LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » June 4th, 2020, 6:02 pm

It sure is slow over here. What the heck, people? Let’s get this party re-started!!

Question: who else has attempted to make sourdough bread? I’ve made it twice now and have had reasonably good luck both times. My only complaint is that the crust has turned out a bit tough both times. Any suggestions?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 4th, 2020, 6:19 pm

Today’s new experience: I presented a poster at a virtual conference. I didn’t have any questions or comments, so I’m not sure how many people actually saw it. I do know of one friend, but that’s it. I like being able to browse talks and posters online, but it kinda stinks to not be able to discuss science live and in person.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 4th, 2020, 6:20 pm

Has anyone else been watching The Brotherhood (I think), with Nolan Smith? He does interviews with coaches, former players, current players and new players. It has been really entertaining.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 5th, 2020, 7:43 pm

I just returned home from participating in a peaceful demonstration with members of my church.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 8th, 2020, 11:04 pm

Hmmm ... can’t post OY, no one responds here. What to do...
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 8th, 2020, 11:09 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 11:04 pm
Can't post OY? What happened? :ymdevil:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 9th, 2020, 8:39 am

devildeac wrote:
June 8th, 2020, 11:09 pm
ArkieDukie wrote:
Other posters complained about me to the mods - in, of all places, the Coronavirus thread. It reminded me of why I quit posting OY in the first place.

Apparently it was bad to enumerate the reasons why church services are a bad idea. Singing has a high rate of viral transmission. I expect a spike in cases centered around churches and the recent protests.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 9th, 2020, 8:46 am

I’ve started playing the piano again. I downloaded the Simply Piano app and ended up subscribing for a year. So far I’ve gotten through the 3 basic levels and am ready to start Classical I. It really is very well done.

I’ve tried several times to get back to where I was before and have not been successful. I think I tried to start at too high a level. This is forcing me back through the basics in a very structured way. I think this is going to work.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 9th, 2020, 10:44 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 8:39 am
devildeac wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Other posters complained about me to the mods - in, of all places, the Coronavirus thread. It reminded me of why I quit posting OY in the first place.

Apparently it was bad to enumerate the reasons why church services are a bad idea. Singing has a high rate of viral transmission. I expect a spike in cases centered around churches and the recent protests.
I must have missed your posts on church openings - since I'm on our church council, I'm interested in learning all view points on opening churches - when, how, can we ever sing again, etc. We haven't really even contemplated a date - we are looking into what needs to be in place first and how to get that set up before we set a date.

My only argument with people is when they don't see a need for church - that is fine for them but it is very important to others.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 9th, 2020, 11:09 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 10:44 am
ArkieDukie wrote:
devildeac wrote:

I must have missed your posts on church openings - since I'm on our church council, I'm interested in learning all view points on opening churches - when, how, can we ever sing again, etc. We haven't really even contemplated a date - we are looking into what needs to be in place first and how to get that set up before we set a date.

My only argument with people is when they don't see a need for church - that is fine for them but it is very important to others.
That’s where our church is. Our tentative date is the first Sunday in July. We’ve been having online services. I understand those who want to worship in person, and I think it can be done with an abundance of caution.

Our choir meets online via zoom - not to rehearse, but to catch up. We’ve also had the discussions regarding safe singing. My concern is that many of the churches that are reopening are not taking proper safety precautions. Many of my FB friends who were most excited about churches reopening are the ones who believe the virus is a hoax or not as serious as the seasonal flu. That’s why I predicted a rise in cases. And, I think this is the post that drew the complaints.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 9th, 2020, 11:16 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
devildeac wrote:

This may be the funniest thing I have read this year. The organic chemist discusses COVID-19, and people complain.

Another reason not to hang out OY. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 9th, 2020, 11:22 am

To chime in on the church discussion: we are not going back before the first Sunday in July, at the very earliest. There will be a meeting of church leaders closer to the end of the month to decide if we have the necessary tools to minimize the possibility of COVID spread.

We have no real idea what we will ever do about choir. There are about eight of us altos and sopranos that text every day, just to check on each other. Social isolation is, at the moment, a big problem. We had a car parade in April and are having one for a gentleman who turns 80 on Thursday, but some church members are really suffering.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 9th, 2020, 1:23 pm

Choir won't be happening when we open up. Although I think AD shared what new choir robes would look like on FB - and I re-shared it.

We don't live stream - our current online presence is all pre-recorded. We are in the process of getting the equipment and installation set up so we can start planning for live stream services. We won't go back until that is available as we have members that won't be able to come back, or be willing to come back, until there is a vaccine.

Church of the Resurrection, the largest Methodist church in the US, is currently looking at 7/12 to start in person worship but may push it to 8/1.

We are planning our 3rd car parade for July - trying to determine who the guests of honor should be. Definitely want one of them to be our pianist/organist. We had one with the kids being the guests of honor and one with our graduates as guests of honor. We have a number of members with motorcycles so we may set up a motorcycle drive by of some of our shut ins/senior members.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 9th, 2020, 3:54 pm

We did a car parade for our pastor on her birthday. She loved it, and so did her kids!! I love the idea of doing parades for other church members. I will mention the idea to my fellow choir peeps. I can think of some other members who might benefit.

Our church activity of the moment is Black Lives Matter vigils in front of our church, during the evening rush hour. I participated last Friday, and we have another one tomorrow. We stand along the street in front of our church holding signs - complete with masks and social distancing. Reaction has been very positive.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » June 9th, 2020, 4:02 pm

Our car parades are held at church - guests of honor park and members come in the west entrance to drive past them, and around the building, leaving through the east entrance.

We did a car parade to say good bye to a couple that were relocating to Lawrence. Drove past their house with signs, balloons, honking horns, and a brief chat. The little boy down the street from them was very excited by the parade.
Life is good!
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 10th, 2020, 9:12 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 3:54 pm
We did a car parade for our pastor on her birthday. She loved it, and so did her kids!! I love the idea of doing parades for other church members. I will mention the idea to my fellow choir peeps. I can think of some other members who might benefit.

Our church activity of the moment is Black Lives Matter vigils in front of our church, during the evening rush hour. I participated last Friday, and we have another one tomorrow. We stand along the street in front of our church holding signs - complete with masks and social distancing. Reaction has been very positive.
We visited fifteen shut-ins/seniors. Gave them about five minutes lead time so they could come out. It was great. We are doing another one tomorrow evening for a man who turns 80. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 10th, 2020, 2:09 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
June 10th, 2020, 9:12 am
ArkieDukie wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 3:54 pm

We visited fifteen shut-ins/seniors. Gave them about five minutes lead time so they could come out. It was great. We are doing another one tomorrow evening for a man who turns 80. :9f:
I love this so much!! I really need to mention it to my choir peeps. Might mention it tonight. Several are in the group that will be participating in a vigil tonight.
-- Albert Einstein
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » June 11th, 2020, 11:58 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
June 9th, 2020, 4:02 pm
Our car parades are held at church - guests of honor park and members come in the west entrance to drive past them, and around the building, leaving through the east entrance.

We did a car parade to say good bye to a couple that were relocating to Lawrence. Drove past their house with signs, balloons, honking horns, and a brief chat. The little boy down the street from them was very excited by the parade.
We have had MANY parades at church with honorees on display and parishoners driving by honking, waving, signs and such. Been a hit for sure!
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 14th, 2020, 6:54 am

I did something I thought I wouldn’t do: I’m now paying to park at work rather than taking the train. As of now, the train schedule is a bit of a mess, so the trip by train is just too complicated. So, at least for now, I’ll drive to work. If things ever get back to something resembling normal I’ll revisit the decision.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 14th, 2020, 6:56 am

On a related note, I’m going back to work tomorrow by choice. At the beginning I did well and could get a lot accomplished; now I get distracted too easily and just cannot seem to stay focused. So, back to work I go.
-- Albert Einstein