Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » March 6th, 2024, 2:07 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
March 6th, 2024, 9:35 am
Wayyyyy too much to quote, so I'll simply highlight the headline of this article that spotlights many of Mark Robinson's not so distant social media posts. He's trying to make Trump jealous with some of the gems he's written.
The Next Governor of North Carolina Could Be a Holocaust Denier Who Hates Pretty Much Everybody
https://www.yahoo.com/news/next-governo ... 24174.html
Just under 700,000 people actively chose to vote for him. In a Republican primary, so it is not like their choice was him or a Democrat - seems like there were other Republican options who were not the full on jerks that he is.

Who are these people? Isn't some definition of a nation/country people with baseline shared beliefs? Because I don't think that is the case anymore.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 6th, 2024, 2:58 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
March 6th, 2024, 2:07 pm
Just under 700,000 people actively chose to vote for him. In a Republican primary, so it is not like their choice was him or a Democrat - seems like there were other Republican options who were not the full on jerks that he is.

Who are these people? Isn't some definition of a nation/country people with baseline shared beliefs? Because I don't think that is the case anymore.
:-s :-\

Truly mind boggling.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » July 8th, 2024, 7:06 pm

Wow. Belligerent, nasty, snarky MAGA nation seems to be rearing its ugly head OY. The politics thread has become unreadable. We truly live in a country with two different sets of facts, morals, rules of discourse, etc. Rip off the band aid. I'm sorry my kid will need a passport if he ends up going to Duke.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » July 8th, 2024, 7:28 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
July 8th, 2024, 7:06 pm
Wow. Belligerent, nasty, snarky MAGA nation seems to be rearing its ugly head OY. The politics thread has become unreadable. We truly live in a country with two different sets of facts, morals, rules of discourse, etc. Rip off the band aid. I'm sorry my kid will need a passport if he ends up going to Duke.
There is no way to have a reasoned debate or discussion when both sides exist in different realities, and anger is a prime motivator for much of the populism. It is a real problem for our country (and for internet discussions generally).
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » July 8th, 2024, 8:50 pm

OPK wrote:
July 8th, 2024, 7:28 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
July 8th, 2024, 7:06 pm
There is no way to have a reasoned debate or discussion when both sides exist in different realities, and anger is a prime motivator for much of the populism. It is a real problem for our country (and for internet discussions generally).
Yup. Greatly appreciate your efforts to make it as good as possible. I have yet to met a Trump supporter who does not quickly transition into a nasty, snarky tone. Some are outright nasty. Others are really passive aggressive about it. It is miserable. I try really hard to be open-minded but cannot argue with crazy. And I can't converse with people who completely lack humility. Notice how most Dems are admitted their candidate is problematic? Republicans would just dig in their heels and make excuses.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 9th, 2024, 9:35 am

Yesterday while driving, at a red light we were across from a brand new BMW with a Trump 2024 plate on the front. No biggie, that's pretty common. Then he made a left turn, revealing that his entire care was wrapped in Trump '24 graphics. THE ENTIRE BRAND NEW BMW, with a likely pretty expensive full graphics wrap!

I get how people put decals on their car showing their love for their favorite sports team or band, but this insanity of making your entire identity about the most corrupt politician in modern history is so bizarre.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » July 10th, 2024, 7:53 am

July 9th, 2024, 9:35 am
Yesterday while driving, at a red light we were across from a brand new BMW with a Trump 2024 plate on the front. No biggie, that's pretty common. Then he made a left turn, revealing that his entire care was wrapped in Trump '24 graphics. THE ENTIRE BRAND NEW BMW, with a likely pretty expensive full graphics wrap!

I get how people put decals on their car showing their love for their favorite sports team or band, but this insanity of making your entire identity about the most corrupt politician in modern history is so bizarre.
Exactly. It is truly a cult by every definition. The fact that one man has brought all of this out is unbelievable. And that so many people, including many people who should truly know better, have fallen for it. And they are completely incapable of engaging in civilized conversation. They are snarky and nasty and/or all they can say are the same dumb Murdoch talking points that are so easily disproven but they believe them.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 11th, 2024, 9:19 am

Biden is having a solo news conference today at 5:30, it will easily be one of the most watched pressers in years. I'm holding out the slimmest of hope that he uses to say he's out.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 11th, 2024, 9:21 pm

Resounding "Meh" for the presser. It wasn't a disaster, but it won't stop the calls for a new candidate.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » July 13th, 2024, 7:43 pm

Trump appears to have been shot in Pennsylvania. Secret Service rushed him off stage with blood on his ear and face. This is a heinous act.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 13th, 2024, 9:38 pm

Trump won the election today.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 14th, 2024, 6:47 am

July 13th, 2024, 9:38 pm
I believe it was already won but yesterday’s event eliminates any doubt.
OPK

Post by OPK » July 14th, 2024, 8:50 am

Bob Green wrote:
July 14th, 2024, 6:47 am
July 13th, 2024, 9:38 pm
I believe it was already won but yesterday’s event eliminates any doubt.
Hard to disagree.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » July 15th, 2024, 4:13 pm

J.D. Vance is not a conventional selection as he does not strengthen the ticket. He appeals to the MAGA hardliners but they all are voting for Trump already. Haley or Scott would have been better choices, tactically, for 2024.

My assumption is Trump was thinking* strategically. 2024 is in the bag so picking the youthful Vance gives him a leg up to carry the MAGA Movement forward in 2028.

*does Trump think? Any evidence available?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 15th, 2024, 5:26 pm

Very surprised, even with Vance being a known possibility.
OPK

Post by OPK » July 15th, 2024, 6:17 pm

Vance is close with Don Jr. I assume this is about loyalty given the last one was “disloyal” when the rubber hit the road.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » July 15th, 2024, 7:53 pm

OPK wrote:
July 15th, 2024, 6:17 pm
Vance is close with Don Jr. I assume this is about loyalty given the last one was “disloyal” when the rubber hit the road.
Vance is scary. He has had a very deep drink of the Kool-Aid and is completely morally bankrupt. Another charter member of the "kids, whatever this guy does or says, do the opposite" club.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 23rd, 2024, 7:08 pm

Anyone else think the race might be interesting again? There seems to be a lot of excitement building around VP Harris. MAGAworld is all upset for various ridiculous reasons, which makes me happy.

And can we please talk about the bizarre ear bandages at the RNC? Bunch of crazy cult members.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OPK

Post by OPK » July 23rd, 2024, 7:14 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
July 23rd, 2024, 7:08 pm
Anyone else think the race might be interesting again? There seems to be a lot of excitement building around VP Harris. MAGAworld is all upset for various ridiculous reasons, which makes me happy.

And can we please talk about the bizarre ear bandages at the RNC? Bunch of crazy cult members.
I think we certainly have a more interesting race with Kamala taking over for Biden. Biden was just a slow train wreck to a blowout I think.

The Electoral map still favors Trump, but at least both sides are fully engaged instead of just one. Gonna be an interesting sprint to the end.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 23rd, 2024, 8:26 pm

OPK wrote:
July 23rd, 2024, 7:14 pm
ArkieDukie wrote:
July 23rd, 2024, 7:08 pm

I think we certainly have a more interesting race with Kamala taking over for Biden. Biden was just a slow train wreck to a blowout I think.

The Electoral map still favors Trump, but at least both sides are fully engaged instead of just one. Gonna be an interesting sprint to the end.
Agreed. I want to see a debate. I think Kamala would chew Donnie up and spit him out. What’s the over-under on Trump coming up with some ridiculous excuse to weasel out of the debate?

Could Harris’s VP choice swing things more in her favor?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein