LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 22nd, 2015, 8:42 pm

AD, I don't know how you can get up in the morning and go to work at that place. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :ymhug:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 23rd, 2015, 9:22 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:AD, I don't know how you can get up in the morning and go to work at that place. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :ymhug:
If only she weren't so fond of sleeping indoors running water and eating regularly
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 23rd, 2015, 9:54 am

windsor wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:AD, I don't know how you can get up in the morning and go to work at that place. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :ymhug:
If only she weren't so fond of sleeping indoors running water and eating regularly
I know, right? =))

I had to put together a list of parts to purchase, at the request of The Boss. I got a list from the service engineers for the parts that Team WEC asks for most often. I had to run it past Mrs. WEC for her final approval. Once she found out The Boss was paying, she came up with additional items. The final tally was over $10,000. :twitch: Funny aside, when I was gathering the list of recommended part numbers, one of the service engineers suggested 'new operator' and gave me a made-up part number. =)) It gave me a much-needed laugh. (The parts were paid for from a project they're working on for The Boss, but I can guarandamntee that no one else in the department gets that level of preferential treatment.)

I have a meeting tomorrow relating to top secret job option #3. Hopefully it is still an option. Once I get more details, I want to call my former boss and get his advice. I have the basics of what will be in the NW offer, and I'm not sure it's in my best interest to take it. Last I heard, I don't think the St. Louis option will pan out, so I think former boss would be a reasonable sounding board.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 23rd, 2015, 10:22 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
windsor wrote:
I know, right? =))

I had to put together a list of parts to purchase, at the request of The Boss. I got a list from the service engineers for the parts that Team WEC asks for most often. I had to run it past Mrs. WEC for her final approval. Once she found out The Boss was paying, she came up with additional items. The final tally was over $10,000. :twitch: Funny aside, when I was gathering the list of recommended part numbers, one of the service engineers suggested 'new operator' and gave me a made-up part number. =)) It gave me a much-needed laugh. (The parts were paid for from a project they're working on for The Boss, but I can guarandamntee that no one else in the department gets that level of preferential treatment.)

I have a meeting tomorrow relating to top secret job option #3. Hopefully it is still an option. Once I get more details, I want to call my former boss and get his advice. I have the basics of what will be in the NW offer, and I'm not sure it's in my best interest to take it. Last I heard, I don't think the St. Louis option will pan out, so I think former boss would be a reasonable sounding board.
So looking forward to the time when you can refer to your office/lab/job in the same words Native uses to describe his. He says "Work is insanely cool!' You deserve that too, Arkie.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » August 23rd, 2015, 10:41 am

After everything you've been through, and are going through, AD, when you finally land the job you deserve, you will be in heaven. There's nothing like adversity to put gratitude on permanent steroids and make life extra sweet once the storm passes :)
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 23rd, 2015, 12:16 pm

DukePA wrote:After everything you've been through, and are going through, AD, when you finally land the job you deserve, you will be in heaven. There's nothing like adversity to put gratitude on permanent steroids and make life extra sweet once the storm passes :)
Thanks. The recurring theme for my last 3 jobs is that I've been done in by sycophants: Supervisor Barbie, The Minion, and now Wile E. Coyote. I really need to figure out why my direct supervisors tend to side with the sycophants over me. Is it a problem with the bosses or with me? (This seems like a Windsor question.) there must be something I could do differently to prevent this from happening to me repeatedly. The one thing I've heard, especially in the first and third cases, is that the sycophant in question feels threatened by me. In both instances, they've responded by badmouthing me to the boss until they will not listen to anything I say. In both cases the sycophants in question were the boss's protege. The second case was a bit more indirect, because The Minion was really more with Pushy PI (who used his position to bully my boss). Maybe I need to learn to be more of a sycophant?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA

Post by DukePA » August 23rd, 2015, 12:38 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
DukePA wrote:After everything you've been through, and are going through, AD, when you finally land the job you deserve, you will be in heaven. There's nothing like adversity to put gratitude on permanent steroids and make life extra sweet once the storm passes :)
Thanks. The recurring theme for my last 3 jobs is that I've been done in by sycophants: Supervisor Barbie, The Minion, and now Wile E. Coyote. I really need to figure out why my direct supervisors tend to side with the sycophants over me. Is it a problem with the bosses or with me? (This seems like a Windsor question.) there must be something I could do differently to prevent this from happening to me repeatedly. The one thing I've heard, especially in the first and third cases, is that the sycophant in question feels threatened by me. In both instances, they've responded by badmouthing me to the boss until they will not listen to anything I say. In both cases the sycophants in question were the boss's protege. The second case was a bit more indirect, because The Minion was really more with Pushy PI (who used his position to bully my boss). Maybe I need to learn to be more of a sycophant?
Hmmmm, a sycophant with a clear conscience? Is that possible? I can only think that you need to find a way to passively, aggressively find a way to stay off everyone's radar and choose your battles very carefully while maintaining your integrity. That's very difficult when you're surrounded by assholes. I have one thought. Could you quietly talk to the people who maintain equipment at yours and other institutions to find out if any labs have a decent workplace culture? They see a lot and could be a very valuable source of information.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 23rd, 2015, 1:26 pm

The instrument company has been trying to get me to come work for them. I don't think I want a job that entails 60+% travel, though

I do try to fly below the radar screen. The problem here is that The Boss is trying to force a working relationship between WEC and me. I think that is why WEC has ramped up his campaign against me in the last few months. I have problems blindly siding with WEC, which is what The Boss expects of me. For whatever reason, The Boss believes that WEC is a world expert. Other colleagues have figured out that he is an idiot and I'm not. Ergo, I'm a threat.

Morale is very bad in our department. It's very obvious that WEC gets special treatment, and it is not going over well. The junior faculty members, in particular, are very unhappy, and those who can do so are shopping for a new job. It's hard to be happy in a place when you're busting your butt to stay alive and the boss is openly helping a colleague whose ineptitude is obvious to all who work with him. It is really mind-boggling how rapidly one bad apple can spoil everything.
-- Albert Einstein
DukePA

Post by DukePA » August 23rd, 2015, 1:57 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:The instrument company has been trying to get me to come work for them. I don't think I want a job that entails 60+% travel, though

I do try to fly below the radar screen. The problem here is that The Boss is trying to force a working relationship between WEC and me. I think that is why WEC has ramped up his campaign against me in the last few months. I have problems blindly siding with WEC, which is what The Boss expects of me. For whatever reason, The Boss believes that WEC is a world expert. Other colleagues have figured out that he is an idiot and I'm not. Ergo, I'm a threat.

Morale is very bad in our department. It's very obvious that WEC gets special treatment, and it is not going over well. The junior faculty members, in particular, are very unhappy, and those who can do so are shopping for a new job. It's hard to be happy in a place when you're busting your butt to stay alive and the boss is openly helping a colleague whose ineptitude is obvious to all who work with him. It is really mind-boggling how rapidly one bad apple can spoil everything.
I hear that. I wouldn't want to travel that way either, but if secret possible job 3, God forbid, doesn't come through, maybe a few of the instrument folks can help you find a humane lab. Hang tough and don't forget to do something nice for yourself everyday.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » August 23rd, 2015, 5:53 pm

The Greensboro Golf tournament is very exciting. I will always call it "The GGO " The Greater Greensboro Open. Being played at Sedgefireld Country Club.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 23rd, 2015, 7:23 pm

And a Tarheel wins it.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 23rd, 2015, 10:51 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:And a Tarheel wins it.
So be it. :(
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » August 24th, 2015, 8:26 am

ArkieDukie wrote: Thanks. The recurring theme for my last 3 jobs is that I've been done in by sycophants: Supervisor Barbie, The Minion, and now Wile E. Coyote. I really need to figure out why my direct supervisors tend to side with the sycophants over me.
Because you are not (in my estimation, having never actually met you - so prepare a grain of salt) in the habit of continual self promotion. I think Lenin gets credit for "A lie told often enough becomes the truth". History has shown this to be absolutely true. If WEC says he is outstanding in his field (even if he is real just out, standing in a field :) ) enough times, loud enough it becomes truth.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 24th, 2015, 10:43 am

Same here. All the best to you in this, AD! And don't make the same mistake on your exit interview. Pull no punches. You're not going to want to go back unless there's a complete turnover, so it isn't like you are going to be burning bridges best left untouched.
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 24th, 2015, 11:01 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
Same here. All the best to you in this, AD! And don't make the same mistake on your exit interview. Pull no punches. You're not going to want to go back unless there's a complete turnover, so it isn't like you are going to be burning bridges best left untouched.
What LG said. And if any potential new work places are in areas where one of us might have a contact, let us know. I'm sure we would all put in any plugs for you that we can.
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 24th, 2015, 11:04 pm

windsor wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: Thanks. The recurring theme for my last 3 jobs is that I've been done in by sycophants: Supervisor Barbie, The Minion, and now Wile E. Coyote. I really need to figure out why my direct supervisors tend to side with the sycophants over me.
Because you are not (in my estimation, having never actually met you - so prepare a grain of salt) in the habit of continual self promotion. I think Lenin gets credit for "A lie told often enough becomes the truth". History has shown this to be absolutely true. If WEC says he is outstanding in his field (even if he is real just out, standing in a field :) ) enough times, loud enough it becomes truth.
I think that is somewhat accurate. The Boss is busy, so I try to do what needs to be done without bugging him incessantly. If WEC stubs his toe, he complains to The Boss. If he can blame someone else because he stubbed his toe, so much the better. I was talking to Dug (The Boss' postdoc, a good guy) about this today, and I asked him if he knew the reason for The Boss' trust of WEC over everyone else. He gave an analogy about the most vocal player on the court being the one that the ref listens to. So, WEC says loudly and often that he is THE world's expert, and that I am incompetent. The Boss hears this often enough that he believes it, evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 24th, 2015, 11:07 pm

DukePA wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:The instrument company has been trying to get me to come work for them. I don't think I want a job that entails 60+% travel, though

I hear that. I wouldn't want to travel that way either, but if secret possible job 3, God forbid, doesn't come through, maybe a few of the instrument folks can help you find a humane lab. Hang tough and don't forget to do something nice for yourself everyday.
I had a meeting about this one today, and now I am less sure that it is going to come about. They have an offer on the table to someone else, and anything that happens with me is dependent on what happens with the other person.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 25th, 2015, 10:15 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
windsor wrote:
I think that is somewhat accurate. The Boss is busy, so I try to do what needs to be done without bugging him incessantly. If WEC stubs his toe, he complains to The Boss. If he can blame someone else because he stubbed his toe, so much the better. I was talking to Dug (The Boss' postdoc, a good guy) about this today, and I asked him if he knew the reason for The Boss' trust of WEC over everyone else. He gave an analogy about the most vocal player on the court being the one that the ref listens to. So, WEC says loudly and often that he is THE world's expert, and that I am incompetent. The Boss hears this often enough that he believes it, evidence to the contrary notwithstanding.
WEC and the Midget Pervert Prosecutor must be brothers.
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 25th, 2015, 1:03 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:WEC and the Midget Pervert Prosecutor must be brothers.
Speak of the devil, and he will appear and say something stupid.

So after two cortisone shots and a large black brace, my wrist is no better. I made an appointment with the orthopedic guy for tomorrow to go ahead and set up surgery on it.

The Midget Pervert Prosecutor (who is also a hypochondriac) was in the office kitchen this morning when I was in there. He asked about my wrist, and I told him it was no better. He asked what was wrong with it.

I usually tell people it's similar to carpal tunnel. Knowing his reputation, I said, "it's DeQuervain's tenosynovitis." He said, "oh, I have that."

Next time I'm going to give him the name of a bovine ailment. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 25th, 2015, 3:41 pm

Sometimes it helps to talk to someone who knows what they are talking about.