in their "Explore Series" along with their Abbey (dd it might have been the Abbey I saw). This series is head and shoulders above the "Our Folley" brews, which are the ones we get in our grocery stores.
I saw Abbey in Colorado the night before we left but I had already procured my quota with the Odell, Trippel, Ranger and 1 other 6er I can't remember.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 11th, 2010, 10:42 pm

Horse Piss Beer-Horse Piss Brewing-Actually, I think this is a contract brew by Bluegrass Brewing Company. I read at Beer Advocate or somewhere this is classified as an adjunct lager. That means they use grains in it other than barley, wheat or rye. The mass produced swill by AB usually uses rice in their brewing process as it is cheaper. Also less bitterness. And less flavor. This one fits all the above criteria. I'd bet the IBU is around 0. Perhaps even -5 or -10. There's basically no hop presence. There is some flavor from some crystal, pale or caramel malts. The color is from those malts. Unless it's red dye #5 (aka food coloring). The head is 2-3 mm at best and lingers about as long as a kerlina possession before they turn it over. I'd guess the ABV to be 5%. Not much redeeming there either as I'm not sure what kind of session I'd start/finish this with. I guess this would be good with a hot dog or burger fresh off the grill on a hot summer afternoon. But, then again, the hot dog/burger would probably be insulted. I guess I really did not expect that much except a novelty beer/bottle and it's honestly not that bad but there's just not much to this brew. Glad I passed one on to CB&B on Saturday during our trading session. I got the oatmeal stout I am sipping on now. I think I got the better of the trade but, over the course of the entire 6er, I'll bet we call it a draw.

I wonder what poor, unsuspecting souls I can unload the other 2 bottles on later this spring. :-?

Let's see. We are heading up to NOVA in a couple weeks and 8-X did put and IC in one of his prior traders...

Plus, my son is always interested in trying new brews...
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 11th, 2010, 11:20 pm

devildeac wrote:Horse Piss Beer-Horse Piss Brewing-..... Let's see. We are heading up to NOVA in a couple weeks and 8-X did put and IC in one of his prior traders...

Wait a second... I never gave you any Horse Piss for a trader (that I can recall) other than Iron city! WTH? ;) That was kind of a joke! I apologized several times and made up with several other premium traders ... that one just happened to be a lemon or a sour lemon depending on your POV! ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 11th, 2010, 11:30 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:Horse Piss Beer-Horse Piss Brewing-..... Let's see. We are heading up to NOVA in a couple weeks and 8-X did put and IC in one of his prior traders...

Wait a second... I never gave you any Horse Piss for a trader (that I can recall) other than Iron city! WTH? ;) That was kind of a joke! I apologized several times and made up with several other premium traders ... that one just happened to be a lemon or a sour lemon depending on your POV! ;)
The Horse Piss Beer is probably only available in kin-tucky so it will be a limited opportunity tasting/trader :)) =)) . It is a real beer. And yes, you did select some premium traders. I am undecided what I will do with #3 and #4. Sounds like 8-X is not too interested. Hmm, there is a drug rep who comes by the office every couple weeks. Maybe he'd like to try the Horse Piss. :-?
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » April 11th, 2010, 11:49 pm

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:

The Horse Piss Beer is probably only available in kin-tucky so it will be a limited opportunity tasting/trader :)) =)) . It is a real beer. And yes, you did select some premium traders. I am undecided what I will do with #3 and #4. Sounds like 8-X is not too interested. Hmm, there is a drug rep who comes by the office every couple weeks. Maybe he'd like to try the Horse Piss. :-?
I'm game for a taster, but I thought you were blasting this one and you were accusing me of giving it to you! sorry for misunderstanding if I went a stray.... ya know I'm a mustang! ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 12th, 2010, 7:41 am

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote:Wait a second... I never gave you any Horse Piss for a trader (that I can recall) other than Iron city! WTH? ;) That was kind of a joke! I apologized several times and made up with several other premium traders ... that one just happened to be a lemon or a sour lemon depending on your POV! ;)
I'm game for a taster, but I thought you were blasting this one and you were accusing me of giving it to you! sorry for misunderstanding if I went a stray.... ya know I'm a mustang! ;)
At least you are not a cougar.

:)) =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 12th, 2010, 8:15 am

devildeac wrote:Glad I passed one on to CB&B on Saturday during our trading session.
I told devildeac that I'm not sure I'll ever open it, I might just keep it for display on a shelf. After his review, I'm pretty sure that will be the case unless I'm thirsty and we've run out of water. By the way..the label is great.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » April 12th, 2010, 9:02 am

devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote: ya know I'm a mustang! ;)

Are you sure? Tilly says he's a cross-dresser... =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 12th, 2010, 9:17 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:
cl15876 wrote: ya know I'm a mustang! ;)

Are you sure? Tilly says he's a cross-dresser... =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Lola, L-O-L-A, Lola...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 12th, 2010, 11:26 pm

Coastal Brewing Consortium Oatmeal Stout-vintage dated at: I don't have a clue-prolly about 6-8 months ago. This one lived well. Smooth, nearly black and like a chocolate covered espresso bean. Modest 1-2 fingered tan head that lingers and some coffee bitterness and chocolate sweetness. I'd guess an IBU about 50 and an ABV about 6%. CCC or some chocolate pound cake would pair nicely, Or, have it all by its lonesome. A good leftover trader from CB&B.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 12th, 2010, 11:34 pm

devildeac wrote:Smuttynose IPA-Just what I would expect from an IPA. A little citrus, a lotta pine with Simcoe, Santiam and Amarillo hops in a golden, ever-so-slightly hazy IPA with a good balance. The IBU are 65 and the ABV is 6.9% ....
This is what I'm drinking now. Trader from DD, I've had it before but not sure I've reviewed it. It's a bit strange after enjoying so many Sierra Nevada and Saranac IPA's lately (as well as NB's Ranger), this IPA obviously uses a drastically different variety of hops than the aforementioned. The flavor is so different, and harder to describe. The smuttynose also lacks the sweetness that I'm used to from the other IPA's I've had of late. There's just this really strange tanginess to it right when you first drink it; it's not a citrus tang, but it's there and strong. It's still a good beer, but I'd stick to buying singles of it, in contrast to the others where I'd jump at a six pack for any of the three I mentioned.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 13th, 2010, 10:48 pm

Red Brick Blonde Ale-Atlanta Brewing Company-A light yellow-golden blonde ale light on the IBU and ABV. I'd guess 20 and 5% respectively. Very crisp and clean with pale malts and minimally bitter, floral and aromatic hops. Gentle and soothing to the palate. Good session or lawn mowing beer. Excellent choice for a pre-dinner beverage with bruschetta or a garden salad. Would also be nice with lighter, grilled fish or chicken. A trader from CB&B and a fine starter for the spring sampling season.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 13th, 2010, 10:55 pm

Hefe-Weisse Dunkel-Arcobrau Brewing-This brew had 2 strikes against it before opening: green bottle and a best enjoyed by date of 8-30-2008. Upon opening, the umpire said, "Yer out." Think St. Pauli Girl/Lowenbrau/Heineken here: skunky. There was a faint remnant of caramel malt and toastiness but this one was long past its prime. One of CB&B's few misses in our traders in the last 18 months or so. I wanna refund on this one. Horse Piss Beer might be better. :Boo:
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 13th, 2010, 11:20 pm

devildeac wrote:Hefe-Weisse Dunkel-Arcobrau Brewing-This brew had 2 strikes against it before opening: green bottle and a best enjoyed by date of 8-30-2008. Upon opening, the umpire said, "Yer out." Think St. Pauli Girl/Lowenbrau/Heineken here: skunky. There was a faint remnant of caramel malt and toastiness but this one was long past its prime. One of CB&B's few misses in our traders in the last 18 months or so. I wanna refund on this one. Horse Piss Beer might be better. :Boo:
Rut-roh Elroy...I haven't opened mine yet. Now I'm scared.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 13th, 2010, 11:23 pm

devildeac wrote:Red Brick Blonde Ale-Atlanta Brewing Company-A light yellow-golden blonde ale light on the IBU and ABV. I'd guess 20 and 5% respectively. Very crisp and clean with pale malts and minimally bitter, floral and aromatic hops. Gentle and soothing to the palate. Good session or lawn mowing beer. Excellent choice for a pre-dinner beverage with bruschetta or a garden salad. Would also be nice with lighter, grilled fish or chicken. A trader from CB&B and a fine starter for the spring sampling season.
I don't know if you've had Carolina Brewing's Blonde, but I pick up a 12 now and then. It's one of the rare "craft brews" you'll find in a 12 packnot bottled, but in (cool) cans..they're skinny. Very similar tastes, unique to a blonde ale. I'm going to try one for a batch this year. More malts than hops, and smooth, low bitterness is what makes them stand out.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 13th, 2010, 11:31 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:Red Brick Blonde Ale-Atlanta Brewing Company-A light yellow-golden blonde ale light on the IBU and ABV. I'd guess 20 and 5% respectively. Very crisp and clean with pale malts and minimally bitter, floral and aromatic hops. Gentle and soothing to the palate. Good session or lawn mowing beer. Excellent choice for a pre-dinner beverage with bruschetta or a garden salad. Would also be nice with lighter, grilled fish or chicken. A trader from CB&B and a fine starter for the spring sampling season.
I don't know if you've had Carolina Brewing's Blonde, but I pick up a 12 now and then. It's one of the rare "craft brews" you'll find in a 12 packnot bottled, but in (cool) cans..they're skinny. Very similar tastes, unique to a blonde ale. I'm going to try one for a batch this year. More malts than hops, and smooth, low bitterness is what makes them stand out.
Might be good for a warm September Brunchgate...