devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » September 11th, 2019, 10:51 pm

Slightly Mighty-Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Lo-cal IPA

Canned on
04/03/19 09:27

Format: 12 ounce can; a trader from August West from his mixed 12 pack this weekend; Thanks!!
Appearance: clear; light gold-yellow
Head: thin, fizzy, short-lifespan
Aromas: hints of pineapple, grapefruit and peaches
Mouthfeel: soft and bubbly
Tastes: mildly sweet and a bit more bitter than expected but not unpleasant; hints of pineapple, grapefruit, pine and stone fruits
IBU: 30 or less
ABV 4%
Adjuncts: monk fruit (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siraitia_grosvenorii)
Calories: 95
Carbs: 3.6
Overall impression: very pleasant hot summer night ale; would sip again; fuse Cat 2
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 12th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Namaste White-Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

Canned on
04/04/19 15:05

Belgian-style Witbier

Trader from August West. Thanks!

Format: 12 ounce can
Appearance: light gold-yellow; slightly cloudy
Head: foamy, lacy; off-white
Aromas: orange juice (not fresh) and spices
Mouthfeel: bubbly and soft
Tastes: dried, unsweetened orange slices with rinds, spice/coriander, black pepper
Adjuncts: dried orange flesh and peel, lemongrass, coriander and peppercorns
IBU: 20
ABV: 4.8%
Overall impression: a somewhat different white wheat beer given the adjuncts; a rather refreshing summer sipper
Ymm, Beer rating: fuse Cat 2-don't think I'd buy a 6 or 12 pack of this but would pour another into a regular or shaped pint glass in about 5 seconds
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 14th, 2019, 11:02 pm

Cellar Door no.8-Brewery Bhavana

"This blackberry dark sour rested for 12 months in single-use Cabernet barrels..."

I'm not sure I need to post much more than that...

Large format bottle-750 ml-in 375 ml portions Wednesday and Thursday nights and I'm very sad it's all gone now.

I didn't get a bottle of Reve Noir from fuse from his membership but I am quite satisfied and delighted to have received one of these earlier this year from him. Thanks!!

Appearance-dark brown with edges of reddish-purple
Head-moderate; off-white and faintly purple; nice retention/Belgian lacing
Aromas-blackberry/cherry cider vinegar; pungent red wine
Mouthfeel-tart and bubbly
Tastes-a cornucopia of deliciousness; tart/sour with many berries and cherries; vinegar; vinous; tannins; wet wood; dark fruits
IBU-who cares
ABV-7% but punches at a much higher weight
Overall impression-an outstanding concoction
Ymm, Beer rating-easily and unquestionably fuse Cat 3
Similar (?) beers-Black Currant Bam, Brett Raspberry Sour, Dark Swan, Black Sour, Darkest Hour, Brabant and Aunt Sally. They were all very, very good but this Brewery Bhavana beer was in another universe, therefore, another hearty thank you to fuse for sharing his extra bottle with me.

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 17th, 2019, 10:14 pm

Sierraveza-Sierra Nevada Brewing Company

Guess the style .

Twelve ounce can. Beer #1 from my September beer club 4 pack.

Pour was a light golden-yellow with a thick, frothy head. Soft floral aromas, followed by the expected lightly bitter, floral hoppiness from a lager with hints of sweetness. I'll guess 20 IBUs and the ABV is stated at 5%. Very easy to sip on a warm, late summer evening or pair with a turkey club sammich. Fuse Cat 2. Another solid SN offering.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 17th, 2019, 10:39 pm

Coffee Cherry Vanilla Dire Wolf-Wolf's Ridge Brewing

Packaged on
Feb/01/20smudge smudge

One of a number of Dire Wolf variants; I've had the original, Coffee Vanilla and One Line (coffee only). I have the Yub Nub (cinnamon and coffee infused) and Port Wine variants "cellaring" for fall or winter sipping.

Bomber divided over 2 nights.

Pour was a mahogany with ruby edges and a thin, tan head. Coffee tempts the nose along with vanilla, followed by the same on the palate with tart cherries interwoven, but secondary to the java and vanilla and maybe some molasses (not added) and other dark, dried fruits. It's an imperial stout so I'll guess IBUs in the 50-60 range; mostly heavily roasted grains bitter and not hoppy bitter. You'll feel the 12.2% ABV about halfway through the bomber so it's really time to quit after 11-12 ounces. Highly recommended and easily fuse Cat 3.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2019, 10:19 am

From last PM:

Terre Du Sauvage Red-Wolf's Ridge Brewing Company

Barrel-aged Farmhouse Sour Rye Ale

Shared tread with son of devildeac! Momma raised him well.

Poured into two snifters from a 750 ml bottle. Light golden-yellow in color with a bit of "chunk" that settled nicely as we sipped this over about 30 minutes. Immediate scents of wet hay, barnyard funk and white wine, followed by mildly sour/funky flavors with tart apples, underripe pears, white wine, wet wood and hay. I think it was oak barrel-aged only as wine barrels were not mentioned on the label. "Brettanomyces, lactobacillus and other yeasts" listed on the label as fermentation partners. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV was 6.5%, pretty standard for the style. I'd pair this with Italian dishes. Another outstanding beverage from one of the top 2-3 breweries in the Columbus area. Easy fuse Cat 3.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2019, 9:06 pm

What better to start with than:

Franz-Rheingeist Brewery

C'mon, ya can't get much more German than the beer and brewery names.

Poured from a 12 ounce can into large wine glasses. Color was light amber with a generous off-white head. Nose of toasted wheat bread and tastes of light brown sugar, toasted bread and herbal European hops. IBUs at 20 and ABV at 5.4%. Solid starter to pair with some chips and a game of corn hole. Fuse Cat 2.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 21st, 2019, 10:01 pm

Final entry of the night:

Oktoberfest-Great Lakes Brewing Company

Over-rated: clap, clap, clap/clap/clap

This can't possibly be the #3 Octoberfest on the beeradvocate top 100 but it is.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into the wine glasses we used for tailgate and appeared the darkest of the 3 we sampled but only a medium amber. Pleasant malty/grainy nose with toasted wheat bread, light caramel, earthy hops and a smooth mouthfeel. IBUs were 20 and the ABV was 6.4%. Nice pairing with our burgers, wieners and a chocolate chip and a macadamia white chocolate chunk cookie.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 22nd, 2019, 9:16 am

I enjoyed an El General Mexican lager at the Bunker Brewpub and Cadence Hall in Virginia Beach. This 4.7 ABV beer was light and refreshing and accompanied my BBQ slider sandwich, loaded waffle fries and fruit plate very well. And it tasted very much like my favorite beer: Corona! :D

This beer was brewed in-house at the Bunker Brewpub by the Young Veterans Brewing Company in Virginia Beach.

I look forward to a return trip to this venue and to sampling a flight of their other beers.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2019, 2:23 pm

Oil of Aphrodite-Jackie O's Pub and Brewery

Drink local!

BBA imperial stout aged on locally sourced black walnuts.

Shared 375 ml bottle with son of devildeac Friday night. Thanks!

Poured into snifters. Color was almost black with a thin tan head. Nose of dark chocolate, bourbon and toasted nuts. Mouthfeel was oily/viscous and tastes of more dark chocolate, black strap molasses, hints of coffee (not added), roasted/candied walnuts with warming bourbon from start to finish. I'll guess IBUs about 50 based on the RIS style and the ABV was 11.5%. Paired with some bakery fresh chocolate chip cookies. I don't know what he paid for this but I greatly enjoyed it and understand even more now with my 2nd or 3rd Jackie O's product why accfanfrom 1970 reviews these so highly. Easily Fuse Cat 3.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2019, 10:37 pm

From last PM:

Black Mangrove-Wolf's Ridge Brewing Company

Drink local!

Packaged on-May/16/2019
Style-dark sour ale aged in red wine and bourbon barrels
Format-750 ml capped bottle (shared 3 ways in snifters)
Head-minimal
Appearance-dark brown with hints of ruby; cloudy
Nose-wet hay; dark fruits; red wine; funk
Mouthfeel-bubbly
Tastes-very complex; dark chocolate and caramel; raisins, dates and figs; wet blanket; quite vinous; minimal bourbon; wet oak; red berries
IBUs-who cares? ()
ABV-6.5%
Fermentation-Brettanomyces and Lactobacillus
Overall impression-an outstanding mixed sour/mixed barrel-aged beer and rather unexpected from this brewery, now above Zaftig as my favorite Columbus brewery
Ymm, Beer rating-Fuse Cat 3

I'd side-by-side this with any Brewery Bhavana sour I've had to date and would have great difficulty picking a winner. Should have put a couple in the cooler. Very high praise.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2019, 10:38 pm

From last PM:

The Shape of Things to Come-Wolf's Ridge Brewing

More local! Thanks to devildeac2 for his selection and treat!

Style-blended barrel-aged sour ale with blackberry, cranberry and Montmorency tart cherry
Format-750 ml bottle (shared 3 ways from snifters)
Appearance-cloudy; medium brown-red
Head-thin
Nose-berries and cherries, oh, my; apple brandy; mild vinegar
Mouthfeel-tingly; tart
Tastes-lots and lots of berries; brandy; lots and lots of cherries; Sour Patch Kids; wet wood;
IBUs-20 (?); again, who cares ()
ABV-9.6%
Overall impression-We all thought the Black Mangrove was outstanding. This was better.
Ymm, Beer rating-Fuse Cat 3, though I might contact killerleft and accfanfrom1970 and start a write-in campaign to fuse for a higher level rating
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 22nd, 2019, 10:39 pm

CathyCA wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 9:16 am
I enjoyed an El General Mexican lager at the Bunker Brewpub and Cadence Hall in Virginia Beach. This 4.7 ABV beer was light and refreshing and accompanied my BBQ slider sandwich, loaded waffle fries and fruit plate very well. And it tasted very much like my favorite beer: Corona! :D

This beer was brewed in-house at the Bunker Brewpub by the Young Veterans Brewing Company in Virginia Beach.

I look forward to a return trip to this venue and to sampling a flight of their other beers.

It would be criminal not to acknowledge CathyCA's annual Ymm, Beer post :ymhug: . Well done! Please post more!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 23rd, 2019, 9:37 am

devildeac wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 10:39 pm
CathyCA wrote:

It would be criminal not to acknowledge CathyCA's annual Ymm, Beer post :ymhug: . Well done! Please post more!
I am certainly not a connoisseur of beer, but I know what I like. If you are ever in Virginia Beach, give this veteran-owned brewpub a visit!

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2019, 9:38 pm

CathyCA wrote:
September 23rd, 2019, 9:37 am
devildeac wrote:
September 22nd, 2019, 10:39 pm
CathyCA wrote:

I am certainly not a connoisseur of beer, but I know what I like. If you are ever in Virginia Beach, give this veteran-owned brewpub a visit!

And, if you get down to Surf City/Topsail Island, please visit Salty Turtle Brewing Company, another veteran-owned business on the sound side, about 1/4 mile from the Food Lion.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2019, 9:38 pm

A late entrant to the Septemberfest party:

Clawhammer-Highlands Brewing Company

Credit-trader from RJ199 today. Thanks!
Filled on-07/14/19 (WTH? Brewed in July for October? Oh, never mind .)
Format-12 ounce bottle
Appearance-medium amber
Head-modest, foamy and off-white
Aromas-toasted bread;earthy; light brown sugar
Mouthfeel-smooth
Tastes-toasted wheat bread; light caramel; mild herbal hops/bitterness
IBUs-20 (not listed but seemed to be a popular number on Saturday)
ABV-5% but drinks a bit higher
Overall impression-solid; good brew for the style
Ymm, Beer rating-fuse Cat 2

Now that I've had 4 recent Octoberfests, I'd slide this in just behind Munsterfest and slightly above Great Lakes Oktoberfest which was a half step above Franz.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 23rd, 2019, 10:44 pm

Triple Berry Sour-Väsen Brewing Company

Credit-accfanfrom1970 who took several (samples) for the team with this one and others from Hardywood and Veil
Format-Pint can
Canned on-06 28 2019 0858
Hops-Cascade
Grains-Belgian Pilsner, Maris Otter, German Wheat, flaked oats
Yeast-Belgian Saison
IBUs-10ish
Overall impression-excellent example of the the style which really should be listed as an imperial sour at that ABV
Ymm, Beer rating-tough to debate the Cat 3 above

Many thanks to accfan for this selection, my first beer ever from Väsen. I'd certainly sample more.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 24th, 2019, 11:21 am

And, if you get down to Surf City/Topsail Island, please visit Salty Turtle Brewing Company, another veteran-owned business on the sound side, about 1/4 mile from the Food Lion.
We'll be at Topsail in a month, and I'm putting this on our list of things to do!

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 24th, 2019, 10:15 pm

From recently:

The Original-Innis and Gunn Brewing Company

Not local!

Bourbon Barrel Scotch Ale

Credit-younger daughter and son-in-law-thanks!!
Origin-from the brewery in Edinburgh
Format-660 ml shaped glass "bomber"
Stemware-whatever the Residence Inn had available (it looked like a wine glass _
Appearance-medium amber
Aromas-caramel, bourbon, hints of peat/smoke
Mouthfeel-a bit thin; smooth
Tastes-liquid, light brown sugar, earthy/herbal hops; peat, caramel, vanilla, toffee and bourbon
IBUs-30 is my guess
ABV-6.6%
Overall impression-interesting combination of the barrel-aging and an authentic Scotch ale but it's no Hooligan (from Catawba's barrel room)
Ymm, Beer rating-fuse cat 2
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 24th, 2019, 10:32 pm

Break O'Day Juicy IPA-New Glarus Brewing Company

"Only in Wisconsin"

Credit-younger son-in-law who lugged this down to Chicago after sacrificing himself () in a 3 day golf junket in upstate Wisconsin in mid July and then lugged it even further to Columbus, OH this weekend so I could haul it back to NC yesterday. Thanks!
Format-12 ounce bottle
Glassware-standard pint glass
Appearance-cloudy; yellow-orange
Nose-tangerine/peach/orange/mango juice (doubt anything like that exists but some Dole juice blend might be close)
Mouthfeel-fruit juicy without pulp
Tastes-same as the aromas with some orange rind and hints of grapefruit, pineapple and a mild piney finish, too
Hops-Comet, Amarillo, Chinook, Bravo, Sterling and Citra
Adjuncts-no fruits were harmed during production or this ale
IBUs-50 (another WAG)
ABV-7% (WAG again)
Overall impression-better than expected after reading some on-line reviews; Scream IIPA was better but this was very good
Ymm, Beer rating-solid cat 2

I'll be very interested in reading fuse's review after he gets his delivery later this week, hopefully. RJ199 also has a couple bottles of this and I'm sure he'll drop a line or three here if he can find some downtime from his work.