Lists

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Lists

Post by CathyCA » November 6th, 2009, 12:45 pm

Do any of you make lists? I make all kinds of lists. I have long-term lists, short-term lists, revised and updated lists. Currently on my desk I have the following lists:

1. Things to do today (that actually pertain to work. Everything is checked off on the list now!)

2. Thank-you notes to write

3. Bills to pay

4. Chores to be done

5. Christmas list(s) (mine, 8-x , and my kids)

6. Thanksgiving menu

7. Kroger list (sugar and Ranch dressing)

8. Target list

9. Food Dog list (completed at 8:30 this morning)

10. Things I'd like to do around the house (roofing, frame pictures, replace the central vacuum motor)

So, I was wondering. . . do the rest of you keep lists, and what's on your lists?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Lists

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 6th, 2009, 12:47 pm

Food dog list? You have a dog?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 6th, 2009, 1:03 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Food dog list? You have a dog?

Does the animal in that logo look like a lion or a dog to you? I think it resembles a dog. Therefore, I call the store "Food Dog."
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » November 6th, 2009, 2:40 pm

Oh honey, I have a few items to add to your list!

I too make (short, mid, long term priority lists). They include both professional and personal and they seem to always keep growing or recurring the faster I complete them, but here goes the start of mine:

1. Things to do today (that actually pertain to work (acknowledge my my gratefulness for having another day to touch someone or inspire them, read/respond to email, meetings, paperwork, phone calls, perform research & writing, teleconferences, perform FB & CTN review/commentary, get the kids, go to river house. Have completed some, but still working on a number of the sub-activities associated with a few, OH and continue working towards achieving an independent wealthy or VERY comfortable state(short and long term))

2. Bills to pay (got most of them taken care already or programmed to be taken care) Have to find out why about my House insurance renewal, not sure why Bank of America is not rolling it over like Countrywide did since they took over the Countrywide mortgages).

3. Thanksgiving menu (hmm, whatever my hunny bunny would like me to assist with!)

4. Christmas list(s) (parents, CathyCA , all the kids, my sister & her hubby)

5. Grocery store list - did this earlier this week for the house, but still thinking about what to bring to 11/14 brunchgate (still excited about the oysters and ribs),

6. Car Mtce Items - finished that last week!

7. Short-Term House things/Chores to be done (plenty of them (both Outside and Inside) ...
7. Outside: cut the grass, get the leaves up, straighten up the garden area, clean the gutters, edge the sidewalk/curb/driveway, trim the hedges.
7. Inside: vacuum the carpets, clean the bathrooms, wash clothes, straighten up the guest bedroom for Ozzie's sleep over, dust and clean the hardwoods, throw a bunch of stuff away, get ready to put the Christmas tree up.

8. Mid/Long-Term House things:
8. Outside: transplant the hydrangea, put some bird food out back for the wildlife, reseal the driveway, paint the exterior wood of the house, clean up the garage, powerwash and stain the deck and screened in porch.
8.. Inside: get tax stuff ready, finish the bathroom, finish the dining room, , replace the windows with broken seals, clean up office, get new furniture, mount the flat screen, build a mantle and install over fireplace, paint, clean and finish the basement, etc..... (wow, I have a lot stuff to do)

9. Upcoming special/events (birthdays, special days, vacation/getaways, ...)

#:-s ... The more I think about it, the more the list continues to grow!!!! Sometimes I feel like I am running in circles! :hamster: :D
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » November 6th, 2009, 2:52 pm

I understand that people who make (and use) lists are by far the most productive people around.

I tried/try to make and stick to to-do lists, but I find they then overwhelm me into a point of paralysis. The rare exception is the "I have to get these three things done by the end of the day" sticky note that occasionally goes on my monitor, to keep me on task.

Grocery lists are fine, as are packing lists; I even have an annual Thanksgiving Feast list which includes grocery items and to-dos. But for work and homelife, I just can't stand 'em. I'd probably be better off if I could deal with them, accomplish more, etc., but ultimately, they just make me feel guilty because I didn't get enough done.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » November 6th, 2009, 2:57 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:I understand that people who make (and use) lists are by far the most productive people around.

I tried/try to make and stick to to-do lists, but I find they then overwhelm me into a point of paralysis. The rare exception is the "I have to get these three things done by the end of the day" sticky note that occasionally goes on my monitor, to keep me on task.

Grocery lists are fine, as are packing lists; I even have an annual Thanksgiving Feast list which includes grocery items and to-dos. But for work and homelife, I just can't stand 'em. I'd probably be better off if I could deal with them, accomplish more, etc., but ultimately, they just make me feel guilty because I didn't get enough done.
I can relate with that!!!! I make them and then sometimes I just can't remember where that list went because of the overwhelming guilt for not accomplishing everything or enough. However, I have a beer or few and get over that pretty quickly! :D
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 6th, 2009, 3:11 pm

I make various sized and colored sticky notes. Small ones for jobs that would only take 15 minutes or so ranging to bigger ones for time-consuming tasks. If I only have a couple of minutes to fill, I check the stickies location for little ones, yank 'em down and do them. It's sort of fun to see how many little jobs can get knocked off in a short amount of time or by only allowing myself a certain amount of time to accomplish some task. It sort of makes a game out of it all and keeps one focused and on task. There is satisfaction in seeing the stickies disappearing.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » November 6th, 2009, 4:50 pm

My dad was a list maker and I learned early to do the same thing. (When some of his former students came to the visitation after my dad died, list making was one thing they all said he taught them.... most were in their 70's by that time.) I make the usual "to do" lists, short term and longer term. There are packing list before trips including tailgating. One of the most important kinds of lists is my monthly budgets (mine and the business). When I was taking care of things for one of my elderly aunts, there was a budget for her needs, too. If there's a project or task, there's a list!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » November 6th, 2009, 11:02 pm

I periodically make lists, but always misplace them or forget to look at them.
-- DukeUsul
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 7th, 2009, 1:40 am

I use lists to keep track of my homework... And a few other important things.

I should probably start to use them more often. Especially next year when I have to keep up with everything myself! :-o
Class of 2014
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 7th, 2009, 9:19 pm

I make mental lists, which tend to drive me crazie :D :ymdevil: =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » November 8th, 2009, 9:15 am

I put everything in the gantt charts. :-B
sMiles
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 8th, 2009, 1:09 pm

Miles wrote:I put everything in the gantt charts. :-B
I had to Google that. Isn't that a little OCD for just one person?

~ James Naismith
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 9th, 2009, 4:15 pm

CathyCA wrote:
About to google...
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 9th, 2009, 4:16 pm

Rolvix wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
About to google...
I could use those...
Especially for homework.
Class of 2014
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 9th, 2009, 11:23 pm

i make daily list on index cards.as i usually wear jeans, i slip the list in my back pocket. i do the same for a grocery list. works for me.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » November 10th, 2009, 1:47 pm

My wife is a listmaker. I am not. Therefore, she makes lists, hands them to me, and says "make it so." I'm a list person enabler. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage