Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Rolvix » August 11th, 2009, 10:20 pm

wilson wrote:
CellR wrote:I would love to help, but I have my interview at Wake Forest tomorrow! Need to catch some Z's! (-| (-| (-|
How come you didn't tell us? Or did I just miss it?
Anyway, good luck, young sir! Keep us posted on how it goes.
I don't know! I'm sort of surprised I forgot to mention it before!
Thanks!
Class of 2014
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 11th, 2009, 10:20 pm

CellR wrote:Oh, and send me some vibes for tomorrow! :D
(%) (%) (%)
Sending interview vibes.

When I was recruiter my candidates would ask me for advice about interviewing. I would always tell them, don't forget to breathe. When you're asked a question, pause for moment to gather your thoughts before you answer the question.
I worship the Blue Devil!
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 11th, 2009, 10:21 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
(%) (%) (%)
Sending interview vibes.

When I was recruiter my candidates would ask me for advice about interviewing. I would always tell them, don't forget to breathe. When you're asked a question, pause for moment to gather your thoughts before you answer the question.
Thanks for the advice! If anybody has any more, I'll be sure to check before I depart tomorrow. Any pointers/tips would be much appreciated. :-bd
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 10:23 pm

CellR wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
(%) (%) (%)
Sending interview vibes.

Thanks for the advice! If anybody has any more, I'll be sure to check before I depart tomorrow. Any pointers/tips would be much appreciated. :-bd
Eye contact. Don't fidget. Try to avoid "um" and "uh" and the like.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 11th, 2009, 10:25 pm

CellR wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
(%) (%) (%)
Sending interview vibes.

Don't wear your Duke shirt. ;)

Get plenty of sleep tonight. Think of a few questions to ask them before you get there so when they ask if you have any questions you have some in mind.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 11th, 2009, 10:26 pm

CellR wrote:I would love to help, but I have my interview at Wake Forest tomorrow! Need to catch some Z's! (-| (-| (-|
Best of luck with the interview, CellR!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 11th, 2009, 10:28 pm

CellR wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
(%) (%) (%)
Sending interview vibes.

You might want to avoid mentioning your cyberspace buddies. :D
Life is good!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 11th, 2009, 10:28 pm

Shammrog wrote:Summer really is the hottest time of year.
Sham - don't take this the wrong way, but that is prophetic!!!! :-bd
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 11th, 2009, 10:29 pm

Shammrog wrote:And usually hotter than spring or fall.
Ya think? :-o
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 11th, 2009, 10:30 pm

I'll be heading to NY state for a wedding this weekend. While there, I want to go visit the cemetery where some of my ancestors are buried. Does anyone have any tips on tomb stone rubbings should I want to attempt them?
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 11th, 2009, 10:31 pm

cl15876 wrote:
Shammrog wrote:And usually hotter than spring or fall.
Ya think? :-o
Since I didn't run my ac for about half of July, this year may be the exception to this.
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 10:33 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:I'll be heading to NY state for a wedding this weekend. While there, I want to go visit the cemetery where some of my ancestors are buried. Does anyone have any tips on tomb stone rubbings should I want to attempt them?
I find that crayons work really well for rubbings, but obviously you don't want them in bright purple or anything. Try selecting a darker or neutral color. Also, those big, coarser-type artists' pencils can work really well. You don't really need thin paper; in fact, regular-gauge paper is better, because it holds up better.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 11th, 2009, 10:34 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Yay, I bought a new computer today. Yay!
Was IT pink? :D
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 11th, 2009, 10:35 pm

CellR wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:
(%) (%) (%)
Sending interview vibes.

I did scholarship interviews in a former life as a faculty member at a liberal arts college. We were always more impressed with people who were informed in current events. One of my colleagues used to ask his interviewees to tell about a story they had read in the newspaper this morning and what they thought about it. Don't know if they do that sort of thing in admissions interviews, but it couldn't hurt to glance at the newspaper or watch the news before going. I always liked to ask about a favorite book or what they had been reading recently. Another favorite was a historical figure they'd like to meet and why.

Oh, and I agree with DinK about the Duke shirt. :)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 10:36 pm

cl15876 wrote:
My brother got an iPhone today. I'm kind of jealous. If Verizon finally gets them later this year (as is widely rumored at the moment), I'm on it.
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » August 11th, 2009, 10:38 pm

wilson wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:I'll be heading to NY state for a wedding this weekend. While there, I want to go visit the cemetery where some of my ancestors are buried. Does anyone have any tips on tomb stone rubbings should I want to attempt them?
I find that crayons work really well for rubbings, but obviously you don't want them in bright purple or anything. Try selecting a darker or neutral color. Also, those big, coarser-type artists' pencils can work really well. You don't really need thin paper; in fact, regular-gauge paper is better, because it holds up better.
Thanks for the info. I have sent my luggage already so I don't have to check it or carry it on the plane. I wasn't sure of the paper so put in some tracing paper and some sketching paper and charcoal. I thought about crayons but didn't trust them in a vehicle for multiple days - afraid I would end up with a ball of wax on the outfit I was going to wear to the wedding. I may try to get some and carry them with me on the plane.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 11th, 2009, 10:41 pm

wilson wrote:
I'll second wilson's suggestion of the artists' pencil. I did a rubbing with a graphite pencil that was about the size of a crayon; the rubbing ended up looking pretty cool. A crayon would also work well, though. Take both and see which one looks best.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 11th, 2009, 10:43 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
wilson wrote:
Thanks for the info. I have sent my luggage already so I don't have to check it or carry it on the plane. I wasn't sure of the paper so put in some tracing paper and some sketching paper and charcoal. I thought about crayons but didn't trust them in a vehicle for multiple days - afraid I would end up with a ball of wax on the outfit I was going to wear to the wedding. I may try to get some and carry them with me on the plane.
Oh, and the sketching paper works pretty well, too. That's what I used. I would guess that tracing paper might be a bit too flimsy. Could be wrong, though.

Have a great trip!
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 11th, 2009, 10:43 pm

wilson wrote:
cl15876 wrote:
My brother got an iPhone today. I'm kind of jealous. If Verizon finally gets them later this year (as is widely rumored at the moment), I'm on it.
I have an iPhone now and don't know how I got along without it before.
-- Albert Einstein
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 11th, 2009, 10:47 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: I have an iPhone now and don't know how I got along without it before.
The only thing that worries me is the prospect of loving it too much. I'm liable to be fiddling with that motherfucker all the time.