The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 23rd, 2022, 12:14 pm

Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis takes 39% in a poll of the Republican presidential primary in New Hampshire, while Trump is at 37%. No other potential GOP contender manages double-digit support, with former Vice President Mike Pence in third place at 9%.
As the hearings continue on through the Summer, I'm betting those numbers widen.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/22/politics ... index.html
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 23rd, 2022, 6:10 pm

Today was potent.
Also, a really bad day to be Jeffrey Clark.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » June 23rd, 2022, 6:14 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
June 23rd, 2022, 6:10 pm
Also, a really bad day to be Jeffrey Clark.
Yeah, when getting exposed on national television is not the worst part of your day . . . .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 23rd, 2022, 6:15 pm

Here's a thought per DeSantis vs Trump.
It's politics. It's going to get dirty. We know Trump will stoop to unimaginable lows to win. I'm guessing that when push comes to shove, ALL of the Great Lie that he has pushed non stop is going to be slapped in his face not by a congressional committee, but by Ron DeSantis.

If during the primary season every ad he runs isn't holding the actual facts of Trump's coup attempt over his head, I'll be amazed.
OPK

Post by OPK » June 23rd, 2022, 6:20 pm

June 23rd, 2022, 6:15 pm
It's politics. It's going to get dirty. We know Trump will stoop to unimaginable lows to win. I'm guessing that when push comes to shove, ALL of the Great Lie that he has pushed non stop is going to be slapped in his face not by a congressional committee, but by Ron DeSantis.

If during the primary season every ad he runs isn't holding the actual facts of Trump's coup attempt over his head, I'll be amazed.
Someone will run against Trump and hammer him on it. Not sure if DeSantis would take DT on directly. He’s young so he has time, and running an election with DT sniping at you from the right can’t be a recipe for winning.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 23rd, 2022, 6:25 pm

OPK wrote:
June 23rd, 2022, 6:20 pm

Someone will run against Trump and hammer him on it. Not sure if DeSantis would take DT on directly. He’s young so he has time, and running an election with DT sniping at you from the right can’t be a recipe for winning.
Ultimately, those two are gonna be the last two standing on the GOP side I think. So it will happen.
Of course, DT might actually be a non factor if he's facing charges, which is looking more likely. :violin:
OPK

Post by OPK » June 23rd, 2022, 6:38 pm

June 23rd, 2022, 6:25 pm
OPK wrote:

Ultimately, those two are gonna be the last two standing on the GOP side I think. So it will happen.
Of course, DT might actually be a non factor if he's facing charges, which is looking more likely. :violin:
The raid on Clark’s home is really bad news if you are in Mar-a-Lago. In many ways, that’s more significant than anything the hearings exposed today — and THAT was a shitload as is.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 23rd, 2022, 6:50 pm

OPK wrote:
June 23rd, 2022, 6:38 pm
June 23rd, 2022, 6:25 pm
OPK wrote:

The raid on Clark’s home is really bad news if you are in Mar-a-Lago. In many ways, that’s more significant than anything the hearings exposed today — and THAT was a shitload as is.
Someone upthread linked an article by Neal Katyal. He was on TV after the hearings, and his guess is that the DOJ is looking into a crime of conspiracy.
Of course, by definition, a conspiracy requires more than one participant.
dudog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by dudog » June 23rd, 2022, 7:05 pm

These people all deserve each other. I believe this is just the start. These hearing are going to go up to the election! :happy-bouncyblue:

"Trump loyalist Mo Brooks — spurned by Trump and reeling from a Senate primary loss — now says he'll testify about the Capitol riot if subpoenaed"

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

Edit: And Rep. Mike Kelly (R-PA), who Ron Johnson has accused of giving him the fake slate of electors (hold it, didn't he say 2 days ago he knew nothing about it?), denies it. They're all gonna tear each other to shreds trying to save themselves.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » June 24th, 2022, 10:49 am

Republicans are the big winners again! They have owned the libs. Can't wait for them to open up their wallets to pay for the needs of the kids born with horrible medical conditions. Oh wait, they don't really care whether other people get health care either.

I really wish that our society could learn the art of compromise. Republican leadership insists on taking things to extremes. They identify a few rare Democrats who are extremists in the opposite direction and brainwash Republicans into thinking that all Democrats want those positions, while most Democrats are actually willing to work on a compromise if it is done in good faith (which it would not be).

So angry. And so glad I live in a blue state. I'm going to a family wedding in Texas this weekend. I will likely be primarily be surrounded by likeminded people but it will still be interesting to see how the other half lives. I am debating bringing my passport in case they choose to secede while I am there.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 24th, 2022, 2:05 pm

Will voters remember today in five months? I have my doubts.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » June 24th, 2022, 2:11 pm

June 24th, 2022, 2:05 pm
Nope. Because they are paying more for gas and that is all the Democrats fault.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 24th, 2022, 2:43 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 2:11 pm
Nope. Because they are paying more for gas and that is all the Democrats fault.
That's pretty much my line of thinking, too. Lifetime lasting decisions are always outweighed by immediate wallet impacting concerns.

That's the reason that Obamacare is still alive today. For now, at least.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » June 24th, 2022, 2:49 pm

I think it depends on what you mean. I don't think Trump is truly electable at this point. Most Republicans will still slavishly vote for the guy, but he has zero traction outside the confines of the core party. The problem is, the center doesn't translate the lesson to the non-Trump Republicans. I've heard many folks say they hate Trump (finally), but they are still ready to elect DeSantis.

Generalizing is hard for voters, apparently.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 24th, 2022, 3:05 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 2:49 pm
I think it depends on what you mean. I don't think Trump is truly electable at this point. Most Republicans will still slavishly vote for the guy, but he has zero traction outside the confines of the core party. The problem is, the center doesn't translate the lesson to the non-Trump Republicans. I've heard many folks say they hate Trump (finally), but they are still ready to elect DeSantis.

You are talking about the general POTUS election. I'm talking about the mid-terms. (Which are more important right now.)
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » June 24th, 2022, 3:25 pm

June 24th, 2022, 3:05 pm
Phredd3 wrote:

You are talking about the general POTUS election. I'm talking about the mid-terms. (Which are more important right now.)
Sorry, I should have carried the conclusion through. The "this is about Trump" will apply in five months, as well as in 2024. Voters will remember this stuff in five months, but they will associate it entirely with one guy. OK, three guys: Eastman and Rudy, too. The Reps asking for pardons won't be part of the equation, nor will the party that almost pulled off an outright coup get tainted as a whole. But I do think a majority of people are going to want to see Trump prosecuted. As much as I think that's a good thing, I also think it is wildly short-sighted, and I remain very fearful that we completely lose our democracy.
dudog

Post by dudog » June 24th, 2022, 3:42 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 3:25 pm
June 24th, 2022, 3:05 pm
Phredd3 wrote:

Sorry, I should have carried the conclusion through. The "this is about Trump" will apply in five months, as well as in 2024. Voters will remember this stuff in five months, but they will associate it entirely with one guy. OK, three guys: Eastman and Rudy, too. The Reps asking for pardons won't be part of the equation, nor will the party that almost pulled off an outright coup get tainted as a whole. But I do think a majority of people are going to want to see Trump prosecuted. As much as I think that's a good thing, I also think it is wildly short-sighted, and I remain very fearful that we completely lose our democracy.
Phredd3, the topic of the day is abortion.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » June 24th, 2022, 4:23 pm

dudog wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 3:42 pm
Sorry, the leaked opinion was so obviously genuine, I did not regard that publication as news, devastating as it was. As far as I was concerned, the news event was the hearings. Forgive me if I misunderstood.
acymetric
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by acymetric » June 24th, 2022, 4:26 pm

Is there a consensus on how many seats Dems need to flip to be able to get things done on these issues, and will voters find that argument convincing with respect to the fact that they are seemingly unable to do anything now?
dudog

Post by dudog » June 24th, 2022, 4:55 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 4:23 pm
dudog wrote:
June 24th, 2022, 3:42 pm
Sorry, the leaked opinion was so obviously genuine, I did not regard that publication as news, devastating as it was. As far as I was concerned, the news event was the hearings. Forgive me if I misunderstood.
No forgiveness necessary, it was just obvious the conversations were diverging.