Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

dudog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by dudog » January 25th, 2022, 7:04 pm

Wow. Guess I'm a "scumbag".
Honored to have Marjorie’s endorsement. We’re going to win this thing and take the country back from the scumbags.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

This is what the discourse, political and otherwise, has come to in this country. Thank you Dear Leader.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » January 25th, 2022, 10:18 pm

Yeah, glad I live in Georgia. The epicenter of crazy.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » January 25th, 2022, 11:43 pm

dudog wrote:
January 25th, 2022, 7:04 pm
Wow. Guess I'm a "scumbag".
Honored to have Marjorie’s endorsement. We’re going to win this thing and take the country back from the scumbags.

This is what the discourse, political and otherwise, has come to in this country. Thank you Dear Leader.
I am hoping that in the Ohio race and some others that the Republicans will all be tripping over each other to see who can go furthest to the right to kiss the ring of Trump. If the furthest right candidates win, that could open the door for moderate Democrats to have a chance. Tim Ryan is running for the Ohio Senate seat - I vaguely recall his few minutes in the last presidential campaign and actually thinking he was a pretty good, centrist candidate who could appeal to working class voters. He just didn't have enough polish or name recognition to get anywhere in the presidential race, but hopefully he can do better in Ohio.

Wisconsin and PA will also be really interesting.
dudog

Post by dudog » January 28th, 2022, 12:15 pm

I don't want anyone saying their state is the most screwed up. That distinction goes to Florida. Confirmation hearings are now ongoing for Mini-Me's choice for Surgeon General, and the proposed top health officer in the state refuses to say vaccines work. Not just COVID, the question was put to him later in a generic way.

:o)
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » January 28th, 2022, 12:48 pm

dudog wrote:
January 28th, 2022, 12:15 pm
I don't want anyone saying their state is the most screwed up. That distinction goes to Florida. Confirmation hearings are now ongoing for Mini-Me's choice for Surgeon General, and the proposed top health officer in the state refuses to say vaccines work. Not just COVID, the question was put to him later in a generic way.

:o)
Gawd. I saw a replay of some of that hearing yesterday. Just ridiculous. What have we come to? Why does the electorate not want to enforce a standard of behavior in their officials? Most people wouldn't accept that kind of evasion from their 3-year-old.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 29th, 2022, 6:58 am

MO is crazy too. Here, our Attorney General sues any city, county or school district that tries to institute a mask mandate. He has even said that public health departments do not have the authority to do that, only he does. If you guessed that he is running for the Senate seat being vacated by Roy Blunt, you may step to the head of the class. Oh, and our Governor got caught burying a report that proved the effectiveness of said mandates.

I read in an article yesterday that several (Republican) state legislatures have passed laws making it illegal for state medical boards to discipline doctors who prescribe hydroxychloroquine or ivermectin for Covid. Because republican legislators know so much more about medicine than the CDC, NIH and FDA do, with all the time that has been spent studying the effectiveness of HCQ and ivermectin (no convincing evidence either way). This seems like an incredibly slippery slope to me. Would be very interested in hearing what others think.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » January 29th, 2022, 9:28 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 6:58 am
MO is crazy too. Here, our Attorney General sues any city, county or school district that tries to institute a mask mandate. He has even said that public health departments do not have the authority to do that, only he does. If you guessed that he is running for the Senate seat being vacated by Roy Blunt, you may step to the head of the class. Oh, and our Governor got caught burying a report that proved the effectiveness of said mandates.

I read in an article yesterday that several (Republican) state legislatures have passed laws making it illegal for state medical boards to discipline doctors who prescribe hydroxychloroquine or ivermectin for Covid. Because republican legislators know so much more about medicine than the CDC, NIH and FDA do, with all the time that has been spent studying the effectiveness of HCQ and ivermectin (no convincing evidence either way). This seems like an incredibly slippery slope to me. Would be very interested in hearing what others think.
These people have made it their sole mission in life to be contrarian to Democrats. Soon they might start arguing that the sun rises in the west and that gravity is fake. And people will go along with them. They are not for anything - they are just against something. A very tiny part of me gets this for those who have absolutely nothing and the system doesn't work for them - it is still nuts, but as they say, if you ain't got nothing, you ain't got nothing to lose. But for all of these power hungry politicians who will sacrifice their morals and rational thinking to cater to these people, they are really the worst of the worst.

It has gotten to the point of being totally irrational. I cannot even imagine beginning a conversation with people who live in this alternate reality. My very simple litmus test is that anyone who still believes the 2020 election was "stolen" is living in crazy land. I am still waiting for the first basic piece of proof on this. The only small proof I have seen is that the majority of the very few instances of cheating were Republicans cheating.

This is not going to end well.
dudog

Post by dudog » January 29th, 2022, 11:29 am

Ok, Arizona is trying. But since it's only proposed and not official (like Florida's Surgeon General) I say Florida still has the edge. At the moment.
Arizona Republicans have introduced a bill that would impose significant new voting restrictions and allow the state legislature to reject election results.

The measure would require the state legislature to convene after primary and general elections to review the ballot counting process and “shall accept or reject the election results”.

The proposal does not require lawmakers to find evidence of fraud or lay out any factors they would have to consider in order to overturn an election.
OPK

Post by OPK » January 29th, 2022, 1:13 pm

dudog wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 11:29 am
Ok, Arizona is trying. But since it's only proposed and not official (like Florida's Surgeon General) I say Florida still has the edge. At the moment.
Arizona Republicans have introduced a bill that would impose significant new voting restrictions and allow the state legislature to reject election results.

The measure would require the state legislature to convene after primary and general elections to review the ballot counting process and “shall accept or reject the election results”.

The proposal does not require lawmakers to find evidence of fraud or lay out any factors they would have to consider in order to overturn an election.
I am confident that any law purporting to allow the legislature to overturn an election, without any criteria, would be found facially unconstitutional.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » January 29th, 2022, 6:01 pm

OPK wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 1:13 pm
dudog wrote:

I am confident that any law purporting to allow the legislature to overturn an election, without any criteria, would be found facially unconstitutional.
Even with the current supreme court? I will defer to your legal expertise, but I have zero faith in them. Maybe they make some kind of states rights argument or something?

If there are laws that the Dems want to challenge, they need to do so sooner rather than later, because it seems like the courts are a lot more willing to shoot down laws the further in advance of the election that it hits their docket.
OPK

Post by OPK » January 29th, 2022, 6:20 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 6:01 pm
OPK wrote:
dudog wrote:

Even with the current supreme court? I will defer to your legal expertise, but I have zero faith in them. Maybe they make some kind of states rights argument or something?

If there are laws that the Dems want to challenge, they need to do so sooner rather than later, because it seems like the courts are a lot more willing to shoot down laws the further in advance of the election that it hits their docket.
The current court has shot down Trump’s bullshit efforts to steal the election and to stonewall discovery. I do believe that they are dedicated to the rule of law, my political disagreements with them aside.

The Fourteenth Amendment trumps state law. That requires due process (standards) and not disenfranchising minority votes. One man, one vote is pretty ingrained in lawyers of all political ilks. A law saying that a vote can be overturned by anyone is gonna be hard to clear, let alone one that lets folks do it for any subjective partisan reason.

The courts were a big backstop against the Trump efforts last time, and I am confident that they will work to ensure that whoever gets the most legally-cast votes win the electoral college representatives they are due.

But I understand the apprehension, judges are often portrayed in the media in political terms when in reality the political leanings are usually not party-based (they are philosophically-based).

JMHO. I hope I am correct.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » February 1st, 2022, 11:20 am

OPK wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 6:20 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
January 29th, 2022, 6:01 pm
OPK wrote:

The current court has shot down Trump’s bullshit efforts to steal the election and to stonewall discovery. I do believe that they are dedicated to the rule of law, my political disagreements with them aside.

The Fourteenth Amendment trumps state law. That requires due process (standards) and not disenfranchising minority votes. One man, one vote is pretty ingrained in lawyers of all political ilks. A law saying that a vote can be overturned by anyone is gonna be hard to clear, let alone one that lets folks do it for any subjective partisan reason.

The courts were a big backstop against the Trump efforts last time, and I am confident that they will work to ensure that whoever gets the most legally-cast votes win the electoral college representatives they are due.

But I understand the apprehension, judges are often portrayed in the media in political terms when in reality the political leanings are usually not party-based (they are philosophically-based).

JMHO. I hope I am correct.
So do I. The language used in some earlier cases does not make me optimistic on this score, but I certainly think the Fourteenth Amendment should control in a situation like this. But the language is just different enough from Article II, Section 1, that I can see a sliver of daylight there if a literalist Court wants to head that direction. Arizona (and others) seems determined to make us find out.
dudog

Post by dudog » February 1st, 2022, 11:37 pm

Trump calls Lindsey a RINO :))

When are these idiots going to realize Loyalty Street only goes one-way in Trumpland?
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » February 3rd, 2022, 6:30 pm

I don't read CNN as much as I used to but this is an interesting article about Trump endorsing candidates. There is a part of me that thinks that in some more purple areas, the optimal situation is for Trump-endorsed extreme right candidates to win the Republican primaries as the few remaining people in America who are on the fence might be scared off by them and vote Democrat. Or is it better to have a more mainstream Republican (everything is relative) win the primary and then maybe some of the really hard core Trumpers won't bother to show up. I think each situation is a little different.

It amazes me that esteemed Duke alum Greitens in Missouri is a leader given all of his baggage. Him and Hawley would really be a classy delegation - tons of fancy academic degrees yet primarily supported by the trashiest, least educated voters who swear of the elite.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/03/politics ... 8YzN9wqb6M
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 4th, 2022, 8:40 pm

Whew!
The North Carolina Supreme Court has struck down new voting maps in the state.
The court made the decision in a 4-to-3 vote.
Voting rights groups challenged that the Republican favored maps, which passed in November, saying they violated residents’ rights under the state constitution.
https://www.witn.com/2022/02/04/new-nc- ... ruck-down/
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 6th, 2022, 8:50 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
February 3rd, 2022, 6:30 pm
I don't read CNN as much as I used to but this is an interesting article about Trump endorsing candidates. There is a part of me that thinks that in some more purple areas, the optimal situation is for Trump-endorsed extreme right candidates to win the Republican primaries as the few remaining people in America who are on the fence might be scared off by them and vote Democrat. Or is it better to have a more mainstream Republican (everything is relative) win the primary and then maybe some of the really hard core Trumpers won't bother to show up. I think each situation is a little different.

It amazes me that esteemed Duke alum Greitens in Missouri is a leader given all of his baggage. Him and Hawley would really be a classy delegation - tons of fancy academic degrees yet primarily supported by the trashiest, least educated voters who swear of the elite.

MO voter here. Trust me when I say there are NO good choices in the Republican primary. I used to think Greitens was far and away the worst candidate, and AG Eric Schmitt might be the best, until he started showing his true colors. Our current Attorney General is Greitens’ closest competition, and he has been suing anyone and everyone who dares to institute a mask mandate. He is using state funds to file politically motivated lawsuits, in an effort to get a Trump endorsement and/or appeal to Retrumplican voters. After all this, I see Schmitt as Hawley 2.0. The idea of him in the US Senate scares me. Hopefully whoever wins the primary will lose in the general election.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » February 6th, 2022, 10:23 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
February 6th, 2022, 8:50 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

MO voter here. Trust me when I say there are NO good choices in the Republican primary. I used to think Greitens was far and away the worst candidate, and AG Eric Schmitt might be the best, until he started showing his true colors. Our current Attorney General is Greitens’ closest competition, and he has been suing anyone and everyone who dares to institute a mask mandate. He is using state funds to file politically motivated lawsuits, in an effort to get a Trump endorsement and/or appeal to Retrumplican voters. After all this, I see Schmitt as Hawley 2.0. The idea of him in the US Senate scares me. Hopefully whoever wins the primary will lose in the general election.
Thanks for the update. I have not been following closely - are there any decent D candidates? My personal moderate bias is that someone closer to the middle who can win over disgruntled Republicans is the best bet, but others might feel differently and I don't know the political landscape out there as well.
dudog

Post by dudog » February 6th, 2022, 10:38 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
February 6th, 2022, 10:23 am
ArkieDukie wrote:
February 6th, 2022, 8:50 am
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

Thanks for the update. I have not been following closely - are there any decent D candidates? My personal moderate bias is that someone closer to the middle who can win over disgruntled Republicans is the best bet, but others might feel differently and I don't know the political landscape out there as well.
Yeah, what are D chances in Missouri? That state seems to have gotten really red over the last decade, what's going on? Did Obama's election suddenly bring back memories of the Missouri compromise?

Here in Florida, I'm really hoping Demings can beat Rubio. He's such a little weenie.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » February 6th, 2022, 2:25 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
February 4th, 2022, 8:40 pm
Whew!
The North Carolina Supreme Court has struck down new voting maps in the state.
The court made the decision in a 4-to-3 vote.
Voting rights groups challenged that the Republican favored maps, which passed in November, saying they violated residents’ rights under the state constitution.
https://www.witn.com/2022/02/04/new-nc- ... ruck-down/
*Whew!* is right. 4-3 decision, with full decision rationale to follow in order to keep to the normal election schedule. A vigorous dissent accompanies the order, the main purpose of which is to deride the order for lack of reasoning. Of course, the order itself says the decision - presumably with full rationale therein - will be forthcoming later. That's a very narrow escape, and I'll be interested to see what kind of maps are actually submitted by Feb. 18th.
dudog

Post by dudog » February 8th, 2022, 1:21 pm

LOL! Kevin McCarthy "said RNC Chairwoman Ronna McDaniel's comments accusing Kinzinger and Cheney of persecuting "legitimate political discourse" by serving on the House Select Committee probing January was referred to RNC members "who were in Florida" on January 6, 2021 and had been subpoenaed by the committee."

Yup. We only elect the best and brightest to represent us here in the good ol' USofA.