LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2010, 7:25 am

Rolvix wrote:I saw Scheyer and Curry today!

(I was attending Blue Devil Days - a 2-day event designed to "sell" prospective students on Duke [I sure didn't need any "selling"])

And Wojo gave an AMAZING speech to the Blue Devil Days attendees. After showing a video (One Shining Moment edited to show only Duke plays) he talked about looking at Duke through the lenses of a prospective student, a student, and then a teacher/coach. It was by far one of the most convincing and genuine speeches I've heard in a long time. He told us about an essay that he wrote in one of his senior classes about what he wanted to be after college. Wojo said that he wrote about becoming a father and a basketball coach. Three weeks ago he had his second son and on Monday his work was rewarded with a National Championship. Apparently the professor from that class sent him the essay he wrote a decade ago and told him "You may want to show this to your son one day."

I can't imagine how any prospective students could pick ANY place besides Duke after the past two days. Holy cow. The people are INCREDIBLE. Three or four times a random student stopped to talk to me, whether it be to tell me about Springternational going on in the main quad or just telling me they hoped I would decide to attend Duke.

I've already decided that I really want to do the Global Health Focus program in the fall, major in Biology (Pre-med), get a certificate in Global Health, live at the Duke Marine Lab during the fall of my sophomore year, participate in DukeEngage to Haiti the summer after my sophomore year (working with medicine and global health), and study abroad the fall of my junior year.

I realize that none of that is guaranteed... And I can recognize the fact that it may not be possible to do everything I want to do when faced with the ridiculous time constraints that all undergrads deal with... (Only four years for [undergrad] college!? What's up with that??? I'm feeling more like six or eight...)
Great stuff. You should talk with my daughter after this semester is over. Your parents should sell the house and get a second job-both of them-if you think you're gonna need 6-8 years there.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2010, 7:27 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Went to my first Reds game last night. It was unseasonably cool, in the 40's. Reds hadn't been doing anything all night so after the top of the 8th, we decided to check out the concourse and go. Well, what happens? The Cubs put in a relief pitcher and a couple walks and a bunt single later, Drew Stubbs is up with a chance to change the game. He hit a grand slam. That'll teach me to leave early.
Why would you ever do that? I know you didn't leave the championship game Monday night with 3.6 seconds to go...

:)) =))
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 10th, 2010, 7:28 am

[quote="Rolvix"]live at the Duke Marine Lab during the fall of my sophomore year,[ /quote]
Cool, you can ride up with us to brunchgates if you do.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2010, 7:33 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Rolvix wrote:live at the Duke Marine Lab during the fall of my sophomore year,[ /quote]
Quit posting and start driving. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 10th, 2010, 7:37 am

devildeac wrote:
Rolvix wrote:live at the Duke Marine Lab during the fall of my sophomore year,[ /quote]
I got another hour's worth of coffee to drink. ~O)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2010, 7:46 am

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: Cool, you can ride up with us to brunchgates if you do.
I got another hour's worth of coffee to drink. ~O)[/quote]
If you're gonna drink another hour's worth of coffee, you'll never make it to Raleigh and Derm. :obscene-moneypiss:
(There's no other smilie I could use)
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 10th, 2010, 8:26 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Went to my first Reds game last night. It was unseasonably cool, in the 40's. Reds hadn't been doing anything all night so after the top of the 8th, we decided to check out the concourse and go. Well, what happens? The Cubs put in a relief pitcher and a couple walks and a bunt single later, Drew Stubbs is up with a chance to change the game. He hit a grand slam. That'll teach me to leave early.
Gone in 54 seconds is the reason I never leave a game early. Unless I'm not feeling well. I have left a MBB game in Cameron because I wasn't feeling well.
I worship the Blue Devil!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » April 10th, 2010, 8:29 am

(I was attending Blue Devil Days - a 2-day event designed to "sell" prospective students on Duke [I sure didn't need any "selling"])

And Wojo gave an AMAZING speech to the Blue Devil Days attendees. After showing a video (One Shining Moment edited to show only Duke plays) he talked about looking at Duke through the lenses of a prospective student, a student, and then a teacher/coach. It was by far one of the most convincing and genuine speeches I've heard in a long time. He told us about an essay that he wrote in one of his senior classes about what he wanted to be after college. Wojo said that he wrote about becoming a father and a basketball coach. Three weeks ago he had his second son and on Monday his work was rewarded with a National Championship. Apparently the professor from that class sent him the essay he wrote a decade ago and told him "You may want to show this to your son one day."

I can't imagine how any prospective students could pick ANY place besides Duke after the past two days. Holy cow. The people are INCREDIBLE. Three or four times a random student stopped to talk to me, whether it be to tell me about Springternational going on in the main quad or just telling me they hoped I would decide to attend Duke.

I've already decided that I really want to do the Global Health Focus program in the fall, major in Biology (Pre-med), get a certificate in Global Health, live at the Duke Marine Lab during the fall of my sophomore year, participate in DukeEngage to Haiti the summer after my sophomore year (working with medicine and global health), and study abroad the fall of my junior year.

I realize that none of that is guaranteed... And I can recognize the fact that it may not be possible to do everything I want to do when faced with the ridiculous time constraints that all undergrads deal with... (Only four years for [undergrad] college!? What's up with that??? I'm feeling more like six or eight...)

If you need help hooking with anyone from the medical school, let me know.

I also know several faculty interested in global health and could help you meet with them. Including a doctor who loves Haiti, did a sabbatical there and has been back twice since the earthquake to help.
I worship the Blue Devil!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » April 10th, 2010, 8:35 am

DukieInKansas wrote:

I want to meet your dogs!
If your travels every bring you to Florida holler - I'll bring the whole famn damily to meet you!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » April 10th, 2010, 9:06 am

TillyGalore wrote:

If you need help hooking with anyone from the medical school, let me know.

I also know several faculty interested in global health and could help you meet with them. Including a doctor who loves Haiti, did a sabbatical there and has been back twice since the earthquake to help.
My company has a big global health program. After a couple years of school, if you're looking for an internship for a summer, get in touch with me and I'll see what I can do.
-- DukeUsul
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » April 10th, 2010, 10:15 am

windsor wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:

I want to meet your dogs!
If your travels every bring you to Florida holler - I'll bring the whole famn damily to meet you!

hummmmm - I should go visit my brother in Orlando. If I do, I'll let you know. Maybe you know where I can go kayaking with the manatees. I've been wanting to do that for a few years.
Life is good!
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » April 10th, 2010, 10:48 am

John McEnroe is playing Pat Rafter on the Tennis Channel right now. It's an interesting match. Patrick has put on a few pounds. Mac is solid at 50.

-EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » April 10th, 2010, 10:50 am

I wonder if McEnroe just plays up his 'crybaby' brand for the crowd these days. Originally, I thought so, but he seems to be getting seriously pissed and upset with himself.

-EarlJam
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » April 10th, 2010, 10:51 am

Double faulting in tennis sucks. It's like not playing any defense at all in hoops. Just giving away points.

-EarlJam
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » April 10th, 2010, 10:52 am

I have a match today at 2:00. Physically, I'm in decent tennis shape, but I have not been playing regularly. Skillz-wize, I'm rusty.

-EarlJam
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » April 10th, 2010, 10:53 am

Old MacEnroe just lost to overweight Rafter. It was close. I like Johnny Mac. I want a beverage.

-EarlJam
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » April 10th, 2010, 10:56 am

You see folks, what I'm going to do is go out to the courts around 1:00 and practice serves for about 40 minutes, then drive to the other courts for the match.

-EarlJam
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » April 10th, 2010, 10:57 am

....because if the serve isn't going, it's often a long day. It's far easier to make adjustments to groundstrokes and such during the course of the match. But you can't start off just giving your opponent free points.

-EarlJam
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » April 10th, 2010, 11:03 am

After studying the game for a while, I've come up with an acronym that serves (no pun intended) as my strategy:

I-FAB

If I remember I-FAB and put it to use, I usually have solid results. Each letter goes pretty deep in content, but to summarize they stand for the following:

I - "Me." Don't worry about the other person. Play my game. Focus on my attitude. Don't show any emotion. Poker face. Get angry, and you give the opponent an edge. Show elation, and you piss your opponent off, often giving them an edge.

F - Focus intensely on EVERYTHING. If a group of Victoria Secret models walk by the courts, pay no attention. Focus on court and the game only. Rush nothing.

A - Attack, attack, attack! The net, the opponent backand. Take the points. Don't play to not lose.

B - Backhands - protect mine, hit to his...often.

-EarlJam
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » April 10th, 2010, 11:04 am

I read Andre Agassi's book. It is good, but for a lot of the book, he sure does do a lot of criticizing of other people, players.

-EarlJam