LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by YmoBeThere » October 23rd, 2009, 9:20 pm

windsor wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:But it is probably best done in moderation...

I need a moderator to talk to myself ? :D
Well, there are some out there that will certainly argue :)) None here however.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 23rd, 2009, 9:28 pm

Bostondevil wrote:I am starting piano lessons again with my sons' piano teacher. First lesson is this afternoon. I need to go cut my fingernails.
That's great! I salute you. I've thought about doing that. I'm trying to get back to the point where I was before, something that takes practice. I think it would be helpful for me to have guidance. I'd probably do better than with my current ADD-type strategy of just playing random stuff.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 23rd, 2009, 9:36 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Got an interesting phone call tonight from my older sister. She wanted to know what she should tell my 18-yr-old niece (a HS senior) to convince her that she doesn't want to go to Yale. One of her friends is going there and wants my niece to go visit with her. My answer was high crime rate, followed by indebtedness after graduation. With that being said, I have a philosophical question: would an honors student with a 28 ACT score from a small school in MO be able to handle a place like Yale? Am I awful for thinking that she's not up for it and/or does't have what it takes? Honestly, I don't know if she's prepared for Ivy Leage. I know I wouldn't have been afer high school. Does that sound awful?
What's the harm in letting her go visit, and see for herself? I had brief aspirations of going to Yale, until I saw the armpit of the Northeast, aka New Haven.

But she undoubtedly could handle the academics; she'd be unique if she's coming from the midwest into a traditionally NE-based student body. Might be a good place for her. What are the objections besides the crime? Besides the overly-publicized recent crime on campus, it's no worse there than any other down-on-its-luck inner city (and I'd imagine the campus is very sheltered from a lot of that.) Does she know what she wants to study?
Last I heard, she wants to major in psychology with the ultimate goal of going to med school to become a psychologist. I, too, think she should visit. My gut tells me she wouldn't like it. I'm perfectly prepared to be proud and tickled pink if she loves it, gets accepted, and thrives there. I think that getting accepted would be problematic. I chatted today with a colleague who went there for undergrad; he said she wouldn't get in with her academic record. I suspected that might be the case. She's very intelligent, but she can't compete with the typical Yale applicant. Her standardized test scores are too low. (I'll save my rant on my feelings on standardized test scores.)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » October 23rd, 2009, 9:46 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:I got a Blackberry Tour yesterday. I am going to take it back. The fonts in places are so smail I can't read them and thats with my glasses on. With my glasses, I'm 20.20. I don't get why they would do this.
The Blackberry's default font sizes are very small. You can make them larger. I had to make mine very large.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 23rd, 2009, 10:02 pm

wilson wrote:I just posted on the DBArrr! :ar! for the first time in months. I might need a shower.
Stop arguing with throaty! ;)

Does this mean I have to log on over yonder to read your post? UGH! I may need a shower too.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 23rd, 2009, 10:17 pm

West Virginia driving today was GORGEOUS!! Peak autumn colors.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 23rd, 2009, 10:39 pm

Tilly's living room futon is comfy. She has good cable too.
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » October 23rd, 2009, 11:11 pm

wilson wrote:Tilly's living room futon is comfy. She has good cable too.
Oh my. wilson is sleeping on Tilly's couch!
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 23rd, 2009, 11:17 pm

To answer all piano related questions.

I studied eleven years, 2nd grade through high school. I entered ONE concerto competition. I intentionally flubbed certain parts because I was scared to death of winning. My teacher and I decided together that I didn't have to enter any more. After graduating from high school I went cold turkey on the piano for most of my time at Duke. It just wasn't fun anymore. I started playing again after college but didn't own my own piano until about 10 years ago. I play classical mostly although there is one Christmas party I go to every year where it's my job to accompany everybody during the Carol Sing. Today I worked on Chopin's Nocturne #2 and Chopin's Waltz in A flat major (#9, Fontana version). My teacher has suggested I also start working on the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata which, surprisingly, I have never played before.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 23rd, 2009, 11:20 pm

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/sport ... athon.html

I didn't much care for this article.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 23rd, 2009, 11:40 pm

Bostondevil wrote:To answer all piano related questions.

I studied eleven years, 2nd grade through high school. I entered ONE concerto competition. I intentionally flubbed certain parts because I was scared to death of winning. My teacher and I decided together that I didn't have to enter any more. After graduating from high school I went cold turkey on the piano for most of my time at Duke. It just wasn't fun anymore. I started playing again after college but didn't own my own piano until about 10 years ago. I play classical mostly although there is one Christmas party I go to every year where it's my job to accompany everybody during the Carol Sing. Today I worked on Chopin's Nocturne #2 and Chopin's Waltz in A flat major (#9, Fontana version). My teacher has suggested I also start working on the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata which, surprisingly, I have never played before.
That's so cool! I didn't get to start piano lessons until junior high. I studied through high school and took lessons a couple of semesters in college. My piano teacher through high school liked me because I actually wanted to play classical music. I was a huge Beethoven fan back then, and the first movement of Moonlight Sonata was one of the pieces I wanted to learn. He make me pass some other icky piece that I can't remember before he'd let me start it. I always had trouble with Moonlight Sonata because of my short fingers, and now I really have trouble. Aside from having trouble with the octave reaches and just getting all the notes, my hands start cramping. I still try to play it on occasion. My current composer of choice is Bach; I'm working on an easy arrangement of Sheep May Safely Graze. I like Chopin, too, and always wanted to play Nocturne in E flat major. I can play a few measures; that's it. Maybe I should look into lessons...
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 24th, 2009, 12:22 am

CathyCA wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:I got a Blackberry Tour yesterday. I am going to take it back. The fonts in places are so smail I can't read them and thats with my glasses on. With my glasses, I'm 20.20. I don't get why they would do this.
The Blackberry's default font sizes are very small. You can make them larger. I had to make mine very large.
I was able to make some of them larger but not all. Hope you can help me tomorrow. Thanks for responding.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 24th, 2009, 12:27 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
I was able to make some of them larger but not all. Hope you can help me tomorrow. Thanks for responding.
I guess I should have said "tomorrow". I have done it again. Stayed up way too late.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » October 24th, 2009, 12:34 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:Stayed up way too late.

There is no such thing as staying up way too late.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 24th, 2009, 12:50 am

colchar wrote:

When I have to get up @ 6 it is. Will I ever learn? I doubt it. I have done this since my teen years. :D
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 24th, 2009, 12:54 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:
colchar wrote:

When I have to get up @ 6 it is. Will I ever learn? I doubt it. I have done this since my teen years. :D
There is no one on the board. See, I told you I stay up toooooo late. Good night to me. :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 24th, 2009, 1:49 am

I just wrote a 'Letter to the Editor' of the New York Times. I'll post it here if they don't use it.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 24th, 2009, 6:55 am

Bostondevil wrote:http://www.nytimes.com/2009/10/23/sport ... athon.html

I didn't much care for this article.
I'm shocked that an article in the NYT would ever come across as elitist.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 24th, 2009, 7:04 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:

There is no one on the board. See, I told you I stay up toooooo late. Good night to me. :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
Now it's way too early for a Saturday morning, but I woke up about 6:40. Guess I went to be way too early for a Friday night... =))

See many of you later this morning! B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 24th, 2009, 7:19 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:

Now it's way too early for a Saturday morning, but I woke up about 6:40. Guess I went to be way too early for a Friday night... =))

See many of you later this morning! B-)
Not much happened last night sports-wise. Now today on the other hand.