Most annoying words or phrases

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Most annoying words or phrases

Post by Lavabe » October 1st, 2009, 6:46 am

knights68 wrote:Have any to add?
Tar Heel. L-)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 1st, 2009, 7:51 am

Lavabe wrote:
knights68 wrote:Have any to add?
Tar Heel. L-)

Actually 'Tarheels lose' is one of my favorite phrases :D
Tarheels win...that is the MOST annoying :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 1st, 2009, 8:20 am

Semi-related: On our walk last night, my wife asked me what would make a heel hurt. My reply? Any loss to DUKE ;) :D .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 1st, 2009, 9:01 am

"uber" anything.
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 1st, 2009, 9:14 am

Miles wrote:"uber" anything.
How about Uber Pils (Small Craft Warning?) or Uber Abbey Ale (proper name: Holy Sheet) from the Clipper City Heavy Seas beer series? ;) :D
Miles

Post by Miles » October 1st, 2009, 9:21 am

devildeac wrote:
Miles wrote:"uber" anything.
How about Uber Pils (Small Craft Warning?) or Uber Abbey Ale (proper name: Holy Sheet) from the Clipper City Heavy Seas beer series? ;) :D
I would accept these as traders, but I would never purchase them solely because of their name!
sMiles
Miles

Post by Miles » October 1st, 2009, 11:24 am

With all due respect, I'd like to challenge the assertion that some these words or phrases are annoying. Shouldn't of they been more specific about why they're annoying? I mean, at the end of the day they're just words right? Personally, at the end of the day, the way we all use words is fairly unique. At this moment in time, I am absolutely using words to express my opinion. It's not rocket science, it's a nightmare. I absolutely think that 24/7 is annoying.
sMiles
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 1st, 2009, 11:26 am

Miles wrote:With all due respect, I'd like to challenge the assertion that some these words or phrases are annoying. Shouldn't of they been more specific about why they're annoying? I mean, at the end of the day they're just words right? Personally, at the end of the day, the way we all use words is fairly unique. At this moment in time, I am absolutely using words to express my opinion. It's not rocket science, it's a nightmare. I absolutely think that 24/7 is annoying.

FAIL

=)) =)) =)) =))
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » October 1st, 2009, 11:28 am

Miles wrote:With all due respect, I'd like to challenge the assertion that some these words or phrases are annoying. Shouldn't of they been more specific about why they're annoying? I mean, at the end of the day they're just words right? Personally, at the end of the day, the way we all use words is fairly unique. At this moment in time, I am absolutely using words to express my opinion. It's not rocket science, it's a nightmare. I absolutely think that 24/7 is annoying.
Personally, this post really bothers me. I mean really, words may be words, but they can offend 24/7 too. Know what I mean?

Miles and I may need a time out. I'm just saying.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Miles

Post by Miles » October 1st, 2009, 11:30 am

TillyGalore wrote:
Personally, this post really bothers me. I mean really, words may be words, but they can offend 24/7 too. Know what I mean?

Bottomline, we don't need no timeouts.
sMiles
TNTDevil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by TNTDevil » October 1st, 2009, 11:34 am

I hear what you're saying but, I need you to talk about how you got to this opinion. I mean, I gotcha', words are right in your wheelhouse. So, uh... umm... oh, whatever!
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 1st, 2009, 11:44 am

It drives my wife absolutely bonkers when she hears someone, usually an athlete, use the word "disrespect" as an active verb. She goes completely nuts when she hears that.

When someone says "no pun intended" or "no offense" or something along those lines, 9 times out of 10, they're using it as an excuse to use a bad pun or say something offensive. If you REALLY don't intend a pun, but you see it coming, or you REALLY don't intend to offend somebody, than use your brain and say it differently. It's one thing if you see the pun or offensive comment after the fact. However, if you know you're about to say it, then rephrase rather than try to downplay it preemptively. That kind of annoys me, and it's kind of a cop out in my book. If you're gonna say it, and you KNOW you're gonna say it, OWN it, baby! ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » October 1st, 2009, 12:08 pm

bjornolf wrote:It drives my wife absolutely bonkers when she hears someone, usually an athlete, use the word "disrespect" as an active verb. She goes completely nuts when she hears that.

When someone says "no pun intended" or "no offense" or something along those lines, 9 times out of 10, they're using it as an excuse to use a bad pun or say something offensive. If you REALLY don't intend a pun, but you see it coming, or you REALLY don't intend to offend somebody, than use your brain and say it differently. It's one thing if you see the pun or offensive comment after the fact. However, if you know you're about to say it, then rephrase rather than try to downplay it preemptively. That kind of annoys me, and it's kind of a cop out in my book. If you're gonna say it, and you KNOW you're gonna say it, OWN it, baby! ;)

%%-
Guess I can never say "I'm honored' ever again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 1st, 2009, 12:21 pm

TillyGalore wrote:

You know, like, I hope I don't have to put either/both of you in time-out, for, you know, an hour or two so cooler heads can prevail. ;) :D
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 1st, 2009, 1:07 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
bjornolf wrote:It drives my wife absolutely bonkers when she hears someone, usually an athlete, use the word "disrespect" as an active verb. She goes completely nuts when she hears that.

%%-
Hey, I have NO problem whatsoever with puns, especially good ones. I love puns. I love it when you say "I'm honored." It's cute. What bothers me is when people say "no pun intended", and then lay a pun on me. If you use a pun, OWN it, baby! Like I said. Just don't say "no pun intended", then hit me with a pun.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » October 1st, 2009, 1:17 pm

bjornolf wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:

%%-
Hey, I have NO problem whatsoever with puns, especially good ones. I love puns. I love it when you say "I'm honored." It's cute. What bothers me is when people say "no pun intended", and then lay a pun on me. If you use a pun, OWN it, baby! Like I said. Just don't say "no pun intended", then hit me with a pun.

%%-
Sometimes I say something punny, but I didn't really intend for it to be a pun.

No offense is a strange thing to say. I think it's a persons of way of saying I hope you don't find this offensive, but I hate Holes.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 1st, 2009, 1:23 pm

TillyGalore wrote: Sometimes I say something punny, but I didn't really intend for it to be a pun.

No offense is a strange thing to say. I think it's a persons of way of saying I hope you don't find this offensive, but I hate Holes.
I get that. If you REALLY didn't intend a pun, then sometimes it's even funnier. But there are a lot of people that will preface a pun by saying "no pun intended". That's what annoys me.

Just look at all the puns flying around in the bread thread. I rhymed. I'm a poet and I know it! ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
knights68
Full Time Student at PWing school
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by knights68 » October 1st, 2009, 1:35 pm

what about winks, or head nods/bobs/shakes?
Thumbs up too! lol
What other body language type ummm, language is an annoyance?
Miles

Post by Miles » October 1st, 2009, 1:49 pm

knights68 wrote:what about winks, or head nods/bobs/shakes?
Thumbs up too! lol
What other body language type ummm, language is an annoyance?
I find the middle finger to be quite annoying.
sMiles
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » October 1st, 2009, 9:40 pm

Here are a couple of more I thought of:

I know, right.
True that.