LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by wilson » August 12th, 2009, 9:38 pm

OK...the first time I saw the Dell commercial with the guys singing "Lollipop," I enjoyed it, because I rather like that song, and the a capella ensemble on the commercial is actually pretty good.
But man, they're wearing that motherfucker out. I've had enough of it.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 12th, 2009, 9:38 pm

Where's rockymountaindevil? Anybody heard from him?
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 12th, 2009, 9:45 pm

Drinking Busch beer?

Or would that be Coors?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 12th, 2009, 10:10 pm

wilson wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
A mod posted it initially, so I suppose by the standards over yonder, it's okay.

Had a non-mod posted it, I'm certain that it would have gone "poof" quite quickly. I saw 2 words in it that wouldn't have passed the filters on DBR, but because they're contained in a graphic, they survived.
Sorry I'm a bit late. Just started reading CT about 30 minutes ago. Cathy's right. Typical DBR BS double standards.
I'm tempted to go over there and post exactly these sentiments. I obviously don't give a shit what infractions they see fit to slap on me.
I was wondering if anyone had the same thought as I did while I was out on my walk this evening about heading over there and posting those exact sentiments. I am even considering sending a PM to Julio and referencing that thread/post.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 12th, 2009, 10:11 pm

wilson wrote:Where's rockymountaindevil? Anybody heard from him?
I might draw him out with a couple of new beer reviews... :roll: :))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 12th, 2009, 10:12 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Drinking Busch beer?

Or would that be Coors?
Blasphemous!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 12th, 2009, 10:16 pm

Lavabe movin' on up with several days of PW rampaging... :roll:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 12th, 2009, 10:17 pm

devildeac wrote:Lavabe movin' on up with several days of PW rampaging... :roll:
Hey, I just remembered that Rampage was the name of our HS newspaper...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 12th, 2009, 10:18 pm

wilson wrote:Where's rockymountaindevil? Anybody heard from him?
He's on-line right now...

Speak of the devil... :D ;)
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 12th, 2009, 10:52 pm

bjornolf wrote:Hey, DinK, didn't you say your niece was on that new Colin Cowherd show on ESPN2? He just threw her under the bus, showing a clip of her playing "air drums" getting ready for the show. She really got into it too. She was rocking out! \m/ I thought it was cute, myself, but she was rather embarrassed.

%%-
Yep - that's my niece. I can totally see her air drumming. Wish I had recorded today's show.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 12th, 2009, 10:54 pm

devildeac wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:Since I can't say this over yonder, I want to go on record that there are a couple of posters over yonder on the PPB that come across as sanctimonious pricks. Not all their posts but enough to notice. (Of course, this might depend on your viewpoint on the particular issue being discussed.
Just a couple? :oops: :roll: :D
In the past few days in two of the threads - yeah, just a couple.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 12th, 2009, 10:55 pm

wilson wrote:i-)
Can you get sound added to that? Bjornoff?
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 12th, 2009, 10:56 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
How come the emoticon didn't show up in the quote?
Life is good!
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » August 12th, 2009, 10:57 pm

So my Wake Forest interview seemed to be a success!

It started off pretty normal, my interviewer was the Associate Director of Admissions as well as an Adjunct Professor of Religion. I didn't know about the religion part until afterwards, luckily I said a good deal about my faith during the interview though!

For a good portion of the thirty minute interview we talked about my Haiti experiences (10-15 minutes) and what led me there, as well as why I find service to be such an important thing. I told her about my senior research project about child slaves - "Restavecs" - and the way that my interview with Famela, the child slave, shaped my views about poverty, slavery, society, and the need to help others. I don't know if any of you read the blog that I kept during my trip to Haiti over Christmas break, but if anybody is interested I can post the link. She asked about my academic interests which I answered that I really enjoy History, English, and Science - but most of all, Biology.

She seemed extremely interested that even though my dad is a doctor I still support Healthcare. I think I made it pretty clear that the wellbeing of thousands of other people is more important to me than nice clothes or an extra T.V.

When I asked about studying abroad she told me that her son is in Vietnam right now building a school in the same village that his father bombed in 1969. That's incredible.

Overall, I came away with a very positive feeling of the interview, which was much more than I had hoped for! Thanks for the suggestions and helpful hints. (That was my first real interview) Oh, and afterwards when I was leaving, she said: "Talking to you gives me hope for your generation." :D :D :D :-bd

P.S. Thank you ArkieDukie for telling me to read the newspaper :D She didn't ask a specific question about that morning's paper, but it helped me a lot with current events. I've been out of the loop this summer due to working at camp!
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 12th, 2009, 10:59 pm

Oh! And at one point during the interview, she mentioned UNC. I took the opportunity to stick my finger down my throat and make a gagging noise. :lol: :lol: :D :D :D \:D/
She chuckled.
Class of 2014
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 12th, 2009, 11:04 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:

Sorry, what are you looking for sound for?

As for Michelle air drumming, you can always rely on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCokF--YKc0

BTW, when I googled it, when I entered Michelle, it's first auto-popup suggestion was "Beadle". How cool is that?
%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » August 12th, 2009, 11:07 pm

[quote="TillyGalore"

The eyes, err ayes, have it. Bjornolf, you will maintain an emoticon thread. :D :D :D[/quote]

I'll do my best. You start it and get it stickied. Call it whatever you want, as long as it's informative and not OVERLY insulting to me, and I'll do my best to fulfill any requests placed on it.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 12th, 2009, 11:15 pm

bjornolf wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:

Sorry, what are you looking for sound for?

As for Michelle air drumming, you can always rely on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCokF--YKc0

BTW, when I googled it, when I entered Michelle, it's first auto-popup suggestion was "Beadle". How cool is that?
%%-
Thanks for the link.

And the sound was for the whistling emoticon. I think it should whistle Dixie.
Life is good!
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 12th, 2009, 11:30 pm

CellR wrote:So my Wake Forest interview seemed to be a success!

It started off pretty normal, my interviewer was the Associate Director of Admissions as well as an Adjunct Professor of Religion. I didn't know about the religion part until afterwards, luckily I said a good deal about my faith during the interview though!

For a good portion of the thirty minute interview we talked about my Haiti experiences (10-15 minutes) and what led me there, as well as why I find service to be such an important thing. I told her about my senior research project about child slaves - "Restavecs" - and the way that my interview with Famela, the child slave, shaped my views about poverty, slavery, society, and the need to help others. I don't know if any of you read the blog that I kept during my trip to Haiti over Christmas break, but if anybody is interested I can post the link. She asked about my academic interests which I answered that I really enjoy History, English, and Science - but most of all, Biology.

She seemed extremely interested that even though my dad is a doctor I still support Healthcare. I think I made it pretty clear that the wellbeing of thousands of other people is more important to me than nice clothes or an extra T.V.

When I asked about studying abroad she told me that her son is in Vietnam right now building a school in the same village that his father bombed in 1969. That's incredible.

Overall, I came away with a very positive feeling of the interview, which was much more than I had hoped for! Thanks for the suggestions and helpful hints. (That was my first real interview) Oh, and afterwards when I was leaving, she said: "Talking to you gives me hope for your generation." :D :D :D :-bd

P.S. Thank you ArkieDukie for telling me to read the newspaper :D She didn't ask a specific question about that morning's paper, but it helped me a lot with current events. I've been out of the loop this summer due to working at camp!
Congratulations on what sounds like a very successful first interview!! Sounds like you made a very good impression on the interviewer.

Out of curiosity, what did you think of her? Was she easy to talk to? Did she ask a lot of questions, follow-ons? Did she help carry the conversation?

Be forwarned that they may not all go so well - a lot of the success of an interview depends on the person asking the questions, not just on you being able to answer them well. I would hope that for college interviews, the interviewer is personable, outgoing, and socially conversant. But if you get someone who isn't responsive, isn't giving any visual feedback (looking interested, leaning forward, making eye contact), it'll be a little more difficult. But I would only expect that at UNC! :D :D
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 12th, 2009, 11:42 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
CellR wrote:So my Wake Forest interview seemed to be a success!

Congratulations on what sounds like a very successful first interview!! Sounds like you made a very good impression on the interviewer.

Out of curiosity, what did you think of her? Was she easy to talk to? Did she ask a lot of questions, follow-ons? Did she help carry the conversation?

Be forwarned that they may not all go so well - a lot of the success of an interview depends on the person asking the questions, not just on you being able to answer them well. I would hope that for college interviews, the interviewer is personable, outgoing, and socially conversant. But if you get someone who isn't responsive, isn't giving any visual feedback (looking interested, leaning forward, making eye contact), it'll be a little more difficult. But I would only expect that at UNC! :D :D
I thought she was great, she was very easy to talk to and asked great questions. Whenever I slowed down she would keep the conversation going with a follow-up question. Definitely helped carry the conversation. I realize that lots of interviews, maybe even most, won't go as well as that one. It helped massively that we shared many of the same beliefs and thoughts. I really hope that my Duke interview is even comparable to that one!
Class of 2014