LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

windsor
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by windsor » June 8th, 2014, 11:21 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:No betting from me. I did want to see a Triple Crown winner...
I like how CC's owner is bitching that the winner wasn't in the other races so it wasn't fair. Dude, your horse came in fourth!!
There are always horses in the Belmont who weren't in the other two. it is a (relatively) long race. Secretariats Triple Crown win 3 of the 4 horses who raced had not been in the other two (Sham ran all three).

Secretariat. What a horse. One of the great sports moments in my life was seeing Big Red in the flesh.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 8th, 2014, 1:55 pm

windsor wrote:
I like how CC's owner is bitching that the winner wasn't in the other races so it wasn't fair. Dude, your horse came in fourth!!
There are always horses in the Belmont who weren't in the other two. it is a (relatively) long race. Secretariats Triple Crown win 3 of the 4 horses who raced had not been in the other two (Sham ran all three).

Secretariat. What a horse. One of the great sports moments in my life was seeing Big Red in the flesh.
The 1973 Belmont, the only horserace I've ever been to. B-) I bet on Secretariat to win and Secretariat and Sham, who finished 2nd in the Derby and Preakness, in the Perfecta (? - win and place only, not show). I cashed my $2 winning ticket on Big Red, and threw away the losing Perfecta ticket. Talk about a dumbass, I should have kept them for souvenirs! :(( :))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 8th, 2014, 2:38 pm

windsor wrote:Secretariat. What a horse. One of the great sports moments in my life was seeing Big Red in the flesh.
I posted my Secretariat story over yonder.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » June 8th, 2014, 3:55 pm

CathyCA wrote:
I think it's awesome that CC's owner can bitch away like that. He is audacious. The people out in California called him a "dumbass" for purchasing California Chrome's dam, "Love the Chase." He and his partner then decided to name their partnership "Dumb Ass Partners." They even used a donkey as their emblem.

I predict the Dumb Ass Partners will have another horse entered in the triple crown in the years to come.

:9f:
I think he brought up a legitimate point. To me, allowing any horse to enter the Belmont without running the first two races of the triple crown is kind of like the NCAA allowing a basketball team into the final four without having played in the earlier games. Just a thought.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 8th, 2014, 6:47 pm

DukePA wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
I think it's awesome that CC's owner can bitch away like that. He is audacious. The people out in California called him a "dumbass" for purchasing California Chrome's dam, "Love the Chase." He and his partner then decided to name their partnership "Dumb Ass Partners." They even used a donkey as their emblem.

I predict the Dumb Ass Partners will have another horse entered in the triple crown in the years to come.

I think he brought up a legitimate point. To me, allowing any horse to enter the Belmont without running the first two races of the triple crown is kind of like the NCAA allowing a basketball team into the final four without having played in the earlier games. Just a thought.

That is entire point of the triple crown to have a horse that excels above the rest in 3 different distances. The last two winners have beaten horses that were not entered in all three races. The tennis/golf grand slams do not only allow entrants who have entered the preceding events. That's why they HARD and winners few and far between. I am looking back at the other horses since the 70s who won the Derby and the Preakness -

2012 I'll have Another - scratched from Belmont (lame)
2008 Big Brown - pulled up lame (cracked hoof)
2004 Smarty Jones - lost to Birdstone who ran derby and not Preakness
2003 Funny Cide - finished 3 behind Empire Maker (skipped preakness) and Ten Most Wanted (also skipped Preakness)
2002 War Emblem - fell out of starting gate, was never a factor
1999 Charismatic - lame during race
1979 Seatle Slew - finished 3rd behind Coastal (who did neither preceding race - his owners paid an additional 12k to enter him since he had not won a qualifying race of any kind and Golden Act who did indeed run the other two.

There have only ever been 12 winners. It is extremely difficult. CC's owner is a whiner. He is disgracing the Triple Crown.

IMHO, of course
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » June 8th, 2014, 7:16 pm

Is there even a real official "Triple Crown"? Or is it just something given a name for when a horse is fortunate enough to win all three races? Is there a trophy or monetary award for winning the "Triple Crown"? If there were a real "Triple Crown " series to enter, it would be possible to make rules for entering. Maybe I'm uniformed but, weren't the horses running this weekend just to win the Belmont?
Love, Ima

PS Gotta say that after reading the articles written by vets about how criminal it is to ask 3-year olds', their legs are far too weak and underdeveloped to take the beating of carrying those huge bodies, to run all these races I'm sort of sick about the whole thing. I used to enjoy the beauty of the race, the combination of the man and the animal. Now I just can't stop thinking about the cruelty of it.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 9th, 2014, 6:00 am

Crazie is as crazie does...
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 9th, 2014, 7:44 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Is there even a real official "Triple Crown"? Or is it just something given a name for when a horse is fortunate enough to win all three races? Is there a trophy or monetary award for winning the "Triple Crown"? If there were a real "Triple Crown " series to enter, it would be possible to make rules for entering. Maybe I'm uniformed but, weren't the horses running this weekend just to win the Belmont?
Love, Ima

PS Gotta say that after reading the articles written by vets about how criminal it is to ask 3-year olds', their legs are far too weak and underdeveloped to take the beating of carrying those huge bodies, to run all these races I'm sort of sick about the whole thing. I used to enjoy the beauty of the race, the combination of the man and the animal. Now I just can't stop thinking about the cruelty of it.
Love, Ima

No, there is not a special prize. From time to time there have Corporate sponsors who offered a bounty for a Triple Crown winner, but there is no Triple Crown Trophy or anything like that. Currently I do not believe there is a bonus for winning. It is just like the 'Grand Slam' in golf and tennis...win Wimbledon and The Australian, French and US Opens in the same year ...or golf Win the Masters and the British Open, US Open and the PGA Championship in the same year. For the Triple Crown and the Grand Slams there are two rules:
1. Compete in all the events
2. Beat everyone that shows up
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 9th, 2014, 8:11 am

windsor wrote: There have only ever been 12 winners. It is extremely difficult. CC's owner is a whiner. He is disgracing the Triple Crown.

IMHO, of course
And the horse came in FOURTH!!! Come in second behind a horse that was well rested, sure, maybe you have an excuse. But you came in FOURTH!!!! :Boo:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 9th, 2014, 8:44 am

windsor wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Is there even a real official "Triple Crown"? Or is it just something given a name for when a horse is fortunate enough to win all three races? Is there a trophy or monetary award for winning the "Triple Crown"? If there were a real "Triple Crown " series to enter, it would be possible to make rules for entering. Maybe I'm uniformed but, weren't the horses running this weekend just to win the Belmont?
Love, Ima

Love, Ima

No, there is not a special prize. From time to time there have Corporate sponsors who offered a bounty for a Triple Crown winner, but there is no Triple Crown Trophy or anything like that. Currently I do not believe there is a bonus for winning. It is just like the 'Grand Slam' in golf and tennis...win Wimbledon and The Australian, French and US Opens in the same year ...or golf Win the Masters and the British Open, US Open and the PGA Championship in the same year. For the Triple Crown and the Grand Slams there are two rules:
I think there is a trophy. Just prior to the race, NBC showed a trophy that had all three races noted and stated that it arrived a few days before the race and may return to wherever it is stored until next year of CC loses.

Found this, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triple_Crown_Trophy, on wiki.
I worship the Blue Devil!
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » June 9th, 2014, 8:58 am

I know zilch about horse racing other than horses are beautiful animals and it's fun watch. I did see the Triple Crown Trophy on the pre-race hype Saturday. Beautiful trophy! Does that make me an expert now? :D
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » June 9th, 2014, 10:48 am

windsor wrote:
Love, Ima

Love, Ima

I knew Windsor would have answers! Sometimes I think her middle name must be Google! :ymhug:
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 9th, 2014, 10:51 am

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:[No, there is not a special prize.

I knew Windsor would have answers! Sometimes I think her middle name must be Google! :ymhug:
Love, Ima
This time I was google challenged - as there IS a trophy.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 9th, 2014, 12:24 pm

Strapless dresses and strappy silver heels belong at a cocktail party, not in the courtroom.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 9th, 2014, 12:45 pm

CathyCA wrote:Strapless dresses and strappy silver heels belong at a cocktail party, not in the courtroom.

But it isn't shorts, so it's not a problem, right? :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 9th, 2014, 1:31 pm

Mom's doctor came out at 1245 and said her surgery went well. Thanks for all the vibes and prayers and good thoughts. As you all know CTN vibes rock. :happy-bouncyblue: :ymhug: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » June 9th, 2014, 2:14 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Mom's doctor came out at 1245 and said her surgery went well. Thanks for all the vibes and prayers and good thoughts. As you all know CTN vibes rock. :happy-bouncyblue: :ymhug: :9f:
Wonderful news!!!
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 9th, 2014, 3:02 pm

CathyCA wrote:Strapless dresses and strappy silver heels belong at a cocktail party, not in the courtroom.

I am continually stunned by what people will wear to court or job interviews.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » June 9th, 2014, 3:24 pm

windsor wrote: There have only ever been 12 winners. It is extremely difficult. CC's owner is a whiner. He is disgracing the Triple Crown.

IMHO, of course
And the horse came in FOURTH!!! Come in second behind a horse that was well rested, sure, maybe you have an excuse. But you came in FOURTH!!!! :Boo:

... and he his now apologizing for his comments on Good Morning America today...

very ashamed of myself. I need to apologize to a lot of people, including my wife Carolyn. First of all, I need to apologize to the winners, they ran a beautiful race...I did not mean to take anything away from them.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 9th, 2014, 4:22 pm

windsor wrote:That's why they HARD and winners few and far between. I am looking back at the other horses since the 70s who won the Derby and the Preakness -

2012 I'll have Another - scratched from Belmont (lame)
2008 Big Brown - pulled up lame (cracked hoof)
2004 Smarty Jones - lost to Birdstone who ran derby and not Preakness
2003 Funny Cide - finished 3 behind Empire Maker (skipped preakness) and Ten Most Wanted (also skipped Preakness)
2002 War Emblem - fell out of starting gate, was never a factor
1999 Charismatic - lame during race
1979 Seatle Slew - finished 3rd behind Coastal (who did neither preceding race - his owners paid an additional 12k to enter him since he had not won a qualifying race of any kind and Golden Act who did indeed run the other two.

There have only ever been 12 winners. It is extremely difficult. CC's owner is a whiner. He is disgracing the Triple Crown.

IMHO, of course
Umm... hold on there...
I attended the 77 (Slew triple crown), 78 (Affirmed triple crown: I was trackside at the finish line in the stands... still can't believe it), and 79 Belmonts.
79 was Spectacular Bid, who flubbed the Belmont, while allegations circulated about the horse stepping on a safety pin, the jockey (Ronnie Franklin), and just about everything else. Stupid ass 1-5 Spectacular Bid failed... he went a suicidal first 3/4s in 1:11 3/5, led by 3 lengths at the top of the stretch, and then ran out of gas. :-B
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.