Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Phredd3
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by Phredd3 » April 9th, 2021, 9:39 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
April 8th, 2021, 3:47 pm
I also wish some of the alleged centrist Republicans (Romney, Collins) would grow some spine and cross over - I don't expect them to accept the whole thing but one would think that they would say "if you change X, Y and Z you have my vote." But I guess this would be more likely to happen on non-fiscal issues as they tend to me fiscally conservative, socially moderate.
And for non-fiscal issues, budget reconciliation does not apply, so you'd need ten Republican social centrists, which is just stone-cold impossible in today's political landscape. I suspect that whomever succeeds Moscow Mitch in the Republican Senate leadership will have learned from Mitch's strong-arm management tactics and would hold a similarly tight reign over the caucus. The Republican House also seems unified, so there's further evidence that we can't blame this on any one guy, much as we'd like to. Sadly, the problem is us, to the extent there still is an "us".

We do seem pretty determined to hang separately. Sorry, Ben.
dudog

Post by dudog » April 11th, 2021, 9:13 am

NEVER FORGET.
With Trump not engaged, it fell to Pentagon officials, a handful of senior White House aides, the leaders of Congress and the vice president holed up in a secure bunker to manage the chaos.
https://news.yahoo.com/clear-capitol-pe ... _test=2_04
dudog

Post by dudog » April 18th, 2021, 12:57 am

Our republic may be doomed:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz

tl:dr the seditionists are raking in the dough.
dudog

Post by dudog » April 19th, 2021, 1:01 pm

Just another day when I (and society) am (is) glad I'm not a policeman. A lot of people would be getting tasered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rlMxOcgQgI
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 19th, 2021, 8:40 pm

dudog wrote:
April 19th, 2021, 1:01 pm
Just another day when I (and society) am (is) glad I'm not a policeman. A lot of people would be getting tasered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rlMxOcgQgI
Oh my. They showed remarkable restraint in not throwing her in cuffs immediately. What a b!tch, and I do not use that word lightly. She reminds me of Marjorie Taylor-Greene.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » April 21st, 2021, 7:41 pm

So Chauvin is guilty time three, and it's all that CNN and MSNBC could talk about. So now that the right thing has finally happened, does any real change follow? Is this a harbinger, or an outlier of the times?
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 22nd, 2021, 6:41 am

Phredd3 wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 7:41 pm
So Chauvin is guilty time three, and it's all that CNN and MSNBC could talk about. So now that the right thing has finally happened, does any real change follow? Is this a harbinger, or an outlier of the times?
Good question. I have 3 cousins who are police officers, so my family always sides with the police in situations like this. What they do not realize is that guys like Chauvin make it tougher for my cousins to do their jobs.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » April 22nd, 2021, 8:08 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 6:41 am
Good question. I have 3 cousins who are police officers, so my family always sides with the police in situations like this. What they do not realize is that guys like Chauvin make it tougher for my cousins to do their jobs.
They absolutely do. Do you have any thoughts on the best way to weed out guys like Chauvin before they kill someone while still being fair to the rest of the force? It disturbs me that none of the officers with Chauvin did anything to stop his behavior. Is there any way to change that culture?

As that entitled white "woman of god" video upthread shows, the police are clearly capable of patience. What kinds of things might help apply that more universally so that the patience shown the bitchy Walmart lady gets shown to a huge black man? Any ideas?
dudog

Post by dudog » April 22nd, 2021, 9:16 am

The ignorance of these people is stunning. I wonder if they realize how stupid they are. And she's the best this district could find to represent them. I'm gonna miss visiting South Carolina, though outside of Charleston is there any reason to go there?

https://twitter.com/RepDonBeyer/status/ ... 1265537026

OTOH, Rep. Beyer's observation is succinct and on-point.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » April 22nd, 2021, 10:51 am

dudog wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 9:16 am
The ignorance of these people is stunning. I wonder if they realize how stupid they are. And she's the best this district could find to represent them. I'm gonna miss visiting South Carolina, though outside of Charleston is there any reason to go there?

They are all a bunch of morons. It is all about "winning" the game. I'm glad the Dems are finally growing a pair and doing something rather than just letting the Republicans walk all over us.

While we are at it with DC, I think we should create some more states like Austinia (since the good people of Austin seem to be a bastion of blue in the Texan sea of Red), close-in Atlanta (we can draw the lines to keep out the outlying counties out of it - it goes from blue to purple to red very quickly there. I know we currently have GA but I think our hold on it is very tenuous given the laws they are passing) Then the balance of Senators to the number of people they actually represent will be a bit more accurate.

Or if they don't like it, they can feel free to start their own country with their own rules, or lack thereof.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 22nd, 2021, 8:02 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 8:08 am
ArkieDukie wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 6:41 am
They absolutely do. Do you have any thoughts on the best way to weed out guys like Chauvin before they kill someone while still being fair to the rest of the force? It disturbs me that none of the officers with Chauvin did anything to stop his behavior. Is there any way to change that culture?

As that entitled white "woman of god" video upthread shows, the police are clearly capable of patience. What kinds of things might help apply that more universally so that the patience shown the bitchy Walmart lady gets shown to a huge black man? Any ideas?
I wish I knew the answer to that. You would definitely have to change the culture. What stood out to me in the Chauvin trial is that his former CO said he used excessive force. Normally, from what I recall, the police support their own, regardless of circumstances. Maybe this case is the one that causes the culture shift. We can only hope.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 22nd, 2021, 8:06 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 10:51 am
dudog wrote:
April 22nd, 2021, 9:16 am

They are all a bunch of morons. It is all about "winning" the game. I'm glad the Dems are finally growing a pair and doing something rather than just letting the Republicans walk all over us.

While we are at it with DC, I think we should create some more states like Austinia (since the good people of Austin seem to be a bastion of blue in the Texan sea of Red), close-in Atlanta (we can draw the lines to keep out the outlying counties out of it - it goes from blue to purple to red very quickly there. I know we currently have GA but I think our hold on it is very tenuous given the laws they are passing) Then the balance of Senators to the number of people they actually represent will be a bit more accurate.

Or if they don't like it, they can feel free to start their own country with their own rules, or lack thereof.
Actually, the major metro areas in TX tend to be more blue. They are growing in population enough to make the state purple. One would hope that the tide will shift enough to push out the likes of Greg Abbott and Ken Paxton.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » April 26th, 2021, 7:48 am

I spent the weekend in Trumplandia, with my family in AR. Got a second hand view of Faux News at work (I won’t be in the same room with my dad when it’s on). He came into the living room, ranting and railing about how Biden was trying to limit beef consumption as a part of the Green New Deal. I said I hadn’t heard that; he said it happened yesterday (Friday) during his Earth Day speech. I looked it up online. Sure enough, Biden didn’t say it. It was someone else. I found at least 3 reputable sources to verify.

From what I discovered while researching whether Biden had actually said that at all, the Republicans are using this as a talking point when campaigning in the Midwest. They have discovered yet another fear tactic to use, and Faux News is enabling by amplifying the falsehood. If you haven’t noticed this one yet, watch for it. It could become a major issue.

My dad also ranted about the Democrats wanting to pack the courts. I said it was wrong and shouldn’t happen, but it was a response to Trump’s judicial appointments. Then the discussion turned to how Trump bragged about appointing a record number of judges. “He should brag about it. Obama wouldn’t appoint any judges.” “No, that’s not true. Obama did make the appointments. Mitch McConnell sat on them, just as he sat on Merrick Garland’s appointment to the Supreme Court.” “But Harry Reid...” It was a case study on any discussion with a Faux News viewer. You say something they can’t rebut, and the response is some variation of, “But the Democrats...”
-- Albert Einstein
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » April 26th, 2021, 9:01 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
April 26th, 2021, 7:48 am
I spent the weekend in Trumplandia, with my family in AR. Got a second hand view of Faux News at work (I won’t be in the same room with my dad when it’s on). He came into the living room, ranting and railing about how Biden was trying to limit beef consumption as a part of the Green New Deal. I said I hadn’t heard that; he said it happened yesterday (Friday) during his Earth Day speech. I looked it up online. Sure enough, Biden didn’t say it. It was someone else. I found at least 3 reputable sources to verify.

From what I discovered while researching whether Biden had actually said that at all, the Republicans are using this as a talking point when campaigning in the Midwest. They have discovered yet another fear tactic to use, and Faux News is enabling by amplifying the falsehood. If you haven’t noticed this one yet, watch for it. It could become a major issue.

My dad also ranted about the Democrats wanting to pack the courts. I said it was wrong and shouldn’t happen, but it was a response to Trump’s judicial appointments. Then the discussion turned to how Trump bragged about appointing a record number of judges. “He should brag about it. Obama wouldn’t appoint any judges.” “No, that’s not true. Obama did make the appointments. Mitch McConnell sat on them, just as he sat on Merrick Garland’s appointment to the Supreme Court.” “But Harry Reid...” It was a case study on any discussion with a Faux News viewer. You say something they can’t rebut, and the response is some variation of, “But the Democrats...”
You are a stronger person than I am. I think I would have either canceled his cable subscription or throw the TV out the window (is that a form of defenestration?). I wish there was a way to shut down organizations like Fox News without totally violating the first amendment. Some basic requirement to tell the truth would be nice. Hopefully the lawsuits from the voting machine company will do something, but I'm not holding my breath.

I made the mistake of engaging via e-mail with one of my few Trump-supporting friends (who is a fellow New York City Jew and his wife went to Duke). I mainly e-mailed to catch up but also mentioned a somewhat political issue impacting him on which we actually agree - the obsession with critical race theory in private schools here. He took my peace offering and has gradually moved into his "all liberals are bad" tone that I could never stand. I should have learned my lesson.
dudog

Post by dudog » April 27th, 2021, 4:59 pm

I wish Ds would listen to James Carville. Not only does he have good points, I like the way he makes them.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... li=BBnb7Kz
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 29th, 2021, 9:32 am

Watching Biden's speech to "Congress" last night felt like watching Duke play in Cameron without fans.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » April 29th, 2021, 10:06 am

This story sums up right-wing media. Rather than reporting on the news, they are making up stories so that they can take shots at Democrats. The NY Post used to be fluff but entertaining (mainly for sports and gossip). Now it is just scary.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... arris-book
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 29th, 2021, 2:12 pm

During Senator Scott's reply last night, I remember noting how he said "The Left". Emphasis on those two words, and in a negative tone. That's been a tactic for a while now of the GOP, and it another reason why we will never see a return to the mutual respect amongst parties that was there prior to the 90s. Lump all Democrats into an evil empire sounding group.
Rush Limbaugh kicked it all off, and Fox followed. Find ways to make those that have different views from yours sound like they are true enemies, and then rake in profits from it. (Doesn't matter if you personally believe in what you say.) Consequences of said actions be damned.

And now we've had three decades of that attitude. Our states might be united, but the country will forever be separated, and the chasm is only going to get wider. Sigh.
dudog

Post by dudog » April 29th, 2021, 6:04 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 2:12 pm
During Senator Scott's reply last night, I remember noting how he said "The Left". Emphasis on those two words, and in a negative tone. That's been a tactic for a while now of the GOP, and it another reason why we will never see a return to the mutual respect amongst parties that was there prior to the 90s. Lump all Democrats into an evil empire sounding group.
Rush Limbaugh kicked it all off, and Fox followed. Find ways to make those that have different views from yours sound like they are true enemies, and then rake in profits from it. (Doesn't matter if you personally believe in what you say.) Consequences of said actions be damned.

And now we've had three decades of that attitude. Our states might be united, but the country will forever be separated, and the chasm is only going to get wider. Sigh.
Who peed in your Post Toasties? :))

(I agree with you)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 29th, 2021, 6:31 pm

dudog wrote:
April 29th, 2021, 6:04 pm
Who peed in your Post Toasties? :))

(I agree with you)
It rhymes with Bindsey Sham.