Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: CTN Weight Loss Challenge!

Post by lawgrad91 » January 19th, 2014, 5:23 pm

windsor wrote:
windsor wrote:
IowaDevil wrote:AD & other having trouble finding Groups on phone/tablet apps. I contacted the company and that feature is not available on the apps. "They are considering it for future releases!" You have to log in online to see groups! I've not found anything else that is not available on the apps! :(

That sucks. Perhaps I will shift to another forum for that. In the mean time I have a link to the spreadsheet on my page!

I have a work around. On my droids the APP does not let me see the groups. If I go through my web browser to myfitnesspal.com lo and behold there it is. I can not test on iPad or iPhone as my house is an apple free zone.
Checked on the iPhone. Using the browser, the whole website is available. :happy-bouncyblue:
Iron Duke #1471997.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » January 19th, 2014, 5:42 pm

windsor wrote:
windsor wrote:
IowaDevil wrote:AD & other having trouble finding Groups on phone/tablet apps. I contacted the company and that feature is not available on the apps. "They are considering it for future releases!" You have to log in online to see groups! I've not found anything else that is not available on the apps! :(

That sucks. Perhaps I will shift to another forum for that. In the mean time I have a link to the spreadsheet on my page!

I have a work around. On my droids the APP does not let me see the groups. If I go through my web browser to myfitnesspal.com lo and behold there it is. I can not test on iPad or iPhone as my house is an apple free zone.
Yes, that can be done on both iPhone & iPad.
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » January 19th, 2014, 6:37 pm

Don't know why it took me so long. I do that with Facebook all the time.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » January 20th, 2014, 1:04 pm

Ladies, I am with you in spirit although unable to join your group due to blatant gender discrimination. :D

My goal is to get down to my pre-pregnancy weight (wait, WHAT?!? :veryconfused: :veryconfused: ). Given that Swee'Pea just turned 20, it's about effing time. I started on January 1, and my goal is to lose 28 lbs. This summer, I'm going on a two-week Scout trip to Philmont, NM and will be carrying about 40lbs backpack weight at high altitude.

Logging: myfitnesspal. Not going to bother with the fitbit; not much of a gadget person.
Diet: More salads and fruit at lunch; doing more vegetarian entrees when going out; smaller portions at home. Cut back on beer (sorry ddeac). Will go 100% dry during Lent.
Exercise: Walking at lunch, hitting the gym 2-3 times per week. Staying with elliptical and some weights. A bit of yoga for stretching, and pickup ball when I can make it. On weekends, Mrs. Turk and I usually do a Les Mills "Body Pump" workout class at the Y. One hour, light weights, lots of reps, targeted muscle groups, mostly bad Top 40 music (although some Nirvana, a Bruce cover, Pearl Jam, or U2 once in a while). Very good workout and highly recommended. When the weather warms up, I'll start running some laps on a soft track; going to stay off the asphalt and concrete to go easy on my creaky knees.

For me, it's more important to log everything I eat, and OK to just guesstimate the exercise. First couple of weeks sucked; was always hungry and bloated from all the water. This weekend, I felt some progress for the first time. Pants seem more comfortable and my energy level is picking up.
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » January 20th, 2014, 1:41 pm

Turk wrote:Ladies, I am with you in spirit although unable to join your group due to blatant gender discrimination. :D

My goal is to get down to my pre-pregnancy weight (wait, WHAT?!? :veryconfused: :veryconfused: ). Given that Swee'Pea just turned 20, it's about effing time. I started on January 1, and my goal is to lose 28 lbs. This summer, I'm going on a two-week Scout trip to Philmont, NM and will be carrying about 40lbs backpack weight at high altitude.

Logging: myfitnesspal. Not going to bother with the fitbit; not much of a gadget person.
Diet: More salads and fruit at lunch; doing more vegetarian entrees when going out; smaller portions at home. Cut back on beer (sorry ddeac). Will go 100% dry during Lent.
Exercise: Walking at lunch, hitting the gym 2-3 times per week. Staying with elliptical and some weights. A bit of yoga for stretching, and pickup ball when I can make it. On weekends, Mrs. Turk and I usually do a Les Mills "Body Pump" workout class at the Y. One hour, light weights, lots of reps, targeted muscle groups, mostly bad Top 40 music (although some Nirvana, a Bruce cover, Pearl Jam, or U2 once in a while). Very good workout and highly recommended. When the weather warms up, I'll start running some laps on a soft track; going to stay off the asphalt and concrete to go easy on my creaky knees.

For me, it's more important to log everything I eat, and OK to just guesstimate the exercise. First couple of weeks sucked; was always hungry and bloated from all the water. This weekend, I felt some progress for the first time. Pants seem more comfortable and my energy level is picking up.

We could adopt you as our official Mascot Turk!

Seriously, good luck. I too find logging all my food to be very helpful. You have a good reasonable goal. Stop by any time for some support and encouragement!
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » January 20th, 2014, 2:20 pm

Turk wrote:Ladies, I am with you in spirit although unable to join your group due to blatant gender discrimination. :D

Great work, Turk! For the record, who says men can't be lovely? I think you're doing a Lovely job and are an inspiration!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 20th, 2014, 4:14 pm

Turk, are you going to the reunion in April?

Water bloat! YUCK!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 20th, 2014, 6:59 pm

Best of luck, Turk! We are all in this together.

Logging what I eat helps me immensely. It especially helps me not want to eat anything before bedtime. That, and the thought of Windsor cracking me in the back of the head. (Not that Windsor has ever threatened to do so, but the mental image does keep me out of the cabinets.)

Oh for the heady days of college, when I could switch to water from Coke and lose weight just doing that. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 20th, 2014, 8:13 pm

Welcome to the club, Turk! I think the more the merrier when it comes to encouraging each other on lifestyle changes leading to weight loss.

In the category of logging food, I've gone back to Weight Watchers Online. I've successfully lost weight before on this diet, so I'm hopeful that it will help. Started logging food today. My Fitbit arrived this afternoon; I promptly charged it and walked for about an hour. I'm hoping that the combination of logging food with the Weight Watchers app and logging activity with the FitBit will keep me on track to lose some weight. Both logging of points (and keeping under the daily total) and activity (going above the daily recommended amount) appeal to my competitive nature. Whatever works, right?

I've been doing a lot of background reading on Alzheimer's relating to my future research plans. There's a theory, gaining popularity, that Alzheimer's is caused by a dysregulation of glycolysis (or insulin resistance) in the brain. In fact, some refer to it as type 3 diabetes. Given my strong family history of diabetes, the reading I've done has provided even more encouragement for exercise and weight loss.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Turk

Post by Turk » February 2nd, 2014, 5:49 pm

CathyCA wrote:Turk, are you going to the reunion in April?

Water bloat! YUCK!

:9f:
Dunno yet. I'm overdue, but not clear on the work sched.
Turk

Post by Turk » February 2nd, 2014, 5:55 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Welcome to the club, Turk! I think the more the merrier when it comes to encouraging each other on lifestyle changes leading to weight loss.

In the category of logging food, I've gone back to Weight Watchers Online. I've successfully lost weight before on this diet, so I'm hopeful that it will help. Started logging food today. My Fitbit arrived this afternoon; I promptly charged it and walked for about an hour. I'm hoping that the combination of logging food with the Weight Watchers app and logging activity with the FitBit will keep me on track to lose some weight. Both logging of points (and keeping under the daily total) and activity (going above the daily recommended amount) appeal to my competitive nature. Whatever works, right?

I've been doing a lot of background reading on Alzheimer's relating to my future research plans. There's a theory, gaining popularity, that Alzheimer's is caused by a dysregulation of glycolysis (or insulin resistance) in the brain. In fact, some refer to it as type 3 diabetes. Given my strong family history of diabetes, the reading I've done has provided even more encouragement for exercise and weight loss.
They had a weight watchers thing where I used to work some years ago, and a couple people on my project team tried it out. They really liked it.

I suspect Alzheimer's research will become more and more prominent as the baby boomers (and almost-boomers like me) get older and older...
Turk

Post by Turk » February 2nd, 2014, 5:57 pm

Oh, yeah, almost forgot to mention - on track with 5 lbs lost in Month #1.

(I'm limiting my splurges to significant Duke basketball games.)
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 2nd, 2014, 7:39 pm

Way to go, Turk! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

I fired up my Wii tonight and dug up my EA Sports Active II game. Started the first day of one of the Fitness Challenge programs. Hopefully I'll be good about making it through. During the work week, I'm getting especially good at taking stairs instead of the elevator. My office is on the 3rd floor. To get there is the equivalent of climbing 4 floors. By the end of the day I generally have 10-15 floors worth of stairs. I also have to go up a couple of flights of stairs to get to my apartment and I don't take the elevator for that, either. Now I just need to get more steps in!

I changed my username in MyFitnessPal to ArkieDukie. Figured that would make it easier for the rest of you to track me down. :D
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein