Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 2nd, 2013, 1:31 pm

windsor wrote:
bluebutton wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:My ex ran off to San Antonio. I didn't know how big it is, she told me it's the 8th largest city in the country. Enjoy the barbecued beef DF!
My son purchased a smoker like mine, does brisket in it and calls it BBQ. Told him that when I get down there I am going to teach San Antonio that BBQ comes from a pig and not a cow.

I did not know what brisket was til I moved to Austin. My neighbor fortunately shares pulled pork over brisket.

Although to be fair and to reveal my food ignorance, I didn't know what a tamale was until I moved to LA.

Hailing from NY, I knew what brisket was...although we do cook it a little differently then they do in San Antonio :D

mmmm brisket....
There is BBQ'd brisket, like CB&B makes, and then there is Val's brisket, like I bring to tailgates. There is no comparison, other than the cut of beef. Mine is tender and delicious. Smoked brisket, not so much. :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 2nd, 2013, 1:34 pm

I didn't know what brisket was until I was in college and played rec league volleyball with a couple originally from Texas, who fed the team on occasion. =p~
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » February 2nd, 2013, 3:44 pm

windsor wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:What I do like are the kalaches and breakfast tacos. The former is still relatively local, the latter are sold elsewhere by the national chains as breakfast burritos. I'm not even sure that kalaches is spelled correctly.

My Hungarian born grandmother made kalaches...I expect we are not talking about the same thing - unless you mean a sweet pastry of slavic/czech/hungarian origins.
These are hot dogs or sausages in a semi-sweet bread/bun. Jalapenos and other things are often mixed in.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 2nd, 2013, 3:52 pm

Doing a little research, they appear to be of Czech origin with a San Antonio flare to them.

http://kolachestop.com/

Shipley's also has them...
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 2nd, 2013, 4:19 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Doing a little research, they appear to be of Czech origin with a San Antonio flare to them.

http://kolachestop.com/

Shipley's also has them...
Glad to know this is a Texas thing. They're big in Galveston as well, and I wondered why I had never heard of them.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 2nd, 2013, 4:20 pm

Love the new jacket, sister lawgrad! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 2nd, 2013, 4:45 pm

I found out some exciting news yesterday. I spent much of the week helping RoadRunner generate preliminary data for our collaborators at MD Anderson. They're getting ready to apply for a huge grant, and it sounds as though funding is pretty much guaranteed. RoadRunner met with them on Thursday and learned that this work is going to be submitted to Nature: Medicine. It will be a follow-up to the paper that they've been invited to submit to New England Journal of Medicine. NEJM paper will be the clinical side; the Nature: Medicine paper will be the basic research side. I'll probably be a ways down the "et al." list, but I'll be there. Don't know how much I can say about the project other than that it's way cool and beyond exciting.

The leader of the MD Anderson part of the group is giving a seminar for our department this coming Friday over this work. Suffice it to say that this guy's work is VERY impressive. He's making some serious strides in finding a cure for glioblastoma. I'm honored to be a part of the project. I don't know if he'll talk about any of the preliminary data for his grant, or if all of it will be the clinical stuff. Think it would help me politically if I'm at least mentioned in the acknowledgments at the end of his talk.

All of this goes a long way toward making up for being left off the big breast cancer project by PHB. This is probably a better project than that one, truth be told. If this work really does make it to Nature: Medicine, and I believe it's big enough to end up there, I will be sorely tempted to send PHB a copy of the paper. Accompanying it will be a note that thanks him for giving me the necessary skills to make a contribution to such a valuable project. I'm honest enough to admit that it's true and give credit where it's due, but the snark in me will want to ask him where NuBarbie is on the learning curve. I think all of you know enough about the history to understand.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 2nd, 2013, 4:50 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
image.jpg
Back of jacket.
That thing has aged great!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 2nd, 2013, 6:16 pm

Wait! Who is RoadRunner? Congrats AD! B-) :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » February 2nd, 2013, 6:32 pm

He's no friend of Wile E. Coyote.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 2nd, 2013, 6:38 pm

You go, AD! :happy-bouncyblue: ^:)^ :clap: :duke:
Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 2nd, 2013, 6:39 pm

Awesome AD! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » February 2nd, 2013, 6:50 pm

Congrats AD! :-BD
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 2nd, 2013, 7:24 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Wait! Who is RoadRunner? Congrats AD! B-) :9f:
Thanks, Ozzie! Road Runner is BarMinion's boss. We recently named her in the WWWD thread.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 2nd, 2013, 7:37 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:He's no friend of Wile E. Coyote.
Exactly! And my friend Wile E. Coyote is one of the reasons I am hoping our work is discussed in the Friday seminar. I would almost bet money that he'll try to weasel his way in on the project once he hears about it - or the Boss will try to get him into the project. Trust me, Road Runner will never let that happen. Intellectually speaking, she can run circles around Wile E and will have no problems leaving him in the dust.

From the WWWD thread, Wile E. Coyote is a new colleague who is not the most honest person in the world - nor is he the smartest.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 2nd, 2013, 7:38 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:You go, AD! :happy-bouncyblue: ^:)^ :clap: :duke:
Thanks!
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 2nd, 2013, 7:40 pm

windsor wrote:Awesome AD! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Thanks! It's always fun when a cool project reaps big dividends. :happy-bouncyblue:
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 2nd, 2013, 7:41 pm

IowaDevil wrote:Congrats AD! :-BD
Thanks, ID!
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 2nd, 2013, 8:09 pm

Hahaha.

Watching the kensucky-A&M game, in College Station, TX.

ESPN just showed a fan with an "I still hate Laettner" shirt.

:duke: Suck it, dude.
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 2nd, 2013, 8:31 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Hahaha.

Watching the kensucky-A&M game, in College Station, TX.

ESPN just showed a fan with an "I still hate Laettner" shirt.

:duke: Suck it, dude.
Made me start watching!

Most people around here don't seem to be basketball fans - even the die-hard Aggie fans. They're really into football, though.
-- Albert Einstein