Quitting Smoking Vibes Needed (In A Big Way)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Re: Quitting Smoking Vibes Needed (In A Big Way)

Post by colchar » November 12th, 2009, 1:06 pm

Lavabe wrote:For the record, colchar and Cathy are within a post of each other.

Now that colchar is back, we might see a post battle. :fight:

With this post I am six posts ahead of her so I can safely take off and head out for an hour. The battle shall resume later ;)
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 12th, 2009, 1:40 pm

colchar wrote:
Lavabe wrote:For the record, colchar and Cathy are within a post of each other.

Now that colchar is back, we might see a post battle. :fight:

Hmm, I've got to head out for blood tests to see if I do have mono (or any one of a number of other things) but, when I get back, I have some lost time to make up for so I might just go on a PWing frenzy. I once did about five straight pages of the LTE all by myself so surpassing Cathy this afternoon shouldn't present much of a problem ;)
And I had a boring day at work get busy. And I've got company coming tonight. 8-x And there's Brunchgate on Saturday. So you'll surpass me, easily.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » November 12th, 2009, 1:44 pm

Colchar, CONGRATULATIONS on cutting back. That is a HUGE milestone you should celebrate, though not with a cig. ;) ;)

I hope you're feeling better soon. Mono is a bitch of a disease/condition to have. Just when you start feeling better you push yourself and you wind up exhausted. I hope you don't have mono. If you do, you'll have to stay away from the girls, cuz if you kiss them you'll infect them. :(
I worship the Blue Devil!
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 12th, 2009, 11:24 pm

That was only strike one, darlin'. You are still at bat. I bet you surprise all your fans by hitting a home run BEFORE December 1.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » November 13th, 2009, 8:35 pm

Hang in there Colchar. Everyone is right, we are still here for you. For those of us who have quit smoking, I imagine it's safe to say that it took many attempts before we were successful.

We're really proud of you!!! Ooooh, I have an idea: how about a non-smoking CTN London trip? I want to go to London!!! I love London! I am an Anglophile! I drive a Mini Cooper and drink hot tea with milk and honey :) GTHC, GTH!!
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » November 16th, 2009, 12:57 am

colchar wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Colchar, do whatever it takes. Cutting back is a good step.

I'm marking my calendar for December 1 to give you lots of vibes. :wizard:

What is gut rot?

Just a sore acidic feeling in your stomach. Lots of cramps and you can get a bit gassy. Not at all confortable but hey, it will be worth it.
Vibe to you Buddy! I mentioned you at this past BG as I too suffer while support! P.S. For the GAS, quite eating brocolli and use Pepcid AC - extra strength... GREAT lil PIL!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 16th, 2009, 2:31 am

cl15876 wrote:
Vibe to you Buddy! I mentioned you at this past BG as I too suffer while support!
I can just imagine what is said about me in my absence ;) ;) ;)

P.S. For the GAS, quite eating brocolli and use Pepcid AC - extra strength... GREAT lil PIL!

I think it might be better this time than last as I am on Pariet (sp?) for heartburn (one every morning and I am fine for the rest of the day). I'm hoping the Pariet helps minimize the acidity that comes from the Welbutrin.

But I had a bad stomach problem for several years that my doctors simply couldn't diagnose and, although I haven't had an attack in about fourteen months, I am still rather wary of those attacks coming back as they were agonizing. I was always very active in sports and have broken more bones than I can count. I have also dislocated my left shoulder three times and torn that same rotator cuff a further six times. So I've dealt with my fair share of pain over the years but I can honestly say that those stomach attacks were some of the worst pain I have ever experienced. Seriously, I dread those attacks ever starting up again. Hopefully the Welbutrin won't be too hard on my stomach this time.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 16th, 2009, 2:39 am

DukePA wrote:Ooooh, I have an idea: how about a non-smoking CTN London trip? I want to go to London!!! I love London! I am an Anglophile! I drive a Mini Cooper and drink hot tea with milk and honey :) GTHC, GTH!!

I could act as a tour guide!!! Previous trips to London combined with my (hopefully) soon to be completed doctorate in British history makes me the perfect candidate. Plus, I could show all of you the real London as opposed to tourist-trap London. And I have a friend who works at the Palace of Westminster (Houses of Parliament) who could give us a private tour. Last time I was there she was busy so I took the public tour and couldn't believe how many facts the tour guide got wrong (little did the poor lady know there were two of us - my officemate and myself - on the tour who are both doing PhDs in British history . . . we didn't correct her but we certainly exchanged more than a few confused glances that day). But if I knew far enough in advance I could arrange for Ashley to give us the tour herself (she has an MA in British history and knows her stuff).

Seriously, this would be the coolest trip EVER!!!
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Johnboy
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Johnboy » November 16th, 2009, 11:13 am

If you think you have mono, the most important thing for you to do is to quit DRINKING. IANAD, but my understanding is that you can do serious liver damage by continuing to drink while having mono. A fraternity brother of mine in college refused to stop drinking after he was diagnosed with mono, and he developed hepatitis, IIRC.

My knowledge of mono comes from my having it in 1983. Mono epidemics are fairly common on college campuses. If you have it, please take good care of yourself - lots of sleep and lots of fluids. I felt run down for several months and wondered if I would ever fully recover - it was awful. I had a pretty bad case. Apparently, contact sports are also to be avoided, as the enlarged spleen that accompanies mono is in danger of rupture.

At any rate, please ask your doctor about drinking alcohol if you are diagnosed with mono.
"And Johnboy is right" - lawgrad91
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 16th, 2009, 11:33 am

colchar wrote:
DukePA wrote:Ooooh, I have an idea: how about a non-smoking CTN London trip? I want to go to London!!! I love London! I am an Anglophile! I drive a Mini Cooper and drink hot tea with milk and honey :) GTHC, GTH!!

I could act as a tour guide!!! Previous trips to London combined with my (hopefully) soon to be completed doctorate in British history makes me the perfect candidate. Plus, I could show all of you the real London as opposed to tourist-trap London. And I have a friend who works at the Palace of Westminster (Houses of Parliament) who could give us a private tour. Last time I was there she was busy so I took the public tour and couldn't believe how many facts the tour guide got wrong (little did the poor lady know there were two of us - my officemate and myself - on the tour who are both doing PhDs in British history . . . we didn't correct her but we certainly exchanged more than a few confused glances that day). But if I knew far enough in advance I could arrange for Ashley to give us the tour herself (she has an MA in British history and knows her stuff).

Seriously, this would be the coolest trip EVER!!!
I too want to go. I have only been to London to site see once and then only had 1 day. I loved what little I saw. :)
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 16th, 2009, 3:07 pm

Johnboy wrote:If you think you have mono, the most important thing for you to do is to quit DRINKING. IANAD, but my understanding is that you can do serious liver damage by continuing to drink while having mono. A fraternity brother of mine in college refused to stop drinking after he was diagnosed with mono, and he developed hepatitis, IIRC.

My knowledge of mono comes from my having it in 1983. Mono epidemics are fairly common on college campuses. If you have it, please take good care of yourself - lots of sleep and lots of fluids. I felt run down for several months and wondered if I would ever fully recover - it was awful. I had a pretty bad case. Apparently, contact sports are also to be avoided, as the enlarged spleen that accompanies mono is in danger of rupture.

At any rate, please ask your doctor about drinking alcohol if you are diagnosed with mono.

Oh yeah, if I am diagnosed with Mono I will definitely refrain from drinking. But I haven't received any diagnosis yet so I figured drinking the other night wasn't that big a deal. Besides, I was taking one for the team that night as a buddy has just found out that his wife has been sleeping with a bunch of people in their small town (population about 600 so everyone knows everyone else) so he needed to go out for a few hours and just be a guy and forget about everything else. Then again, I had him puking and passed out by 11pm so I had to take up his slack and drink his share at the bar ;)
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » November 16th, 2009, 3:10 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
I too want to go. I have only been to London to site see once and then only had 1 day. I loved what little I saw. :)

My younger brother has never been there either and he and my future sister-in-law have a one day stopover there on their way to South Africa in December. They won't see much but I've tried to tell them how to fit in as much as possible in that time (not that he ever listens to me). Even if it is only for one day I am ridiculously jealous and wish it was me who was going to be there (they'll be there overnight - arriving late one afternoon and leaving late the next afternoon - and I simply wouldn't sleep if it was me just so that I could visit as many of my favourite places as possible). Then again, I am a London junkie (just see my 'Location' here on CTN).
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » November 16th, 2009, 3:16 pm

colchar wrote: But I had a bad stomach problem for several years that my doctors simply couldn't diagnose and, although I haven't had an attack in about fourteen months, I am still rather wary of those attacks coming back as they were agonizing. I was always very active in sports and have broken more bones than I can count. I have also dislocated my left shoulder three times and torn that same rotator cuff a further six times. So I've dealt with my fair share of pain over the years but I can honestly say that those stomach attacks were some of the worst pain I have ever experienced. Seriously, I dread those attacks ever starting up again. Hopefully the Welbutrin won't be too hard on my stomach this time.
I used to have similar stomach problems when I was little. Sometimes at night I would have terrible stomach pains, not seemingly related to anything else (except they always occurred after I ate buttered popcorn). Seriously, they were some of the most painful things I have ever felt! My doctor called them "stomach migraines"... Luckily they disappeared when I was around 12.
Class of 2014