Duke vs Wisc

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school

Duke vs Wisc

Post by Jesus_hurley » November 30th, 2009, 5:01 pm

It's Duke @ Wisconsin in the ACC Big 10 challenge on Wednesday at 9:15.

* Will this be the first year the ACC loses the challenge?
* Will Duke stay perfect (the only other team on either side without a loss is BC - 3-0)
* Will Mason grace us with an appearance?
Rolvix

Re: Duke vs Wisc

Post by Rolvix » December 1st, 2009, 7:58 pm

1. Hopefully not.
2. Yes
3. Hopefully more than just an "appearance" :-bd
Class of 2014
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » December 1st, 2009, 11:20 pm

Rolvix wrote:1. Hopefully not.
2. Yes
3. Hopefully more than just an "appearance" :-bd
Mason is going to be back tomorrow according to WRAL. Yaaa :D
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » December 2nd, 2009, 1:40 pm

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml? ... =204842168

Interesting factoids:

-John Scheyer with an 8:1 assist to turnover ratio
-Andre Dawkins tops the ACC with 2.7 3's per game. In comparison our defense allows just 3.7 per game
-In the ACC-Big11 challenge Duke is 4-0 on neutral courts, 3-0 away and 3-0 at home.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 2nd, 2009, 1:48 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote: -Andre Dawkins tops the ACC with 2.7 3's per game. In comparison our defense allows just 3.7 per game
I think UCONN skewed this a bit, they barely even attempted any. They are an inside scoring team, I'm sure that number will go up by the end of this month.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » December 2nd, 2009, 9:42 pm

Where did ESPN find these announcers?
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » December 2nd, 2009, 9:50 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Where did ESPN find these announcers?
QFT, they are awful!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 2nd, 2009, 10:02 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
QFT, they are awful!
Brent is..I like Knight
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 2nd, 2009, 10:03 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:
QFT, they are awful!
Brent is..I like Knight
Except he calls us "The Dukes"...uhh, we ain't Duquesne Bobby.
gadzooks
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by gadzooks » December 2nd, 2009, 11:23 pm

well that sucked
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » December 2nd, 2009, 11:25 pm

gadzooks wrote:well that sucked
QFT and QFE

But honestly, I'm not really shocked nor upset.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 2nd, 2009, 11:26 pm

[-( :ymtongue: X(
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » December 2nd, 2009, 11:59 pm

That does it! I can't watch another game in the same room with the OP!!!! The glass is half empty even when we're winning. He really starts hanging the crepe on a night like this one. Tonight I was ready to shoot him!!! Anybody out there in the same boat? Any advice?

We'll celebrate our 50th anniversary this Fall if I let him live that long! X(

Ours are the kind of guys I'd rather bring home on the bus win OR lose!

Love, Ima
PS Give me a Bob Knight commentary ANY time.
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 3rd, 2009, 12:04 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:That does it! I can't watch another game in the same room with the OP!!!! The glass is half empty even when we're winning. He really starts hanging the crepe on a night like this one. Tonight I was ready to shoot him!!! Anybody out there in the same boat? Any advice?

Love, Ima
I know what you're saying, my parents can get like that. But, tonight, I'm on OP's side. It just never looked like the Devils were gonna do it. There were bright moments...but far to few and infrequent.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » December 3rd, 2009, 9:34 am

This year's team is very similar to the past few seasons and, by now, we all know its strengths and limitations. Chief among our weaknesses are long scoring droughts (which are especially crippling in the second half, which we've seen in two straight games). When you have the offensive limitations we have, you need to make up for it with great defense. More often than not we have, do, and will play good enough defense to beat good teams. Last night we didn't. Our defense was horrid and the Badgers, to their credit, hit the open shots that we gave them (one particular in the second half stands out; after an in-bounds a Wisconsin player hit a three from the corner in which two Duke players watched without putting a hand in his face or making any attempt to defend).

The end of the game situation was frustrating too. I doubt that K called a half-court pass with 4 seconds left and it appeared that no one went back to get the in-bounds pass so Kyle threw it up to avoid the 5 seconds. That kind of mental lapse shouldn't happen with a senior (Jon) and a junior (Nolan) as the primary ball-handlers.

All in all, not a loss to hide from. Wisconsin has lost 10 home games under Bo Ryan. Few teams win there. Plus, I think our defense will be better in the coming weeks.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » December 3rd, 2009, 6:48 pm

rockymtn devil wrote: Our defense was horrid and the Badgers, to their credit, hit the open shots that we gave them (one particular in the second half stands out; after an in-bounds a Wisconsin player hit a three from the corner in which two Duke players watched without putting a hand in his face or making any attempt to defend).

The end of the game situation was frustrating too. I doubt that K called a half-court pass with 4 seconds left and it appeared that no one went back to get the in-bounds pass so Kyle threw it up to avoid the 5 seconds. That kind of mental lapse shouldn't happen with a senior (Jon) and a junior (Nolan) as the primary ball-handlers.

All in all, not a loss to hide from. Wisconsin has lost 10 home games under Bo Ryan. Few teams win there. Plus, I think our defense will be better in the coming weeks.
They also hit some shots that were well defended. One floater from the lane comes to my mind. It must have had an arc of 17ft over an outstretched arm, falling down and through with only the mildest disturbance of the net. :facepalm3:

I too, was puzzled by the strange lack of a better plan on that last in-bounds play. 4.9 seconds should have allowed for something better. Get the ball to the hot hand, perhaps?

I'm frustrated with the plan of the defensive step-out by the post player above the top of the key. What purpose does it really serve other than getting that defender(the center) out of position for down low help or a rebound?

Mason was bothered by has wrist wrap, trouble grasping and holding on, but this is good therapy for his game in his mind as well as wrist. He'll be right at 100%.

Weaknesses were shown and that's a good thing to see and get corrected in December rather than have them exploited in February.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 3rd, 2009, 6:52 pm

captmojo wrote: Weaknesses were shown and that's a good thing to see and get corrected in December rather than have them exploited in February.
QFE
Great to see you Cap'n!
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » December 3rd, 2009, 7:21 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:That does it! I can't watch another game in the same room with the OP!!!! The glass is half empty even when we're winning. He really starts hanging the crepe on a night like this one. Tonight I was ready to shoot him!!! Anybody out there in the same boat? Any advice?

Love, Ima
My mom is in the same boat. No wonder Bud and the OP get along so well! Mom and I are there for our guys even more when they struggle.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 4th, 2009, 8:18 am

captmojo wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote: Our defense was horrid and the Badgers, to their credit, hit the open shots that we gave them (one particular in the second half stands out; after an in-bounds a Wisconsin player hit a three from the corner in which two Duke players watched without putting a hand in his face or making any attempt to defend).

They also hit some shots that were well defended. One floater from the lane comes to my mind. It must have had an arc of 17ft over an outstretched arm, falling down and through with only the mildest disturbance of the net. :facepalm3:

I too, was puzzled by the strange lack of a better plan on that last in-bounds play. 4.9 seconds should have allowed for something better. Get the ball to the hot hand, perhaps?

I'm frustrated with the plan of the defensive step-out by the post player above the top of the key. What purpose does it really serve other than getting that defender(the center) out of position for down low help or a rebound?

Mason was bothered by has wrist wrap, trouble grasping and holding on, but this is good therapy for his game in his mind as well as wrist. He'll be right at 100%.

Weaknesses were shown and that's a good thing to see and get corrected in December rather than have them exploited in February.
Good observations. Where the heck have you been? ;) :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » December 4th, 2009, 12:06 pm

captmojo wrote: I too, was puzzled by the strange lack of a better plan on that last in-bounds play. 4.9 seconds should have allowed for something better. Get the ball to the hot hand, perhaps?
Seriously. Didn't Wojo run the whole court in 3.1 seconds once? Surely Nolan could do it in 5 seconds.
captmojo wrote: I'm frustrated with the plan of the defensive step-out by the post player above the top of the key. What purpose does it really serve other than getting that defender(the center) out of position for down low help or a rebound?
The point of the play is to keep the ballhandler from going straight to the basket or draining a three while also cutting down his passing angles by having a great big dude right in his face. However, the major knock on Z from the beginning has been his foot work and foot speed. He always seems to step out awkwardly, gets his momentum moving away from the basket, then has to reverse it and getting it moving the other way, and it just takes WAY too long. I think he needs to do what some big men do and just take a big step out, forcing the ballhandler to go around him, but get moving towards the basket without letting his momentum get going that way. He steps out and brings the other foot out and squares up as if he's going to defend the ballhandler, and he's just too slow to do that. Changing his method won't be as effective in preventing a long shot by the ballhandler. However, what he's doing now isn't effective either, as he's not fast enough and doesn't have the footwork to either guard the ballhandler OR get back to help in the lane. I would tend to say he needs to watch film, and if the player is a shooter, he needs to step out and get his hands up, but if he's a slasher, he needs to hedge and then get back. That's what I'd do anyway.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage