LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » October 29th, 2015, 10:48 pm

And now it gets even better (or worse, if you're in my shoes). I have an active collaboration with another colleague who is a fantastic scientist; we've had 2 papers together in the past year and one more is getting ready to go out the door. This collaborator has a grant that was well-received by the NIH, but they wanted to see a section added which includes the type of work I do. She was planning to put me on the resubmitted grant as a Co-Investigator - in fact, we've been talking about it for months. Unfortunately, she made the mistake of asking The Boss first. So, if you guessed that The Boss told her to work with Wile E. Coyote instead, you may now move to the front of the class.

So, The Boss is taking an active, productive collaboration away from me and presenting it to Wile E. Coyote on a silver platter. This is the same guy who is so clueless that he is trying to make Doogie come up with grant ideas for him. And now The Boss is forcing his faculty members to collaborate with this intellectual dead weight. In my colleague's case, I suspect it's because she has a virtual slam-dunk of a resubmission, so The Boss is taking the project away from me and forcing her to work with WEC so that he can get funding. Never mind the fact that WEC doesn't have a history of collaboration with her and is clueless in her area of expertise. Yeah, I'm going to have great fun handing in my letter of resignation if the latest prospective job pans out. In fact, I think I'll request an exit interview with HR if they don't contact me.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » October 30th, 2015, 11:16 am

ArkieDukie wrote:And now it gets even better (or worse, if you're in my shoes). I have an active collaboration with another colleague who is a fantastic scientist; we've had 2 papers together in the past year and one more is getting ready to go out the door. This collaborator has a grant that was well-received by the NIH, but they wanted to see a section added which includes the type of work I do. She was planning to put me on the resubmitted grant as a Co-Investigator - in fact, we've been talking about it for months. Unfortunately, she made the mistake of asking The Boss first. So, if you guessed that The Boss told her to work with Wile E. Coyote instead, you may now move to the front of the class.

So, The Boss is taking an active, productive collaboration away from me and presenting it to Wile E. Coyote on a silver platter. This is the same guy who is so clueless that he is trying to make Doogie come up with grant ideas for him. And now The Boss is forcing his faculty members to collaborate with this intellectual dead weight. In my colleague's case, I suspect it's because she has a virtual slam-dunk of a resubmission, so The Boss is taking the project away from me and forcing her to work with WEC so that he can get funding. Never mind the fact that WEC doesn't have a history of collaboration with her and is clueless in her area of expertise. Yeah, I'm going to have great fun handing in my letter of resignation if the latest prospective job pans out. In fact, I think I'll request an exit interview with HR if they don't contact me.
Damn. A reasonable offer can't come soon enough because you really need to get out of that cesspool. Exit interview; absolutely. Hang in there AD, sis. ((( <3 )))
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » October 30th, 2015, 6:22 pm

Flooding here in the Ess ehhh today.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » October 30th, 2015, 6:38 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Flooding here in the Ess ehhh today.
Uggh. I hope your house stays dry.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 30th, 2015, 7:47 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Flooding here in the Ess ehhh today.
I saw some of the pictures from your neck of the woods on the news. Hope all is well with you! We have coastal flood warnings tonight, which should make for interesting times for some of my friends.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 30th, 2015, 8:19 pm

AD, I think what I don't understand about your world, is why no one doesn't speak up. Your coworker wants you to do the work. Why can she not tell the boss that you are way mor qualified than the wbc?
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 30th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:AD, I think what I don't understand about your world, is why no one doesn't speak up. Your coworker wants you to do the work. Why can she not tell the boss that you are way mor qualified than the wbc?
She is afraid to do so because she doesn't have tenure and doesn't want to make The Boss angry. I think the budget cuts are the root of the problem. The Boss is having to pay for WEC's instruments, and the money is tight. He sees this as a source of revenue for WEC. Throwing me under the bus is just collateral damage.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 30th, 2015, 9:15 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:AD, I think what I don't understand about your world, is why no one doesn't speak up. Your coworker wants you to do the work. Why can she not tell the boss that you are way mor qualified than the wbc?
She is afraid to do so because she doesn't have tenure and doesn't want to make The Boss angry. I think the budget cuts are the root of the problem. The Boss is having to pay for WEC's instruments, and the money is tight. He sees this as a source of revenue for WEC. Throwing me under the bus is just collateral damage.
I hear what your saying. The boss wants the revenue to support wec, but doesn't he also need the grant...period? If she would stand up for what is best for the grant, I don't see her being fired. The Bose needs the revenue. That must be what his boss expects.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 31st, 2015, 9:01 am

More rain this morning, the flooding has been to the north and east of me.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 31st, 2015, 10:07 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
I hear what your saying. The boss wants the revenue to support wec, but doesn't he also need the grant...period? If she would stand up for what is best for the grant, I don't see her being fired. The Bose needs the revenue. That must be what his boss expects.
Yes, but WEC wouldn't get the revenue for his instrument if I'm on the grant. I would run the samples in the core facility.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 31st, 2015, 10:08 am

YmoBeThere wrote:More rain this morning, the flooding has been to the north and east of me.
Coastal flooding on the island this morning.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 31st, 2015, 10:09 pm

Ugh!!!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » October 31st, 2015, 11:13 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Ugh!!!
Trtying to come up with the proper analogy for what we just witnessed.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 1st, 2015, 12:47 am

YmoBeThere wrote:
UGH works.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 1st, 2015, 12:47 am

DukieInKansas wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:
UGH works.
I know it isn't an analogy but it seems to be the only thing that comes to mind.
Life is good!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 1st, 2015, 8:50 am

YmoBeThere wrote:

I did not watch. I was sitting on my porch drinking wine and handing out candy to children. Obviously I chose wisely.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 1st, 2015, 8:51 am

ArkieDukie wrote:

Unfortunately until someone grows a set and says NO this continues.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » November 2nd, 2015, 10:13 am

Shout out to KC and their World Series win! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » November 2nd, 2015, 10:35 am

IowaDevil wrote:Shout out to KC and their World Series win! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
We are a happy bunch down here. :happy-bouncyblue: :D :happy-bouncyblue: :D :happy-bouncyblue: :D :D :happy-bouncyblue: :D
Life is good!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 4th, 2015, 7:11 pm

We have been at the lake for a week. It's been great. I'm thinking we should be in Efland for the game. :9f: :9f: :9f: