Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » February 3rd, 2019, 2:00 pm

Foolery (2017, I think)-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

I sipped 10 ounces of this bad boy last PM from a snifter and, at 13% ABV, that was all I could imbibe.

Poured was almost black and quite viscous with a paper-thin tan head. Oh my, what aromas of semi-sweet chocolate, dark brown sugar/caramel, coffee and booze, none of which were added, except it is aged in bourbon barrels for 12 months. Many waves of flavors followed the rather viscous mouthfeel, dominated by dark chocolate fudge, vanilla (?added), burnt caramel and espresso, toasted coconut, dark/dried berries and cherries (none added), wet leather, tobacco with a very long and warming bourbon finish. IBUs at 60 (who cares with that many flavors?) and ABV as above at a stunning 13%, which was simultaneously dangerously smooth and not hidden at all. I'm looking forward to the remaining 15.4 ounces from the 25.4 ounce (750 ml) bottle of this imperial milk stout this evening over a couple hours most likely.

I am immensely grateful to accfanfrom1970 for including this in one of our trading sessions last fall. A superb beer, that, to the best of my discernment, appears retired based on the Hardywood website.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 5th, 2019, 10:12 pm

Wine Barrel Aged Joco White Tater (draft)-Deep River Brewing Company

Drink local! From Johnston County's first legal brewery .

Spent all my beer money tonight on a pint when I asked for a half pint .

Pour was a cloudy, dark brown with a small head. Very vinous aromas followed by tastes of dark fruits (it's a Belgian-style dubbel made with Johnston County white sweet 'taters) soaked in red wine. Mildly (brown sugary) sweet with earthy/herbal bitterness but not too much, guessing 30 IBUs, maybe less. The non-barrel aged product is 7.8% ABV and this was listed on the electronic beer board as the same but the cans claim 9.1% and that's likely the truth. At $7/pint, it was good and I'm happy to have tasted but I'd buy the pint can for $3.59 next time .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 5th, 2019, 10:54 pm

Winter Porter (Brewed on 01/23/19)-C*rolina Brewing Company ("brewing tasty liquids since 1995")

Drink local!

First beverage from my February beer club 4 pack.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass with a dark brown hue and a modest, tan head. Dark roasted grains on the nose and toasted pumpernickel bread, coffee, dark caramel and some burnt milk chocolate sauce on the palate. I'll guess IBUs about 30 here with the ABV at 5.2%. I *think* this is the first microbrewery in the Triangle area, unless Weeping Radish preceded them. Solid but unspectacular brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 6th, 2019, 10:04 pm

Ruby Lager (bottled on 11/13/18)-Olde Hickory Brewing Company

Drink (sorta) nearby beers!

Beer #2 from my February beer club 4 pack.

I must admit, I was not too excited about an Olde Hickory lager when I received my e-mail that this month's selections were ready but was pleasantly surprised after sipping with ziti and meat sauce for tonight. Not a great pairing but each were good as standalones.

Poured aggressively from a 12 ounce bottle into a standard pint glass and was rewarded with a foamy, slightly off-white head topping a reddish-amber beverage. Nose of toasted grains and tastes of medium brown caramel, flowers, some herbal/earthy hop bitterness and roasted nuttiness. IBUs at 20 and the ABV was 4%. Happy to have sampled the single but wouldn't buy/trade any more.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 7th, 2019, 7:24 pm

Pakalolo (1/19/19 stamped on bottom/side of can)-Sycamore Brewing Company

Drink NC beer!

Beer #3 from February's beer club 4 pack, this one a pint can.

Pour was a hazy orange-yellow with a generous, frothy head. OK, who snuck Dole fruit juice into my beer can? Fresh pineapple-orange-grapefruit juice scents make the first impressions, then mango and peach sneak onto the palate with some rindy/pithy bitterness. I'll guess IBUs at 40 for this NEIPA with the ABV at 6.8%. I almost had a half pint draft while picking up Tripping William's 4 bagger of the Wine Barrel-Aged Joco Tater but chose a Haw River ale instead. This would certainly entice me to try another Sycamore brew or three.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 7th, 2019, 10:30 pm

Hiverna (draft)-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Drink NC beer!

An after work treat today while securing a 4 pack of legal beverage for Tripping William as mentioned above.

A half pint of this was $3 and money well spent. Appearance was a yellow-pear pulp hue with a thin, off-white head. Complex nose with apples, pears and spices with matching palate ticklers plus a bit of funk and a pinch of black pepper. It's an imperial saison so I'll guess the IBUs about 20. The ABV on the electronic chalk board was 8.6% and, after 8 ounces of this, it was rather warming. A description follows from the Bottle Revolution website draft list and I'll let y'all decide if you'd seek this out. I would certainly have another serving of this. It was only on tap tonight so I have no idea about any package form of this.

"Our Imperial Winter Harvest Saison, made with fresh NC-grown organic sweet potatoes and winter squash, and spiced just enough with fresh turmeric root, Indian coriander, Ceylon cinnamon bark and crushed szechuan peppercorns."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 7th, 2019, 11:13 pm

Marshal Zhukov's Russian Imperial Stout (draft)-Cigar City Brewing

Two ounce taster after my Haw River half pint. Couldn't have handled much more than that at 70 IBUs and 11.8% ABV .

Pour was a dark, dark brown with a small, mocha-colored head. I'd have thought pure espresso on a blind (acc ref) olfactory quiz. I'd almost think the same on a taste test but there's some dark chocolate, raisins, leather, black strap and molasses, too. Website give no clues as to any additives. They were our of bottles or I'd have bought one or three. Excellent brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 11th, 2019, 10:39 pm

Curmudgeon's Better Half (8/22/18 on label)-Founder's Brewing Company

A huge thanks to August West for securing a 4 pack of this for me last fall! I believe I'm still on the hook for the $18 he paid for this and some additional $$ for several others he provided during tailgate season. I've got the (freshly printed) cash and/or traders waiting to repay him sometime. Anytime.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Founders snifter (D'oh!) last Thursday. Color was a medium to dark amber with a small, tan head. It's Curmudgeon's Old Ale (or Old Curmudgeon Ale, just like me and my avatar) that has been aged in bourbon barrels that also previously contained maple syrup. It really does smell like bourbon-infused Vermont (none of that New Hamster or Canadian stuff ) 100% maple syrup (where are those pancakes?) and tastes like it, too, along with dark, dried fruits, molasses (added), almonds, vanilla and toasted coconut (none of those added). IBUs of 35 claimed on Untappd and 12.7 ABV on the label and tasted/felt every bit of it, too, taking about an hour to finish this one. Superb beer. I have 3 left for aging and/or trading.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 12th, 2019, 8:15 pm

Passion Fruit Lychee Burst-Wicked InBev Weed Brewing

Drink by 052319
Pkg on 0123/19

"Ale brewed with passion fruit, lychee and beet extract"

(no corn syrup was harmed in the production of this beverage )

Beer #4 from my February beer club 4 pack. It was assigned to me. I had no choice. Sorry, Ymm, Beer readers .

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass yielded a cloudy, pink lemonade-colored brew with a quickly disappearing, fizzy head. Smells like fruited lemonade. Tasted like mildly sour lemon-berry candy. Minimal bitterness, guessing 10 IBUs. ABV at 4.5%. Good but not outstanding sour ale. Happy to have tasted but certainly won't have again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 12th, 2019, 8:32 pm

devildeac wrote:
September 10th, 2018, 9:10 pm
From 6/18/18:
devildeac wrote:From 9/23/16:
devildeac wrote:BA ReDANKulous (draft)-Founders Brewing

Another brewery-only special and I'm very glad I saved this to sip after my brat and German potato salad were consumed. They threw some of this (ReDANKulous):

"This bold, 9.5% imperial red IPA pours a pleasing burnt amber color. Caramalt and roasted barley introduce a subtle sweetness, but the hops are the true headliner in this big IPA. The spicy, piney and tropical complexities of Chinook, Mosaic and Simcoe hops hit you right away with their dank aroma – and they stick around. It’s not just ridiculous. It’s reDANKulous."

And turned it into this:

"*B.A. Redankulous is the last test batch of Redankulous before it became a Backstage beer in 2015, and won that nifty gold medal, and then aged in Oak Bourbon Barrels for 485 days. It gained a delightful bump up in ABV and pours a tad darker shade of reddish brown. Enjoy this Big ol’ B.A. Beauty!"

Damn, this was delightful. Nose of dark fruits and booze before a ruby-brown pour with no head. Tastes of dark, dried fruits, tart cherries, candied grapefruit slices and toasted, dark, wheat bread and a lot of bourbon. IBUs quoted by our server at 85 and the ABV on this is a stunning 12.5%. Forget food with this and send them an email to brew it again and put it into some 4 packs.
From about 10 days ago:

Dank Wood (brewed on 4/10/18)-Founders (cough, heineken, cough) Brewing Company

I thought this looked/sounded familiar when I passed it over the first time I saw it for about $17 for a 4 pack. I was sucked in the second time at $15 for the litter.

Searching out the review from our midwest beer-cation, err, Duke Football journey, about 18 months ago I discovered the above old review/s. Amazing prescience on my part (I wish I had actually sent the email and could take an ounce of credit for it. )

Three of us shared a 12 ounce bottle of this one evening as a nightcap. I think this is very close to the brew from 2016 WRT the color, aromas, mouthfeel and alcohol burn. This would also make a wonderful dessert beer, maybe with some bread pudding. Worth seeking out and buying a 4 pack with one for now and one every 6 months until the carrier is empty.

From last PM:

Dank Wood-Founders(30% heineken) Brewing Company

A bourbon barrel-aged imperial red ale.

From same litter as above so I managed to wait another 90 days to sip again.

It only took 2 of us to knock out this bottle last PM.

Slightly cloudy, dark amber pour with a moderate head. Nose of toffee and caramel with a sticky mouthfeel and toffee-caramel tastes with herbal, earthy hop bitterness. Untapped quotes 65 IBUs and the ABV is 12.2% and dangerously deceptive. Two remain. I'm going to try to keep my hands off for 6 months next time.
From last PM:

Dank Wood (brewed on 4/10/18)-Founders (.3 Heineken) Brewing

Well, I could only my hands off this for 5 months.

I don't think much has changed in this 10 month old BBA imperial red ale. Perhaps a bit smoother with some more bourbon, wood, vanilla and toasted coconut flavors after pondering this post overnight. I think there's one remaining that might last until late spring.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 13th, 2019, 4:53 pm

devildeac wrote:
August 18th, 2009, 10:11 pm
Bridgeport IPA-I have not had one of these in years and forgot how good this ale is. It is a bottle-conditioned IPA with a bit of yeast and malt added before bottling so it continues to ferment in the bottle which adds to the flavor and shelf life. Pours a slightly cloudy yellow and has a slight bit of funk from the yeast, which you can either swirl and include in your pour, or, decant slowly and leave the sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I chose the former. Modest head. The aromas and tastes of a floral bouquet, a bit of cannabis and a very slight palate of grapefruit zest make this a very pleasant session beer. The IBU are modest at an estimated 50-60 so it is not as highly hopped or bitter as a typical IPA and the ABV is 5.5% so it makes a fine session beer and would pair nicely with lightly spiced or seasoned grilled fish or chicken. I bought a 6er of this so I will enjoy 2-3 over the next couple weeks and bring the rest to Brunchgate #1 to share and/or trade. Next up: DFH 60 Minute IPA.
Better buy 'em up while you can.
"Bridgeport announced that its 35-year run was coming to an end, a casualty of poor sales in a crowded craft market that has been more fueled by up-and-coming local brewers than larger established names."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... li=BBnb7Kz
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 13th, 2019, 6:04 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 4:53 pm
devildeac wrote:
August 18th, 2009, 10:11 pm
Bridgeport IPA-I have not had one of these in years and forgot how good this ale is. It is a bottle-conditioned IPA with a bit of yeast and malt added before bottling so it continues to ferment in the bottle which adds to the flavor and shelf life. Pours a slightly cloudy yellow and has a slight bit of funk from the yeast, which you can either swirl and include in your pour, or, decant slowly and leave the sediment at the bottom of the bottle. I chose the former. Modest head. The aromas and tastes of a floral bouquet, a bit of cannabis and a very slight palate of grapefruit zest make this a very pleasant session beer. The IBU are modest at an estimated 50-60 so it is not as highly hopped or bitter as a typical IPA and the ABV is 5.5% so it makes a fine session beer and would pair nicely with lightly spiced or seasoned grilled fish or chicken. I bought a 6er of this so I will enjoy 2-3 over the next couple weeks and bring the rest to Brunchgate #1 to share and/or trade. Next up: DFH 60 Minute IPA.
Better buy 'em up while you can.
"Bridgeport announced that its 35-year run was coming to an end, a casualty of poor sales in a crowded craft market that has been more fueled by up-and-coming local brewers than larger established names."
https://www.msn.com/en-us/foodanddrink/ ... li=BBnb7Kz
This makes me very sad. :(( :((
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 14th, 2019, 9:09 pm

Next Coast (draft)-Goose InBevsland Brewing Company

Two bucks for a 12 ounce draft. Heck yea!

Poured a clear, yellow-gold with a creamy, off-white head. Mixed bouquet up front with a bit more orange and zest than pine. Palate was almost all orange and zest with some grapefruit and melon with a hint of resin. Eureka, Nugget, Mosaic, Citra, and 06277 hops create the IBUs of 40 and ABV of 7% so it's an IPA but what type? Imperial session IPA? Clear NEIPA? De-bittered regular IPA? I'm simply trying to help the new guy out to sell 100 cases or equivalents (yep, the distributor and/or InBev has that requirement of their retailers) so he can get a case or three of the Bourbon County this year .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 14th, 2019, 9:33 pm

Quadruple Barrel Big Bad Baptist (draft)-Epic Brewing Company

Release #2 (from the electronic beer board but not labeled as such on the website)

The owner of Falls Village Wine and Beer was kind enough to pour a two ounce taster for me that I let warm to almost room temperature as I sipped Next Coast.

Highly intriguing, amazing stuff and, at suggested retail of $10 for 12 ounces or $21 for a crowler it should be .

Here's their description:

"We’ve taken barrel-aging to a whole new level by aging shaved coconut, almonds, and Blue Copper’s Colombian coffee beans in fresh whiskey barrels, while our Imperial Stout ages separately in both rum and whiskey barrels. Then, our brewers hand blend each batch creating the most complex and outrageous version of Big Bad Baptist we have ever made." (the "label" also claims roasted cacao)

Pour was onyx with a thin, tan head. Astonishing aromas of dark chocolate, espresso, molasses and booze, followed by tastes of the same plus nuts, Almond Joy and Mounds candies, wood, vanilla, and dark fruits. I'll guess IBUs about 60 based on the style and the stated ABV is 11.2% but it tastes/feels way more boozy than that and I'd have guessed 14%+. Stunning beer. If he'll sell me a crowler of this at 20% off next Saturday, it may travel to Columbus and Chicago with us to share with family. He passed on ordering any bombers of this at $30/bottle as he figured they'd sit for quite a while at that price.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 17th, 2019, 9:38 pm

More for accfanfron1970 as delinquently promised :

Christmas Morning-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Bottle #2 (500 ml) I think from the 2018 GBS Complete Set and shared with younger son-in-law Friday night.

Poured a dark, dark brown with a frothy, generous, mocha-shaded head. Ok, who substituted a cappuccino for my imperial milk stout ? Aromas are almost all espresso and wave after wave of flavors are coffee, too, really masking a subtle, dark chocolate milkshake, honey and vanilla finish with a barely perceptible ginger zing. Beer geek/advanced stats are the same as the original GBS with IBUs at 55 and the ABV at 9.2%, both fairly well hidden. Overall, a very good rating but I think I prefer the original over this variant due to the almost over-powering java presence.

A tip of the tulip to accfanfrom1970 for his brewery visit and pick-up and another to fuse for him and his delivery service finally securing the goods and subsequent meet-up.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 17th, 2019, 10:02 pm

Another Ymm, Beer toast/thanks to accfanfrom1970 for allowing this as a trader at a tailgate last fall:

Double Barrel GBS (2017)-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

An Allagash Curieux for this? Hell, yea! I'll call it a draw

I think this was their first try at aging their GBS in two different liquor barrels. One *might* call it a success .

Large format bottle (750 ml) shared with our younger son-in-law late Friday PM/early Saturday AM, easily taking about an hour to finish. Poured the expected dark, dark brown with a modest, tan head. I'm pretty suspicious this one contained alcohol and a generous amount of it (10.6% ABV). Redolent with dark chocolate, spices, dark fruits and booze. Enticing flavors of brown sugar, molasses, amber honey, vanilla, ginger and dark chocolate coat the palate with a warming, potent dark rum (aged four months) and bourbon (also aged four months) finish. Rum baba meets bourbon balls. IBUs roll in at 55, same as the original GBS, but the ABV bar is raised to 10.6% and it is indeed boozy but not in an over-powering fashion. Superb concoction.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 19th, 2019, 7:19 pm

Christmas Pancakes-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

Another tip of the tulip to accfanfrom1970 for his brewery pick-up and fuse for his long distance delivery!

I think this is beer #4 from the 2018 GBS Complete Set.

It's the original GBS with maple syrup added. Ymm, pancakes/waffles.

I divided the 500 ml bottle over two nights, sipping on the last few molecules as I type. Appearance is dark, dark brown with a thin tan head. Nose is dark chocolate, vanilla, dark brown sugar and maple. Tastes are pretty similar with a hint of espresso (not added) and a very subtle zing of ginger at the end. Dark chocolate and maple shake? Stats are the same as the GBS with 55 IBUs and 9.2% ABV. Another excellent Hardywood offering. I'm going to ponder a hierarchy of the GBS products and post that a bit later this evening. (Hint: they're all very good to excellent)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 21st, 2019, 9:48 pm

Narwhal Bourbon Barrel Aged (2016?)-Sierra Nevada Brewing Company

"This beer is no longer brewed."

One of the older products (I think) from their Trip in the Woods series.

This was a corked and caged 750 ml bottle shared with myself () and divided over 2 nights earlier this week and probably bought at the River Mills, NC facility several years ago for somewhere between $15-20.

Pour was a slightly cloudy, cocoa color with a small, tan head. Nose of baker's chocolate with a mouth feel that was somewhat oily and viscous (it's an imperial stout). Lots of cocoa on the palate to accompany, some semi-sweet chocolate, charred wood, dried/dark fruits, a drop or two of coffee and a fairly soft, smooth bourbon finish. The regular Narwhal is 60 IBUs and that sounds about right for this, too. The ABV however for the BBA version is a potent 12.5%. I like the original version but also greatly enjoyed this variation, too. Here's the ingredient list for the parent "compound," copied and pasted from the SN site:

YEAST Ale yeast
BITTERING HOPS Magnum, Challenger
FINISHING HOPS Challenger
MALTS Two-row Pale, Caramel, Chocolate, Honey, Carafa III, Roasted Barley
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 21st, 2019, 10:57 pm

Wood-Aged Bitches Brew (bottled on 01/12/18 0802)-Dogfish Head Craft Brewery

I'm not sure who to credit for this one .

Here's the DFH explanation:

"Originally brewed in honor of the 40th anniversary of the release of Miles Davis’ 1970 landmark Jazz fusion record Bitches Brew, our ‘remix’ is a gustatory tribute to that analog masterpiece.

Much like Jazz fusion, which blends different musical styles, our Wood-Aged Bitches Brew is a fusion of three threads of Imperial stout aged on oak and one thread of Tej - a native African honey beer - aged on Palo."

I found this hidden in a DFH 4 pack carrier at the back of the top shelf of the beer fridge and, trying to go through some older beers before purchasing some new ones, this one jumped into my grasp this evening . Plus, female canines always remind me of a certain fake university with no morals/integrity .

The 12 ounce pour took about an hour to finish with the first four ounces at garage temperature (about 55 degrees), then fridge temp (about 40-45 degrees), then room temp (about 65 degrees). Probably not much difference except a bit more dark honey at the warmer climate. Color was dark brown and a bit cloudy with a head that was thin and tan. Nose was chicory and unsweetened chocolate. Palate sensors registered the same with some coffee, a bit of licorice, charred wood and dark caramel with a hint of dark/amber honey. IBUs of 38 (I'd have guessed a bit higher, perhaps 50-60 range) and the ABV is 9% so it is indeed in imperial territory. Pleased to have one that's a bit over a year old but happy not to have spent ~$20 on a 6er of these.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 23rd, 2019, 9:15 am

Be Mean to People (no canned on date)-Ponysaurus Brewing Company

A golden rule saison or NC farmhouse ale, both being printed on the can.

Pretty local!

Pint can stolen, err, collected from older daughter and her husband for kiddie and dog-sitting recently.

Poured vigorously into my oversized Ommegang tulip, leaving the last couple ounces in the can (for sipping a bit later) as the head was somewhat voluminous/frothy . Color was yellow-orange-amber with wet straw aromas. Tastes differed as they mellowed into apples, oranges and pears with a bit of barnyard, finishing with a pinch of black pepper. Untapped quotes 30 IBUs, an accurate number or maybe guess on their part. ABV was 6%. This would be very tasty with a plate of fresh fruits or an entree like sweet and sour shrimp or chicken. A very good brew.