Soccer, footie, football, futbol

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Soccer, footie, football, futbol

Post by Rolvix » October 30th, 2009, 4:31 pm

I don't understand the Liverpool Arsenal game this past Wednesday... Are the rules different for the Carling Cup? Why were there no real starters playing???
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 31st, 2009, 2:41 pm

Fulham 3 - 1 Liverpool.
And with this game, dreams of QUALIFYING for next year's CL are GONE. Glen Johnson and Stevie G are injured. Torres played 60 minutes, but had to be subbed out. IIRC, TWO Liverpool players were ejected (including Carra).

On the bright side, my acquisition of Lampard is paying off well. He's my captain this week, so I earned 22 points from him. Hopefully the THREE players I have on Aston Villa will kick some tail Wednesday/Tuesday after today's dreadful result.

As for Arsenal... you MUST see Cesc's goal in today's match. HIGHLIGHT reel action. The equivalent of a slam dunk off a 1 on 5 break.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 5th, 2009, 3:56 pm

I Know the Score is kind of interesting, I've lost major points the last two weeks. Luckily you two have as well :-)
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 5th, 2009, 9:24 pm

Rolvix wrote:I Know the Score is kind of interesting, I've lost major points the last two weeks. Luckily you two have as well :-)
That game is getting rather frustrating.

As for the other fantasy game, should I join the Liverpool fans group? I'd be in the top 5 if I joined.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 6th, 2009, 11:12 am

Lavabe wrote:
Rolvix wrote:I Know the Score is kind of interesting, I've lost major points the last two weeks. Luckily you two have as well :-)

As for the other fantasy game, should I join the Liverpool fans group? I'd be in the top 5 if I joined.
Yeah!
It seems like you are doing pretty awesome!
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 6th, 2009, 1:20 pm

Rolvix wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

Yeah!
It seems like you are doing pretty awesome!
Looks like the Gerrard move was well timed, as I saw a report on FSC that they're looking at whether he needs surgery. And El Nino is questionable for the Birmingham game. Add in the Johnson injury, the red cards, and the other injuries, and Liverpool is a MESS. Still, with all of that, they are just a couple of games or so out of the running for the top 4.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 7th, 2009, 1:55 am

Van Persie is lookin' good!
I'm not a Liverpool fan but I hope that Torres doesn't actually have to undergo surgery. That would be a horrible scenario for the Reds (along with Gerrard going under the knife).
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 7th, 2009, 6:05 am

Rolvix wrote:Van Persie is lookin' good!
I'm not a Liverpool fan but I hope that Torres doesn't actually have to undergo surgery. That would be a horrible scenario for the Reds (along with Gerrard going under the knife).
I hadn't heard about possible surgery for Torres.

FWIW, if I join the Liverpool US fans league, I'll have the top score. If I join the worldwide Liverpool fans group, I'll be in the top 3. I don't know if I'll annoy either group by joining.

Too bad we can't get a third person currently active to join our league. We could move up in the league standings. Right now, we don't appear in league competition.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 7th, 2009, 7:09 am

Looks like they suspended the University of New Mexico women's soccer player who was playing rough (for lack of a better phrase) against BYU. I'd rather not post the link to the video of what she did, but it was all over ESPN SportsCenter. I'm just very surprised that she did not receive a red card during the game.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 7th, 2009, 11:35 am

Lavabe wrote:Looks like they suspended the University of New Mexico women's soccer player who was playing rough (for lack of a better phrase) against BYU. I'd rather not post the link to the video of what she did, but it was all over ESPN SportsCenter. I'm just very surprised that she did not receive a red card during the game.
I saw that. It was a bit ridiculous... Way to degrade the sport girl.
I can't imagine what led her to "rough" the opposing player like that.
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 7th, 2009, 1:39 pm

Rolvix wrote:Van Persie is lookin' good!
His pass to Cesc for the 3rd goal today was perfect.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 11th, 2009, 6:43 pm

Liverpool tied, barely, at home vs. Birmingham. They've had poor luck against BC, so it came as no surprise. I believe they outshot BC by like 30 - 6. No Torres. Gerrard came on as a sub. Johnson played.

International break this week. Will have to wait until next weekend before we get more EPL action.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 15th, 2009, 7:00 am

BADDDDDD News, Rolvix!!

Van Persie may be out several months because of ankle ligament damage in the Dutch friendly last night:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... nd&cc=5901
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 15th, 2009, 3:33 pm

Lavabe wrote:BADDDDDD News, Rolvix!!

Van Persie may be out several months because of ankle ligament damage in the Dutch friendly last night:
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story ... nd&cc=5901
WHAT?! And Bendter is out too!
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 20th, 2009, 9:34 am

Henry's Handball in the WC qualifier against Ireland is a real shame. When one of the sport's big ambassadors admits to a handball on the play that led to the knockout goal, something's wrong. I really hope that Ireland succeeds in getting a replay, under the spirit of Fair Play. I believe there's more chance of CBaB wearing Carowhinea Blue at Brunchgate, but I wish FIFA would do something quick about it.

And I was rooting for France in that match.

Just YUCK!!

In other news, DECEMBER 4 is the World Cup draw.

WOO-HOO!!!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 22nd, 2009, 8:03 pm

Gee... I wish I knew that Lampard wasn't playing... and is injured through the rest of the month... before I selected him as a captain this week. Combined with Ballack and Glen Johnson and Torres not starting, and I've plummetted.

Back to Stevie G on my team.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 22nd, 2009, 8:05 pm

Tottenham Hotspur 9 - 1 Wigan Athletic.
:-o :-o :twitch:
OH MY!! DeFoe had 5 goals.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 22nd, 2009, 8:24 pm

Lavabe wrote:Henry's Handball in the WC qualifier against Ireland is a real shame. When one of the sport's big ambassadors admits to a handball on the play that led to the knockout goal, something's wrong. I really hope that Ireland succeeds in getting a replay, under the spirit of Fair Play. I believe there's more chance of CBaB wearing Carowhinea Blue at Brunchgate, but I wish FIFA would do something quick about it.

And I was rooting for France in that match.

Just YUCK!!

In other news, DECEMBER 4 is the World Cup draw.

WOO-HOO!!!
I can't believe this, somebody showed it to me over the weekend. Honestly that game needs to be replayed. In the heat of the game I can almost understand why Henry did it - you just don't have time to reason that quickly. The ref should have caught it, or at least taken back the goal when he found out about it. If I were Henry I would watch out for rabid Ireland supporters!
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » November 22nd, 2009, 8:26 pm

Lavabe wrote:Tottenham Hotspur 9 - 1 Wigan Athletic.
:-o :-o :twitch:
OH MY!! DeFoe had 5 goals.
I saw this on my phone! That's unbelievable. I would still argue that Arshavin's 4-goal game against Liverpool was more impressive considering the skill level of the opponent. :D Overall, the Spurs were incredible against Wigan though. Poor guys...

Ugh. I had a feeling Arsenal would lose to Sunderland... I should've used that in my I Know The Score picks.
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » November 24th, 2009, 6:40 am

Chelsea plays at Arsenal this weekend. Chelsea should be without Lampard, and I suspect Ballack too.

Liverpool plays the same day at Goodison in the Merseyside Derby. Stevie G is back. Meanwhile, Glen Johnson and Daniel Agger should be in the lineup in Hungary this week. There's talk that El Nino may play Sunday.

Wigan players are refunding their fans who made it to the 9-1 game at White Hart Lane. Nice.