Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » December 30th, 2017, 11:59 pm

Moloko (8-4-17)-Three Floyds Brewing

Poured from a bomber into snifters and shared three ways tonight.

Dark, dark brown appearance with a moderate mocha head. Nose of heavily roasted grains and some semi-sweet chocolate morsels. There's more semi-sweet chocolate on first taste and subsequent tastes detect a hint of licorice (fuse has a great palate), a lot of black strap molasses and slightly burned pumpernickel toast. IBUs are 30 and ABV is 8% so it's really an imperial milk stout. No pairing. A liquid dessert aperitif . That came with the next beer which will be an AM review tomorrow.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 31st, 2017, 8:30 am

From 1/22/15:
devildeac wrote:Skillet Donut Stout-Burial Beer Company

Dark fudge coffee. Or maybe coffee infused dark chocolate fudge. I divided this 750 ml capped bottle that ricks68 kindly delivered last week over the last couple nights. Poured a slightly thin, almost black hue with a huge coffee nose from the 50/50 blend of cold pressed Hologram and Big Trouble coffees from Counter Culture Coffee (as stated on Burial's website). Bottle says 9 malts, website says 6-row Pale malt, along with Nugget hops, oats, milk sugar (lactose), molasses, and surprisingly, no chocolate. But this sure tastes like semi-sweet dark chocolate morsels with a handful of raisins. I think they serve this at the brewery with a chocolate donut hole. It'd also be delicious with any other chocolate or caramel dessert or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Liquid dessert also works. Comparable to Founder's Breakfast Stout but not quite in the same league as their KBS, but you never know what a few months of bourbon barrel aging might do to this ale. IBUs stated as 60 and ABV at 8% and served at about 50-55 degrees as suggested on the bottle. They claim this will be canned in early 2015 so I can imagine the demand for this may be rather high.
From last PM:

From last PM:

Skillet Donut Stout-Burial Beer Company

Pint can from fuse from early September, 2017 after a trip to the mountains. Our daughter, her husband and I shared the contents after our sipping the Moloko.
Thanks!

I think 3-4 months in a can did not add to/improve this beer as I thought it a bit thinner and more coffee-like than the fudgy brew I described above. Still an excellent concoction but any future canned products will be consumed in a more timely fashion. Plus, we each nibbled small brownie squares instead of the Asheville connoisseur recommended/approved manner of accompanying our beverage with a donut hole from Vortex Donuts.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 31st, 2017, 6:52 pm

Bourbon Barrel GBS (2014)-Hardywood Park Craft Brewery

As duketaylor quoted beeradvocate several years ago when the original GBS was realeased: “Freagin’ Christmas in a bottle.” Well, this one was aged in Virginia bourbon barrels for 12 weeks.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

I think this was a 750 ml corked and caged bottle our daughter picked up from duketaylor about 1.5 years ago when she and some friends visited the Richmond area. However, it could have been a duketaylor "leftover" from a 2016 or 2017 tailgate.

Pour was at 50 degrees and shared among 3 people. Color was dark mahogany with a generous, foamy, tan head. I had some reservation when the end of the cork was a bit black but the aromas and tastes indicated no spoilage. Nose was dark chocolate (not added), vanilla and ginger. Tastes were vanilla (added) first, followed by a hint of ginger (added), dark and sweet honey (also added), a pinch of cinnamon (added), dark caramel (not added) and a rather subtle, warming bourbon finish. Mouthfeel was amazingly smooth and silky. IBUs were 55 with minimal perceived bitterness. ABV was a dangerous 10.6% as this was an amazing sipping beer, likely even moreso after 3 years of "cellaring." A truly outstanding and decadent brew and I'm just as happy to have received a 2017 bottle from accfanfrom1970 after his journey to the f$u game yesterday.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 31st, 2017, 7:43 pm

Raspberry Tart-New Glarus Brewing Company

My last 750 ml bottle as it's now packaged as 4 packs. Shared with Mrs. dd, younger daughter and her husband (the devildeac Chicago area delivery service) as a fruited "champagne" before a dinner salad and a New Year's Eve party. Always worth another mention. Hope it's just as good in 12 ounce bottles .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 31st, 2017, 7:43 pm

Serendipity-New Glarus Brewing Company

Happy Accident Fruit Ale

The story:

"Severe drought, we shared the farmer’s horror as Wisconsin’s cherry crop failed! Dan bought what cherries he could. The Apple crop fared better. Then joy! A grand Wisconsin cranberry harvest. What will Dan brew with Apples, Cranberries and Cherries? Oh my! You hold the happy accident of Wisconsin’s favorite fruit aged in oak with an almost magical wild fermentation. Serendipity is a wondrous celebration that sparkles your senses and dances across your palate. A kaleidoscope of flavor discovered by accident in a sour ale!"

I'll buy that the first time but this is now a year round product and has been for several years but, I guess it's their story and they're sticking to it .

Alcoholic fruit juice? Fruited, low alcohol "champagne?" Y'all buy some and be the judge. It's worth the price and journey because...

"Only in Wisconsin"
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 3rd, 2018, 10:35 pm

From 4/28/16:
devildeac wrote:The Abyss (released 12/17/15) -Deschutes Brewery

Fuse mentioned a while ago that he felt intimidated by reviewing a legendary beer and that's how I feel about this one. I've heard about it for 5 years, maybe more, but never had the chance to purchase until this month, getting a nice shipment from a store in the midwest and I divided a bomber over the last 3 nights and sipped each sampling at cellar temperatures over 30-45 minutes each, thereby allowing them to warm a bit more during the tasting.

It's an imperial stout that is 21% aged in oak bourbon barrels, 8% in oak barrels and 21% in oak wine (pinot noir) barrels. Poured almost pitch black into an Allagash 250 ml tulip with a creamy, tan head that lingered longer than I would have expected. Rich aromas of heavily roasted malts, espresso, dark chocolate, dried dark fruits, red wine and a whiff of whiskey. Tastes as complex as the aromas, if not more so, with oak/wood, less espresso than expected (none added), black strap molasses (added), black licorice (added), blackberries, tannins, prominent vinous notes with a very subtle bourbon finish. Vanilla is also an ingredient but I missed that taste. No way I'd have thought 86 IBUs but their website states this and the ABV is a dangerous 12.2%. I'm not a licorice fan but this was extremely well done and balanced and not over-powering as I recall Uinta's Labyrinth was 2-3 years ago. Another very decadent concoction. The stamp on the label states "Best After: 12/08/16" but I couldn't wait another 7-8 months on this one. Luckily, I still have 11 more bombers...
From tonight:

The Abyss (released 12/17/15)-Deschutes Brewing Company

See above.

Bottle count down to four now.

Even more complex at 2+ years after release. I think there's a bit more molasses and bourbon now, perhaps a bit more red wine and dark chocolate with a tolerable amount of licorice. This is a really, really big beer, so much so that I'm dividing my 750 ml bottle over 3 nights this week. Dessert? Yes! Pairing with a six ounce filet or a ribeye steak? That'd work well, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 4th, 2018, 9:08 pm

When the Lights Go Out-Sun King Brewery

Buy local (then bring it home across several state lines and drink almost 6 weeks later)!

Another round of applause (and beer) for luburch for the Sun King Brewery suggestion when we visited over Thanksgiving. Thanks!

This is their seasonal coffee porter. Nothing special/fancy, just a well brewed quality beer with coffee added. Poured from a 12 ounce can into a standard pint glass yielded a tan head with a moderate amount of foam. Coffee is the first scent, followed by heavily roasted grains and then some cocoa. Tastes were the same with a bit more milk chocolate than cocoa and perhaps some dark caramel. IBUs of 23, a bit low for the style, with ABV at 5.7%, pretty standard for a regular porter. It paired really well with a pulled pork sandwich and a mixed green salad tonight for dinner.

I think that's it for my Sun King assortment. I'd go back there in a minute if/when we visit again for a sampler and some more packaged goods. The several we tasted from their limited/reserve/small batch series were excellent. The others sound like they'd be outstanding, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 5th, 2018, 11:22 pm

Coffee Is For Closers-Fullsteam Brewery

Pass the cream and sugar! Wait a minute, it already has milk sugar (aka lactose) listed as an ingredient .

Pour from a 12 ounce can, generously gifted by fuse last year, well, last month, was a dark brown with almost a milkshake thick, tan head. Enticing aromas of dark roast coffee with some dark chocolate. The coffee tastes were not as bold as When The Lights Go Out and I think I like the bit more subtle coffee flavors here. There's heavily roasted, almost burned grainy tastes, a splash of cream/sweetness, some dark milk chocolates (or should that be milky dark chocolates) and a swizzle of dark caramel. IBUs on the scale at 36 and the ABV is 6%, both a bit higher than the Sun King coffee porter. This was wonderful with a large bowl of Mrs. dd's home made chili tonight but would also be at home with a slice of chocolate cake, too. An outstanding concoction. Thanks again to fuse for sharing one of his favorite brews!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 7th, 2018, 10:11 pm

From 11/9/16:
devildeac wrote:From 12/8/15:

2015 Narwhal-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Drink local/regional!

Poured a dark brownish-mahogany-ruby from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass with an almost latte-colored, foamy head. Aromas of baker's cocoa, dark chocolate and espresso with matching tastes, perhaps a touch too much coffee presence to make my top 10 RIS stout list but a really solid entry into the field. I think I got this for about $11 with my buck off coupon at Total Wine several weeks ago and wouldn't hesitate buying again. IBUs still listed at 60 and ABV at 10.2%. I've got 3 more for sharing/trading over the holiday season. Pairs with the usual suspects or wonderful alone. I'm really anxious to taste the BBA edition of this that ricks68 picked up earlier this fall and delivered at the Pitt tailgate. Here are the ingredients:

YEAST Ale yeast
BITTERING HOPS Magnum, Challenger
FINISHING HOPS Challenger
MALTS Two-row Pale, Caramel, Chocolate, Honey, Carafa, Roasted Barley

From last PM:

Narwhal (2015))-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Shared with our younger daughter. I don't think much has changed after a year in the bottle. Perhaps a bit smoother but still a ton of coffee and dark chocolate notes. Big, big beer. Sip slowly and enjoy.
From last PM (1/6/18):

Narwhal (8/5/15 bottling)-Sierra Nevada Brewing

All the above still apply. No damage done with another 14 months of aging. I think the "cellaring" has given it a bit more dark chocolate tastes than coffee. I may pop open the 2015 BBA version Tuesday after a night of call tomorrow.

Not sad to see this disappear as I think it's readily available annually, thinking I saw it in the last couple months at a Harris Teeter .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 7th, 2018, 10:22 pm

Hatchet-Booneshine Brewing

Buy local! Drink at home!

The last of my coffee porter trilogy started last week with this being another gem gifted by fuse during our last meet-up. Thanks!

Pour from a 16 ounce can was dark brown with a large, creamy mocha head. Enticing aromas of iced coffee. Mouthfeel of a coffee/chocolate shake. Almost. Tastes of dark roast coffee, milk chocolate, dark caramel syrup and some dark fruits. Brewed with molasses, too, and I guess I may have perceived some of that also. But, there's also the power of suggestion . IBUs listed on their web page at 38, about what I would expect. ABV on the can was 6.0% and on their web site was 6.7%, not really perceptible. Dessert alone or with some chocolate chip cookies.

I don't think I had a favorite of the three and would buy any of them again.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 9th, 2018, 10:35 pm

Clutch (2016)-New Belgium Brewing

Technically, a collabeeration between NB and a rock/heavy metal band named Clutch.

From their Lips of Faith Series, this is a wood-aged, sour, imperial stout .

I couldn't resist this bomber (delivered by our son about a year ago) last PM and sipped it slowly over about 90 minutes.

Pour was a dark, dark mahogany with hints of ruby and appeared with a small, mocha head. Nose of funk and dark chocolate. First tastes were mildly tart and sour. Next impression was some more dark chocolate and the final tastes were dark cherries and caramel and some more sour. Does Sour Patch Kids make a sour cherry candy? I'll guess IBUs about 30-40 and the ABV on the bottle was 8.1%, though some old on-line reviews claim 9.5%. Would be pleasant as an after dinner "cordial" or serve with some Black Forest Cake or a slice of raspberry cheesecake.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 10th, 2018, 8:14 am

From 9/29/15:
devildeac wrote:Always worth re-visiting:

Olde School Barleywine (2009 bottling)-Dogfish Head

I divided this five year old, 12 ounce bottle over 3 cooler nights last week and sipped from a cordial glass. Poured an almost syrup-y, medium amber with basically no head. Nose is booze, syrup and dried fruit, which is no surprise as it's fermented with dates and figs. It really tastes like a dark fruit syrup with a bit of caramel or brown sugar added. The ABV of 15% (no typo ) masks the high IBUs of 85, which I would have never guessed. Should be served slightly chilled. I wonder what this would be like with a small slice of Black Forest Cake or Turtle Cheesecake (scratched chin). I think I have one bottle left which I'll try to forget about until next fall...

#6 from GT Brunchgate:

Profuse thanks again to August West for graciously/generously sharing this 12 ounce bottle with a 2014 date, IIRC. Not much different than the above review with a viscous pour, prominent notes of dates, figs, some medium to dark brown sugar and sherry. Incredibly smooth at 85 IBUs again and 15% ABV, the NC legal limit. Minimal booze warmth. Buy it, share it and age it. I think I have 2 vintage bottles that'll have to appear at a later tailgate this year.
From last PM:

Olde School Barleywine (2007-no typo)-Dogfish Head Craft Beers

I forgot I had this 2007 bottle and regret not sharing it with our son during his Christmas visit. But, I also remember he doesn't like barleywines, so more for me!

I have no idea when/where this was purchased.

All the above comments in prior reviews still apply to this 10-11 year old bottle, especially the NC legal 15% ABV () so I'm dividing this 12 ounce bottle over 3 nights of slow sipping.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 11th, 2018, 10:33 pm

S'More-Saranac (F. X. Matt Brewing Company)

Yes, it really did taste like the graham cracker, marshmallow, milk chocolate campfire treats.

Pour from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass revealed a dark brown hue with a moderate, tan foamy head. Aromas of milk chocolate, biscuits and vanilla. First taste yielded sweet vanilla, then milk chocolate, a hint of coffee and finally some crackers (D'oh!). IBUs of 22, a bit low for a porter, with ABV at 6.2%, a pretty standard number. Overall, it was a bit too sweet for me but it was reasonable balanced. It'd make an interesting pairing with ribs but would fine as a stand-alone dessert or with, wait for it, S'Mores! Really. An office employee bought a 6er and drank one and left the remainder of the litter under my poinsettia last month.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2018, 8:18 am

Limoncello (draft)-Deep River Brewing Company

From Johnston County's first legal brewery. (Hey, they even print that on their cans.)

Two ounce taster while waiting for a limited release draft and 4 pack of cans of another of their brews at a tap takeover at Bottle Revolution last PM.

Pour was sunshine yellow with a small head. Pungent nose of lemons with tastes of freshly squeezed and minimally sweetened lemonade with a bit of lemon zest added.
Quite sour and tart but not Destihl Brewing level sour. A very appropriate name for the brew as it made me think of the liqueur and also hard lemonade. I'll guess IBUs about 10 and the ABV was 5.4%. This would be quite pleasant sipped on a warm/hot summer day. On a porch. In a rocker. Waiting for the chicken or fish to finish grilling.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2018, 8:33 am

Black Chocolate Stout (2016)-Brooklyn Brewing Company

The last from the cellar, having side-by-sided the 2014 and 2015 a couple months ago and running out of reservoir space and hepatocytes that night to taste the 2016 along with the other two years .

Poured black with a thin, tan head. Nose, as always, of dark chocolate and tastes of the same along with some heavily roasted grains (gluten-free), dark caramel and hints of coffee. I think IBUs are around 60, maybe a bit higher. The ABV has been 10% for many years now. Sadly, I think I'll retire this from my long time beverage list as I think I've had one almost every year for over 20 years with my first taste being at an early World Beer Festival (?) at the Durham Omni Hotel (?) in about 1996. Still available for winter 2017-18 at about $15 or less for a 6er, a really good beer at a really good price.
<sniff>
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2018, 9:53 pm

Abby's Amber Ale-Double Barley Brewing

I guess this is Johnston County's second legal brewery.

Beer #2 from my January beer club 4 pack. The first was S'More, previously reviewed.

Pour was a copper-amber hue with a small off-white head. Brown sugary, biscuity nose. Light caramel, nutty and toasted bread tastes (gluten-free, AFAIK ) with some herbal/earthy hops. IBUs listed at 31.7 (really? IBUs with a decimal point?). ABV was 6%. Both advanced metrics would be considered high normal for the style. Better than Fat Tire. Would pair nicely with burgers, ribs and grilled/BBQ chicken or pork sandwiches but I doubt it would save that dried out hunk of flesh that fuse described on some other thread .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2018, 11:05 pm

From 9/7/17:
devildeac wrote:From 4/30/15:
devildeac wrote:Original tasting/review 6/1/13:

Quad (2013 version)-Weyerbacher Brewing

I am not sure why this is a quadruple. Could be 4 malts, 4 yeasts, 4 hops or 4 fermentations. Or all of the preceding. The style is really similar to a Belgian dubbel but it is a bit lighter in color (medium-light brown) with a small head and a nose rich with dark, dried fruits like raisins, dates and figs and tastes to match. Most ales of this style have candi sugar and this tastes no different with the presence of light brown sugar and rummy notes, too. I'd guess the IBU to be about 30 and the ABV is higher than a dubbel or tripel (but not for a quad) at a stunning 11.8%, so pull out your snifter, let it the brew warm a few minutes on the counter and enjoy as your dessert. I found this as a 4 pack at Total Wine a couple weeks ago for about $3.96, not the usual $14 and even had the price checked at the register and, when verified, returned and added a second 4 pack to my cart. A very good ale to age and quite cheap at $0.99 each so very well worth the purchase.

Last night's tasting:

Last bottle of the litter :(( :(( . This aged well as it remained clean/clear with a very small amount of sediment in the last few drops, most of which I was able to avoid. Enjoyed lightly chilled in a large Ommegang tulip over about an hour, though it was so smooth sipping that it took a lot of discipline to stretch out the time that long. I may make a visit to Total Wine this weekend to see what's on their "last chance" shelf that I might procure at a nice price. Certainly worth a 4 pack with one for now, one to trade and a couple to age for a year or two.
From tailgate yesterday:

Quad (1/7/14)-Weyerbacher Brewing

Yep, 7 words for 4 beers: Peach Tripel, Dave's Not Here, Tango and Quad. All dangerous at 8.2, 9.3, 10.6 and 12% ABV respectively .

Just as good, if not better than it's bottling date in 2014, but perhaps not as good as it would have been on the second date stamped on the bottle neck of 1/7/19.

Many thanks to August West for saving this one for us.

Not sure I have much to add to my 2013 and 2015 tastings. This really is an amazing ale, fresh or cellared for 1-5 years.
From tonight:

Quad (11/6/14)-Weyerbacher Brewing

Bottling date is correct as I could clearly read it on the neck of the bottle this evening so I'm not sure whether the date above was smudged or if the 4 high ABV beers at tailgate last fall affected the vision .

Pour was a muddy, dark brown with a thin head and a bit of "chunk" in the last few drops, most of which I avoided. Aromas of dark, dried fruits and tastes of raisins, dates, figs, brown sugar and a bit of dark rum. There's minimal bitterness with a smooth, almost syrupy mouthfeel/consistency. I'll guess IBUs around 30 and the ABV is 11.8% and it took almost an hour to finish this elixir from my Founders Brewing Company snifter just a few minutes ago. Yet another liquid dessert but might be enjoyable with some dark or milk chocolate covered caramels or any dark, dried fruits.

August West gets the applause here for saving and sharing this one!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 17th, 2018, 8:12 pm

Collaboration Without Representation Red Wine Barrel Aged With Cherries (draft)-Deep River Brewing Company

Limited release, draft only, along with a coffee version. It's a bit puzzling and I should have asked the brewery rep the questions if extra coffee was added to this version which I didn't taste and if wine barrels were used instead of bourbon barrels in the version I tasted.

Pour was thick a black with hints of ruby. Very thin head. Aromas of cabernet sauvignon, dark chocolate, berries and cherries. Thick, oily mouthfeel with the tastes matching the aromas. Pretty vinous overall, a highly desirable feature. I'll guess IBUs about 30-40 (Untappd claims 18 and I call bovine shenanigans as they also label it an English mild ale and it's clearly an imperial milk stout with several additives) and the ABV is highly dangerous at 12.8% as it's amazingly smooth and sippable. A decadent liquid dessert. A half pint was $5.50 for either variant and the "regular" was $5 for 8 ounces . Pint cans were $7 each plus tax.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 17th, 2018, 9:50 pm

Big Pond-Finch's Beer Company

Talk about struggles in the craft beer industry:

https://www.brewbound.com/news/finch...shipping-april

I guess it's been close to 2.5 years since I've had a Finch's beer and now I understand the reasons: 1) They're not local. 2) They've had trouble finding a permanent location. 3) The 2 ales I've had are kinda pedestrian.

This was beer #3 in my January beer club 4 pack and was a blonde ale. Pour from a 12 ounce can was a slightly golden-yellow (blonde maybe? D'oh!) with a modest, fizzy head. Citrusy nose and tastes of oranges and tangerines, no doubt from the featured Mandarina Bavaria hops (no other varieties are listed), a relatively new variety first released in 2012. There's a bit of sweetness and very mild floral bitterness. IBUs listed on the can are 20 and the ABV is 5% so more of a spring/summer beer. Pleasant enough to try but will not appear on the list labeled "try again."
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 18th, 2018, 9:55 am

From 8/19/17:
devildeac wrote:From 3/7/17:
devildeac wrote:From Sunday/Monday nights, about a half a snifter each evening:

Bourbon Barrel Quad 2016 (best by 9/8/18 on bottle)-Boulevard Brewing Company

Now available as 4 packs of 12 ounce bottles (maybe $15 after my buck off Total Wine coupon last month), a much more consumer/price friendly way to sell beer.

Same bouquet from my Alewerks snifter with very similar tastes so if doesn't appear they altered the "formula" too much, especially considering the IBUs and the ABV are identical. Truly outstanding product at a much better price than the $16-18 I recall seeing on the 750 ml format. Plus, I don't have to share my small bottles (-kidding-I've got 3 left and intend to save 1 for a year and share/trade the others most likely)
From last PM:

Bourbon Barrel Quad (same bottle dating)-Boulevard Brewing Company

Well, I saved it less than 6 months so now it's a bit less than a year old .

All you would expect from a Belgian-style quad and bourbon barrel aging with a moderate foamy head and aromas and tastes of booze-soaked raisins, dates, figs with some (lots?) of brown sugar and a bit of rumminess. IBUs at 26 and I think the ABV was a dangerously sippable 11.8%. Now there are 2 bottles remaining. What to do, what to do...
From last PM:

With 5-6" of snow on the ground, I figured out what to do with one of my two remaining bottles last night .

From last PM:

Bourbon Barrel Quad (date on bottle is 09SEPT2018)-Boulevard Brewing Company

I'm not sure if they suggest 3 or 5 years of "shelf life" for this product so the actual bottling date is somewhere from 2013 to 2015.

Similar appearance and bouquet from my Founders snifter but with very little head. Tastes were slightly "off" but not overly foamy or spoiled. Unfortunately, there was some sediment that I didn't leave in the 12 ounce bottle but it really didn't spoil my enjoyment after I allowed it to warm for about 15 minutes and most of the "chunk" had time to settle. Flavors of dark, dried fruits were still prominent with perhaps a bit more "wood" and toasted coconut during this sipping. I'm guessing the final bottle makes it to a tailgate this year, but no promises :p