Soccer, footie, football, futbol

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Soccer, footie, football, futbol

Post by wilson » October 14th, 2009, 11:34 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
Lavabe wrote:US ties Costa Rica at home 2-2 with a goal in the 90th+ minute. Glad to see them tie it up (they were down 0-2 much of the game). That's all that was needed to take the top of the CONCACAF table. The US had 20 pts, followed by Mexico at 19pts, followed by Honduras at 16 points. Costa Rica plays Uruguay in playoffs, as Uruguay lost 0-1 at home vs. Argentina, who make it into the World Cup.

US striker Charlie Davies (in hospital due to a tragic car wreck) received a tribute from the fans at the game tonight.
I loved it. I like seeing the battle back from 0-2 (both goals in the last 20:00 or so of play), and winning CONCACAF is a nice prize by US Soccer standards.
Another nice thing: I was out playing trivia at a wing joint, and when USA scored the equalizer in stoppage time, a loud yell went up from a packed house. Cool to see people into the game, and as I said earlier, a nice moment for soccer in the States on a night with no baseball and only Boise St.-Tulsa football (actually not a terrible game in its own right) to contend with.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 15th, 2009, 5:52 am

Gerard and Torres got a little hurt this last week in World Cup qualifying action. According to the reports I've read, Torres should be fit for Liverpool's next match with Sunderland. I haven't seen any reports about Gerard's status.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 16th, 2009, 6:36 pm

Whoops... Gerrard & Torres are out for this weekend's match with Sunderland.

There goes my fantasy team! :ymsick:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 17th, 2009, 1:27 pm

Well, I'm mad about Liverpool's subpar performance today at Sunderland, but I expected as such given they did not have Gerrard and Torres. However, I GUARANTEE that this game will make the highlight reel. Liverpool lost 1-0 at Sunderland, on a shot by Sunderland's Darren Bent. In the 5th minute, Bent shot at the goal, but the ball HIT A BALLOON ON THE FIELD, deflecting past the Liverpool goalkeep.

1-0... lost because of a freakin' balloon on the pitch.

Now I've heard of everything.

Sheesh,
Lavabe
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 17th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Lavabe wrote: In the 5th minute, Bent shot at the goal, but the ball HIT A BALLOON ON THE FIELD, deflecting past the Liverpool goalkeep.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) Looking forward to seeing that one!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 17th, 2009, 2:55 pm

On the other hand, the best played game of the day may have been Villa 2-1 over Chelsea. Very well played!

Unfortunately, I have Ballack and Gerrard in my midfield, so my midfield total today STUNK.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » October 17th, 2009, 3:38 pm

Lavabe wrote:Well, I'm mad about Liverpool's subpar performance today at Sunderland, but I expected as such given they did not have Gerrard and Torres. However, I GUARANTEE that this game will make the highlight reel. Liverpool lost 1-0 at Sunderland, on a shot by Sunderland's Darren Bent. In the 5th minute, Bent shot at the goal, but the ball HIT A BALLOON ON THE FIELD, deflecting past the Liverpool goalkeep.

Sheesh,
Lavabe
Somewhere in here, there lurks a joke about the storm-chasing publicity hounds from Colorado.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 17th, 2009, 4:16 pm

The balloon was more of a balloon ball, and it was tossed from the stands in Sunderland... thrown onto the pitch by one of the Liverpool fans. If it were filled with helium like the Colorado folks, I doubt the shot would have been deflected.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 17th, 2009, 4:24 pm

wilson wrote:Somewhere in here, there lurks a joke about the storm-chasing publicity hounds from Colorado.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » October 18th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Lavabe wrote:Well, I'm mad about Liverpool's subpar performance today at Sunderland, but I expected as such given they did not have Gerrard and Torres. However, I GUARANTEE that this game will make the highlight reel. Liverpool lost 1-0 at Sunderland, on a shot by Sunderland's Darren Bent. In the 5th minute, Bent shot at the goal, but the ball HIT A BALLOON ON THE FIELD, deflecting past the Liverpool goalkeep.

Sheesh,
Lavabe
Good gracious, how unlucky for Liverpool!
How come something like that can't happen to ManU? :-\
Class of 2014
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 18th, 2009, 9:18 pm

Talked to brit friend tonight, he's a huge sunderlan fan..his name is Ian, his screen name is Sunderlian, and I laughed as I told him congrats on the win. It was a beach ball..not a balloon, and he said thanks very much. He was still laughing as I closed my mic. =))
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 19th, 2009, 9:01 am

Lavabe wrote:The balloon was more of a balloon ball, and it was tossed from the stands in Sunderland... thrown onto the pitch by one of the Liverpool fans. If it were filled with helium like the Colorado folks, I doubt the shot would have been deflected.
I saw the highlight.
UGH!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 20th, 2009, 12:19 am

Today's Monday night EPL football was Fulham 2 - 0 Hull.

Probably the worst game played in the EPL this year.
Note: if you have to attend an EPL game, do NOT visit Craven Cottage. During the first 40 minutes, the analysts commented that the roof needed to be redone. I swear I heard crickets in the 1st 40 minutes.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » October 20th, 2009, 9:22 pm

We beat Rose High tonight, 3 - 0. Now, we are out of danger of being in last (and Rose is last for sure), and we have a possibility of moving up one or two in the next week and a half. I'm pretty sure one of the Rose players came within a few lbs of pressure from breaking my leg. I blocked his shot, but his entire weight came down on me shin - ouch!
Class of 2014
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 20th, 2009, 10:56 pm

CellR wrote:We beat Rose High tonight, 3 - 0. Now, we are out of danger of being in last (and Rose is last for sure), and we have a possibility of moving up one or two in the next week and a half. I'm pretty sure one of the Rose players came within a few lbs of pressure from breaking my leg. I blocked his shot, but his entire weight came down on me shin - ouch!
Congratulations on the win!!!! :-bd I hope your leg heals without issues!!!! Sending vibes and prayers for you from VA!!!! :ympray: :ympray: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 21st, 2009, 4:29 pm

So the EPL/FA have ruled that the Sunderland vs. Liverpool game will not be replayed, even though the referee made the wrong decision to allow the goal that deflected off the beachball.
http://www.goal.com/en-us/news/85/engla ... rland-will

In other dreadful Liverpool news, who knows if Gerrard, Torres, and Glen Johnson will play vs. ManU?

I've traded Gerrard off my fantasy team, and replaced him with Lampard. At least Lampard won't get injured as much. Any word if Ballack is back with Chelsea?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 24th, 2009, 3:03 pm

Lavabe wrote:I've traded Gerrard off my fantasy team, and replaced him with Lampard. At least Lampard won't get injured as much. Any word if Ballack is back with Chelsea?
Holy Moley!! I made Lampard my captain this week. I gained 30 points with him, and 7 points with Ballack. Lampard scored twice. Ballack ran wild over Blackburn. WOO-HOO!!

I'm still awaiting action from El Nino, Vermaelen, and SuperCesc. This could be a REALLY good week for me. So far, I am in the top 300.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » October 25th, 2009, 2:17 pm

Blast. Arsenal ties.
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » October 26th, 2009, 1:49 pm

CellR wrote:Blast. Arsenal ties.
Yeah... tell ME about it. Vermaelen and Cesc did bubkas.

Now LIVERPOOL, on the other hand, made Fergie go nuts. TERPING again about the refs. I guess the refs wouldn't give ManU another five minutes of stoppage time.

Oh yeah... Liverpool 2-0 over ManU. Torres with the first goal, Ngog got the second one with seconds left in the game.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » October 26th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Lavabe wrote:
CellR wrote:Blast. Arsenal ties.
Yeah... tell ME about it. Vermaelen and Cesc did bubkas.

Now LIVERPOOL, on the other hand, made Fergie go nuts. TERPING again about the refs. I guess the refs wouldn't give ManU another five minutes of stoppage time.

Oh yeah... Liverpool 2-0 over ManU. Torres with the first goal, Ngog got the second one with seconds left in the game.
WhooO!!!!! :-bd :-bd :-bd :D
Class of 2014