Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » August 15th, 2019, 11:18 pm

Grapefruit Hefeweizen (draft)-Southern Pines Brewing Company

Half pint ($2.50) with a free Chick-Fil-A grilled chicken club, fries and a chocolate chip cookie (saved for tomorrow AM's snack with a thermos of hot coffee at the office).

Yellow-orange pour with a modest, foamy head. Smelled like weak orange-grapefruit juice but with a better/stronger taste profile of the same with some faint banana and clove and very mild hop bitterness. I'll guess IBUs about 30 and the ABV was 4.8%. Good pairing with the above dinner but not a standout hefe (are there really any outside of the authentic German ones?). A thin Cat 2.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 15th, 2019, 11:34 pm

Strawberry Saison (draft)-Brewery Bhavana

I don't have much affinity for strawberry beers but this one swayed me greatly.

Half pint pour for $3.50 was a hazy, pinkish-straw color with a scant head. Aromas of strawberry jam and hay () that preceded tastes of the same with a pinch of black pepper along with hints of apples and pears. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV was 6.5%. Very pleasant pairing with the aforementioned Chick-Fil-A combo. About halfway between a Cat 2 and 3 beverage. Quality stuff.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 16th, 2019, 5:48 pm

The Ruckus (draft)-Raleigh Brewing Company

Rum barrel-aged imperial stout

For Mullet Man (IIRC)

Two ounce sample after 2 "light" beers yesterday.

Dark brown color with a small, tan head. Dark chocolate-covered Baba au Rhum aromas and tastes, without the dough. A bit thin for a stout and a little less flavorful than their base imperial stout, The Toll. Also, less boozy than their BBA The Toll. I'll guess IBUs about 60 based on the style-not too bitter. The ABV was 8% with Untapped quoting both The Toll and BBA The Toll at 10.5% ABV. Solid Cat 2 and would consider a half pint or full serving if seen again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 16th, 2019, 6:20 pm

Up Close and Personal with Robin Leach-Trophy Brewing Company

I'd have never in a million years or more made this connection (but, maybe it's because I'm an Old Curmudgeon):

On the label: "I made the change from a common thief to..."

Video NSFW but it's Juicy by The Notorious BIG if anyone's interested.

NEIPA

Poured from about a $4 pint can into a standard pint glass in two fairly equal servings last PM. Appearance was hazy and pineapple-yellow with a generous, foamy head. Nose about as expected with pineapple and grapefruit juices. Tastes were a bit more intriguing with the same juices (neither added) along with peaches, papaya, orange, mango and rind. I'll guess IBUs about 40 with some pithy bitterness. The ABV was 6.5%. I was happy with this as a bedtime brew but would pair with some grilled fish with a fruity and mildly spicy salsa. Solid Cat 2. Not quite as good as their King of Boggle, probably on par with Cloud Surfer and better than the two NEIPAs I had at Trophy a couple weeks ago with fuse, Crown of the Metropolis and Software Glitch.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 16th, 2019, 11:37 pm

Tangerine Suncrush-Suncrush Beverage

Beer #1 from my August beer club 4 pack.

Cansmudge
June smudge 8:18
(I think it's fresh)

"Sparkling ale made with crushed fruit, green tea and natural flavors"

I'm not sure what a sparkling ale is. Cream ale, maybe.

Poured vigorously from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass. Pale yellow-orange hue with a modest, off-white head. Yep, smelled like tangerine juice and tasted like an Arnold Palmer variant with some tannins, oranges, tangerines and maybe a splash of peach juice. Minimal bitterness so I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the ABV was 4% so a pretty refreshing, hot, steamy night thirst quencher. Nice to include in a sampler and happy to have sipped but falls a bit short of a Cat 2. Wouldn't re-visit.

Suncrush Beverage is in Richmond so I wonder if accfanfrom1970 has more knowledge about this brewery...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2019, 1:58 pm

Excellent-the pub is open. I'll start:

Gose Day Ymm, Beer Virtual Pub, hosted by RJ199

Hibiscus Gose-Boulevard (Duvel Moortgat) Brewing Company

Beer #2 coincidentally from my August beer club 4 pack this week.

Twelve ounce can shared 3 ways after hiking about 10K steps/3.6 miles at Mt. Jefferson State Park in (West) Jefferson, NC and working up a moderate thirst.

Pour was a fizzy pink with a bubbly, champagne-like head. Aromas about as expected with sea salt, coriander and hibiscus (well, what I really perceived was salt, spice and flowers; not sure I'd have guessed hibiscus). Effervescent on the palate with mild saline and spicing and floral/flowered-sparkling water. Pretty benign hops-wise, guessing 5 IBUs to accompany the low ABV of 4.2%. Paired nicely with some Muenster cheese toast. This would be a great intro to the style. Fuse Cat 2 and I'm thinking these ratings will be "movin' on up" as the afternoon and evening progress.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2019, 3:51 pm

Citrus Cove Gose-Ballast Point (Constellation) Brewing Company

Another shared 12 ounce canned beer.

CC B 10:24
PKG 02 JUL 19

I think this was another beer club 4 pack member.

Poured a light, fairly clear, golden-yellow with the usually fizzy, quickly-disappearing head. Scents of lemon-limeade with the expected mildly tart/sour, slightly salty finish of a freshly squeezed/blended lemon-limeade with a splash of sugar. IBU likely about 5 and the ABV was 4.2% so it made a nice thirst quencher after another hike in the mountains. Would be tasty with a plate of fruit or some grilled sea creatures. Another pleasant "starter" gose.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2019, 7:47 pm

South Fork Grapefruit Gose (draft)-Booneshine Brewing Company

Pint pour for on a $3 official grand opening special and shared with older daughter and her husband.

Slightly cloudy, light orange-yellow pour with a thin, fizzy head that disappeared as quickly as a "u"nc athlete when someone said, "Class time!"

Mild brine aromas with subtle grapefruit interwoven. Bubbly on the tongue with light lemon and salt flavors, followed by essence of grapefruit. Mild tartness and sourness present, too. This wasn't brewed with juice, rind or pith but rather with the addition of a small amount of grapefruit oil, which allowed the taste to linger on the palate. IBUs at 5 and the ABV was 4.5%. Of the 3 we've had so far today, this was everyone's favorite and made an enjoyable pre-dinner sipper.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2019, 8:56 pm

Gose Day Ymm, Beer Virtual Pub, hosted by RJ199

Superman Punch-Barreled Souls (Saco, ME)

Undated pint can from fuse's beer-cation last month-thanks!!

Three were sharing again, watching the sunset behind Grandfather Mountain from our daughter's cabin in the NC mountains.

Hot pink beer? Again? Yep, and darned pretty, too. A vigorous pour once again brought forth a fizzy, pin, short-lived head. Stuff tasted like Hawaiian Punch or tropical Koolaid with a pinch of salt and a shot of grain alcohol. Minimal bitterness with the 5 IBUs my standard guess for the day. ABV was 4.9%. If I ever bet and won a fruit pie, this might pair nicely with it.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Piña Colada Gose-Destihl Brewery

B1022 11:38
05/17/19

This was another 12 ounce can shared among 3 of us and we were still watching the sunset.

Pineapple-yellow color and the typical head. It does indeed smell and taste like the cocktail with a bit of spice (coriander) and a pinch of salt. Pineapple and coconut milk battle for first lead here with no creaminess that I might expect from the real cocktail. Mildly sour/tart with minimal bitterness, guessing IBUs of <10. The ABV is a shade higher than all the others, rolling in at 5.7%. Grill me some shrimp and scallops with this beer-cocktail.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 17th, 2019, 9:26 pm

Margarita Gose-NoDa Brewing Company

#SHOWYOURCANS
07/03/19 1:34
Batch #1018

As fuse suggested, a comparison is always fun/interesting.

Pint can for $3.50 and shared 3 ways.

My nasal sensors perceived more lime than tangerine and the palate told me lots of lime to start with the finish being sweet tangerine/orange. I was surprised to read/find tangerine as an adjunct. Otherwise, RJ199's above review is quite comprehensive.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 18th, 2019, 7:11 am

Molasses Porter (draft)-Booneshine Brewing Company

Half pint sipped with and after a burger, fries and shared lettuce wedge salad for dinner.

Medium to dark brown pour with a skinny tan head. Chocolate-y and coffee-ish aromas with neither added. Smooth mouthfeel with tastes matching the scents with the dark brown, sugary-sweet molasses coating the palate for the finale. Mild burnt grainy/malty bitterness with 38 IBUs, accompanied by the ABV of 6.7%. Fuse Cat 2.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 18th, 2019, 7:33 am

Final Booneshine brew of the day yesterday:

Ivory Tower White IPA (draft)-Booneshine Brewing Company collaboration with Ivory Tower Brewing to support the AppState Fermentation Sciences ("cheers to higher education")

Full pint special at $3 outdoors to celebrate their official grand opening while listening to a band and playing a very "shortened" and unofficial version () of corn hole with our 3.5 year old granddaughter. I shared this with our older daughter who doesn't like IPAs much but rather enjoyed this one, likely based on recipe of a "light pilsen malt and a heavy addition of white wheat. Ekuanot and Citra hops add notes of citrus and lush tropical fruit."

What'd I experience? A hazy, pale yellow liquid bursting with nose-tickling pineapple, grapefruit, orange, peach and melon through a billowy, creamy foam. Equally juicy on the palate, too. Modest rind-y bite with IBUs probably 40-50 and the ABV at 6%. Solid fuse Cat 2.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2019, 7:14 am

Post-Gose Day gose:

Gonzo Gose-Orono Brewing Company in collaboration with Novare Res

Another Maine beer included from fuse's recent beer-cation. Delicious! Many thanks again!

The contents of this pint can was equally divided and sipped over 30 minutes Sunday evening from a standard pint vessel.

Appearance was slightly cloudy with a light gold-reddish-blue with a thin, fizzy head. Mostly lime and salt up front scents and tastes with the berry flavors appearing a bit later in each sip and finishing with mild brine and more tart/sour lemon-lime and berry. Typical IBUs, thinking 5-10 here and they inform the consumer of the 5.2% ABV very clearly on their bright red label with navy, lime and blueberry playing supporting roles. Easily Cat 2 and would recommend highly.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 20th, 2019, 9:46 pm

Rewind Lager-Birdsong Brewing Company

PKGD 05.29.19 19:10:50
8CrispyBoiz

Pint can included in my August beer club 4 pack.

Very slightly cloudy, pale yellow pour with a smallish, foamy head. Smells like the good Czech pilsner they tried to brew based on the "story" on the can. Tastes match up with their intent, too, with very mild floral bitterness, lightly toasted grains and hints of light brown sugar. IBUs are 22 and the ABV is 4%, both a bit low for pilsners but still in range. I did mow the lawn tonight and take a long, hot, humid walk and this was a pleasant, light-bodied brew that helped quench my thirst. I could also imagine this with a turkey and Muenster sammich on whole wheat toast with some fresh lettuce and tomato and a bit of mayo. Nothing outstanding here but well done for the style so a fuse Cat 2.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 21st, 2019, 10:50 pm

Psychedelic Flow-Sycamore Brewing Company

Drink (sort of) local! (Charlotte)

Pint can from my August beer club 4 bagger.

Pour was a mildly hazy, sunshine golden-yellow with a foamy/creamy head. There are no additives but this smells peachy and mango-y with a bit of dankness. I guess I'll plug this into the standard IPA slot as it's not west vs east coast nor is it a NE or milkshake IPA. Tongue-tinglers include peach, mango, tangerine, rind, pine and honey. I'll guess 60 IBUs and the ABV is 6.9%. Very good IPA that I'd not decline if offered. Certainly worth a try. Fuse Cat 2.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2019, 9:22 pm

Hubris (draft)-Lynnwood brewing Concern

Release party was 8/17 and we already had plans to go(se) to the NC mountains so I was delighted to find this at the brewery today on a 2 block "detour" on the way home from work. Bartender said he was aware of no cans for sale so I got my snifter and made my way to their warehouse dock/porch. Two minutes later he came back with bad news/good news. He apologized for "lying" (bad news) that they had no cans but did call the brewmaster who directed him to the pallet in their storage area where he found many cases of it covered up and was instructed to start loadingthe cooler and he'd have a 4 pack ready for me after I finished my snifter (good news and more good news). I also got to chat with the brewmaster when he arrived for work as I completed my purchase and complimented him on the 2018 and 2019 versions. Snifter and 4 pack were the same price last year and today.

I'm not sure much has changed except the IBUs are down a bit at 50 along with the ABV at 8.4% which, considering its appearance, tastes and advanced metrics, *almost* places this in the NEIPA category. Hops include Amarillo, Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic and the tastes are explosions of citrus, tropical and stone fruits/juices with a pleasant rind-y bitterness. Worth the journey. Easily among the best IIPAs in the state and definitely a fuse Cat 3 again this year.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 22nd, 2019, 9:45 pm

Never Never Found Found-The Veil Brewing Company

06/25/19
03:42:48

With the bolded above, I wonder if fuse got a bad can from the 4 pack I distributed as my pour tonight had a thick, frothy, pale orange head with aromas and flavors closer to RJ199's than what fuse reported. This concoction coated my pint glass like V-8 juice would. The thick, heavy and sediment-y comments are also directly on target but surprisingly, there is no chunk/funk at the bottom of my pint glass as I desperately try to slurp up the last few drops of this gose. I'll guess IBUs of 5-10 with the ABV at 5.1% on the almost microscopic print on the label, as fuse referred to on other Veil beers. Solid fuse Cat 2 which I'd taste again or be very, very willing to try others from their "Never" series of goses.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 24th, 2019, 5:23 pm

A long time ago, in a land not too far away, I got this from a friendly scoundrel.
Still have no idea when I'm going to open it, but my beer fridge's freezer needed a solid de-icing today, and I found it during the thaw. (PS, no beers were frozen during this process.)
Bigfoot.jpg
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 25th, 2019, 1:26 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
August 24th, 2019, 5:23 pm
A long time ago, in a land not too far away, I got this from a friendly scoundrel.
Still have no idea when I'm going to open it, but my beer fridge's freezer needed a solid de-icing today, and I found it during the thaw. (PS, no beers were frozen during this process.)

Bigfoot.jpg
Hopefully, after 13 years of aging, it's "finally" smooth enough to drink...

/:)