Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » December 10th, 2018, 10:09 pm

Bourbon Barrel GBS (2016 or 2017; no bottle dating)-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

I'm not sure of the source for this one as I had two of these but will thank duketaylor and accfanfrom1970 as I'm certain dt got a bottle of this for me that our daughter picked up for me a couple years ago and accfanfrom 1970 brought one to Bull City Burgers and Brews in January (?) this year for me. Thanks to you both!!

This was a 750 ml corked and caged bottle shared last PM with our son. Poured into snifters at fridge temps (too cold), we sipped for about 45 minutes and it became more magnificent as it warmed. Almost ink-colored with a moderate, latte-like tan head. This imperial milk stout even smells outrageous with aromas of dark chocolate (not added), dark, dried fruits (not added), cinnamon, ginger and vanilla (all added) and bourbon. Almost syrupy mouthfeel that was also amazingly smooth. All the aromas match the flavors with some black strap molasses (not added), honey (added) and a drop of espresso (not added). The finish is warm and boozy. IBUs on the bottle are 55, same as the regular GBS. ABV is 10.6%, a bit higher than the 9.2% (IIRC) on the original GBS. Complex and decadent. Liquid dessert, indeed.

I'll thank you guys again next year as I'll save my second bottle until next Christmas most likely.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 11th, 2018, 11:03 pm

Antik (2017)-Jackie O's Pub and Brewery and To Øl Brewery (collaboration)

"The most expensive small bottle of beer I've ever bought"

-devildeac II, Christmas, 2017

This was part of a Christmas gift 6er from our son last year and he asked last month if I had ever consumed it and when I told him, "Not yet," he said, "Why don't you bring it to share in December?" (and he did feel a bit after he asked). So, what's a Dad to do?

Shared with him on Saturday after the BBA GBS. There aren't many brews that would outshine a Hardywood GBS or variant but this is one of them. The 12.7 ounce pour from a capped bottle into snifters yielded a dark, dark brown elixir with a thin, tan head. Amazingly seductive aromas of dark chocolate (not added), dark honey (many gallons added) and bourbon. It's an imperial porter that would easily pass for any BBA imperial stout except it was a bit less viscous. Smooth and silky mouthfeel with almost syrupy sweetness, followed by tasting the aromas of honey and semi-sweet chocolate with black strap molasses, oak, dark caramel and warm, warm bourbon. No IBUs quoted so I'll guess 30. ABV was 12%, probably the highest I've ever tasted for this style. There was no need for any pairing with this. An outstanding beverage.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 12th, 2018, 10:22 pm

Ohio City-Great Lakes Brewing Company

Buy local/while traveling and bring home to drink.

Our son had some 4 packs and 6ers waiting for me this weekend for trading and he did not disappoint.

This is a pretty classic oatmeal stout. Twelve ounce bottle poured vigorously into a standard pint glass. Dark brown color, generous tan head. Smells like charred wood and burnt chocolate sauce but not acrid. Pretty nice tongue-feel, smooth and silky, with dark roast coffee flavors accompanying some milk chocolate and dark caramel. Bitterness from heavily roasted grains, not hops, as the IBUs are 25, a bit low for the style. The ABV is also a tad "underweight" for the style at 5.4%. I sure wish Mrs. dd had baked some Toll House chocolate chip cookies to take to her parents because a couple (or six) of those would be wonderful with this beer. I'm thinking of one old and one older classic brews for the style and they'd be Rogue's Shakespeare Stout and Samuel Smith' Oatmeal Stout, respectively. This one is close but not quite at that level, but, it's likely been 15 years or more since I've had either of those, too, so the memories might be slightly fuzzy. Five remain, available for sharing/trading.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 13th, 2018, 8:32 pm

Cowboy Bernie (brewed on 11/12/18 on label)-Columbus Brewing Company

Buy local, drink at home!

Even after perusing their website, I really have no explanation or understanding of the name (shrugs).

It's an imperial IPA in their long line of IIPAs that include Bodhi and Creeper, both members of the beeradvocate top 100 IIPAs, IIRC.

Poured from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass and was a yellow-bronze color with a large, fluffy head. Wonderful nose of orange liqueur and rind, tangerine and nectarine. Tastes are similar with some grapefruit, pineapple and mango, brown sugar syrup, some oiliness and a bit of an alcohol burn. IBUs quoted at 90-I'd have never guessed that. ABV is 9.3%. his is an excellent addition to their stable and I think I like this better than Creeper and Bodhi, both of which are very, very good when fresh. Three remain from the 4 pack our son purchased before our visit last week and are available...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 13th, 2018, 9:01 pm

Holiday Donut Cookie (11/07/18 stamped on bottom of 12 ounce can)-Platform Beer Company

More local (brought home)!

A holiday milk ale that pretty much resembles its name. Poured a slightly cloudy (if you had this many additives, you'd be "cloudy," too ) Krispy Kreme plain donut color with a moderate, foamy, egg-white colored head. Plenty of spices here up front that tantalize the nose like Mama's Christmas baking used to do. Tasted like a snickerdoodle cookie milkshake. Or did it taste like beernog? A bit too sweet for pairing with any baked goodies. Maybe just leave the fat, bearded guy a can of this on Christmas eve. IBUs at 24 and the ABV was 7%. Ho, ho ho! Ingredients:

Malts: 2 Row, Aromatic, Rye and Honey
Hops: Galena and Saaz
Yeast: American ale
Adjuncts: Snickerdoodle, Vanilla, Cinnamon, Allspice, Nutmeg and Milk Sugar (aka lactose)

A very interesting novel/fun holiday brew. I'll enjoy another from the 6er our son had ready for our visit last week and be happy to share/trade the others.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 17th, 2018, 10:41 pm

Interesting. Fuse started his evening with this one and I finished my "flight" with this one, a fitting way to bid farewell to a Durham institution for a long, long time.

Gypsy Tart 2015 (draft)-The Bruery

I also had a 5 ounce pour. $2. A steal.

Scents of cherry cider vinegar emanate from a slightly cloudy, reddish-brown pour. Mild to moderate acetic/vinegar tastes with some sour apples and sour cherries on the palate. I'll guess 20 IBUs (an oud bruin/Flanders-style ale so sour and not "bitter"). ABV was 8.7%, a standard deviation or two above usual for this type beer. As good as many other sours I tastes, maybe better, and quite comparable to the classic Belgian style.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 17th, 2018, 11:07 pm

En L'Honneur de Toi (draft)-Blackberry Farms

I'd have likely never tried this if fuse hadn't posted several reviews over the last few years about this brewery.

Five ounce snifter pour ($2-another steal) was a mildly cloudy, amber-brown color with a small, tan head. Nose of baked apples and pears with tastes of the same, a bit of funk/sour along with some toffee/caramel, earthy/herbal hops and a drop of coffee, all interesting perceptions from an imperial saison, an unusual style/variant. I'll guess IBUs about 30 and the ABV was 8%. This was my starter beer and paired well with a couple DBR friends.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 18th, 2018, 9:42 am

9 Ladies Dancing 2016 (draft)-The Bruery

Yet another 5 ounce snifter for $2 . A steal. The approach was "let's sample some brews we're likely to never see again" and there was quite a list from which to choose.

This was a Belgian-style strong, dark ale. The pour was a dark, dark brown with a generous tan head. Aromas and tastes played out exactly as anticipated with raisins, dates, figs and dark cherries intermingled with dark caramel, milk chocolate and a warming, dark rummy ABV of 11.2%. I'll guess IBUs about 20 and the minimal bitterness was herbal in nature. This probably should have been the final/dessert beer but made a nice set-up for the oud bruin Gypsy Tart, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 18th, 2018, 10:11 pm

Last evening's night cap:

Prioress (canned 11/20/18)-Southern Pines Brewing Company

Drink fresh. Keep cold. Support local.

SPBC didn't start off on a high note in my glass with some average offerings 2-3 years ago, including Duck Hook and Man of Law. However, since Tripping William has reviewed several (many ? ) of their brews over recent months, I think they've really raised their profile and quality, tonight's beverage included. Now, I don't hesitate selecting one of their offerings. This was the last memb er of my December beer club 4 pack.

It's a milk stout, meaning it's brewed with lactose, but the velvety mouthfeel is further enhanced with oats as one of the grains. A vigorous 12 ounce pour into a regular, boring pint glass showed up a dark brown with a latte-like tan, creamy head. Aromas of dark chocolate and espresso waft upward and the palate is rewarded with semi-sweet chocolate covered coffee beans, neither of which are added to the best of my discernment. There's also some dark caramel, toffee and a hint of burnt grain. IBUs listed at 25 (roasty, not bitter) and the ABV was 5.6%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 18th, 2018, 10:43 pm

Alpha Initiative-Flying Dog Brewery

#04 Brut IPA

Pilot IPA Series

"For optimal freshness enjoy by 01.23.19"

I don't buy many Flying Dog products anymore and had to search the label to find the brewer of this 12 ounce bottle and poured the contents tonight into a pint glass with a bit of hesitation. Quite the pleasant surprise. Color was straw-yellow, head was frothy and large, aromas were fresh squeezed grapefruit juice and tastes/mouthfeel were grapefruit champagne (likely, no such beverage ) and garden flowers leading to a somewhat dry finish with minimal bitterness. I'll guess IBUs about 30-pretty minimal bitterness-with the ABV of 7%.

Trader from fuse last PM and greatly appreciated. Thanks!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 19th, 2018, 10:40 pm

Garden Party (canned 11/15/18)-Mother Earth Brewing

A sincere thanks to fuse for including this in his exchange package on Monday!

He pretty much nails everything as above but it appears my palate sensed some sort of orange juice/rind grapefruit champagne concoction when I had my 12 ounce can last PM. I'll guess the IBUs in the 40-50 range, making this a champagne/brut DIPA. Huh? Is that really a category/style ?

I'm not sure I could/would choose a favorite from the two but should have had them side-by-side for a true/better comparison. Both were very good for the new style brut IPA.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 22nd, 2018, 7:09 pm

From 3/19/18:
devildeac wrote:
March 19th, 2018, 11:12 pm
Old Stock Ale (2015)-North Coast Brewing Company

This would have been nice to side-by-side with the 2014 version with an expert panel and/or family contingent but I settled for consecutive nights, given its 11.8% ABV.

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Founders snifter, it appeared much like the 2014 brewing. Overall, they were pretty comparable with this year's tasting have a bit more brandy/rummy notes and maybe some dark cherry nuances. I didn't look up the IBUs but I'll guess about 30. It was very pleasant as a night cap but I could imagine sipping this with a petite filet, some roasted potatoes and a serving of broccoli au gratin.
From last PM:

Old Stock Ale (2015)-North Coast Brewing Company

Last bottle. <sniff>

Couldn't wait until March, 2019.

Pretty clean, dark brown vigorous pour with a generous, beige head. Toffee/dark caramel nose with warm, boozy tastes along with dark, dried fruits and a bit of milk chocolate. Superb again at about 55-60 degrees from a snifter. Totally worth the $12-14 for a 4 pack to sip now and save the others for another year or two.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 22nd, 2018, 7:31 pm

Bwahahaha (draft)-Oskar Blues Brewery

I do not invent these beer names. Honestly.

A single hop IPA, this one with Michigan Cashmere hops from Hop Head Farms in Michigan.

Pour was a clear, yellow-orange with a frothy, off-white head. Enticing nose of a tropical fruit salad with tastes of pineapple, grapefruit, cantaloupe and orange. Very mild bitterness, guessing 40 IBUs with the ABV at 7.5%. The owner of Falls Village Wine and beer is almost giving this away at $3 for a 12 ounce tulip and $7 for a half gallon crowler. And, as a matter of fact, I did not see this on my final tab after I bought a couple $9 crowlers of BBA Cherry People's Porter (tip of the tulip to Tripping William for noting this had been released) and several other assorted cans/bottles for next week's guests.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 23rd, 2018, 6:34 pm

From last PM:

Face Down Brown Ale (canned 08/31/18)-Telluride Brewing Company

A patient almost always brings back a beer when does skiing, err, business in Colorado and last week was no exception as he dropped by the office and left this 12 ounce can. No HIPAA violation here:rolleyes:.

A vigorous pour into a pint glass showed me a dark brown color and a foamy, tan head. Expected scents of nuts and herbal hops (it was brewed in Colorado but not *that* kind of herbal:p). Dark caramel, almonds, brown sugar, coffee and more herbs tantalized the palate. I don't think any of the flavors were adjuncts. I'll guess IBUs about 30 and will also guess the ABV about 6% as there were no advanced stats on the vessel. Pleasant enough brew but not one I'd seek out as there are likely hundreds of others better in the state. But, a very appreciated gift, nonetheless.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 23rd, 2018, 6:51 pm

Attenuation Maximation (draft)-Compass Rose Brewery

This brewery is 2.1 miles from our house and the trip to meet up with mattman today took 4 minutes. Highly embarrassing that I've never been until today.

This was a brut IPA (probably my second or third) so the 5 ounce pour as part of a 4 beer flight showed up a hazy yellow with a mildly fruity nose and a smallish, fisszy head. Mouth feel was effervescent with a very light body containing floral, citrus and mildly vinous flavors. IBU was 10 so I'm not sure how this qualifies as an IPA. Minimally bitter with the ABV at 6.8%. I'd have another of these and would suggest anyone who doesn't like IPAs should try a brut/milkshake/NE style and possibly change their mind.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 23rd, 2018, 6:56 pm

Devil's Demise Tripel (draft)-Compass Rose Brewery

Dare I state: drink local!

Second 5 ounce sample on my flight was a light amber color with a small head. Nose of light brown sugar, clove, banana and a whiff of bubble gum. Sweet, smooth mouthfeel with similar tastes with a bit of coriander (likely added; the other scents/tastes are not added most likely) and black pepper. Another easy-on-the-palate brew with IBUs at 26 and the ABV of 8.1%. I'd have another of these, too, but would change the name to Devil's Victory or Devil's Triumph .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 23rd, 2018, 9:18 pm

BBA Scott's View (draft)-Compass Rose Brewery

More local!

I don't think it could be more simple than this: take your Scottish-style export ale and drain a few gallons of it into previously used bourbon barrels and let it stew for several months, drain it back into some kegs, hook up a tap to it and dispense to thirsty craft beer fans over the holidays .

Five ounce pour was dark brown with a thin, tan head. Smells like a Scotch ale should: caramel-y, milk chocolate-y and peaty/smoky. Tasted like chocolate-covered dark caramel candy that had absorbed a bit of smoke from a backyard barbecue. The bourbon flavors entered early and lingered through each sip. Pretty easy to please the palate with this one at 20 IBUs and a very smooth, drinkable 7.5% ABV. Food pairings might include a brisket, ribs or a Shepherd's Pie.

This didn't rival Hooligan, a BBA Scotch-style ale at 13% ABV I tasted in the barrel room at Catawba Brewing a couple years ago, but, then again, not many beers would.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 23rd, 2018, 9:29 pm

BBA Black Squall (draft)-Compass Rose Brewery

Fourth and final 5 ounce sample of the afternoon whilst enjoying pleasant conversation with mattman and his special lady. As I responded to MtnDevil, beer is (almost) always better with friends and this session was no different. Happy to welcome them to a "new-ish" brewery in Raleigh. They seemed to enjoy many of the offerings and even planned on taking a $10 crowler or two back to family and/or friends this evening for the holidays.

They took their stock dry oatmeal stout and aged it in Heaven Hill barrels for several months. This gave the almost midnight-colored brew with a small, beige head, woody aromas and tastes with some toasted coconut, vanilla (neither added) and boozy notes. Nice, silky mouthfeel from the oats and the bourbon was moderately warming. IBUs at 48 and the ABV was 7.2%, not quite imperial level but rather potent for a "regular" stout. Highly recommended.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 24th, 2018, 2:37 pm

Pound of Flesh-Haw River Farmhouse Ales

Ahh, the search feature delivers. I figured someone had reviewed this before with the 2 most likely suspects being fuse or TW.

"Barrel-aged sour blonde ale with white peppercorns and white tea leaves." (from memory as I don't have the bottle)

I believe this is a variant now as the 500 ml bottle our older son-in-law shared with me is labeled "barrel-aged" in small font on the label and a bit of Googling (safer than sporking ) mentions wine barrel-aging which makes more sense after tasting.

Poured into a thistle-type glass with no stem. Appearance was slightly cloudy and sunshine yellow in color with a super thin head. Wow, this smells like fresh squeezed lemon juice. Pucker factor is moderate on the palate with a lot of Watermelon Sour Patch Kids/Warheads or Jolly Rancher, sour version (if one exists) as fuse posted. Pickled watermelon rinds (leftovers from a summer watermelon beer they brew with which I am not familiar) are added to the base beer before aging. Mild to moderate amount of brine along with a lot of vinous notes, thinking this was aged in chardonnay/white zinfandel barrels, certainly not bourbon. There's a pinch of white pepper and I really can't discern any tea flavors. I'll guess IBUs of 10 or less and the ABV stated on the label is 7% (with 7.4% quoted on Untappd and 6.8% on beeradvocate). I especially liked this ale but could easily understand a number of factors that would turn one off while tasting. Cost me nothing except a couple hours playing with the grand-kiddies but set the SIL back $12-14 I think.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 27th, 2018, 5:19 pm

Holiday Haze-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Single 12 ounce bottle from their 2018 Snow Pack sampler which was gifted in its entirety by a brother-in-law on Christmas day and he didn't even stay for dinner.

It's a hazy IPA that was an orange-yellow hue with a moderate head after an aggressive pour. Juicy citrus nose, followed by orange and peach juices, grapefruit rind, some tangerine and mango. I'm surprised at this given the hops used (see below). IBUs at 40 (very mild bitterness) with ABV at 6.5%. Two more available for trades. Very good beverage. Ingredients:

YEAST: Ale yeast
BITTERING HOPS: Cascade
FINISHING HOPS: Cascade
MALTS: Pilsner, Oats, Wheat, Acidulated

(caps courtesy of the SN website and my copy and paste )