Milestones

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Milestones

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 23rd, 2009, 9:48 pm

Sue71 wrote:Let's see. Another thread I refuse to read through. ;)
Yer missing out on lots of good history. :-B
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » August 23rd, 2009, 9:50 pm

wilson wrote:
What does it say about my life that I'm proud of having started a message board thread that's gotten long enough to dissuade newcomers from reading all the way through it?
Newcomer? :(
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 23rd, 2009, 9:51 pm

Sue71 wrote:
wilson wrote:
What does it say about my life that I'm proud of having started a message board thread that's gotten long enough to dissuade newcomers from reading all the way through it?
I meant newcomers to the thread, or maybe just people who've been away. I dunno...I was seeking simplicity. Obviously I know you're not a newcomer. :ymhug:
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » August 23rd, 2009, 9:54 pm

wilson wrote:
Sue71 wrote:
wilson wrote:What does it say about my life that I'm proud of having started a message board thread that's gotten long enough to dissuade newcomers from reading all the way through it?
I meant newcomers to the thread, or maybe just people who've been away. I dunno...I was seeking simplicity. Obviously I know you're not a newcomer. :ymhug:
Geez I'm gone for most of 2 1/2 weeks & I'm already forgotten. I see how it is. :p
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 23rd, 2009, 10:14 pm

Lavabe wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:
wilson wrote:1605: Guy Fawkes' infamous Gunpowder Plot, in which he and his conspirators planned to blow up the Houses of Parliament, assassinate King James, abduct the royal family, and induce broad-based rebellion, is thwarted. The plot makes freedom of religion for English Catholics even more unthinkable than it had previously been and sparks a new wave of English patriotism. Today, Guy Fawkes day, November 5, is celebrated as an occasion of deliverance of the crown and the Protestant nation.
The first Saturday in November was approaching the time of twilight, and the vast tract of unenclosed wild known as Egdon Heath embrowned itself moment by moment.
devildeac: Do you remember the Monty Python sketch in which the Pythons provide sportscast coverage of the writing of this famous line?
Nope. Ya got me on that :oops: one...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 23rd, 2009, 10:37 pm

From the LTE2.0
devildeac wrote:Set a new record tonight with 18 members on-line. Congrats to us. :D :roll:
Sweet!
From Wikipedia--
The Hebrew word for "life" is 'n (chai) which has a numerical value of 18. Consequently, the custom has arisen in Jewish circles to give donations and monetary gifts in multiples of 18 as an expression of blessing for long life.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 23rd, 2009, 10:42 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:From the LTE2.0
devildeac wrote:Set a new record tonight with 18 members on-line. Congrats to us. :D :roll:
Sweet!
From Wikipedia--
The Hebrew word for "life" is 'n (chai) which has a numerical value of 18. Consequently, the custom has arisen in Jewish circles to give donations and monetary gifts in multiples of 18 as an expression of blessing for long life.
Very cool. I'm gonna keep this in mind. But what exactly do you mean that the word has a numerical value of 18?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 23rd, 2009, 10:42 pm

Sweet!
From Wikipedia--
That's what I usually do ... or I do multiples of 18.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 23rd, 2009, 10:47 pm

Sweet!
From Wikipedia--
Does that mean that some of our Jewish friends/posters/brethren (and sisters, too) owe us 3/4 a case of beer? Just as long as it's NOT He'brew, the chosen brew. :roll: (that's NOT an anti-semitic joke/reference/comment. There really is a series of brews by that name.)

Or perhaps a pound and 1/2 (18 ounces ;) ) of pastrami or corned beef? :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 23rd, 2009, 10:49 pm

devildeac wrote:Or perhaps a pound and 1/2 (18 ounces ;) ) of pastrami or corned beef? :D
Hey, what are you trying to pull? A pound and a half is 24 ounces. 18 ounces is but 1.125 pounds. You schemer.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 23rd, 2009, 10:50 pm

wilson wrote:
Sweet!
From Wikipedia--
Very cool. I'm gonna keep this in mind. But what exactly do you mean that the word has a numerical value of 18?
Dunno...that's a wiki quote. I thought it was a pretty cool thought for CTN.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 23rd, 2009, 10:56 pm

wilson wrote:Very cool. I'm gonna keep this in mind. But what exactly do you mean that the word has a numerical value of 18?
Here's a linked explanation:
http://judaism.about.com/cs/judaismbasi ... 18_why.htm
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 23rd, 2009, 10:58 pm

Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:Very cool. I'm gonna keep this in mind. But what exactly do you mean that the word has a numerical value of 18?
So does that just mean they are the 8th and 10th letters, respectively, in the Hebrew alphabet?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 23rd, 2009, 11:05 pm

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
So does that just mean they are the 8th and 10th letters, respectively, in the Hebrew alphabet?
You add the two letters (10 + 8), and you get 18.
It's pretty straightforward arithmetic.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 23rd, 2009, 11:24 pm

wilson wrote:1605: Guy Fawkes' infamous Gunpowder Plot, in which he and his conspirators planned to blow up the Houses of Parliament, assassinate King James, abduct the royal family, and induce broad-based rebellion, is thwarted. The plot makes freedom of religion for English Catholics even more unthinkable than it had previously been and sparks a new wave of English patriotism. Today, Guy Fawkes day, November 5, is celebrated as an occasion of deliverance of the crown and the Protestant nation.
Totally random question: Dumbledore's phoenix in the HP books is named Fawkes. Would this be where J. K. Rowling got the name? I read Fawkes, gunpowder, and blow up, and it makes me think of the scene where Fawkes goes up in flames and collapses into a pile of ashes.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 23rd, 2009, 11:27 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Bostondevil's post above was the 236th post in this thread. I bowled a 236 when I was 11. It was my high score until college, when I bowled a 255 in intramurals.
If this thread had been in existence in the early days of the board, I could've posted to commemorate the lowest score I ever bowled (11). :oops: :lol:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 23rd, 2009, 11:28 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Totally random question: Dumbledore's phoenix in the HP books is named Fawkes. Would this be where J. K. Rowling got the name? I read Fawkes, gunpowder, and blow up, and it makes me think of the scene where Fawkes goes up in flames and collapses into a pile of ashes.
I suppose so, but I wouldn't know. I set Harry Potter aside after approximately 22 words.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 23rd, 2009, 11:30 pm

Since this my millennial post I would like to dedicate it to the founding of L'Anse aux Meadows in Newfoundland, Canada which was the first European settlement in North America. Although the exact date of its founding is debated by academics there is a large school of thought that argues that it was founded in 1000 A.D. which is good enough for me and this post!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 23rd, 2009, 11:31 pm

wilson wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Totally random question: Dumbledore's phoenix in the HP books is named Fawkes. Would this be where J. K. Rowling got the name? I read Fawkes, gunpowder, and blow up, and it makes me think of the scene where Fawkes goes up in flames and collapses into a pile of ashes.
I suppose so, but I wouldn't know. I set Harry Potter aside after approximately 22 words.
Blasphemy! :-o :roll:
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 23rd, 2009, 11:42 pm

1655: An English expeditionary force under the command of Admiral William Penn (father of that William Penn) and General Robert Venables seizes Jamaica from the Spanish. The English force includes a large contingent of privateers, marauders, and other unsavory types, and the conquest ushers in an era wherein the island was characterized by a mix of low-grade sugar cultivation and buccaneering expeditions against the Spanish Main. By the late seventeenth century, buccaneering would fall out of favor, and sugar planting and other agricultural pursuits would attain pre-eminence in Jamaica. Not until the early nineteenth century, however, would Jamaica's sugar output surpass that of Barbados and ensure the island's place as the "crown jewel of the Empire."