LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by windsor » October 28th, 2009, 11:44 am

DukeUsul wrote:
windsor wrote:Very cool - a double dip...watched the NASA feed then looked out the office window and followed her the rest of the way...
(yes, you can see the launches from Tampa - the con trail and engine burns)
I'm so jealous. I need to get down there for a launch.
The trouble is they have to scrub them so often you may have to stay a while. :D Not that hanging out in Floirda is a bad thing!
When you are there they are amazing....a night launch from the Cape is unbelievable...the ground shakes...the roar...my first launch ever when I was a kid was Apollo 13. From the family/friends vieweing area. I can still hear that big old Saturn V lifting off the pad...
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 28th, 2009, 11:46 am

DukeUsul wrote:
windsor wrote:Very cool - a double dip...watched the NASA feed then looked out the office window and followed her the rest of the way...
I was there for Apollo 12 and a Shuttle launch in 1994. The sound and vibration of the Saturn V rocket , even from 20 miles away, was far greater than the Shuttle launch from 8-10 miles away.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 28th, 2009, 11:55 am

windsor wrote: When you are there they are amazing....a night launch from the Cape is unbelievable...the ground shakes...the roar...my first launch ever when I was a kid was Apollo 13. From the family/friends vieweing area. I can still hear that big old Saturn V lifting off the pad...
You were so much closer than I was for the Apollo launch. We were parked along side I-95. For the Shuttle launch, I was picking my daughter up after a week's stay at Space Camp, and they had arranged for us to watch from "on the property", but not anywhere close. I was expecting a Saturn V experience, but it wasn't even close.

BTW, if you are a space geek, and haven't been to Space Camp, you are missing out on one of life's pleasures. They have parent/child weekends (which we did together in 1993) and weeklong adult programs, along with the various levels of programs for kids from 9 to 18 years old. http://www.spacecamp.com/category.php?cat=Space The cost is reasonable but not cheap, and well worth every penny, especially for the parent/child weekend, where you spend quality time with your kid, kindle his or her interest in science, and get to live out your (clean) space fantasy, all at the same time! :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » October 28th, 2009, 11:57 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:
I was there for Apollo 12 and a Shuttle launch in 1994. The sound and vibration of the Saturn V rocket , even from 20 miles away, was far greater than the Shuttle launch from 8-10 miles away.
Now you got me curious. Let's compare the maximum thrust of the two systems

Saturn V first stage: 34 Million Newtons
STS: 12.5 MN x 2 SRBS + 1.7 MN x 3 main engines = 30.4 MN

Actually, not as far different as I expected.
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » October 28th, 2009, 11:58 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
windsor wrote: When you are there they are amazing....a night launch from the Cape is unbelievable...the ground shakes...the roar...my first launch ever when I was a kid was Apollo 13. From the family/friends vieweing area. I can still hear that big old Saturn V lifting off the pad...
You were so much closer than I was for the Apollo launch. We were parked along side I-95. For the Shuttle launch, I was picking my daughter up after a week's stay at Space Camp, and they had arranged for us to watch from "on the property", but not anywhere close. I was expecting a Saturn V experience, but it wasn't even close.

BTW, if you are a space geek, and haven't been to Space Camp, you are missing out on one of life's pleasures. They have parent/child weekends (which we did together in 1993) and weeklong adult programs, along with the various levels of programs for kids from 9 to 18 years old. http://www.spacecamp.com/category.php?cat=Space The cost is reasonable but not cheap, and well worth every penny, especially for the parent/child weekend, where you spend quality time with your kid, kindle his or her interest in science, and get to live out your (clean) space fantasy, all at the same time! :D
I can't wait til Katie's older - I would LOVE to take her to Space Camp. I was a kid when the movie came out and have always wanted to go.
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » October 28th, 2009, 12:00 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

I wonder if the sound suppression system they use for the shuttle launches would be the reason for the difference you both noted.

http://science.ksc.nasa.gov/shuttle/tec ... over-sound
-- DukeUsul
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 28th, 2009, 12:52 pm

That is entirely possible - the payload (and people) on the shuttle missions are physically much closer to the engines than the Apollo capsules were...hence the need for sound suppression. I don't think I have ever heard anything anywhere close to a Saturn V.

We were, IIRC, still 3 miles away - which I believe was the minimum distance at the time.

There was a man standing behind us in bleachers...he and my father (father was and IBMer who did a lot of work with NASA back in those days)
had a couple of 'technical' converstations...I assumed he worked for NASA...anyway as soon as you saw the main engines fire up I could hear this guy saying "GO BABY GO GO GO GO.." until she cleared the gantry. The Saturn V moved so slowly during in initial seconds you could feel the collective will of the spectators helping her off the pad.

Many many years later the Smithsonian Air/Space Museum had a partial Saturn V stage on display...and stencilled on the wall in the corner above all the 'official information'....what else? "Go Baby Go" It was my favorite thing in that museum for the longest time.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 28th, 2009, 1:12 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
Ozzie's gonna be down there and windsor promised him a lunch. Perhaps you could join them. :roll: Oh, wait a minute, YOU said a launch...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 28th, 2009, 3:20 pm

Launch AND lunch...works for me!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 28th, 2009, 3:56 pm

It's mighty calm in these parts today!
(-|
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 28th, 2009, 3:57 pm

Lavabe wrote:It's mighty calm in these parts today!
(-|
I was partying over on the 8-x birthday thread.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 28th, 2009, 4:05 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: Like a Burma Shave sign line.
Anyone remember the "Burma Shav" thread over yonder? It was great fun!
I bet they culled it a while ago. b-(
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 28th, 2009, 6:01 pm

devildeac wrote:
colchar wrote:
windsor wrote:I just past Miles in post count (for the moment anyway). Colchar is a long way ahead ....I can see his tail lights from here

You meant passed right Mom?
Who do you think you are, wilson? :roll: ;) :)) =))

I'm stepping in for him while he is away from the boards.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 28th, 2009, 6:02 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Little lesson for you, bud. Free piece of advice from someone who's been there. Never, ever, EVER correct your MIL, ESPECIALLY in public. At least not if you don't want to have BOTH of the ladies against you. ;) Rookie mistake.

%%-

But I was doing it on behalf of Wilson. She knows it didn't come from me.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 28th, 2009, 6:32 pm

The next page of this thread is the 666th. Pretty good timing considering the next holiday.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 28th, 2009, 6:51 pm

I think I got left behind at page 610, so that means I have like 55 pages to read thru, OMG!!!!! Holy Moley!!!! :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :Clap: @-) :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: Congratulations to all the contributors!!!!!! All Ya all are AMAZING!!!!!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 28th, 2009, 8:20 pm

cl15876 wrote:I think I got left behind at page 610, so that means I have like 55 pages to read thru, OMG!!!!! Holy Moley!!!! :-o :-o :-o :-o :-o :Clap: @-) :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: Congratulations to all the contributors!!!!!! All Ya all are AMAZING!!!!!
Insane! I read a lot of the 55 pgs. Toooo much. :D Like I said earlier, cheap entertainment. Keep it up. :))
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » October 28th, 2009, 9:38 pm

So a mod over there posted a clearly political issue on the OTB. I posted a link to a Huffington Post reprint of an AP article in the thread. Now people have their undies in a bundle. Sigh. The more things change.....
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » October 28th, 2009, 9:39 pm

And Go Phillies!!!! Nice baserunning Yankees!
-- DukeUsul
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 28th, 2009, 10:43 pm

+124 with this post...

...and counting :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.