Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by devildeac » December 8th, 2013, 5:08 pm

Brainless on Cherries #12-Epic Brewing

Brewed November, 2011, bottled May, 2012 and purchased sometime last year along with the Brainless on Peaches. I read through some of our Brainless reviews (leaving myself wide open there) and I'm going to have to agree with our esteemed colleague and fellow beer knurd/nerd, fuse, on this one. It's their Brainless recipe, which is a Belgian style golden ale with flaked oats substituted for the wheat malt, which is then fermented a second time with cherry puree and then aged in Cabernet and Syrah oak barrels. Poured a thin-bodied, light red with aromas of cherries, wine and flowers. Tastes are the same with an initial sour impression, followed by sweetness from the candi sugar and fruit. Low IBUs, guessing 20-30, with high gravity and an ABV of 10.7%. It was rather medicinal (not a good trait) and had less substance/body/taste than I would have imagined/expected. I'd wager I liked this a bit more than fuse, but probably not much more. Also shared with my son, daughter and son-in-law last PM and enjoyed even less than anticipated as the score was about 31-0 about the time we opened this 750 ml capped bottle. Worth a 3-4 ounce tasting if available but would not seek out or purchase again.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 11th, 2013, 9:43 pm

Christmas Ale-Great Lakes Brewing

Fresh from the shores of Lake Erie (well, not quite as my son brought back a 6er of this from the Akron, Ohio area after Thanksgiving), this is my first tasting ever of this brew which I heard was distributed in the Triangle area with some stores imposing a limit of two 6ers per customer. It's basically an amber ale but at 7.5% ABV, it really is an "imperial" amber. Poured a light copper color with a small head, ginger makes the first pass on your olfactory lobe, followed by cinnamon. There's also a bit of baked bread/croissant aroma. Cinnamon is also the first taste, along with the cinnamon. The honey adds a nice sweetness to the mix, like you might drizzle some of it on your breakfast toast/biscuit. Very mild hop presence as the IBUs are only 30. If you want to avoid spiced seasonal brews, you might not want to bother with this one. However, if you like winter ales and this combination sounds intriguing, I'd certainly look for a pint on draft or sample a bottle if offered during the season. Pair with chocolate covered pretzels or fruitcake (ducks and runs).
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 20th, 2013, 9:57 pm

Barely (or should that be barley?) saved fromn page 2.

Pumpkin Ale-Kennebunkport Brewing

A gift (sort of-he'll get a couple 6ers in return in his Christmas stocking/case) from my son last weekend after his trip to Ohio. I'm gonna guess that this is a Trader Joes (contract) brew that he picked up during his travels, along with Great Lakes Blackout Stout and Christmas Ale. Poured a light orange-yellow color with a small head. Smelled and tasted like pumpkin pie with a modest amount of pumpkin and the usual suspects in spices though they were not listed on the bottle. Guessing IBU of 20 and the stated ABV is 4.7%, so it was a bit light and thin. Solid though not special. Appreciated but will not be sought after.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 22nd, 2013, 10:10 pm

La Trappe Triple-De Koningshoeven Brewery

An authentic Trappist ale from (I think) the only monastery in the Netherlands designated in that manner. This was a corked and caged 750 ml bottle from duketaylor about 6 weeks ago. It is a bottle conditioned ale and poured a cloudy bronze color with a pleasant floral, sweet and spicy nose. Rather small head that did not linger and a palate of spices ("coriander and other spices and herbs"), caramel, brown sugar, orange and banana. I think IBUs listed on the bottle were 27 so the bitterness is minimal. ABV of 8% which is a bit low for the style. Pairings would be fruit and soft cheeses pre-meal, lighter/fruited fish and chicken entrees/meals, by itself or with a cobbler for dessert. Westmalle is still the standard here but this is a very good product. Thanks, Chuck. Can't wait to "repay" you with a visit or three to your project next spring/summer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 22nd, 2013, 10:11 pm

Grand Cru-St. Louis Brewery

Brewed with love on 11/25/11 (hey, the sticker on the bottom of the 750 ml bottle said so), this ale probably fits best into the Belgian golden ale category. Poured a hazy amber-gold hue with a modest amount of fizzy head that was not well retained. Four grains (two of which are wheat), two strange hop varieties combine with coriander and orange peel, extra sugar and a Belgian abbey yeast to form an elixir with caramel, citrus and medium brown sugar tastes. Little hop presence with the IBUs at 17 pushes the scale toward a bit of booziness at an ABV of 9%. I'd serve this chilled moderately in a goblet with my usual suggestions of soft cheeses or a fruit plate or as a dinner beverage with fruity toppings for chicken or seafood. Of course, sipping on this after dinner would work, too. I think I actually bought this myself in Lexington, Ky while visiting family last year.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 24th, 2013, 9:35 pm

Sidamo Coffee Stout-Hardywood Brewing

From their PR department:

"Our quest to brew the quintessential coffee beer began over a cupping with the coffee gurus from Richmond’s Lamplighter Roasting Company. Their Ethiopia Sidamo coffee was masterfully roasted to highlight the single origin bean’s bright, crisp body and distinctive blueberry undertones, making it harmonize beautifully with our Russian Imperial Stout. May this beer warm your spirits in these brisk winter months.

Best with:

Hardywood Sidamo Coffee Stout pairs masterfully with pastries, with spiced doughnuts and with all manner of sweet cakes. The roast chocolate character in Sidamo Coffee Stout embraces sweet cream- or chocolate-based desserts, while the beer’s pleasant city roast coffee bitterness provides a harmonious contrast. Perhaps the perfect complement to Sidamo Coffee Stout would be a Belgian waffle with warm chocolate sauce and a side of whipped cream and berries."

From my lips:

Poured a nearly onyx color with a creamy mocha head. Very pleasant aromas of dark roasted coffee with dark chocolate nibs. Tastes of the same and the coffee was not overpowering. Moderately boozy with an ABV of 9.3% but balanced with an IBU rating of 55, both pretty typical for the Russian imperial stout style. This was an amazingly smooth, quaffable high gravity ale and I'd have it by itself for dessert or with any of the delicacies mentioned above. Thanks to duketaylor from this summer for sending this down to NC with Ozzie. Adds on to the number of trips we'll make to his new brewpub in South Hill, Virginia this spring/summer/fall.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 26th, 2013, 8:36 pm

09-09-09 Vertical Epic-Stone Brewing

The long awaited/anticipated vertical tasting of several of the Vertical Epics occurred tonight at our house with the day after Christmas dinner feast. This is basically an imperial porter as it poured a dark but not opaque brown hue with a mildly foamy head. Chocolate malts impart the dark roasted flavors of a blend between milk and dark chocolates, tangerine peel adds citrus and a hint of bitterness and vanilla beans and French oak aging bring smoothness, earthiness and, of course, vanilla. Enjoyed chronologically, six of us sipped our aliquots before dinner and I had an extra ounce or two from the capped 750 ml bottles because they were my beers. I think this was my favorite of the sampling and would have been delicious had we saved it until last or for dessert but we ended up being a bit too full and a wee bit tipsy by the end of our meal that we were happy to have partaken this as our aperitif. IBUs unknown but I'd guess 30-40 and the ABV was 8.9%.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 26th, 2013, 8:37 pm

10-10-10 Vertical Epic-Stone Brewing

Beer-wine! Two very interesting twists to this Belgian style golden/triple ale. First, the addition of chamomile flowers, triticale and Belgian amber candi sugar to the brewing lending herbal and floral notes with a hint of mustiness and sweetness. Second, the addition of Muscat, Gewurtztraminer and Sauvignon Blanc grape pressings from what was apparently an excellent grape harvest by the South Coast Winery in Temecula in 2010. Poured a slightly cloudy golden-amber with a small head, the aromas were floral, sweet and juicy. Tastes matched the aromas and made an excellent pairing with freshly made butternut squash soup and a mixed green salad with Fuji apples, candied pecans, craisins and feta. For the family dining who don't like wine too much, this was not popular. For the adventurous souls, we wished we could have had another bottle just to share with another cup of soup and bowl of salad. I'd guess IBUs of 10-20 with a potent ABV of 9.5%. But, there was another course and another bottle waiting to be uncapped.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 26th, 2013, 8:37 pm

11-11-11 Vertical Epic-Stone Brewing

This was probably the least favorite of the evening but still made for an interesting tasting and pairing. The best way to describe the base brew I guess would be an imperial amber ale. Brewed with Belgian yeasts, the color was a dark amber and slightly cloudy. The addition of Anaheim chilies gave a bit of heat which was muted by the spice of the whole cinnamon sticks used in the brewing process. We shared the 750 ml bottle with the main meal which was a chicken/rice/broccoli casserole with some Christmas leftovers of mashies, congealed cranberry salad and fresh cranberry sauce/compote. I'd guess IBUs around 30 and the ABV of this monster was 9.4%, so, by the time we were all stuffed, we were all also mildly buzzed and had absolutely no room or inclination for desserts, either liquid or solid.

And that ends the holiday vertical in the devildeac household. However, in a couple hours, we may have a beverage and dessert sampling/pairing. Do I hear pecan chocolate chip pie, chocolate peanut butter balls, fruitcake and Creme Brulee Stout calling our names?
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 31st, 2013, 11:49 am

Fat Jack-Boston Brewing (aka Sam Adams and brewed in Cincinnati, Boston and various other locations)

Double pumpkin ale brewed with 28 pounds of pumpkin per barrel and spices. Lots of them, including cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and allspice. Smells and tastes like a liquid pumpkin cocktail. The base is an amber ale which poured clear with a small head. I'll guess the IBUs about 30 and the ABV is 8.5%, hence the designtion double pumpkin. I shared this oddly shaped bomber with a daughter and her husband Sunday evening. It was purchased 2-3 weeks ago for about $7-8 at Total Wine with a buck off 'cuz they were trying to clear inventory after Thanksgiving. Good purchase. I think I still like Southern Tier Pumking, DFH Punk'n and Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin better but this is a good fall beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 31st, 2013, 11:49 am

Black Chocolate Stout-Brooklyn Brewing

Annual review. Maybe I oughtta just recycle my last several postings. Still call this one of my favorites. Poured an inky black with dark chocolate on the nose and taste buds. Small, tan head. A bit of bitterness from the hops like most Russian Imperial Stouts, but also some bitterness from the heavily roasted grains. A splash of whiskey also coats the palate. I think the IBUs are 60-70 if my recall is correct and this batch weighs in at 10% ABV. Best served at cellar temperatures and sipped over 30-45 minutes. We actually shared 12 ounces of this among 5 people on Saturday night and the end of the previously posted tastings. Eight bucks for a 4 pack. Makes a nice base beverage if you want to make a beer float, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 31st, 2013, 11:50 am

Special Double Cream Stout-Bell's/Kalamazoo Brewing

This was a draft pint shared with my daughter at Taco Mac yesterday with a huge plate of chicken nachos. Fuse reviewed this upthread and did his usual outstanding assessment of the beer. Served a bit too cold, this became even more flavorful as it warmed during our extended late lunch/early dinner break yesterday. Almost pitch black with a creamy tan head, the nose is espresso and dark chocolate with a heavily roasted/slightly burned scent. Tastes mirror the aromas with an almost chewy, but smooth and silky mouthfeel. Couldn't find the IBUs anywhere but I'd guess 50-60 but I may be fooled by the bitterness of the dark, dark roasting of the grains. ABV is 6.1% so it's not an imperial stout. Paired well with dinner and the last 3-4 ounces at room temperature made a nice mini-dessert. We were too full to have a brownie sundae or slice of chocolate cake to finish our meal.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » December 31st, 2013, 11:50 am

Invocation-Wild Heaven Craft Brews

Drink local!

This was a gem of a find that we discovered yesterday afternoon at Taco Mac 'cuz they were out of Festive Ale. Released in fall, 2010 as one of two flagship brews from a relatively new brewery in Atlanta, it is labeled as a Belgian pale ale by Taco Mac but they are incorrect. It is clearly a Belgian golden ale in the Duvel/Golden Monkey style. Poured a hazy orange with aromas of fruity esters (bananas, mangoes, papayas) and tastes to match. I'll guess they added Belgian candi sugar as it is a bit sweet, enhanced by the ABV of 8.5%. IBUs are 48, a bit high for a golden ale but still very easy on the palate. Belgian yeast imparts subtle spicy and pepper-y notes, too. I shared this pint draft with my daughter also and the last 3-4 ounces after the meal were very pleasant. Paired well with her southwest salad and my nachos. Would also be nice with fruits/cheeses before or after dinner or by itself in a goblet.

If you live in Atlanta or are visiting, worth seeking out. In fact, I may try to find a 4 pack or bomber of this before leaving town tomorrow.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2014, 7:58 pm

My daughter gave me a mixed 6er for Christmas so this will be a series of 2.5 ounce reviews for the ~2.5 ounce samples five of us shared last PM.

Weeping Willow Wit-Mother Earth Brewing

Drink local!

Poured a hazy yellow-straw with a small head. Citrus tang from the wheat and the orange peel and a bit of spice from the coriander. IBUs low, likely 20-30 range as it's a wheat beer with an ABV of 5%. Good starter beer and better in warmer seasons.

Their motto: Peace, love and beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2014, 7:59 pm

Shiner Holiday Cheer-Spoetzl Brewing

This is labeled as a Bavarian-style dark wheat beer. Well, it was an amber-brown and very clear, unlike a typical wheat beer which is usually cloudy. No citrus notes either, also typical for a wheat beer. Aromas and tastes as expected of ripe peaches and pecans, almost like a liquid peach-pecan pie, if there is such a recipe. A tad bitter from the nuttiness, I think, and not from much IBUs, estimating 10-20 here. No ABV listed but I'd guess not over 5%. A pleasant holiday creation worth sharing but not worth a whole 6er for yourself.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2014, 7:59 pm

Blackened Voodoo-Dixie Brewing (from Joseph Huber Brewing)

We took a serious quality hit with these next two. I vaguely remember this from early in my tasting years, or perhaps I should post that it's tough to forget bad beers. It's a lager and poured a clear amber brown with little head, the aromas were wet cardboard and burned caramel and the tastes were worse. Nothing redeeming here and the IBU and ABV are not worth listing as this is one to avoid.

My first PSA of the day.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2014, 8:00 pm

Optimator-Spaten-Brau Brewing

I'd have thought that having brewed this since 1397 and having the Reinheitsgebot law of 1487 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reinheitsgebot), the Germans would have learned that putting good German beers in green bottles is a very bad idea. I generally like doppel/bocks but not this one. Skunky smell and tastes. Even the ABV of 7.6% couldn't save this one. I think I'd really enjoy this on draft if I could find it but this is another brew to avoid.

PSA #2 for the day.

My daughter learned a couple valuable beer lessons with the preceding two samples. Beer critics are a tough group to please.
Not leaving until the game is over.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2014, 8:01 pm

Our Special Ale-Anchor Brewing

The 39th brewing of this fine holiday offering met (or surprised) all taste expectations. I think this is a porter by tradition and once again, none of us could identify the spice/s in the brew. We went to the spice rack and sniffed ginger, allspice, cinnamon and nutmeg and could not come to an agreement on whether it was a single addition or several additives, but we all agreed that this slightly cloudy, medium to dark brown pour would make a nice pairing with any sort of spice cake, cookie or pie. I'd guess the IBUs were 30-40 and the ABV was 5.5%. There should be a 6er of this on every beer aficionado's wish list for the holidays with 1 or 2 for the current holiday season, a couple or 3 to share/trade and 1-2 for sequestering to compare with next year's offering.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2014, 8:01 pm

Mocha Porter-Rogue Brewing

No chocolate or coffee in the list of ingredients like some of us thought. Those flavors and aromas were present simply due to varying degrees of roasting from the chocolate and black malts. Poured a medium to dark brown with a small head. A shade more bitter than a typical porter at 54.1 IBU with an ABV of about 5-6%. Rogue does not list ABV, only Plato. A solid brew and one that would pair nicely with BBQ fare and spiced or chocolate desserts.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2014, 8:13 pm

Pluot-New Belgium Brewing

I'm kind of slow as I think fuse reviewed this a month or three ago and I just got around to buying a bomber of this a couple weeks ago to share at Christmas time with family which is exactly what we did in Atlanta. Poured a yellow-golden and slightly hazy with a very fruity nose as one might expect. A bit of funky/sourness in the aromas from the Belgian and Brett yeasts. Sweet fruitiness and booziness throughout the tasting with the expected plum and apricot flavors along with a hint of sourness and spiciness from the two yeast varieties. Next to no hop presence with IBUs of 5. Rather high ABV of 10%, in the range of a Belgian golden/triple ale, so be careful with this one. Serve mildly chilled in a snifter with your expected pairings of fruits and soft cheeses before dinner, with fruited chicken or seafood entrees or as a dessert in a glass after dinner.