LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 7:54 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote: Buying local is the only way to get things done in St. Louis. Your neighbors all know when you buy local... and when you don't. :D
Good to know. My boss and his wife know everyone, so I can always ask for advice on where to get stuff. I think they know the chef at every restaurant in town. Makes for some good meals. They can even get stuff that's not on the menu.
That's normal. It's a highly provincial city. And you're perfectly in the norm to ask at local restaurants for something that is not on the menu (assuming that they have the ingredients and the skillset). We did that a bit on the Hill.

I also used to live in Dogtown. That takes provincial to a WHOLE 'nother level.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 7:57 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
devildeac wrote:Somebody's gotta wake up BONES so we can see a magnificent race to #1000...
Hey, what am I, chopped liver? :roll:
Umm, I DID bring back to page 1 the Jewish Soul Food thread. :oops:

Talk about stealth posting!!

Arkie: In unincorporated Creve Coeur: Jewish Deli/Food Store: Kohn's. You can't get there with public transport, BUT you can find some of their specialty items in either Dierberg's or Schnuck's (I can't remember which one or both).
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 15th, 2009, 7:59 am

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote: Buying local is the only way to get things done in St. Louis. Your neighbors all know when you buy local... and when you don't. :D
Good to know. My boss and his wife know everyone, so I can always ask for advice on where to get stuff. I think they know the chef at every restaurant in town. Makes for some good meals. They can even get stuff that's not on the menu.
That's normal. It's a highly provincial city. And you're perfectly in the norm to ask at local restaurants for something that is not on the menu (assuming that they have the ingredients and the skillset). We did that a bit on the Hill.

I also used to live in Dogtown. That takes provincial to a WHOLE 'nother level.
Earlier this summer I went out with them and one of our sales reps to a local restaurant. We walked in, the hostess and servers greeted them by name (not an unusual occurrence), and the chef then proceeded to come up with a customized menu for our meal. We didn't order anything; the courses would just magically appear, accompanied by a wine chosen to complement the food. It was a pretty amazing meal.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 15th, 2009, 8:06 am

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
devildeac wrote:Somebody's gotta wake up BONES so we can see a magnificent race to #1000...
Hey, what am I, chopped liver? :roll:
Umm, I DID bring back to page 1 the Jewish Soul Food thread. :oops:

Talk about stealth posting!!

Arkie: In unincorporated Creve Coeur: Jewish Deli/Food Store: Kohn's. You can't get there with public transport, BUT you can find some of their specialty items in either Dierberg's or Schnuck's (I can't remember which one or both).
I'm going to be in Creve Coeur from 10:30-12:30 for the camera class. Maybe I can check it out. Any recommendations?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 15th, 2009, 8:27 am

This will teach me to try and sleep in.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 8:28 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Arkie: In unincorporated Creve Coeur: Jewish Deli/Food Store: Kohn's. You can't get there with public transport, BUT you can find some of their specialty items in either Dierberg's or Schnuck's (I can't remember which one or both).
I'm going to be in Creve Coeur from 10:30-12:30 for the camera class. Maybe I can check it out. Any recommendations?
The knishes are great... and a bit different from east coast knishes. I'm normally not a meat knish fan, but I like theirs (I also like their potato knish). The deli will definitely be good for take out. IIRC, good pickles. I believe you can get some pastrami and corned beef there. I do NOT know their hours (if any) on Saturday. Definitely look up for their hours and for directions (it's a little off Olive on the way to the Jewish Center).

What I WILL suggest you do is go to the Bagel Factory (on Olive) and also the Jewish sit down place, PUMPERNICKLE'S (also on Olive). In fact, Pump's has not only some of the best matzah brei (scrambled eggs and matzah) and OTHER Jewish soul food, but it also has a mini-deli. If you're into scrambled eggs and salami (or pastrami or corned beef), you'll have hit paradise. Good latkes, brisket, and whatever. I don't know about their matzah ball soup. I expect a report on the Jewish Soul Food thread.

The Bagel Factory is a small bagel shop, but some of the best bagels you'll find in St. Louis. As today is Saturday, you must get the requisite fresh tomatoes from the UCity Loop Market, and put some on a Bagel Factory bagel with some cream cheese.

Pump's has a web site. They changed owners last October, but the quality is still good. They're also located on Olive.

:-bd :-bd
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 15th, 2009, 8:36 am

YmoBeThere wrote:This will teach me to try and sleep in.
Good morning, Ymo! You've got some catching up to do. :oops: :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 15th, 2009, 8:37 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:This will teach me to try and sleep in.
Good morning, Ymo! You've got some catching up to do. :oops: :ymdevil:
Although, not as much catching up as after the Great ArkieDuke Insomnia PostFest of 2 days ago.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 15th, 2009, 8:37 am

I've admitted defeat already.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 15th, 2009, 8:39 am

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:Arkie: In unincorporated Creve Coeur: Jewish Deli/Food Store: Kohn's. You can't get there with public transport, BUT you can find some of their specialty items in either Dierberg's or Schnuck's (I can't remember which one or both).
The knishes are great... and a bit different from east coast knishes. I'm normally not a meat knish fan, but I like theirs (I also like their potato knish). The deli will definitely be good for take out. IIRC, good pickles. I believe you can get some pastrami and corned beef there. I do NOT know their hours (if any) on Saturday. Definitely look up for their hours and for directions (it's a little off Olive on the way to the Jewish Center).

What I WILL suggest you do is go to the Bagel Factory (on Olive) and also the Jewish sit down place, PUMPERNICKLE'S (also on Olive). In fact, Pump's has not only some of the best matzah brei (scrambled eggs and matzah) and OTHER Jewish soul food, but it also has a mini-deli. If you're into scrambled eggs and salami (or pastrami or corned beef), you'll have hit paradise. Good latkes, brisket, and whatever. I don't know about their matzah ball soup. I expect a report on the Jewish Soul Food thread.

The Bagel Factory is a small bagel shop, but some of the best bagels you'll find in St. Louis. As today is Saturday, you must get the requisite fresh tomatoes from the UCity Loop Market, and put some on a Bagel Factory bagel with some cream cheese.

Pump's has a web site. They changed owners last October, but the quality is still good. They're also located on Olive.

:-bd :-bd
Thanks for the recommendations, Lavabe! I'll have to see what I can find. Being from back in the hills, I haven't had much Jewish soul food. Read, any Jewish soul food. I'll pay a visit to one of these places for you and Sue.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 15th, 2009, 8:40 am

YmoBeThere wrote:I've admitted defeat already.
But you're one of the greats! Surely we can't have defeated one of the greats... :shock:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 15th, 2009, 8:43 am

Does anyone else think the :shock: smilie is a bit creepy? I think I like :o a little better. :ymdevil: is another favorite.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 15th, 2009, 8:48 am

I've finished my coffee and the dryer just beeped. That means it's time to go get to work. Company's coming and this place is not going to make itself presentable.

Vibes to Sue and family, Windsor, Ima, and anyone else who needs them!

Off to clean...
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 8:57 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Does anyone else think the :shock: smilie is a bit creepy? I think I like :o a little better. :ymdevil: is another favorite.
:shock: :? :o are creepy.

I would like some clarification on these smilies: :ymhiro: :ymbilly: o-+

Who are Hiro, Billy, and April?
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 15th, 2009, 9:14 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:Nah, I got a buncha work to do tomorrow AM and I just started reading Shogun...
Never read it but my parents always said it was great...and there it sat on the shelf after the proclomation of greatness. Probably got sold with the house and the spider that guarded it. But if it's actually good, I'll get sweetie pie to read it and she can then tell me the story.
It is indeed great. I read it in college and loved it. Took me several weeks amid school assignments, but I'd like to get around to more of Clavell's work someday... :roll:
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 15th, 2009, 9:17 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Lavabe, you're having a busy morning. Your name is on almost every thread on the front page. Very wilsonesque of you.
X( I resemble that remark. X(
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » August 15th, 2009, 9:18 am

I recommend The Remains of the Day. The movie was fine but the book was sublime.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 15th, 2009, 9:18 am

Lavabe wrote:6,000 is going down TODAY!!
And you're bearing down on 1000.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 15th, 2009, 9:22 am

ArkieDukie wrote: I posted about 50 pages ago that it's Sept. 19 but didn't want to go back and find the post. I had to google it again. :oops:

Hey, DinK, is that the day of the Duke-Kansas football game?
That is the day of the Kansas game.
What is the Forest Park Balloon Race? Are y'all really going? Sounds like a great place to play with my (still) new camera.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 15th, 2009, 9:24 am

Lavabe wrote: Thanks... we'll try to visit then. That only leaves trying to figure out when to attend a Brunchgate.
I vote for either Nov. 28 (Wake Forest) or Oct. 24 (the twerps). Those are looking like my two games this year.