dudog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Re: Trump Vs Biden --- The Election Thread

Post by dudog » October 21st, 2020, 7:50 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
October 21st, 2020, 6:02 pm
POW!!!!!

Barack Obama is hitting the ball wayyyyy outta the park in Philly for Biden tonight. And he's setting up all of Joe's talking points for tomorrow night.
This should be interesting. Nobody gets Trump's goat like Obama. Meltdown in 3,2,...
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » October 22nd, 2020, 12:08 am

I was lamenting with my son about my youth. In those days we didn’t have social media we had music.

Our Trump in England in those days was Thatcher (I know you Americans don’t see it this way). So many protest songs.

There is this one from Elvis Costello. “Tramp the dirt down”. Maybe I’ll put this on my bucket list in relation Trump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pi_YQul7XXk
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
dudog

Post by dudog » October 22nd, 2020, 10:50 am

Update from Florida:

In 2016, Trump won Florida by 112,911 votes, or 1.2%.

My county is the 12th largest, about half a million people, part of the famed I-4 Corridor in elections. So I'd say it's a good bellwether. Leans R.

In 2016, 260,307 votes were cast and Trump won by 33,970. So to our permanent shame, we made up a significant (30%!) portion of his margin in the state.

Through 3 days of early voting (11 left) and counting mail-ins, 131,098 ballots have been cast. The tally is increasing by over 15,000/day. Even if that rate decreases, we'll probably have more early votes in 2020 than total votes in 2016.

Breakdown of votes so far by registration: 54,309 D, 48,227 R, and 28,562 NPA.

All the pundits are saying Florida is going to be close, certainly within 1%. I don't see it. Unlike some states, Florida tabulates ballots as received and releases the results of the early votes when polls close on Election Day. Then results are updated as they trickle in from the local precincts.

Florida is going to go strongly for Joe, and we'll know the results by 9:00 Election Night and therefore the national result will be a foregone conclusion at that time.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2020, 10:58 am

dudog wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 10:50 am

Florida is going to go strongly for Joe, and we'll know the results by 9:00 Election Night and therefore the national result will be a foregone conclusion at that time.
I think we can be pretty sure that IF Florida does indeed "go strongly" for Biden, and the results are known on election night, we can all go to bed fairly certain that Trump is toast.
I like your confidence, but I've still got 2016 jitters weighing me down.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 22nd, 2020, 11:05 am

dudog wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 10:50 am
Update from Florida:

In 2016, Trump won Florida by 112,911 votes, or 1.2%.

My county is the 12th largest, about half a million people, part of the famed I-4 Corridor in elections. So I'd say it's a good bellwether. Leans R.

In 2016, 260,307 votes were cast and Trump won by 33,970. So to our permanent shame, we made up a significant (30%!) portion of his margin in the state.

Through 3 days of early voting (11 left) and counting mail-ins, 131,098 ballots have been cast. The tally is increasing by over 15,000/day. Even if that rate decreases, we'll probably have more early votes in 2020 than total votes in 2016.

Breakdown of votes so far by registration: 54,309 D, 48,227 R, and 28,562 NPA.

All the pundits are saying Florida is going to be close, certainly within 1%. I don't see it. Unlike some states, Florida tabulates ballots as received and releases the results of the early votes when polls close on Election Day. Then results are updated as they trickle in from the local precincts.

I appreciate your optimism and hope you are right. Trump seems to be doing very little to appeal to senior voters. I hate being a conspiracy theorist but I have zero trust in those who are counting the votes, particularly in Florida with your charming governor.
dudog

Post by dudog » October 22nd, 2020, 11:39 am

OK, so shoot me for enjoying the sun coming up every day. :p :D

I get ya. I finished Woodward's book last night. And these lines from the last page of the last chapter sent a chill down my spine:

Trump: "You don't understand me. But that's okay. You'll understand me after the election. But you don't understand me now. I don't think you get it."

I have a visceral dislike for Trump. He's a terrible person, let alone as the leader of the most powerful country the world has ever seen. But I'm a straight white guy with no progeny pushing 60. I'll be OK at the end of the day. If you're a woman, or a minority (or of a minority religion), or LBGTQ, or military, or have children/grandchildren (climate, debt), or have lost a loved one to COVID...and you're not doing everything in your power to get rid of this guy, then screw you. You get what you deserve. I'll retreat from social media and the news and become the bubble boy.

I have to believe Trumpism will be crushed.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 22nd, 2020, 12:40 pm

dudog wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 11:39 am
OK, so shoot me for enjoying the sun coming up every day. :p :D

I get ya. I finished Woodward's book last night. And these lines from the last page of the last chapter sent a chill down my spine:

Trump: "You don't understand me. But that's okay. You'll understand me after the election. But you don't understand me now. I don't think you get it."

I have a visceral dislike for Trump. He's a terrible person, let alone as the leader of the most powerful country the world has ever seen. But I'm a straight white guy with no progeny pushing 60. I'll be OK at the end of the day. If you're a woman, or a minority (or of a minority religion), or LBGTQ, or military, or have children/grandchildren (climate, debt), or have lost a loved one to COVID...and you're not doing everything in your power to get rid of this guy, then screw you. You get what you deserve. I'll retreat from social media and the news and become the bubble boy.

I have to believe Trumpism will be crushed.
Sorry. Didn't mean to be Debbie Downer. But I think we are on the same page. To paraphrase Principal Ed Rooney from Ferris Bueller, "I don't trust him as far as I can throw him." As much as we all had differences about policy choices and either some bigger moral issues like abortion or the death penalty, when push came to shove, for most of the country's history, we were all largely playing by the same set of rules. Now that has just been turned upside down. And even if Biden wins and the Dems get the Senate, the damage has been done. Trump has packed the courts for decades. And his millions of followers will be salivating at the chance to elect him or one of his kids in 2024. The rule of law has been poisoned forever, and more importantly, there is just a complete lack of trust. We have been thrust into this endless cycle of absolute chaos.

I have kids in grade school so the long term health of this country is very important to me. I live in a blue state so we can often find ways to work around many of Trump's destructive policies and in many ways his tax cuts have helped me (other than the SALT cut, but even that was not nearly as bad as many would think). My wife has a chronic condition that would make her uninsurable so the death of the ACA is worrisome but I'd like to think we are both very employable. But as you noted, I care about the greater good of this country and I care about helping others who are getting totally screwed by this evil man. If he wins I honestly do not know what I will do. Because unlike his supporters who fly Trump flags instead of American flags, I care about my country.

Cue the Lee Greenwood...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2020, 1:33 pm

I've yet to watch it, but it looks like the man with the amazing power to constantly shoot himself in the foot has done it again with his release of the 60 Minutes interview.
Trump Exposes Himself as Whiner-in-Chief in Leaked ‘60 Minutes’ Interview
Over the past couple days, President Donald Trump has been repeatedly threatening to release his entire, unedited interview with 60 Minutes’ Lesley Stahl before an edited version airs on this coming Sunday’s episode. Well, he finally did it and it may have the exact opposite effect he was hoping for.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-expose ... 39560.html
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 22nd, 2020, 2:18 pm

October 22nd, 2020, 1:33 pm
I've yet to watch it, but it looks like the man with the amazing power to constantly shoot himself in the foot has done it again with his release of the 60 Minutes interview.
Trump Exposes Himself as Whiner-in-Chief in Leaked ‘60 Minutes’ Interview
Over the past couple days, President Donald Trump has been repeatedly threatening to release his entire, unedited interview with 60 Minutes’ Lesley Stahl before an edited version airs on this coming Sunday’s episode. Well, he finally did it and it may have the exact opposite effect he was hoping for.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-expose ... 39560.html
The man's paranoia is unmatched - he thinks it is him against the world, with only his oldest three children truly by his side (and maybe Rudy). Psychiatrists are having a field day with him. Yet America is unbothered by this and believes him that everyone really is out to get him. If only the Democrats were smart enough to come up with such a powerful conspiracy...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2020, 2:40 pm

I watched some of the interview (it's in that article I linked above), at least the beginning and the end. It's scary to think about how someone so insecure is in the most powerful position in the world.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2020, 2:44 pm

Two armed men showed up outside a polling station in Florida on Tuesday and claimed to be a part of the Trump campaign, though the campaign denied any connection with them.

Julie Marcus, the supervisor for elections for Florida's Pinellas County, told local outlet WFLA 8 that the men said they had been hired by the campaign.
That's whacked. I'm sure it won't be the only of these situations.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/armed-men-sh ... 45862.html
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » October 22nd, 2020, 2:46 pm

October 22nd, 2020, 1:33 pm
In absolute fairness, I don't think Lesley Stahl acquitted herself terribly well. She engaged in a too much tit-for-tat, rather than just sticking to her line of questioning. She did try to insist on answers, but when the answers are unverifiable claptrap, as they often are with Trump, she should have just stated that outright and then moved on. Instead, she seemed to be trying hard to get him to admit he is wrong. That's a fools errand, and she went on it. Trump goads that, of course, but she fell into that orbit instead of staying above it.

Not that Trump did himself any favors. It was completely obvious on healthcare, for example, that the "plans" he kept talking about on and on as "already there" don't actually exist and that his pre-existing condition promises are utterly without foundation. She did persist with her questioning long enough to make that abundantly clear, along with several other things.

In the end, it was a mistake to try to release the raw tape and control the narrative. 60 Minutes is going to have the last word on this, and it won't look good for the President. It certainly won't be a way to move votes in favor of the incumbent.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 22nd, 2020, 2:47 pm

I don't think Biden wants to go down this path, but the question I keep asking is that worst case, if Hunter did everything he is accused of, is it any worse than what the Trump family has done almost every single day of his presidency? Trump's abuses of power have been constant. I feel like this would have a lot more power coming from almost anyone other than Trump. But he has brainwashed so many people into believing everything he says that no one knows which way is up.
Wander
PW in training
PW in training

Post by Wander » October 22nd, 2020, 3:57 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 2:47 pm
I don't think Biden wants to go down this path, but the question I keep asking is that worst case, if Hunter did everything he is accused of, is it any worse than what the Trump family has done almost every single day of his presidency?
Remember what Ted Cruz said: "Whatever Trump does, he accuses everyone else of doing".
dudog

Post by dudog » October 22nd, 2020, 5:35 pm

Again with my optimism: A+ poll has Trump ahead by 7 in Kansas...where he beat Clinton by 20. I don't see how he wins a state today that he only won by a point in 2016. So there goes WI, MI, PA, and FL. Game. Scoreboard.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2020, 5:36 pm

dudog wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 5:35 pm
Again with my optimism: A+ poll has Trump ahead by 7 in Kansas...where he beat Clinton by 20. I don't see how he wins a state today that he only won by a point in 2016. So there goes WI, MI, PA, and FL. Game. Scoreboard.
If Trump wins, I'm totally blaming you and your jynx powers.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » October 22nd, 2020, 5:39 pm

When Trump interrupts Biden, I think Biden should say, "When Putin is giving you his orders, do you interrupt him like that? I don't think so."

I know there are the protocols about the masks but what is the plan about COVID testing, masks in the audience, etc. I would love to see them boot all of Trump's people who are there for not wearing masks.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2020, 5:50 pm

For all the talk about Trump interrupting Biden, I feel bad for Joe who has to sit silently while Trump blabs blatant lies during his 2 minutes. That's gonna be tough.

PS...I saw a story about how Trump tested negative today. I'm assuming that's true, but it's hard to trust much that comes out of the WH these days.
dudog

Post by dudog » October 22nd, 2020, 5:58 pm

October 22nd, 2020, 5:36 pm
dudog wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 5:35 pm
If Trump wins, I'm totally blaming you and your jynx powers.
Good thing message boards are anonymous!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 22nd, 2020, 6:20 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
October 22nd, 2020, 5:39 pm
I know there are the protocols about the masks but what is the plan about COVID testing, masks in the audience, etc. I would love to see them boot all of Trump's people who are there for not wearing masks.
President Donald Trump and former Vice President Joe Biden will both be tested for coronavirus before their final debate at Belmont University on Thursday, and all audience members will be required to wear masks throughout the event, according to an official from the Commission on Presidential Debates.

These assurances, provided Tuesday in an interview with The Tennessean, stand in stark contrast to the prior actions of Trump and the first family, who ignored a mask requirement at the first debate in September and inflamed confusion about if the president was tested beforehand.
https://www.tennessean.com/story/news/2 ... 658464001/