Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » May 30th, 2014, 2:58 pm

Another trader from fuse:

Copper-The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery

This one is a bit confusing as it's listed as an amber on the bottle but is really a traditional German altbier (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altbier). But, then again, I don't think the styles are that much different so we'll proceed. The 12 ounce bottle poured a light brown with a nutty, malty nose and some floral aromas. There was a small head and the tastes were slightly over toasted wheat bread, a bit of almond and a touch more pine/resin than I expected from the style. I'll guess the IBUs about 30 and the ABV was 4.8%, making it a fine "lagered" ale (cold-conditioned but top-fermented) easily drinkable on a warm spring evening (like last evening) or at a hot, late summer tailgate with the usual grilled suspects.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 31st, 2014, 9:34 am

Jam Session-NoDa Brewing

Another fine selection from the fuse trader 6er. Poured from a 16 ounce can, this orange-yellow pale ale had a modest, creamy head and more citrus and pine scents than I would have thought from the Centennial, Simcoe and Citra hops, though the description on the can had Amarillo hops instead of the Citra. Very flavorful, too, with the grains, imported Maris Otter and Caramunich malts, providing enough light brown sugar sweetness and breadiness to balance the mild hop bite. IBUs stated at 31 and ABV of 5.1% were the expected values and make this very sippable and a nice pairing with mild grilled fare from the land or from the sea.

I believe that concludes the single servings from our exchange session last week except for the 2013 Bourbon County Stout which has been carefully sequestered and will not make an appearance in a glass near me until this winter.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 2nd, 2014, 9:43 pm

Red Seal Ale-North Coast Brewing

This was my first North Coast beer in quite a while and I enjoyed this with appetizers Saturday evening. Poured with a modest head about halfway between copper and amber and is described on one part of their website as a pale ale and another area says amber ale. I thought it was pretty clearly a pale ale with pine and resin on the nose and the same on the palate with a mildly sweet malty finish. IBUs of 42 and ABV of 5.4% allowed this to be a nice beverage with finger foods before dinner, which was a roasted chicken breast, a coconut rice cake with mango-pineapple salsa. I had a glass of chardonnay with dinner because they didn't list/display the Chimay Blue as one of the beverage choices.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 2nd, 2014, 9:44 pm

Aprihop-Dogfish Head Brewing

Two 12 ounce bottles of this represent gifts from my son along with a couple Chill Wave IIPAs a couple weeks ago. Mom raised him well. He didn't really like the beer. I found it pleasant and enjoyable and not too "off-centered" as DFH promotes (most of) their brews. Poured an orange-yellow with a foamy head, the aromas were citrus and the tastes were the same along with a bit of toasted bread and a faint presence of the apricots. Amarillo hops are the only ones listed and the grains are Crystal and Pilsner malts. They describe it as "massively" hopped but an IBU rating of 50 doesn't exactly meet the definition of massive. ABV a pretty standard of 7% for the style. A tad on the bitter side to be a real late spring/early summer thirst quencher, it's still a nice match with grilled fare, even if it ends up being a bit spicy. This probably would have made good pairing with the chicken, tangy/fruity salsa and Thai coconut rice cake I had with dinner the night before.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 7th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Cocoa Loco-Arcadia Brewing Company

Beer dessert! I'm not quite sure why I'm drinking a stout on a warm spring evening, probably because it's been in storage since October or so and I haven't had one of these yet. Plus, I'm continuing to clear out the beer cellar/garage. This is a triple chocolate stout as it's made with three chocolate malts, cacao nibs and 63% semi-sweet chocolate in addition to black strap molasses and lactose. So, I guess it's really an almost imperial milk stout. Poured after sitting on the counter about 30 minutes from a 12 ounce bottle and filling half of a pint glass (more later as I made a beer cocktail) with a dark, dark brown color, the head was small and the scents were dark chocolate syrup and dark fruits. Tastes were fudgy ice cream topping, dark molasses, caramel, dark brown sugar, raisins, dates and figs. IBUs were 39 so fairly easy on the palate and the ABV is 7%. I sure liked this offering more than their (almost) IIPA that I reviewed a couple weeks ago and look forward to the bottle I'll save until this fall.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 7th, 2014, 9:06 pm

Beer cocktail.

Four ounces of Cocoa Loco mixed with 4 ounces of Bell's Java Stout. The java>chocolate/cacao/molasses flavors and aromas. This concoction is a tad more bitter than the chocolate stout by itself but is a very interesting combination. I think I'd be happy to add a teaspoon or two of half and half to the last couple ounces or so in my glass but we don't have any in the house. That would make this even more interesting and be great to have, with or without the cream, with a slice of chocolate/cinnamon/caramel cake/torte/pastry. Bell's Java Stout review to follow.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 7th, 2014, 9:08 pm

Beer cocktail.

Four ounces of Cocoa Loco mixed with 4 ounces of Bell's Java Stout. The java>chocolate/cacao/molasses flavors and aromas. This concoction is a tad more bitter than the chocolate stout by itself but is a very interesting combination. I think I'd be happy to add a teaspoon or two of half and half to the last couple ounces or so in my glass but we don't have any in the house. That would make this even more interesting and be great to have, with or without the cream, with a slice of chocolate/cinnamon/caramel cake/torte/pastry. Bell's Java Stout review to follow.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 7th, 2014, 9:58 pm

Java Stout-Bell's Brewing

Pass the cream and sugar! This is another trader from fuse from a couple years ago. I think. I'll let him figure out when this was brewed as the # on the bottle is 9375 but the current Q&A on their web site references a 6 digit # to date their brews so I have no clue when it was brewed/bottled.

Poured an onyx hue with very little head and fragrances from a local (or national) coffee shop. Tastes no different than the aromas but not too bitter and no chocolate here. I'd guess the IBU in the 40 range and the ABV is listed at 7.5% so almost an imperial stout. This would be tasty mixed 1:1 with some Cocoa Loco, by itself as an after dinner drink or with a slice of pecan pie or any type of chocolate dessert.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 13th, 2014, 6:49 pm

Old Curmudgeon Ale (or is it Curmudgeon Old Ale)-Founders Brewing

This was my last bottle of the 2/2013 brewing and just had to sip it Wednesday night to give it another pouring after not really enjoying my last bottle due to a stale taste. This one was far better, classic for the old ale style and re-affirmed my thoughts that this is really a fabulous beer that got better with 1+ year of aging. Poured a slightly cloudy brown-burgundy with a small head, the scents were brown sugar and vanilla with tastes of dark caramel, dark dried fruits, vanilla, oak and a bit of rum. Was even smoother and more flavorful as it warmed a bit over 30 minutes. Definitely an after dinner/dessert/night cap beer. IBUs were 50 and the ABV was 9.8%. It is listed as being available from April-June so it might be worth a trip to your favorite specialty store to procure a 4 pack.

One of my favorite labels.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 14th, 2014, 12:05 am

10-10-10 Vertical Epic-Stone Brewing

Beer-wine! Two very interesting twists to this Belgian style golden/triple ale. First, the addition of chamomile flowers, triticale and Belgian amber candi sugar to the brewing lending herbal and floral notes with a hint of mustiness and sweetness. Second, the addition of Muscat, Gewurtztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grape pressings from what was apparently an excellent grape harvest by the South Coast Winery in Temecula in 2010. Poured a slightly cloudy golden-amber with a small head, the aromas were floral, sweet and juicy. Tastes matched the aromas and made an excellent pairing with freshly made butternut squash soup and a mixed green salad with Fuji apples, candied pecans, craisins and feta. For the family dining who don't like wine too much, this was not popular. For the adventurous souls, we wished we could have had another bottle just to share with another cup of soup and bowl of salad. I'd guess IBUs of 10-20 with a potent ABV of 9.5%. But, there was another course and another bottle waiting to be uncapped.

Repeat review. Shared a bomber of this with son, daughter and son-in-law this evening with pretty much the same thoughts as 6 months ago. I think this is probably my favorite of their Vertical Epic series. Very enjoyable night cap.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 14th, 2014, 7:50 am

19th Anniversary Ale-Great Divide Brewing Company

Brewed on 5/14/13, I think this is an IIPA that has been "smoothed" out by the addition of birch syrup and aged on birch chips. Poured from a bomber with a light golden color with a small head, this was divided 4 ways in small snifter glasses. Pleasant nose of wood and light brown sugar syrup. On the palate, it's rather sweet from the huge grain bill with some apricot notes, too. High ABV at 10.2% with no IBU data anywhere so I'd guess about 50-60 range, not a bitter brew at all. Served at about 50-55 degrees, it did mellow a bit more as it warmed and made a wonderful nightcap.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 14th, 2014, 11:25 pm

Windowpane Peaches 2013-Mother Earth Brewing

As promised from the beer list upthread, we started the evening with a double/imperial wheat ale brewed with North Carolina peaches and aged in chardonnay barrels for 3 months. This plan yielded>>>>>>>>peach wine!!!! Well, not quite but the immediate olfactory sensation was ripe peaches followed by a bit of citrus and a sweet, fruity vinous aroma. First taste was also peaches with a bit of orange and tang from the wheat. Pour was a medium, slightly cloudy orange with a small head. I couldn't find the IBU anywhere but I'd guess about 10-20 and the ABV on the bottle was 8.2% so the 5 of us partaking of this corked and caged 750 ml bottle started with a relative heavyweight. We had veggies and ranch dip and a Mexican layered taco dip so the pairing was not ideal as this would have been great with a fruit tray or some warm brie and jam.

This ended up being the favorite of everyone tonight except for me as I liked the next brew a bit better...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 14th, 2014, 11:25 pm

Windowpane Fig and Raisin 2013-Mother Earth

This Belgian dubbel style ale was served from a corked and caged 750 ml bottle between our first and second courses. Poured a light to medium mildly opaque brown with a nose of dark brown sugar and dark, dried fruits. The tastes matched the scents as expected with the North Carolina figs and raisins included in the brew. I didn't know North Carolina produced those fruits. Booze perception was moderately prominent as this was aged in North Carolina apple brandy barrels and was also 9% ABV. I'd guess the IBUs in the 30 range, typical for the style. It made a nice starter for our burgers off the grill, broccoli salad, fruit salad and chips. Would also pair nicely with ribs and brisket. This was my personal favorite of the evening but was less well received by the others. I thought the Windowpane Peaches was also very good.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 15th, 2014, 9:47 am

So far, it's been a thrilling Sunday morning. I think I need a beer. Maybe even a Miller Lite. :-o
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 15th, 2014, 4:08 pm

Theobroma 2009-Dogfish Head

An ale that almost defies characterization. From the brewer:

Theobroma is a celebration of chocolate, the food of the gods.
This Ancient Ale is based on chemical analysis of pottery fragments found in Honduras that revealed the earliest known alcoholic chocolate drink used by early civilizations to toast special occasions.
The discovery of this beverage pushed back the earliest use of cocoa for human consumption more than 500 years to 1,200 B.C. As per the analysis, Dogfish Head's Theobroma (translated into "food of the gods") is brewed with Aztec cocoa powder and cocoa nibs (from our friends at Askinosie Chocolate), honey, chilies and annatto (fragrant tree seeds).
It's light in color, not what you expect from your typical chocolate beer (not that you'd be surprised that we'd do something unexpected with this beer!).
This beer is part of our Ancient Ales series -- along with Midas Touch, Chateau Jiahu, Sah'tea and Ta Henket -- so step back in time and enjoy some Theobroma.

From my lips:

Poured a cloudy, cocoa color with a negligible head. A bit of caramel and brown sugar sweetness on the nose with the same upon tasting along with light flavors of cocoa and a very mild, warm and peppery finish. Ingredients listed above. I guess I'd plug this into the double bock category with its IBU listing as 8 (no typo) and ABV of 9%. No grains, hops or yeast varieties listed. This was the least favorite of the tastings last PM and that's why I'm left with the last 6-8 ounces to finish tonight, which I will gladly do. Not my favorite DFH brew but I sincerely appreciate many of their other brews and interesting ideas and formulations.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 21st, 2014, 3:11 pm

Thomas Hardy Ale 1993 (no typo)-Eldridge Pope Brewing

Overdue review of a truly fabulous ale. I didn't research the entire Thomas Hardy Ale history but there have been at least two brewers, Pope and O'Hanlon. It's described as a barleywine but I think a better description might be a traditional old English strong ale. It's not dark enough to be an imperial stout like World Wide Stout nor is it a DIPA or TIPA. Poured a clean, dark brown with no head and a slightly viscous. oily consistency. Aromas of dried, dark fruits (cherries, figs, dates and raisins) with tastes that matched exactly with a bit of dark rum/booze. Incredibly smooth on the palate with some vinous features, too. It's really tough to think of this as beer and more resembles a lighter port than an ale. Not as deep/rich/dark as the Dogfish Head World Wide Stout but certainly in the same ballpark with similar flavors, tastes and scents. I'd guess the IBU around 50 and the ABV around 11-12%, neither of which are on the label or found on their web site.

I'm not sure I've ever had this before and must give fuse the highest praise and credit here for kindly/generously trading this last year and providing a beverage with which I could celebrate a milestone birthday this week and share half of the 330 ml bottle with a brother-in-law who also enjoyed it immensely.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 26th, 2014, 10:43 pm

Victoria-Allagash Brewing

Cool story:

"Victoria Ale was inspired by a visit to Victoria Mansion, in Portland, Maine and the visual references to Bacchus, the god of wine. The brewer's decided to fuse the worlds of beer and wine. Over two hundred pounds of Chardonnay (Vidal Blanc in 2010) grapes were brought in, crushed on site and added directly to the mash. Victoria Ale's aroma is fruity spice, and the taste presents subtle notes of green banana, black pepper, and fresh-crushed mint. With a focus on the subtle, wine-like character of the grapes, the 9.0% ABV brew boasts a pale copper color, Belgian yeast influence, and a medium body with a long candied fruit finish with hints of honeydew melon, and, of course, white wine grapes.
*Money generated by the brewing of Victoria will go to the National Historic Landmark, Victoria Mansion here in Portland, Maine. Also known as the Morse-Libby House, it is one of the greatest 19th century houses in the United States. Designed by architect Henry Austin, the mansion was built between 1858 and 1860 and survives as a unique example of the princely palaces created for America's wealthiest citizens in the pre-Civil War era. The Victoria Mansion has operated as a museum since it was saved from demolition in 1940, and today the non-profit organization that owns it remains committed to its preservation and interpretation to a wide audience. http://www.victoriamansion.org"

My thoughts:

This was a 10 ounce pour (maybe more) at a corporate event (note: free!) and served at World of Beer in a goblet. Appearance was a cloudy, golden-yellow with a sweet, floral nose. Think beer-wine as it's brewed with white grapes and is on the menu as a Belgian pale ale, on their website as a Belgian strong ale and to me, it was more of a tripel or golden ale. There was a bit of tart fruit and pepper from the Belgian yeast but it finished on the sweet side like a dessert wine, in part due to the Belgian candi sugar I'm guessing was used in the brewing process. Dangerously quaffable with a low IBU rating, guessing 20-30, with a potent ABV of 9%. Not sure I'd buy this at an estimated $15 for the corked and caged 750 ml bottle, but, if my employer is buying, then I'm tasting.

I wonder if AW might pick up one of these for a tailgate this season...

:whistle: =p~
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 28th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Total Eclipse Stout Bourbon Barrel Aged-Foothills Brewing

This was listed as "soon to be tapped" at World of Beer Thursday night during our corporate function so I asked if it might be available and our server confirmed it was so I used my other "beer ticket/voucher" on my second and final beer of the evening. Served in a pint glass, it appeared nearly black with a medium, light mocha head. Dark chocolate, bourbon and a splash of espresso made immediate impressions on the olfactory lobes and the same suspects on the palate with a bit of fig and raisin flavors, too. This is kind of a "tweener" as it's a bit thin for a an imperial stout, both in texture and ABV at 7%. But, is a "big" beer for the standard stout category with all the flavors, mouth-feel and ABV. I'd guess about 50 for the IBU. It was a bit odd sipping this dark brew when it was nearly 90 degrees outside and I did have trouble finishing it due to the heat and it being the second beer in an hour but forced myself to drain the glass as the event ended. According to their website, this is their plain stout which is also available as a BBA product. Definitely worth a pour but would be better in cooler times and also delicious served with a chocolate or caramel dessert.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 3rd, 2014, 9:49 pm

Immort Ale (10/26/11 bottle)-Dogfish Head Brewing

This is comparable to the dear old friend that you haven't seen in years that comes back to visit for a couple nights. Your home is always welcome for as long as they'd like to stay. I believe this is one of the earliest high gravity ales that I ever tasted and I'll almost always buy a 4 pack (or two) when I see it available. Still on my top 10 beer list of all time. Maybe top 5. The closest descriptor would be an old English ale. Poured a dark amber with woody scents along with maple and dark caramel. There are hints of vanilla and dark fruits along with a trace of smoke. Made with Massachusetts maple syrup, English and Belgian yeasts and aged on oak, this is an exquisite sipping ale. IBUs noted at 50 and the ABV is 11%. I divided this 12 ounce bottle over 2 nights. Got 2 left from 2011 and 3 from 2012.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 4th, 2014, 3:11 pm

Holy hops! This has the potential to be one of the most insanely delicious 12 pack assortments ever. I might have to buy two (or three) of them.

http://beercamp.sierranevada.com/beer/b ... ng_company