LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by YmoBeThere » June 20th, 2015, 8:52 am

Over an inch of rain yesterday and already an inch today.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 20th, 2015, 6:22 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Over an inch of rain yesterday and already an inch today.
More rain. FWIW, my yard is a jungle right now.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 21st, 2015, 10:01 am

WindsorsDaughter is in town for a whirlwind visit (she came in Thursday night for a wedding yesterday - she flies back out this afternoon). I am glad she is getting to spend time with Mr. Windsor on Father's Day. They are having breakfast at going to hang out and do fun stuff until flight time :)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 22nd, 2015, 8:07 pm

This promises to be an interesting week, and not in a good way. Service engineers from Instrument Vendor A are refusing to come to Wile E Coyote's lab due to constant hounding from Mr and Mrs Wile E. Coyote. We found this out because their manager reached out to the departmental business administrator. She called me in, and we talked to him together and then went to meet with The Boss. Guess who The Boss sided with? Yep. Wile E. Coyote. There is now a meeting scheduled on Wednesday with me, the business administrator, Mr and Mrs WEC, and the service manager for Vendor A. Here's the problem: the complaints from Vendor A are not unique to Vendor A, and The Boss now knows this. If you guessed that The Boss' solution was to have me deal with service on WEC's instruments, you may move to the front of the class.

Given the bad news that I'll have to work with the dynamic duo even more, I emailed former boss to ask for an update. I finally got an answer: the wheels are turning, but slowly. Needless to say, I'm more than ready for the wheels to speed up.

Dr. BGS found out today that she was one of the recipients of an institutional postdoctoral fellowship. It's fairly competitive, and it provides salary support for one year (renewable for a second). I'm thrilled for her.

Also good: one of my niece's dance teachers won a national award. He thinks he's a finalist, but he's finding out tomorrow morning on GMA that he won! The teachers at her studio are pulling in a group of his students to perform a dance, and my niece is one of them! So, yes, I'll be a bit late for work tomorrow so I can watch my niece dance on Good Morning America!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 22nd, 2015, 8:32 pm

Way cool about your niece, AD! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

Not so cool on the work front, though. Hope the wheels speed up. X(
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 22nd, 2015, 8:39 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:This promises to be an interesting week, and not in a good way. Service engineers from Instrument Vendor A are refusing to come to Wile E Coyote's lab due to constant hounding from Mr and Mrs Wile E. Coyote. We found this out because their manager reached out to the departmental business administrator. She called me in, and we talked to him together and then went to meet with The Boss. Guess who The Boss sided with? Yep. Wile E. Coyote. There is now a meeting scheduled on Wednesday with me, the business administrator, Mr and Mrs WEC, and the service manager for Vendor A. Here's the problem: the complaints from Vendor A are not unique to Vendor A, and The Boss now knows this. If you guessed that The Boss' solution was to have me deal with service on WEC's instruments, you may move to the front of the class.

Given the bad news that I'll have to work with the dynamic duo even more, I emailed former boss to ask for an update. I finally got an answer: the wheels are turning, but slowly. Needless to say, I'm more than ready for the wheels to speed up.

Dr. BGS found out today that she was one of the recipients of an institutional postdoctoral fellowship. It's fairly competitive, and it provides salary support for one year (renewable for a second). I'm thrilled for her.

Also good: one of my niece's dance teachers won a national award. He thinks he's a finalist, but he's finding out tomorrow morning on GMA that he won! The teachers at her studio are pulling in a group of his students to perform a dance, and my niece is one of them! So, yes, I'll be a bit late for work tomorrow so I can watch my niece dance on Good Morning America!

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: For all the good news.

:hamster: :hamster: :hamster: :animals-dogrun: :animals-dogrun: :animals-dogrun: To help the wheels turn faster.

:angry-banghead: :facepalm2: :facepalm3: for Mr & Mrs WEC and :angry-extinguishflame: to help put out any flames.
Life is good!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 23rd, 2015, 5:35 am

Another 100 degree day in NC.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » June 23rd, 2015, 6:02 am

Still sending vibes in your direction, AD - for wheels turning faster and for strength not to stangle the WECs! Way cool to watch your niece on GMA!!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 23rd, 2015, 8:54 am

CathyCA wrote:Re: Class Action Lawsuits Seemingly High Attorney's Fees

Most people who belong to a class in a CAS couldn't afford the hourly rate an attorney charges to pursue the matter individually, so they join a class in order to join in the economy of the lawsuit. The attorney for the class has his or her fees approved by the presiding judge. There are a lot of expenses involved in litigation, including the cost of discovery, hiring investigators, taking depositions, hiring expert witnesses, travel fees, etc. which do not come under the umbrella of attorney compensation. So, just because an attorney's fee is called 60%, the attorney may not be taking 60% of the settlement as fee. In fact, much of that is going toward the costs of litigation.

Most contingent fee contracts in personal injury matters are divided such that the attorney gets a smaller percentage if a settlement is reached before filing suit (25%) a larger percentage after filing suit (33%) and an even larger percentage if the matter goes to trial (35%) and an even larger percentage if the matter goes on to appeal (40% or more). Our firm's contingent fee contracts specifically exclude the costs of litigation, including deposition charges, travel expenses, Federal Express and similar charges, large copying projects, service of process fees and messenger services, expert witness fees, private investigator fees and the like. Those fees are the responsibility of the client, win or lose.

Because most litigants couldn't afford those litigation expenses individually, it is easier for them to join a class. Sometimes the defendant's counsel approves the larger percentage of attorney's fees ahead of time. This is known as a "clear sailing" agreement.

I'd urge everyone to shop around on attorney's fees in any kind of legal matter, simply to get an idea of what is reasonable, given the complexity of the case, the skill and experience of counsel, and what the market demands.

Just my :twocents: .

:9f:
Thank you so much. Now, I get it.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 23rd, 2015, 9:26 am

Watching GMA and waiting for my niece to appear. I remember now why I hate the morning news shows: endless fluff and pointless blathering.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 23rd, 2015, 1:29 pm

So you prefer the murder and mayhem of the evening news?
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 23rd, 2015, 4:24 pm

Just saw an ESPN Sportscenter NBA Draft dude call Tyus the most overrated player in the draft.

UGH! X(
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 23rd, 2015, 9:20 pm

Welcome to the Jungle!
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 24th, 2015, 9:15 am

Jurassic World has taken in over $1 Billion.
Magic Mike XXL is one week away from July 1 opening!

Cant wait for Ted 2
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 24th, 2015, 10:22 am

I found this Coach K video most enjoyable :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

https://youtu.be/LtbsMjT9sfA
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 24th, 2015, 4:41 pm

windsor wrote:I found this Coach K video most enjoyable :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

Windsor, that was a lovely thing to experience. Thank you! :duke: :happy-bouncyblue:

I think I got a little dust in my eye watching that....

:9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 24th, 2015, 8:06 pm

That one guy in the video appears to have been involved in a few championships.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 24th, 2015, 9:59 pm

windsor wrote:I found this Coach K video most enjoyable :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

It's a beautiful thing. :9f:
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » June 25th, 2015, 8:49 am

WOW, just WOW! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 25th, 2015, 9:09 am

NBA draft will have my attention tonight. :duke: :duke: :duke: