Discussing "Nothing"

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Discussing "Nothing"

Post by EarlJam » November 24th, 2009, 10:40 pm

Okay folks, let me first assure you that I have been drinking and/or smoking nothing.

I got to thinking about the concept of "nothing" today. In short, no matter how small the smallest particle, it is still something and had to have a day one.............right? Also, it had to have a space to exist in and that space is, was, ............something.

No matter your spiritual beliefs, the concept of nothing, if focused on intensely has to be baffling. Anyone have any insight on this? in particular, it totally blows my mind that the very first piece of matter ever to exist (even if microscopic), had to have a "day one." And it had to have a space in which to exist. Imagine that space. If I ask you to imagine "nothingness" what do you see? Most people see nothing but white or black empty space. But that is still baffling because that white or black space is.....................something!

How is it even possible that we are here?

I am a Christian, but when I think of such matters it just, well, drives me a bit bonkers. At some point in history, something had to come from nothing. How is that possible? Perhaps I need a Valium.

Feedback? Please discuss.

-Let there be EarlJam
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Discussing "Nothing"

Post by devildeac » November 24th, 2009, 10:50 pm

EarlJam wrote:Okay folks, let me first assure you that I have been drinking and/or smoking nothing.

I got to thinking about the concept of "nothing" today. In short, no matter how small the smallest particle, it is still something and had to have a day one.............right? Also, it had to have a space to exist in and that space is, was, ............something.

No matter your spiritual beliefs, the concept of nothing, if focused on intensely has to be baffling. Anyone have any insight on this? in particular, it totally blows my mind that the very first piece of matter ever to exist (even if microscopic), had to have a "day one." And it had to have a space in which to exist. Imagine that space. If I ask you to imagine "nothingness" what do you see? Most people see nothing but white or black empty space. But that is still baffling because that white or black space is.....................something!

I am a Christian, but when I think of such matters it just, well, drives me a bit bonkers. At some point in history, something had to come from nothing. How is that possible? Perhaps I need a Valium.

-Let there be EarlJam

Last edited by devildeac on November 24th, 2009, 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 24th, 2009, 10:51 pm

devildeac wrote:
EarlJam wrote:Okay folks, let me first assure you that I have been drinking and/or smoking nothing.

-Let there be EarlJam

As close as I could get.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 24th, 2009, 10:51 pm

EarlJam wrote:How is it even possible that we are here?
It beats the alternative.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 24th, 2009, 10:53 pm

OMG, too late this night to even ponder. i'm not sure I can even go there. My husband has a book you may wont to read. I'll find out the title and author and get this to you.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » November 24th, 2009, 11:12 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:OMG, too late this night to even ponder. i'm not sure I can even go there. My husband has a book you may wont to read. I'll find out the title and author and get this to you.

That would be awesome, thanks! I would love to read a recommended book on this topic.

-EJ
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 25th, 2009, 7:41 am

-Let there be EarlJam
The very first particle, even microscopic, had to have a creator.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Miles

Post by Miles » November 25th, 2009, 8:43 am

The concept is baffling and tons of fun to read about and contemplate. If you really want to bend your mind, expand the thoughts to include time (spacetime). Time didn't exist before the universe was created either.
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 25th, 2009, 9:19 am

devildeac wrote:

-Let there be EarlJam

=)) =)) =)) =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 25th, 2009, 9:20 am

My head is not ready for quantum physics this morning yet.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » November 25th, 2009, 9:35 am

Speaking of trying to get quantum mechanics and general relativity to work well together, I recently read this article in Scientific Americanabout a new concept of gravity and spacetime. Horava gravity theory has an interesting effect, in essence it would indicate that the Big Bang was in fact a Big Bounce, where all the content in the universe collapsed down to a very small size and then exploded out again. Other theories suggest the same thing. So there might not have been nothing before the Big Bang. There might have always been something. Whatever "something" is. I guess I'd define "nothing" as the absence of all mass-energy. But even the perfect vacuum of spacetime has energy - it's a quantum foam of virtual particles popping into and out of existence.

Maybe I don't believe in "nothing?" I need to think about that.
-- DukeUsul
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 25th, 2009, 9:42 am

DukeUsul wrote:Maybe I don't believe in "nothing?" I need to think about that.
I believe the children are our future... ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » November 25th, 2009, 11:14 am

SPOILER ALERT!!!

-----
God
-----
Class of 2014
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » November 25th, 2009, 1:39 pm

Lavabe wrote:
EarlJam wrote:How is it even possible that we are here?
It beats the alternative.
agree! ;)
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 25th, 2009, 1:42 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:My head is not ready for quantum physics this morning yet.
Along with VDB and CB&B. .... I am NOT ready to try and embrace this thought so I can formulate a comment! I just accept the unknown for what it is... and move ON! ;)
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » November 25th, 2009, 3:18 pm

Lavabe wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:Maybe I don't believe in "nothing?" I need to think about that.
I believe the children are our future... ;)
Excellent!

By the way, a friend of mine and I were talking about those lyrics a few years ago. Whitney sings, "I BELIEVE the children are our future..."

Isn't that more of a fact vs. a belief? I mean, if the children are not our future, who are? Robots?

Anyway. Last time I saw Whitney Houston, she had lost so much weight she was almost down to..............nothing.

-EARLJAM
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 25th, 2009, 8:11 pm

EarlJam wrote:Last time I saw Whitney Houston, she had lost so much weight she was almost down to..............nothing.

-EARLJAM
She was on Dancing With the Stars last night, and it was BAD (compared to what her voice was like in the 80's).
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » November 25th, 2009, 8:16 pm

She's under the 30 year rule...
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » November 25th, 2009, 8:58 pm

When you say nothing, do you mean absence of matter? Is this what Einstein meant by the formula for relativity?

I'll leave that thought hanging there while I go bake those fine brownies for tomorrow's Thanksgiving gathering.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 26th, 2009, 8:15 am

I think the Big Guy said it best, when he told Moses
I am that I am
and the first corollary
It is that it is
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com