LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Lavabe » August 9th, 2009, 7:41 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:How long will it be before my gut flora converts back to my American diet?

All I can say is... ^#(^ ^#(^ ^#(^ ^#(^ :-q
For your sake (and also for ILJ), hopefully sooner rather than later.
I suppose that beer would be helpful in returning my gut flora back to normal. :D

OH GREAT... I now expect a 10 post/5 word total response from devildeac. ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2009, 7:45 am

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:What Ted Drewe's did you have last night, Arkie? :D

Do you think St. Louis is a baseball town? ;)
Yet more blasphemy: yes, St. Louis is a baseball town, but I am not yet a baseball person. I know who Pujols is, but that's about it.
You are missing out on what is perhaps the most important social scene in the city.
Probably so. I will likely go to a Cards game sometime, just so I can say that I've been.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2009, 7:46 am

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:How long will it be before my gut flora converts back to my American diet?

All I can say is... ^#(^ ^#(^ ^#(^ ^#(^ :-q
For your sake (and also for ILJ), hopefully sooner rather than later.
I suppose that beer would be helpful in returning my gut flora back to normal. :D

OH GREAT... I now expect a 10 post/5 word total response from devildeac. ;)
Hmmm ... wonder what beer would be best for that? (paging devildeac, devildeac to the LTE)
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2009, 7:52 am

bjornolf wrote:Um, re-read. I've gotten two, now three posts out of this. DD has gotten 6. If the VERY last thing in the post isn't a %%-, I didn't write it.

Oh, wait, my bad. I missed the "could've" in there. I thought you said I DID get. But see, that's my point. Everybody CALLS me such a PW, but I don't do that kind of stuff.

See, I just used "edit" to fix what I wrote wrong. If I were DD, I would have gone in and added another post to fix my mistake and ended up with two, maybe three posts out of it. ;)

%%-
Maybe we need some ratings more in line with those that are used for academic journals. For those not in the know, scientific journals are ranked by impact factor. That's probably true in other disciplines as well. One of the criteria is number of people who cite articles from the journal. Wonder what would happen to our poster rankings if they were suddenly changed to reflect, not only the number of posts, but the number of times a particular poster was cited? :-?
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 9th, 2009, 7:56 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
bjornolf wrote:Um, re-read. I've gotten two, now three posts out of this. DD has gotten 6. If the VERY last thing in the post isn't a %%-, I didn't write it.

Oh, wait, my bad. I missed the "could've" in there. I thought you said I DID get. But see, that's my point. Everybody CALLS me such a PW, but I don't do that kind of stuff.

See, I just used "edit" to fix what I wrote wrong. If I were DD, I would have gone in and added another post to fix my mistake and ended up with two, maybe three posts out of it. ;)

%%-
Maybe we need some ratings more in line with those that are used for academic journals. For those not in the know, scientific journals are ranked by impact factor. That's probably true in other disciplines as well. One of the criteria is number of people who cite articles from the journal. Wonder what would happen to our poster rankings if they were suddenly changed to reflect, not only the number of posts, but the number of times a particular poster was cited? :-?
Just trying to bump up your impact factor, Arkie. :-B
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 9th, 2009, 7:58 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Maybe we need some ratings more in line with those that are used for academic journals. For those not in the know, scientific journals are ranked by impact factor. That's probably true in other disciplines as well. One of the criteria is number of people who cite articles from the journal. Wonder what would happen to our poster rankings if they were suddenly changed to reflect, not only the number of posts, but the number of times a particular poster was cited? :-?
How about what happened when devildeac cited three of his own posts? :-\ :-$

Self-citation shouldn't count.

Yet ANOTHER contribution to the ArkieDukie impact factor. :-bd
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 9th, 2009, 7:59 am

Quality over volume?

That doesn't fit into the PW playbook.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2009, 8:02 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Quality over volume?

That doesn't fit into the PW playbook.
No, it does not. When I was in a tenure track position, a respected advisor told me to "publish crap, publish often." I didn't do that, which is why I'm no longer in a tenure track position. Just goes to show you: there are PWs in academia as well. :-B
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2009, 8:03 am

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Maybe we need some ratings more in line with those that are used for academic journals. For those not in the know, scientific journals are ranked by impact factor. That's probably true in other disciplines as well. One of the criteria is number of people who cite articles from the journal. Wonder what would happen to our poster rankings if they were suddenly changed to reflect, not only the number of posts, but the number of times a particular poster was cited? :-?

However, I can cite you citing me, which indirectly contributes to my citation factor. :-B :-B
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 9th, 2009, 8:05 am

My longest tenure anywhere has been 5 years. Employers are now becoming concerned about that. (I've had a two year average the last 3 positions.) I blame it on my military brat upbringing.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2009, 8:05 am

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:

%%-
Just trying to bump up your impact factor, Arkie. :-B

Thanks for the help, Lavabe! I don't have quite the impact factor of you and devildeac, but maybe some day I can get to that level. ;) :-B
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 9th, 2009, 8:06 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

However, I can cite you citing me, which indirectly contributes to my citation factor. :-B :-B
There was an ABBA song that had similar lyrics.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2009, 8:09 am

YmoBeThere wrote:My longest tenure anywhere has been 5 years. Employers are now becoming concerned about that. (I've had a two year average the last 3 positions.) I blame it on my military brat upbringing.
I have a similar problem. The last time (and probably THE last time) I applied for tenure-track academic positions, I was dinged because I hadn't been anywhere for longer than 6 years. Hopefully I can change that here; unfortunately, my boss will likely retire in a few years. Who knows what effect that will have on my employment.

I can't think about that now. I'll think about it tomorrow. After all, tomorrow IS another day. (where's the Southern Belle emoticon when you need it?)
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 9th, 2009, 8:11 am

YmoBeThere wrote:There was an ABBA song that had similar lyrics.
However, I can't remember the song and am deeply disturbed that I remember the lyric.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2009, 8:12 am

YmoBeThere wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote: How about what happened when devildeac cited three of his own posts? :-\ :-$

There was an ABBA song that had similar lyrics.
Would that be, "Citing Me, Citing You"? =)) :-B
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 9th, 2009, 8:13 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I can't think about that now. I'll think about it tomorrow. After all, tomorrow IS another day. (where's the Southern Belle emoticon when you need it?)
I believe you have just now used a lyric from Hootie and the Blowfish.
:-s
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 9th, 2009, 8:14 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:My longest tenure anywhere has been 5 years. Employers are now becoming concerned about that. (I've had a two year average the last 3 positions.) I blame it on my military brat upbringing.
I have a similar problem. The last time (and probably THE last time) I applied for tenure-track academic positions, I was dinged because I hadn't been anywhere for longer than 6 years. Hopefully I can change that here; unfortunately, my boss will likely retire in a few years. Who knows what effect that will have on my employment.

I can't think about that now. I'll think about it tomorrow. After all, tomorrow IS another day. (where's the Southern Belle emoticon when you need it?)
6 years is an eternity...

There was a Bond film titled Die Another Day.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 9th, 2009, 8:16 am

Apparently you are also in the knowing. I actually thought the lyric was saying...but then I might have been confusing with LR. Ugh...trying to purge this stuff from my brain.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 9th, 2009, 8:18 am

CathyCA wrote:We need to paint it before the washer and dryer arrive this week.
Take a look at your drier receptacle - easiest done now when there is no drier in front of it. Does it have 3 or 4 holes for the plug? I'll explain why I want to know when I see you next Saturday at our gathering.

Now to go back and read the 3 pages I skipped to post this. I missed a lot going to sleep early last night - y'all were very busy being PW's! B-) B-) B-)
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 9th, 2009, 8:22 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:We need to paint it before the washer and dryer arrive this week.
Take a look at your drier receptacle - easiest done now when there is no drier in front of it. Does it have 3 or 4 holes for the plug? I'll explain why I want to know when I see you next Saturday at our gathering.

Now to go back and read the 3 pages I skipped to post this. I missed a lot going to sleep early last night - y'all were very busy being PW's! B-) B-) B-)
What Ozzie said. When I bought my dryer it didn't come with a power cord; I had to buy it separately. Knowing which kind of receptacle you have is a key part of that process.

What kind of washer and dryer did you get, Cathy? I'm a huge fan of my Whirlpool Duet (high efficiency) w/d combo. The washer is a front loader. The wash cycles are pretty long for normal clothes, but stuff comes out really clean.
-- Albert Einstein