Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 12th, 2009, 11:48 pm

bjornolf wrote:
As for Michelle air drumming, you can always rely on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCokF--YKc0

BTW, when I googled it, when I entered Michelle, it's first auto-popup suggestion was "Beadle". How cool is that?
%%-
Very cool video! DinK, when you next speak with Michelle, tell her I said hello (not that she has any idea who the hell I am).
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 12th, 2009, 11:57 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
And the sound was for the whistling emoticon. I think it should whistle Dixie.
The emoticon he actually used was the snoring guy. I think because the whistler isn't working. I'm not sure how to make them make noise though. I'm just guy smiley (Sesame Street anyone?). Maybe we can find a sound expert. ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 4:53 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Drinking Busch beer?

Or would that be Coors?
Coors - aka Colorado Kool-Aid.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 4:58 am

CellR wrote:So my Wake Forest interview seemed to be a success!

It started off pretty normal, my interviewer was the Associate Director of Admissions as well as an Adjunct Professor of Religion. I didn't know about the religion part until afterwards, luckily I said a good deal about my faith during the interview though!

For a good portion of the thirty minute interview we talked about my Haiti experiences (10-15 minutes) and what led me there, as well as why I find service to be such an important thing. I told her about my senior research project about child slaves - "Restavecs" - and the way that my interview with Famela, the child slave, shaped my views about poverty, slavery, society, and the need to help others. I don't know if any of you read the blog that I kept during my trip to Haiti over Christmas break, but if anybody is interested I can post the link. She asked about my academic interests which I answered that I really enjoy History, English, and Science - but most of all, Biology.

She seemed extremely interested that even though my dad is a doctor I still support Healthcare. I think I made it pretty clear that the wellbeing of thousands of other people is more important to me than nice clothes or an extra T.V.

When I asked about studying abroad she told me that her son is in Vietnam right now building a school in the same village that his father bombed in 1969. That's incredible.

Overall, I came away with a very positive feeling of the interview, which was much more than I had hoped for! Thanks for the suggestions and helpful hints. (That was my first real interview) Oh, and afterwards when I was leaving, she said: "Talking to you gives me hope for your generation." :D :D :D :-bd

P.S. Thank you ArkieDukie for telling me to read the newspaper :D She didn't ask a specific question about that morning's paper, but it helped me a lot with current events. I've been out of the loop this summer due to working at camp!
You're very welcome, CellR! It sounds like your interview went well. :-bd :ymapplause: Hopefully the others will go as well.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 4:59 am

CellR wrote:Oh! And at one point during the interview, she mentioned UNC. I took the opportunity to stick my finger down my throat and make a gagging noise. :lol: :lol: :D :D :D \:D/
She chuckled.
Perfect! :-bd :))
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 5:03 am

bjornolf wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:
wilson wrote:i-)
Can you get sound added to that? Bjornoff?

Sorry, what are you looking for sound for?

As for Michelle air drumming, you can always rely on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCokF--YKc0

BTW, when I googled it, when I entered Michelle, it's first auto-popup suggestion was "Beadle". How cool is that?
%%-
Great video! You must be proud, DinK. :-bd
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 5:06 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
CellR wrote:So my Wake Forest interview seemed to be a success!

It started off pretty normal, my interviewer was the Associate Director of Admissions as well as an Adjunct Professor of Religion. I didn't know about the religion part until afterwards, luckily I said a good deal about my faith during the interview though!

For a good portion of the thirty minute interview we talked about my Haiti experiences (10-15 minutes) and what led me there, as well as why I find service to be such an important thing. I told her about my senior research project about child slaves - "Restavecs" - and the way that my interview with Famela, the child slave, shaped my views about poverty, slavery, society, and the need to help others. I don't know if any of you read the blog that I kept during my trip to Haiti over Christmas break, but if anybody is interested I can post the link. She asked about my academic interests which I answered that I really enjoy History, English, and Science - but most of all, Biology.

She seemed extremely interested that even though my dad is a doctor I still support Healthcare. I think I made it pretty clear that the wellbeing of thousands of other people is more important to me than nice clothes or an extra T.V.

When I asked about studying abroad she told me that her son is in Vietnam right now building a school in the same village that his father bombed in 1969. That's incredible.

Overall, I came away with a very positive feeling of the interview, which was much more than I had hoped for! Thanks for the suggestions and helpful hints. (That was my first real interview) Oh, and afterwards when I was leaving, she said: "Talking to you gives me hope for your generation." :D :D :D :-bd

P.S. Thank you ArkieDukie for telling me to read the newspaper :D She didn't ask a specific question about that morning's paper, but it helped me a lot with current events. I've been out of the loop this summer due to working at camp!
Congratulations on what sounds like a very successful first interview!! Sounds like you made a very good impression on the interviewer.

Out of curiosity, what did you think of her? Was she easy to talk to? Did she ask a lot of questions, follow-ons? Did she help carry the conversation?

Be forwarned that they may not all go so well - a lot of the success of an interview depends on the person asking the questions, not just on you being able to answer them well. I would hope that for college interviews, the interviewer is personable, outgoing, and socially conversant. But if you get someone who isn't responsive, isn't giving any visual feedback (looking interested, leaning forward, making eye contact), it'll be a little more difficult. But I would only expect that at UNC! :D :D
DA makes a very good point here: you don't always click with the person you interview with. That's true from the interviewer end as well. Hopefully all your interviews will go as well as your Wake interview.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 5:08 am

This middle-of-the-night PWing session is brought to you by the :-bd emoticon.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 5:09 am

I REALLY hate waking up in the middle of the night.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 5:10 am

On the bright side, I can probably come up with a great string of consecutive posts since I'm the only one logged in at the moment.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 5:11 am

Maybe I'll go to work early and get some stuff done before everyone else shows up.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 5:12 am

Then I could leave early and take pictures at the MoBot or the zoo, both of which close at 5.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 5:13 am

I <3 my new Nikon D90 and will like it even better once I know how to use it!
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 5:13 am

I took some cool pics in Forest Park a couple of night ago, at the lagoon below the St. Louis Art Museum.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 5:14 am

One or two came out as I wanted, but some of the others don't look like they're in focus. I obviously need practice.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 5:15 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Maybe I'll go to work early and get some stuff done before everyone else shows up.
My boss is on vacation this week, so I'm doing a small portion of his normal stuff in addition to my normal work.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 5:17 am

One of my co-workers said that she didn't remember how they got things done before I got there and that it seemed like I'd been there longer than a year. Coming from this particular person, that's a great compliment. :)
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 5:18 am

ArkieDukie wrote:One or two came out as I wanted, but some of the others don't look like they're in focus. I obviously need practice.
I also need to figure out how to use the software that came with my camera so I can post some pics to Facebook.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 5:20 am

Strangely, all I can find is the software to transfer pics and the software to view them. Editing doesn't seem to be an option.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 13th, 2009, 5:21 am

It seems like the white balance is off in some of my pics. There's an adjustment for that on the camera itself.
-- Albert Einstein