LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by colchar » January 4th, 2010, 1:59 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: Is there a curling team? Could we, perhaps, form a CrazieTalk curling team?
Colchar will have to be captain.

As I'm probably the only person here who has ever curled, it would make sense to have me be the skip (the term for the captain of a curling rink).
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 4th, 2010, 1:59 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: Is there a curling team? Could we, perhaps, form a CrazieTalk curling team?

Rink, not team, is the correct term for a curling squad.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 4th, 2010, 2:00 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Oh, come on, the cold's not that bad. And Canada's not that cold either. ;) Don't forget what Colchar said... it's not that cold up where he lives. No colder than in Detroit. :twitch:

%%-

Trust me, it isn't. And the weather that some of you think of as cold is positively tropical to us.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » January 4th, 2010, 2:02 pm

colchar wrote:
bjornolf wrote:
Oh, come on, the cold's not that bad. And Canada's not that cold either. ;) Don't forget what Colchar said... it's not that cold up where he lives. No colder than in Detroit. :twitch:

%%-

Trust me, it isn't. And the weather that some of you think of as cold is positively tropical to us.
Yeah, I'm in the tropics today. It is currently 34, with a predicted high of 36. Grab your bathing suits and a cooler of beer and let's hang out at the pool. [/sarcasm] ;) ;)
I worship the Blue Devil!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 4th, 2010, 2:03 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:It's been almost 12 hours since I screwed anything up on this site. :D

In other words, it has been almost 12 hours since you bothered trying to do anything to it...
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 4th, 2010, 2:05 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
Travel to practices could be a problem. :D

Not my problem though! Y'all would have to come up here since I doubt there are many curling clubs where you are from.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » January 4th, 2010, 2:09 pm

colchar wrote:

Not my problem though! Y'all would have to come up here since I doubt there are many curling clubs where you are from.
Yeah...
I'm not even sure what snow is...
Class of 2014
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 4th, 2010, 2:13 pm

colchar wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:It's been almost 12 hours since I screwed anything up on this site. :D

In other words, it has been almost 12 hours since you bothered trying to do anything to it...
Not true. I've done lots more to the site. Just not after drinking. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » January 4th, 2010, 2:14 pm

colchar wrote:

As I'm probably the only person here who has ever curled, it would make sense to have me be the skip (the term for the captain of a curling rink).
I have curled. Exactly once. You can be the skip.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 4th, 2010, 2:14 pm

colchar wrote:Curling rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of curling and rocks - for years the majority of curling stones were made from granite quarried from the Ailsa Craig, an island off the coast of Ayrshire in Scotland. I just happen to be from Ayrshire myself (my Mom is from Ayr and my Dad is from Kilwinning, which is also in Ayrshire). Ailsite curling stones (ones made from Ailsa Craig granite) are more rare now because the area is a nature preserve and only certain amounts of granite can be removed at regular intervals. Many of these stones now sell for over $1000 each. Some clubs, however, still use them almost exclusively (it is the best granite from which to make a curling stone) and many of the clubs at which I have played have used them which made it kind of cool for me being in Canada, but also being from Ayrshire, and using a piece of Ayrshire granite to play a sport in Canada - like holding a little piece of home :)
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 4th, 2010, 2:18 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
colchar wrote:
bjornolf wrote:

%%-

Yeah, I'm in the tropics today. It is currently 34, with a predicted high of 36. Grab your bathing suits and a cooler of beer and let's hang out at the pool. [/sarcasm] ;) ;)

Where I am it is currently 14F with a wind chill of -5.8F so yeah, you're weather is positively tropical.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » January 4th, 2010, 2:21 pm

colchar wrote:
colchar wrote:Curling rocks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Speaking of curling and rocks - for years the majority of curling stones were made from granite quarried from the Ailsa Craig, an island off the coast of Ayrshire in Scotland. I just happen to be from Ayrshire myself (my Mom is from Ayr and my Dad is from Kilwinning, which is also in Ayrshire). Ailsite curling stones (ones made from Ailsa Craig granite) are more rare now because the area is a nature preserve and only certain amounts of granite can be removed at regular intervals. Many of these stones now sell for over $1000 each. Some clubs, however, still use them almost exclusively (it is the best granite from which to make a curling stone) and many of the clubs at which I have played have used them which made it kind of cool for me being in Canada, but also being from Ayrshire, and using a piece of Ayrshire granite to play a sport in Canada - like holding a little piece of home :)
That is very cool indeed!

I would imagine a curling stone last for quite a while...being granite I wouldn't think there was a lot of wear.

(in other news it is 48F in Florida and I am freezing)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 4th, 2010, 2:30 pm

windsor wrote:
colchar wrote: Speaking of curling and rocks - for years the majority of curling stones were made from granite quarried from the Ailsa Craig, an island off the coast of Ayrshire in Scotland. I just happen to be from Ayrshire myself (my Mom is from Ayr and my Dad is from Kilwinning, which is also in Ayrshire). Ailsite curling stones (ones made from Ailsa Craig granite) are more rare now because the area is a nature preserve and only certain amounts of granite can be removed at regular intervals. Many of these stones now sell for over $1000 each. Some clubs, however, still use them almost exclusively (it is the best granite from which to make a curling stone) and many of the clubs at which I have played have used them which made it kind of cool for me being in Canada, but also being from Ayrshire, and using a piece of Ayrshire granite to play a sport in Canada - like holding a little piece of home :)
That is very cool indeed!

I would imagine a curling stone last for quite a while...being granite I wouldn't think there was a lot of wear.
As long as they are used properly, they would last a very long time.

(in other news it is 48F in Florida and I am freezing)
Good Lord. What are you gonna do after the wedding if you ever have to visit Krysta up here during winter?
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » January 4th, 2010, 2:37 pm

colchar wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
colchar wrote:And the weather that some of you think of as cold is positively tropical to us.

Where I am it is currently 14F with a wind chill of -5.8F so yeah, you're weather is positively tropical.
Darlin', you can have this tropical weather.

I'm moving to Hawaii and will live in the part that doesn't get this cold. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr
I worship the Blue Devil!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » January 4th, 2010, 2:47 pm

colchar wrote: Good Lord. What are you gonna do after the wedding if you ever have to visit Krysta up here during winter?
Buy clothing suitable for winter weather. I do not OWN a winter coat. I do not own a hat or gloves. I hardly own socks...or shoes that are totally closed. I have one or two sweatshirts.

When it is time to visit my only child in the cold dark north I will go to local sporting goods store and buy polar gear. I will look like the michelin man, but I will be warm.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » January 4th, 2010, 2:52 pm

The current official temp in the Kansas City metropolitan area:

Fair
9ºF
Feels like 1ºF

Bold and color added.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » January 4th, 2010, 2:55 pm

colchar wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: quote="ArkieDukie"
Is there a curling team? Could we, perhaps, form a CrazieTalk curling team? /quote

We actually have a curling club in the area. They offer times to come out and learn about the sport. http://www.kccurling.com/
Life is good!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » January 4th, 2010, 3:31 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
CathyCA wrote: The kid needs to remember how miserable he felt when he returned from CA so that he won't object to my scheduling reasonable flight dates and times for his next court-ordered trip to see his father.
That explains why he came home the day before school. Thought Saturday would have been a better day so both boys could recoup from their trip before getting back into the swing of things.
Well, as she said ( a good mommy)....., but those disck head X's!!!!! :)) :)) :)) :))
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » January 4th, 2010, 3:33 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
colchar wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:"quote="CameronBornAndBred"" quote="ArkieDukie"
Is there a curling team? Could we, perhaps, form a CrazieTalk curling team? /quote
Colchar will have to be captain."/quote"

We actually have a curling club in the area. They offer times to come out and learn about the sport. http://www.kccurling.com/
Ya Know, I almost confused this winter "warm up" sport with spooning! B-) :ymblushing: :D ;) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 4th, 2010, 4:40 pm

colchar wrote: Where I am it is currently 14F with a wind chill of -5.8F so yeah, you're weather is positively tropical.
In Boone, NC right now it is also 14F, but the wind chill is 9F! I like Boone's attitude! :D
http://www.booneweather.com/ Put your cursor over each town's temp box and you'll get more details, like the "feels like" temp.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com