Root for ME!!!! (To Beat Bones in Scrabble)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Root for ME!!!! (To Beat wilson in Scrabble)

Post by devildeac » August 14th, 2009, 11:40 pm

go BD
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 15th, 2009, 12:05 am

So, did you win?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 6:25 am

Bostondevil wrote:I can both feel sorry for you and want to beat you to a pulp, they aren't mutually exclusive. So, sorry about that, wilson. :ymdevil:
Let us know what happens to your player rating if/when you beat wilson. :-B
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 6:27 am

FWIW, I'm also in an endgame with wilson, and I'm awaiting his bingo in the only bingo-able spot on the board. @-)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 7:47 am

The endgame with Shamm will take forever. I thought I'd throw him off with one of the words I used, but it didn't affect him. So much for THAT strategy.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 15th, 2009, 8:13 am

This thread is almost as entertaining as the classic "Windsor's Daughter is Hot" thread. =)) =)) =))

So, how do I get in on this Scrabble madness? Sounds like fun!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » August 15th, 2009, 8:22 am

Lavabe wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:I can both feel sorry for you and want to beat you to a pulp, they aren't mutually exclusive. So, sorry about that, wilson. :ymdevil:
I've beaten him once. The fact that he's told me to kiss his ass 3 times should tell you how I'm doing in the current game, but I'm not going to talk about it. I have no idea what my player rating is, does it show us that somewhere?
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 15th, 2009, 8:23 am

ArkieDukie wrote:This thread is almost as entertaining as the classic "Windsor's Daughter is Hot" thread. =)) =)) =))

So, how do I get in on this Scrabble madness? Sounds like fun!
Challenge us on Facebook!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 8:37 am

Bostondevil wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
I've beaten him once. The fact that he's told me to kiss his ass 3 times should tell you how I'm doing in the current game, but I'm not going to talk about it. I have no idea what my player rating is, does it show us that somewhere?
Hit the graph button in the upper righthand corner. That's the stats button. It will give you your rating, your win-loss record, highest score for a game, and highest score for a word.

I just hit 1400. Wilson is at 1406. If he loses to you and I beat both Shamm and wilson, I think I move ahead of wilson. But that's a lot of ifs.

It looks as though DA may also have played Scrabble on Facebook. Is that so? She appears to be in 5th place in the CrazieTalk.Net rankings.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » August 15th, 2009, 8:40 am

OK, my Scrabble rating is abysmal. I've only won 7 of the 40 games I've played. But wilson and Lavabe? I have one friend that's rated higher than both of you. I just challenged him to a game. wilson is #2 and Lavabe is #3 in case you didn't already know who was rated higher. Shamm, you're only #6 among my friends. Blubones is up there, #5 maybe. Yes, I'm friends with a mod but he hasn't posted on DBR in I don't know how long. I'm 'friends' with throaty too. Blubones I know IRL. He absolutely trashed me in Diplomacy once, so bad that I realized I should never play that game again. I haven't.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 8:44 am

Bostondevil wrote:OK, my Scrabble rating is abysmal. I've only won 7 of the 40 games I've played. But wilson and Lavabe? I have one friend that's rated higher than both of you. I just challenged him to a game. wilson is #2 and Lavabe is #3 in case you didn't already know who was rated higher. Shamm, you're only #6 among my friends. Blubones is up there, #5 maybe. Yes, I'm friends with a mod but he hasn't posted on DBR in I don't know how long. I'm 'friends' with throaty too. Blubones I know IRL. He absolutely trashed me in Diplomacy once, so bad that I realized I should never play that game again. I haven't.
The ratings calculation is tough to figure out. I think you gain more points if you beat wilson (who has 1406) than if you beat me (at 1400). I think the scores of your games get figured into the calculation, as do forfeits, high scores, and other factors. I'll defer to wilson for clarification on this one. I tried looking for the calculation and couldn't find it.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 15th, 2009, 8:54 am

Lavabe wrote:FWIW, I'm also in an endgame with wilson, and I'm awaiting his bingo in the only bingo-able spot on the board. @-)
I wouldn't worry about that. I literally haven't had shit for letters in about 6 games now. Well on the way to losing them all.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 15th, 2009, 8:56 am

Lavabe wrote: The ratings calculation is tough to figure out. I think you gain more points if you beat wilson (who has 1406) than if you beat me (at 1400). I think the scores of your games get figured into the calculation, as do forfeits, high scores, and other factors. I'll defer to wilson for clarification on this one. I tried looking for the calculation and couldn't find it.
Frankly, I think the ratings calculation is a load of shit. I have a friend who's pretty good, but whom I beat about 5 out of 6 times we play. The last time he beat me, he went ahead of me by about 40 points (this didn't last long).
Lav, it won't bother me so much when you pass me (you're definitely about to), because you definitely play me pretty evenly, and I've hit a pretty serious losing skid here.
I never seem to lose games consistently. I'll win about 20 in a row, then lose several straight. Weird.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 15th, 2009, 9:03 am

wilson wrote:I never seem to lose games consistently. I'll win about 20 in a row, then lose several straight. Weird.
You losing several straight? I find THAT hard to believe. You're always a measured opponent. You force me not to take ANY turn for granted.

I agree about the ratings, but wonder what the dudes who have a 2200 rating must be like.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 15th, 2009, 9:06 am

Lavabe wrote: You losing several straight? I find THAT hard to believe. You're always a measured opponent. You force me not to take ANY turn for granted.

I agree about the ratings, but wonder what the dudes who have a 2200 rating must be like.
If you don't get any decent letters, it doesn't matter how good a player you are. There's also the matter of how the board develops...I've had a number of recent bingos on my rack with nowhere to put them.
And I'm totally calling bullshit on the 2200 ratings. These are the same people whose highest single word scores are about 1700, for ridiculous 13-letter words. I reject that as a reasonable possibility.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 15th, 2009, 12:54 pm

I don't play scrabble, but should be good for a 2200 :))
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2009, 6:44 am

Still waiting on Shamm and wilson.

Has Arkie started playing?
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 17th, 2009, 3:10 pm

DukeUsul wrote:If anyone is looking for easy wins, feel free to challenge me. :-) I promise to go down easy.
LOL - sounds like my playing, but it is fun to try! Just like tennis, if you don't play with someone better than you, how in the world do you expect to improve. I'll challenge you and we can grow together! :D
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 17th, 2009, 3:11 pm

devildeac wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:If anyone is looking for easy wins, feel free to challenge me. :-) I promise to go down easy.
There's another line I am NOT touching... :roll:
LOL - YOU ARE TOO FUNNY!!!!! =)) =)) =)) =))
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2009, 6:21 pm

Don't look now, Arkie, but it's your turn.
O:-)