Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » March 21st, 2017, 10:58 pm

French Toast Stout (draft)-Wicked Weed Brewing

Breakfast at 6 PM . :ymblushing:

Couldn't resist a stop by Bottle Revolution after a busy, mildly stressful couple days of work, especially when I saw this on their draft list.

Half pint for $3.50. Not a bad price. Pour was a opaque brown with about a 10 bubble head. Cinnamon, vanilla, chocolate and maple syrup from the top of the cup with matching tastes throughout my slow sipping as it warmed over 20 minutes. There may have been a hint of coffee and dark, slightly overcooked dark caramel. I'll guess 40 IBUs for this imperial stout with an 8.8% ABV on their electronic beer board. Delicious by itself. You could also pour this on your pancakes, waffles or French toast this weekend. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 21st, 2017, 11:09 pm

Bourbon Barrel Aged French Toast Stout (draft)-Wicked Weed Brewing

A nice second helping from the evening breakfast buffet. (Well, this was only a 2 ounce taster because at 10% ABV, I'd have slept on their bench outside for an hour or three had I bought another half pint [$5] or pint [$10] of this. @-) )

Even darker, smoother and richer than the non-BBA version. The BBA adds some vanilla and very toasted coconut flavors to the brew along the expected whiskey tastes. I'll guess the IBUs about the same. I wouldn't pour this on any cooked/griddled breakfast items but it'd be a fabulous 9 AM tailgate beverage. ;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 22nd, 2017, 10:06 pm

Black Balsam Porter-Innovation Brewing

Drink regional!

Many thanks to ricks68 for delivering this about 6 weeks ago.

The bomber was divided over 2 nights and was about $5-6, a very fair price. Poured a dark brown with a smallish, tan head. Mild aromas of coffee and milk chocolate and moderate tastes of the same to match. I have no ingredient list so I don't know if any balsam was added in the brewing process but I could be talked into a bit of pine in the finish. IBUs were 30 and the ABV is 5.5%, both standard fare for the style. I'd pair this with a half rack of ribs, some brisket or any portion of grilled bovine creature, rubbed and medium rare, please.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 22nd, 2017, 10:22 pm

Circumnavigation Double IPA-Innovation Brewing

Yet another fine reason for Ymm, Beer. Discussion/debate/comparison. Yes, I am slow/late again . :ymblushing:

My nose and taste buds whisper "pineapple, tangerine and mandarin orange slices" to me. But, the power of suggestion with "coconut" certainly makes me consider this as one of the flavors, too. Pour was from a bomber and divided over two nights. Color was a hazy, orange-yellow, head was moderate and creamy. There was a bit of tropical and citrusy juicy sweetness in the body and the finish is somewhat bitter as my fellow beer nerd/knurd observes above. IBU are 80 and the ABV is 8.2% on the label (but 8.4% on their website). I should have paired this (instead of the Black Balsam Porter) with the couple spicy chicken soft tacos I had for dinner tonight.

Another nice drop from ricks68 last month at about $9-10 for the bomber. Thanks!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 27th, 2017, 10:15 pm

Tough to compete with a Scotch barrel aged Abyss but I'll give it a try.

Black Note Stout-Bell's Brewery

A rare one but I was able to obtain a single last September from the Bottle Revolution lottery as a beer club member and couldn't restrain myself any longer last Thursday night.

Pour was almost black with a thin rim of a head in my Founder's snifter. Aromas of dark chocolate fudge and bourbon. Mouthfeel was a bit thin but the rich tastes of semi-sweet chocolate, a bit of espresso with a warming, bourbon finish made this worth the somewhat spendy acquisition cost of $6 for the 12 ounce bottle way easier to handle. I'll guess 50 IBUs and the ABV on the bottle was 10.8% and a very dangerously sippable BBA imperial stout. A decadent dessert in a glass or round up the usual chocolate and/or caramel suspect baked goods to accompany. Not sure I'd get 4 of these for $24 but certainly worth a single to enjoy shortly after buying or waiting 6-12 months to consume like I did.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 27th, 2017, 10:30 pm

Dead Guy in a can? Gotta be a joke in there somewhere.

Dead Guy Ale-Rogue Ales

I haven't had one of these in a decade or more and was happy to see a 12 ounce can included in my March beer club 4 pack.

Pour was a very slightly cloudy orange-yellow with a single finger, eggwhite head. Mildly earthy, bready nose with butterscotchy, floral, toasted, bready tastes. It's a Maibock style lager and the IBUs are a tad high at 40 but the ABV is in line with the style at 6.8%. Would pair nicely with BBQ chicken, lightly spiced ribs and, of course, almost any type of burger.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 29th, 2017, 7:45 am

From 3/12/16:
devildeac wrote:From 3/28/15:

Dragon's Milk Bourbon Barrel Stout-New Holland Brewing

It ain't from Asheville so I think ricks68 picked this up on a whim after having it on draft from one of his (many) favorite watering holes. I usually divide a bomber of a high gravity ale over two nights but this one was consumed over two halves last PM. Poured a dark brown with a modest light tan head. The body/texture was a bit thin for a stout but the tastes were not. Aromas were cocoa, vanilla, wood, bourbon and a whiff of coffee, though it is not an ingredient. Tastes were heavily roasted grains up front and matched the aromas pretty closely with a mildly boozy finish. Glacier and Nugget hops provided little bitterness and an IBU rating of 31. Grains included 2 row, Munich, Caramel, Crystal, Black, Chocolate malt and flaked barley and drove the ABV to 11%. Vintage date on this was 2014 with no month specified. I don't drink many New Holland products but this will make me look again when I see them on the shelves and try some of their other products.
Thanks again to ricks68 for selecting this and including it in his recent delivery.

From last PM:

Dragon's Milk BBA Stout (2015 vintage)-New Holland Brewing

I don't think the recipe has changed much since the 2014 vintage above. Three of us raided his beer fridge (on more than one occasion) before (and after) his arrival last PM to his surprise 70th birthday party and we were quite happy we did. So the bomber was divided fairly equally among 3 of us in our tulip glasses and all partakers were very impressed with all the features above with a warm, boozy middle and finish.

Thanks to ricks68 for leaving this in his beer fridge for our arrival .
Dragon's Milk BBA Stout (2014)-New Holland Brewing

Many thanks to ricks68 for including this in last month's delivery!

From a bomber I'm dividing over 3 nights. Pretty similar to the top review above but perhaps a bit smoother and some dark caramel and toasted coconut flavors after another year of cellaring. Better on Monday night than last night but the wine cork I used to seal the bottle did a very respectable job preventing oxidation and preserving a reasonable amount of carbonation. Somehow, I think this was <$10 for the large format bottle, a nice drop given the BBA, high quality and ABV of the product.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 1st, 2017, 3:55 pm

Best I could do. There aren't many 20K milestones/events/photos but I will make it a devil of a review.

From 12/31/11:

Samael's Oak-aged Ale (batch 5, April, 2009)-Avery Brewing

Ahh, where to begin with this fabulous brew. Not sure it "fits" into the English strong ale category as Avery describes it but I'd have difficulty with characterizing it as any other type brew either. Guess it has features that make it resemble an IIPA, barleywine, Belgian triple and strong ale. And a sherry. Pours a slightly cloudy golden-orange hue with little head. Most ales this strong have next to no carbonation due to the high ABV, in this case not the 14.5% as they list on their site but an astounding 16.45% so it is pretty boozey but not fiery. The IBU are 41 so it is not a hop bomb but has some citrus notes of grapefruit and orange. Significant amount of malty sweetness (with Turbinado sugar added in the brewing process) in the form of light caramel and tofffee but not overly cloying. I split a 12 ounce bottle ($8 or 9) with my son one night this week to celebrate the Christmas season and all the children being around for several days with their new spouses, and his fiancee. Served slightly chilled in wine glasses, this makes a great after dinner drink or nightcap. I have 2 of these left, enjoying 1 last year to celebrate the 2010 NC (but I can't find my review anywhere. Unless I traded one with CB&B :ymblushing: .) and plan on keeping the other 2 for additional celebrations in the near or even distant future .

From last PM:

Samael's Oak-aged Ale (April, 2009 label/bottle dating)-Avery Brewing Company

It's the future and this bottle is mine, all mine.

Part of Avery's Demons of Ales Trilogy, along with Mephistopheles and The Beast.

Four ounces poured into a cordial glass at cellar temperature. Every bit as good as above, if not better after another 5+ years in the bottle/cellar. It really does resemble a dessert wine and is even boozier (not Boozer) than I remember. There's a fair amount of wood/oak perceived with this sipping but no bourbon as the label says oak chips added but not BBA. Also reminds me of an "imperial" Samichlaus which is "only" 14% ABV but more viscous/syrupy and smoother. Another ale that if you ever see and it's $10+/12 ounce bottle, you should purchase 4-6 bottles, sipping 1 each year for the duration of your supply.

Respectfully submitted for 20K credit at ricks68's urging/suggestion/insistence,

devildeac

Many cheers to all who participate on Ymm, Beer and DBR in general!!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 1st, 2017, 4:32 pm

Deadwood Nitro (draft)-Lonerider Brewing

Two ounce sample after Mongo.

Dark, dark brown with a foamy, foamy head that took 15 minutes to disappear from my small sample. A lot of dark chocolate with a bit of booze on the nose with more dark chocolate, dark dried fruits, a dash of espresso and a very warming, whiskey-ish finish. IBUs listed on Untapped as 54, pretty standard for a RIS, with ABV on the electronic beer board and also on Untapped at 9.5%. I'd have greatly enjoyed a half pint of this after Mongo but I had no designated driver. A very good offering from the often pedestrian brews from Lonerider in Raleigh.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 1st, 2017, 5:54 pm

Chocolatized (winter 2016/17)-Pisgah Brewing

More liquid dessert in a glass.

Almost black pour with a modest mocha head. Sensuous aromas of semi-sweet chocolate and heavily roasted grains. Tastes of almost-burned, dark caramel, a little black strap molasses, more chocolate, hints of coffee and a warming, alcohol finish without any barrel aging. Estimated IBUs of 50 and the ABV on the bottle is 11%. I've got the other half of a bomber to finish tonight and may go hunting some brownies, blondies or chocolate chunk cookies to nibble with it.

Many thanks to ricks68 for including in his February delivery!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 3rd, 2017, 9:22 pm

My starter:

Tropical Torpedo-Sierra Nevada Brewing

Take this stuff:

YEAST Ale yeast
BITTERING HOPS Amarillo
FINISHING HOPS Mosaic, Citra, El Dorado, Comet
MALTS Two-row Pale, Munich, Honey

Throw it in their hop Torpedo (whatever that is) and you pour a golden-yellow liquid with a creamy head and a very enticing tropical fruity nose and a burst of mango-y, pineapple-y, papaya-y (huh?) and even peachy (yea, it's not a tropical fruit ) goodness with a moderate bitterness (IBUs of 55) that is very well-balanced with a honey finish and an ABV of 6.7%. I'd almost say this is an IPA for folks who don't like IPAs as it's rather fruity without the piney/resiny bitterness. I just finished my 12 ounce bottle and am happy to have bought a 6er for $10 yesterday at Harris Teeter , with hopefully fuse taking 3 (I think he'll like this) and sharing/trading/sipping the last 2 with family next week.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 4th, 2017, 10:17 pm

From 6/3/16:
devildeac wrote:Tripel Overhead Bourbon Barrel Aged-Mother Earth Brewing

Drink local!

Poured with a modest head that disappeared quickly and was a cloudy orange-amber color with a lovely nose of orange zest, flowers, a pinch of black pepper from the Belgian yeast, and a bit of booze. Tastes match the aromas along with some vanilla, oak and lightly toasted coconut from the barrel aging and moderate sweetness from the likely addition of candi sugar to the brewing process. I'd guess the IBU in the 30 range as it is a tripel and the ABV was 9%. Outstanding brew whether sipped by itself or accompanying a plate of fresh fruit or a fruit tart dessert.
From last PM:

Tripel Overhead BBA (bottle dated 4/4/16)-Mother Earth Brewing

This is such a good beer fresh and it's held up well after 1 year of cellaring. It might be a bit smoother now with a bit more prominent vanilla flavors and perhaps a tad more coconutty than 9 months ago with the BBA remaining fairly subtle. Great memories of Total Wine mis-marking this and being able to secure 4 packs for a bit under $6 each for ricks68, Tripping William and myself instead of at the correct price of $18 .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 4th, 2017, 10:58 pm

From 2/24/17:
devildeac wrote:Bodhi (draft)-Columbus Brewing Company

Limited availability IIPA with apparent ticketed bottle sales only at the brewery. Our son and I shared pints of this and Head Hunter, the best IPA in Ohio from Tripping William's link above. Interesting that he liked the Bodhi better and I preferred the Head Hunter, but not by much.

There was a bit of a chill haze to the gold-yellow pint of ale with a small, meringue-like head. Pungent tropical fruits up front, followed by mango, papaya, pineapple, grapefruit and a drop of pine on the palate. Somewhat surprisingly, really well-balanced with IBUs of 90 (can't remember where I read this but their website is a bit difficult to negotiate), with ABV at 8%. Very nice pairing with some Cajun chicken, dirty rice with sausage and bacon and a side of fire-roasted corn at Winking Lizard Tavern. If I find a 4 pack of this over the weekend, I'd buy it in a heartbeat.
From tonight:

Bodhi-Columbus Brewing Company

Guess what I found in Columbus?

Pretty comparable to the draft. Perhaps a bit less pungent but still very fresh from a 12 ounce bottle dated 2/20/17. ABV a wee bit higher at 8.3% in the bottle version. Not so limited any more as I think they had a large number of cases at the Kenny Road Market when we visited 6 weeks ago. Looking forward to fuse's review of this...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 8th, 2017, 9:37 am

Fourth Ale-State Quad IPA (draft)-Preyer Brewing Company

(Hey, killerleft, if you're reading this, what can you tell us about this new brewery in Greensboro?)

Listed on the electronic beer board at Bottle Revolution yesterday afternoon as a triple IPA, not even the two tapmasters working could figure out the dilemma of the Quad name and the triple IPA sub-title.

Pour was a slightly cloudy, light amber-orange with a thin head. I could almost sense the hop oils emanating from my half-pint portion ($3.50). Scents were citrus rind, fresh pine and butterscotch/caramel. Mouthfeel was both oily and almost syrupy and borderline palate scorching upon sipping as the IBUs (source: Untappd) were 100 ). Ultimately, I thought it was reasonably well balanced as the ABV was 11% so there were bitter elements of grapefruit and other citrus juices and rinds, along with some resin to accompany moderate malty/grainy and caramel-y tastes, but not quite cloying. Booziness became more prominent as a I sipped this over about 30 minutes.

Make no mistake, this is a really big beer given the high IBUs and ABV, probably one of the higher end combos of anything I've ever tasted, and, not for the faint-tongued. It's certainly worth a single serving for the adventurous soul, especially if you'd like to help me figure out why it's a Quad IPA, sub-titled as a triple IPA that has features of an American barleywine.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 8th, 2017, 12:31 pm

Chocolate (draft)-Mother Earth Brewing

Well, we didn't make it to the release party as suggested by fuse but I did have a 2 ounce sample after my review above.

Pour was a dark brown with a modest, creamy, mocha head. Ahh, the perception of milk and dark chocolates from the cup, followed by more chocolate and cocoa to blend with dark caramel, a wee bit of coffee, a hint of vanilla and some very subdued whiskey flavors from the BBA made this a highly tasty sipper. I'll guess IBUs of 30 as it's an imperial porter and the ABV was on the beer board and their website as 10%, so I was easily able to drive home and then take a Friday afternoon nap . Round up your usual chocolate and/or caramel desserts or pair with some fresh berries. I think it's pretty spendy, thinking $18 for a 750 ml bottle, making the 4 pack of BBA Tripel Overhead at $18 seem like a bargain.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 9th, 2017, 10:23 pm

From 5/26/13:
devildeac wrote:Gaelic Ale-Highland Brewing

Drink local #2!

Poured a bit darker than the pale ale I just reviewed, so it was a medium amber and had a bit more piney nose and palate with a bit more caramel maltiness as the IBU were a bit stiffer at 30 and the ABV likewise at 5.6% Technically, it's an amber ale, I guess, but is kind of a blend between that and a Scottish style ale with a hint of smokiness in the aromas and tastes. Solid brew to accompany the pasta and fruit salads, burgers and Hawaiian teriyaki chicken. Another six ounce sample shared with family. I also had a 12 ounce bottle of this about mid-week during an after hours office meeting.
From tonight:

Gaelic Ale-Highland Brewing Company

This was a single 12 ounce can from my April beer club 4 pack. A bit difficult to believe it's been almost 4 years since I had one of these. Impressions tonight are a bit different than 2013 as it appeared a but more hoppy but the IBUs are the same and the ABV is essentially unchanged at 5.5%. There was less of a Scottish style ale flavor to this rendition and a wee bit more of a pale ale/amber ale hybrid perception.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2017, 7:09 pm

Star-Rye Braggot (draft)-Compass Rose Brewery

Why? Because there's no Ymm, Mead or Ymm, Braggot threads .

I'm not sure if this is their product or a collaboration with Starr Hill (?) brewery in VA. Or, a braggot made with rye. I oughtta drive 2 miles from my house to the brewery tonight or tomorrow and ask them . Noble intentions to visit but never taken the short jaunt.

This was a 2 ounce sample before my half pint of KBS about an hour ago as a 10% ABV was all I needed before the high gravity KBS. Pour was a medium amber with a small, tan head. Given the style, I'm surprised there was any foam at all, guessing there was a modest amount of ale mixed/blended/brewed with the mead. It was slightly cloudy with a sugary/syrupy nose. Bitterness was minimal with no IBUs listed either on Taphunter or the Bottle Revolution electronic beer board. I'll guess maybe 10 IBUs. Almost syrupy consistency with pronounced honey-ish/caramel-y tastes and lightly toasted grains. Pairings? Maybe chicken breast or a hunk of grilled salmon with bourbon-BBQ basting?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 10th, 2017, 11:15 pm

The Shroud-Burial Brewing

Fuse does it again. Beats me to a re-visit and kills it on the review.

One of my favorite styles, a Belgian style dubbel, aged in Malbec barrels with dates. Slightly cloudy, ruby-brown pour with a thin head from a 750 ml capped bottle into a couple of goblets (shared with devildeac II) and sipped with an assortment of cake slices from Delicious Bakery in Greensboro. Dark fruity nose, and lots of dark, dried fruits soaked in red wine throughout our portions. I'll guess IBUs about 30 and the ABV is "only" 7%.

A tip of the tulip to ricks68 for including this in our February beer meeting.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 11th, 2017, 7:29 am

From 9/21/14:
devildeac wrote:KBS-Founder's Brewing

Espresso cups (credit to TNTDevil) and KBS for our Brunchgate dessert/s. Heavenly. This was my next to last 12 ounce bottle of this imperial stout from about 5 years ago (no date on the bottle) and I'm not sure I've seen it since. Poured an inky black with a moderate mocha head and shared 4 ways. Gorgeous bouquet of dark chocolate, espresso and bourbon (barrel/cave-aged for a year) with identical tastes. Thick/viscous/oily on the palate so the flavors lingered tantalizingly. Rich, roasty and boozey with IBUs of 70 and ABV an amazing 11.2%. Fabulous combination with about an ounce of decadent, gooey dark chocolate and coffee-flavored fudge with a dark chocolate-covered coffee bean on top. I think this was about $20 for the 4 pack and that was a few years ago. Well worth the cost if you ever find this April release anywhere.

From last PM:

KBS (draft)-Founders Brewing Company

Kentucky Breakfast Stout. Decadent.

Eight ounce pour ($5.50!) at Bottle Revolution, about 1.5 blocks from my office. Freshly tapped.

Appearance: Darn near black
Head: Moderate, foamy, mocha
Aromas: Espresso, baker's chocolate
Mouthfeel: Viscous, chewy, fudgy
Tastes: Huge amounts of dark cacao, espresso, over-toasted pumpernickel bread, roasted figs/dates and a warm, mildly boozy finish
IBU: 70
ABV: 11.8%

Worth the hype? Yes, as I uncommonly search for rare beers and will splurge on a find like this a few times a year, especially as a beer club member at Bottle Revolution that's a 2 minute walk from my office. How did that help here? They sent an email out last week announcing their lottery: Pick up your ticket after 4 PM and that allowed you to buy 2 bottles (just under $6 each for 12 ounces) after 5 PM. So, after my draft and 2 bottle purchase, I chatted with the owner and saw several tickets were unused and almost 2 cases unsold (they received 3) and inquired if I could purchase 2 more. He said, "Sip your draft and come see me in about 10 minutes. Should be no problem." Fifteen minutes later, the 4 pack was discretely complete. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » April 12th, 2017, 8:15 am

Ginger Wheat-The Unknown Brewing Company

It's still NC beer month so Bottle Rev included this 12 ounce can in my April beer club 4 pack. Pour was a mildly cloudy, orange-amber color with a 2 finger, foamy head. Mild ginger aromas and some lemon, orange and more ginger in the tasting. Minimal bitterness, guessing IBUs of 20 with 5.1% as the stated ABV on the can. I'd still prefer a can of Fullsteam Cack-A-Lacky and I'm scared to try one of the Not Your Father's Ginger Ales or any other hard ginger ales so this would not be one I'd re-visit. Not bad but not worth another purchase.