The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 26th, 2022, 2:58 pm

Here's an interesting article on GimmeMyGuns Greitens...who apparently had a very different view of things not so long ago.
What irritates people of both parties about Greitens is not that he has evolved from mainstream Democrat to mainstream Republican to ultra-MAGA warrior in less than a decade.

It’s that he viciously and sanctimoniously attacks others for taking the exact same positions that he recently held.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/grew-eric-gr ... 00117.html
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
dudog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by dudog » June 26th, 2022, 9:32 pm

Here's a piece from the former associate director for Duke University’s Center for Politics:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » June 26th, 2022, 10:58 pm

Hi guys. I am back. I haven’t posted for quite a while. Looking forward to discussing and learning from you all.
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » June 27th, 2022, 7:23 am

Furniture wrote:
June 26th, 2022, 10:58 pm
Hi guys. I am back. I haven’t posted for quite a while. Looking forward to discussing and learning from you all.
Pull up a chair!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 27th, 2022, 8:19 am

dudog wrote:
June 26th, 2022, 9:32 pm
Here's a piece from the former associate director for Duke University’s Center for Politics:

I hope he is right. I’ve seen articles comparing the current situation to one in which a dog catches a car it has been chasing. Hopefully the opportunistic dogs (Republicans) who manipulated people into voting for them will lose and lose badly.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 27th, 2022, 8:32 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
June 27th, 2022, 8:19 am
dudog wrote:

I hope he is right. I’ve seen articles comparing the current situation to one in which a dog catches a car it has been chasing. Hopefully the opportunistic dogs (Republicans) who manipulated people into voting for them will lose and lose badly.
There's evidence out there that the dog is pretty happy with his achievement.
A political shift is beginning to take hold across the U.S. as tens of thousands of suburban swing voters who helped fuel the Democratic Party's gains in recent years are becoming Republicans.

More than 1 million voters across 43 states have switched to the Republican Party over the last year, according to voter registration data analyzed by The Associated Press.

Over the last year, far more people are switching to the GOP across suburban counties from Denver to Atlanta and Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Republicans also gained ground in counties around medium-size cities such as Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; Raleigh, North Carolina; Augusta, Georgia; and Des Moines, Iowa.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/more-1-milli ... 17454.html
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 27th, 2022, 1:19 pm

Remember how the Jan 6 Committee put off any more hearings until July? Wellllll
The House Jan. 6 panel says it is calling a surprise hearing on Tuesday to present “recently obtained evidence."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/jan-6-panel- ... 36595.html

:think:

The hearing is expected to include live witness testimony. While I am doubtful, could it be possible that they have agreed to have Mo Brooks testify? He stipulated that he would do it, but only in front of the live panel.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 27th, 2022, 2:17 pm

This could also be their target. It would be quite the display, especially since Ivanka's interview contradicts her testimony to the committee.
The new scheduling comes after British documentary filmmaker Alex Holder, who had substantial access to then-President Donald Trump, his family and closest aides around the Jan. 6 attack, sat for an interview with the committee behind-closed-doors last week and handed over footage which includes interviews with Trump, Donald Trump Jr., Ivanka Trump, Eric Trump, son-in-law Jared Kushner and Vice President Mike Pence.
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/jan-6-committ ... 00139.html
dudog

Post by dudog » June 27th, 2022, 3:32 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
June 27th, 2022, 8:32 am
ArkieDukie wrote:
June 27th, 2022, 8:19 am
dudog wrote:

There's evidence out there that the dog is pretty happy with his achievement.
A political shift is beginning to take hold across the U.S. as tens of thousands of suburban swing voters who helped fuel the Democratic Party's gains in recent years are becoming Republicans.

More than 1 million voters across 43 states have switched to the Republican Party over the last year, according to voter registration data analyzed by The Associated Press.

Over the last year, far more people are switching to the GOP across suburban counties from Denver to Atlanta and Pittsburgh and Cleveland. Republicans also gained ground in counties around medium-size cities such as Harrisburg, Pennsylvania; Raleigh, North Carolina; Augusta, Georgia; and Des Moines, Iowa.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/more-1-milli ... 17454.html
That does not jibe with this NPR polling:

https://twitter.com/dellavolpe/status/1 ... 4954710017

Regardless, I believe this ruling is a wake-up call. I've heard and read that a lot of women were surprised by the decision. In other words, despite all the warning signs, most people thought the court would never completely throw out Roe.

If this doesn't show the people who don't vote (especially mostly young people) under the argument that the 2 parties are the same...well then, they'll get the country they deserve. Ds are far from perfect, but the Rs have lost it.

As a prominent Republican (who would be a crazy liberal in today's party) once said, "It's morning in America". Time to wake up.
OPK

Post by OPK » June 27th, 2022, 8:08 pm

FWIW, in Georgia, we don’t register with parties. I for instance voted in the Democratic primary in 2020 to vote for Biden over Bernie, and then in the Republican in 2022 to vote against Trump’s candidates (Perdue and Hice). So folks like me — and apparently there were a lot of us — are counted as party-switchers when in fact it is simply a matter of choosing which primary has more important races. I would bet that Trump’s candidates got trounced here in some fair amount by a significant number of people electing to vote in that primary to defeat them — and who will then vote Democratic in the fall.

Having said that, the Dems are likely to get pasted this midterm cycle for lots of reasons. The Dobbs decision might help them some but I’m guessing that most folks who have pro/anti-abortion as an extremely highly important issue to them are already party-loyal.
Last edited by OPK on June 27th, 2022, 8:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
OPK

Post by OPK » June 27th, 2022, 8:10 pm

June 27th, 2022, 1:19 pm
Remember how the Jan 6 Committee put off any more hearings until July? Wellllll
The House Jan. 6 panel says it is calling a surprise hearing on Tuesday to present “recently obtained evidence."
https://www.yahoo.com/news/jan-6-panel- ... 36595.html

:think:

The hearing is expected to include live witness testimony. While I am doubtful, could it be possible that they have agreed to have Mo Brooks testify? He stipulated that he would do it, but only in front of the live panel.
Never call a witness when you don’t know what they will say. I would not call him without deposing him first.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 27th, 2022, 9:08 pm

OPK wrote:
June 27th, 2022, 8:10 pm
Never call a witness when you don’t know what they will say. I would not call him without deposing him first.
I've heard multiple pundits say the exact same thing, so I doubt it will be Brooks.

Side note...it's a bad night to be John Eastman's phone. (And John Eastman.)
Furniture

Post by Furniture » June 27th, 2022, 11:48 pm

One strong rumor out there is that the witness is Cassidy Hutchinson.

New via Punchbowl News: Cassidy Hutchinson — top former aide to Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows — expected to be tomorrow secret Jan. 6 committee witness

https://mobile.twitter.com/jeanvas5/sta ... 1057964032

We saw snippets of her naming people who wanted pardons. According the the one and only source of truth (Twitter) she maybe being threatened.
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
OPK

Post by OPK » June 28th, 2022, 7:23 am

Furniture wrote:
June 27th, 2022, 11:48 pm

New via Punchbowl News: Cassidy Hutchinson — top former aide to Trump White House chief of staff Mark Meadows — expected to be tomorrow secret Jan. 6 committee witness

We saw snippets of her naming people who wanted pardons. According the the one and only source of truth (Twitter) she maybe being threatened.
She also recently switched lawyers. Her former lawyer was (not kidding) Trump’s chief ethics lawyer with ties to Trumpworld; her new lawyer represented Jeff Sessions after he resigned.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 28th, 2022, 9:04 am

OPK wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 7:23 am
Furniture wrote:
June 27th, 2022, 11:48 pm

She also recently switched lawyers. Her former lawyer was (not kidding) Trump’s chief ethics lawyer with ties to Trumpworld; her new lawyer represented Jeff Sessions after he resigned.
I wish Disney were in charge of leak control for Washington. We'd have no idea who was "making the cameo" until the committee took their seats.
dudog

Post by dudog » June 28th, 2022, 12:19 pm

OPK wrote:
June 27th, 2022, 8:08 pm

FWIW, in Georgia, we don’t register with parties. I for instance voted in the Democratic primary in 2020 to vote for Biden over Bernie, and then in the Republican in 2022 to vote against Trump’s candidates (Perdue and Hice). So folks like me — and apparently there were a lot of us — are counted as party-switchers when in fact it is simply a matter of choosing which primary has more important races. I would bet that Trump’s candidates got trounced here in some fair amount by a significant number of people electing to vote in that primary to defeat them — and who will then vote Democratic in the fall.

Having said that, the Dems are likely to get pasted this midterm cycle for lots of reasons. The Dobbs decision might help them some but I’m guessing that most folks who have pro/anti-abortion as an extremely highly important issue to them are already party-loyal.
Very true, but the question is motivation. Ds, especially the youngsters, are notorious for skipping midterms and state races. I think they've just gotten the biggest effing civics lesson of their lives.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 28th, 2022, 2:12 pm

So Trump assaulted a Secret Service office. Tsk tsk... :-$

Trump immediately released a "I hardly knew her and she sucks" statement.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » June 28th, 2022, 3:04 pm

You can't possibly have watched Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony and have any doubts about who Trump is, or what he has done. Granted, there is no defense being presented at these hearings, but it would take a lot at this point to dispel the notion that Trump is a mob boss who was wielding the full power of the Presidency and made every effort to conspire to overthrow an election, risking bodily harm to others to achieve his own ends. The pressure on the DoJ at this point to bring charges is pretty intense, I would think.

Of course, the other big question is the same as it was before: Is there anyone in Trump World who bothered to look?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 28th, 2022, 3:15 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 3:04 pm
but it would take a lot at this point to dispel the notion that Trump is a mob boss
I think closing reveal about witness tampering further cemented this fact. That was smart to hold it to the end, and to then ask those same witnesses if they've since had further recollections or found new courage to please stand up.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » June 28th, 2022, 4:08 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
June 28th, 2022, 3:04 pm
You can't possibly have watched Cassidy Hutchinson's testimony and have any doubts about who Trump is, or what he has done. Granted, there is no defense being presented at these hearings, but it would take a lot at this point to dispel the notion that Trump is a mob boss who was wielding the full power of the Presidency and made every effort to conspire to overthrow an election, risking bodily harm to others to achieve his own ends. The pressure on the DoJ at this point to bring charges is pretty intense, I would think.

Of course, the other big question is the same as it was before: Is there anyone in Trump World who bothered to look?
I am still waiting (and have been waiting for a long time) for the Republicans to finally say "this guy is a disaster. We can get what we need without all of his drama. Let's let him sink alone and move on." But unfortunately, the masses have had a deep drink of the Kool Aid and believe Trump that this is all a big conspiracy against him and that he did nothing wrong. I wish anyone who still truly believes there is nothing wrong with his behavior was declared ineligible to vote due to insanity.

It really is mafia like activity. He has watched too many mafia movies. And no one has ever said no to him. He lives in his own crazy little world.

I also continue to wonder why none of his followers ask the question that if all of these people who once worked for him and then turned on him are such bad people, doesn't that say something about his lack of ability to hire good people. Most leaders are judged by the people they put around them. He clearly does not do that very well with all of his turnover.

Bravo to Hutchinson for speaking up. Who knows what her future now holds. And again, as much as I despise her politics, kudos to Cheney for clearly doing a ton of work on this. I wish more Republicans realized that, as she said, loyalty to country comes above loyalty to false idol.