Politicians Doing Good (For Once)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Politicians Doing Good (For Once)

Post by rockymtn devil » September 14th, 2009, 9:35 pm

Justifiably, Americans tend to be very cynical about our politicians and, as a result, we often overlook when they actually do something good. So, perhaps to ease a tad of the cynicism, here's a brief story about two Senators doing a really great thing for some very deserving men.

For the past 40+ years, every single year, my grandfather's WWII flight crew (B-25) has gotten together for a reunion. Over the past decade or so, their numbers have dwindled and, with only three remaining alive, they've decided that this is going to be their final reunion. Age and health are catching up fast. Roughly 60 years after they first met as teenagers going off to war, this may well be the last time they see each other. For their final trip, they've decided to go to DC and view the WWII Memorial. My Mom, who's going to join them on the trip, called the offices of Ohio's two Senators--George Voinavich and Sherrod Brown--to see if the Senators would be willing to meet with the men. Both have invited the crew and families for a meeting in the Hart Building next week. The crew certainly deserves the recognition and I'm glad that, at least on this occasion, two of our politicians did the right thing.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Politicians Doing Good (For Once)

Post by Miles » September 14th, 2009, 9:56 pm

Great story! I'm glad your grandfather's crew has this opportunity to be recognized.
sMiles
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 14th, 2009, 9:57 pm

I hope your Mom will take and share pictures of this wonderful reunion of true American heroes.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 14th, 2009, 10:09 pm

RMD, thank you for sharing. And, thanks to your grandfather for saving the world. :ymhug: :ymhug:

I hope he and his friends have a great time in D.C.
I worship the Blue Devil!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » September 15th, 2009, 7:38 am

What a great story...please share the pictures when they return (there must be LOTS of pictures)

Nice to see elected officials doing the right thing for a change :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » September 15th, 2009, 8:52 am

Thank you for this post. I really appreciate what your grandfather & the crew gave to our country. God bless them, all vets, all active military & their supporting families. **==
DukePA

Post by DukePA » September 15th, 2009, 10:46 am

That is a very touching story. Thanks for sharing.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » September 16th, 2009, 8:46 am

rockymtn devil wrote:Justifiably, Americans tend to be very cynical about our politicians and, as a result, we often overlook when they actually do something good. So, perhaps to ease a tad of the cynicism, here's a brief story about two Senators doing a really great thing for some very deserving men.

For the past 40+ years, every single year, my grandfather's WWII flight crew (B-25) has gotten together for a reunion. Over the past decade or so, their numbers have dwindled and, with only three remaining alive, they've decided that this is going to be their final reunion. Age and health are catching up fast. Roughly 60 years after they first met as teenagers going off to war, this may well be the last time they see each other. For their final trip, they've decided to go to DC and view the WWII Memorial. My Mom, who's going to join them on the trip, called the offices of Ohio's two Senators--George Voinavich and Sherrod Brown--to see if the Senators would be willing to meet with the men. Both have invited the crew and families for a meeting in the Hart Building next week. The crew certainly deserves the recognition and I'm glad that, at least on this occasion, two of our politicians did the right thing.
RMD, this is awesome! Thanks for sharing this touching experience which I agree should be honored, recognized and appreciated by more! Hopefully, they will also be recognized with a flag flown over the capital which will completely round out their service given so freely and unselfishly so that we can enjoy the freedoms and liberties we do today!!! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: **== **== **== **==
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » September 16th, 2009, 9:14 pm

Glad to hear of it.
I'd be even more glad to hear that they won't be having to get there in a B-25.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"