10%
Not a big fan, but no biggie...
10%
I'm disgusted by it...
50%

Total votes: 10
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: So now the rich can just buy life too?

Post by ArkieDukie » June 17th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Jaywalking should be an issue. If I ever hit somebody who is jaywalking and they try to sue me, I'm suing back. I did almost hit a guy once who was jaywalking, at night, and wearing all black. I did not see him until the last possible moment. You cannot tell me the accident, had it happened, would have been my fault. Crosswalks are there for the drivers as much as for the pedestrians, it says to me, here's a place you need to check for pedestrians. There are often too many other things going on that require a driver's attention to be constantly aware of jaywalking pedestrians. California is wrong. Jaywalking is a driving hazard and should be treated accodingly. So are cyclists who ignore the rules of the road.
ITA. I would hate to drive in downtown Philly simply because of the cyclists who weave between cars and ignore stop lights. Most of them weren't wearing helmits, either. :o

For some reason, in St. Louis, you take your life into your own hands even if you cross the street in a crosswalk. I have been almost hit more times than I can count crossing in the crosswalk when I have the right of way. Lots of people jaywalk here; maybe it's just because you're risking your life regardless of where you cross.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » June 17th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Bostondevil wrote:... If I ever hit somebody who is jaywalking and they try to sue me, I'm suing back. I did almost hit a guy once who was jaywalking, at night, and wearing all black.
I've got a great TAN going on and spandex! :D
Bostondevil wrote:.. I did not see him until the last possible moment. You cannot tell me the accident, ..., would have been my fault.
Your right dear, it is all sham's fault (oops, I mean my fault.....)
Bostondevil wrote:...There are often too many other things going on that require a driver's attention to be constantly aware of jaywalking pedestrians.
Yes, I agree..... I have seen tooo many other priorities going on .... like makeup, reading a book/newspaper, should I say talking on cell phone, .... hummmm, texting..... what else could my evil mind dig up... beating the kids... (NOT - that's a Dad's job.... just kidding!)
Bostondevil wrote:... California is wrong. Jaywalking is ....
Not sure I am ready to say CA is wrong, but I MISS JAY LENO... the JAYWALKING WAS FUNNY AS HELL!!!! IT IS AMAZING HOW MANY STUPID PEOPLE ARE OUT THERE ......
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 18th, 2009, 12:00 am

Bostondevil wrote:Jaywalking should be an issue. If I ever hit somebody who is jaywalking and they try to sue me, I'm suing back. I did almost hit a guy once who was jaywalking, at night, and wearing all black. I did not see him until the last possible moment. You cannot tell me the accident, had it happened, would have been my fault. Crosswalks are there for the drivers as much as for the pedestrians, it says to me, here's a place you need to check for pedestrians. There are often too many other things going on that require a driver's attention to be constantly aware of jaywalking pedestrians. California is wrong. Jaywalking is a driving hazard and should be treated accordingly. So are cyclists who ignore the rules of the road.
Like when you, Bostondevil, are drinking your coffee, talking on the cell phone, texting on your Blackberry and putting on mascara all at the same time, not to mention turning around to whack the kid in the back seat? A few years ago, I saw a woman do just that in stop and go traffic, and she smacked into the car in front of her pretty hard.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » June 18th, 2009, 1:13 am

I am allowed to be self-righteous about jaywalkers and cyclists because I do none of those things you mentioned while I'm driving a car. A car is a dangerous instrument that should not be operated by the distracted. I have never put on make-up, sent a text message, or drunk coffee while driving, absolutely true. I've never driven drunk either, never. I don't drive if I'd had anything, and I mean anything, alchoholic to drink. Have I talked on my cell phone? Yes. Sample of the cell phones calls I allow myself while driving
1) Honey, I'm stuck in traffic, can you pick up the kids?
2) 9-1-1 to report an emergency.
I do not 'chat' on my cell phone while driving. Never have, never will. I will drink a cold beverage and I admit, I have eaten food while driving. If my kid's screaming becomes too distracting and I can't safely pull the car over, I turn the radio up loud enough to drown them out so I can concentrate on what I'm doing. They don't like it when I do that, it's highly effective at ultimately lowering the sound level in the car. So, if you jaywalk and I hit you, I promise you, it's your fault.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 18th, 2009, 9:34 am

I have TOTALLY done that (the turning the sound up). I WILL chat on my cell phone, but I always use an earpiece so I'm not fumbling with the phone.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
TNTDevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by TNTDevil » June 18th, 2009, 9:45 am

Ben63 wrote:What pisses me off more than anything is he gets 30 days for killing a human and Michael Vick gets 23 months for killing some dogs. Now I'm not saying what Vick did was right, but lets please gets our priorities straight. And Vick has to suffer even more public criticism than Stallworth ever will. Part of that comes from the fact Vick is a huge name, but seriously this is just ridiculous.
Mr. Vick didn't get sent to prison just for "killing dogs". He got the more severe penalty because he ran an ongoing, interstate criminal enterprise and, even worse, lied to Federal investigators.

Always remember... the force will... er... it's rarely the crime, it's the cover up that gets you put away.
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 19th, 2009, 2:59 pm

Stallworth has been suspended indefinitely by the NFL.

In 1998 Leonard Little was suspended 8 games for a similar incident. That's half a season under the old, must less strict regime. Goodell will keep him out for a long time (Adams Jones missed a year for incidents that never led to a single conviction). If Stallworth plays this year, I'll be shocked. He may even miss part of next season.

I'm not sure about the NFL's CBA, but I would guess that a prolonged suspension will lead to the Browns cutting Stallworth. Given that there are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL, if Cleveland cuts him, Stallworth will never see any of the remaining salary on his current contract. Stallworth is 29 and will be at least 30 before he plays again. The odds of him ever seeing big time NFL money again are slim, at best.

I know some in this thread think he got off easy. The collateral consequences of his actions, however, suggest otherwise.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 19th, 2009, 5:55 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Stallworth has been suspended indefinitely by the NFL.

In 1998 Leonard Little was suspended 8 games for a similar incident. That's half a season under the old, must less strict regime. Goodell will keep him out for a long time (Adams Jones missed a year for incidents that never led to a single conviction). If Stallworth plays this year, I'll be shocked. He may even miss part of next season.

I'm not sure about the NFL's CBA, but I would guess that a prolonged suspension will lead to the Browns cutting Stallworth. Given that there are no guaranteed contracts in the NFL, if Cleveland cuts him, Stallworth will never see any of the remaining salary on his current contract. Stallworth is 29 and will be at least 30 before he plays again. The odds of him ever seeing big time NFL money again are slim, at best.

I know some in this thread think he got off easy. The collateral consequences of his actions, however, suggest otherwise.
He's been suspended indefinitely, which just means that Goodell hasn't met with him yet and hasn't decided what punishment to mete out. We'll see. Nobody but Goodell can tell you what it will finally be. I'm not saying he WON'T get a long suspension, but heck, he could still get four games or less. We just don't know.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 1st, 2009, 6:22 pm

The Miami Herald has released that Stallworth had marijuana in his system as well as alcohol when he killed the pedestrian. So he was not only driving drunk, he was high on an illegal substance. I'm a supporter of legalizing marijuana, licensing it, regulating it, and taxing the stuffing out of it. However, it is still an illegal substance. it surprises me even more that he got off with thirty days considering that.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/break ... 21770.html

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » July 2nd, 2009, 10:20 pm

bjornolf wrote:The Miami Herald has released that Stallworth had marijuana in his system as well as alcohol when he killed the pedestrian. So he was not only driving drunk, he was high on an illegal substance. I'm a supporter of legalizing marijuana, licensing it, regulating it, and taxing the stuffing out of it. However, it is still an illegal substance. it surprises me even more that he got off with thirty days considering that.

%%-
Pot can stay in your system for weeks. No proof he was high, and in fact, since the article says they found "traces," it's very likely that was not from recent usage.

It does explain more his indefinite suspension from the NFL.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » July 2nd, 2009, 11:47 pm

DevilAlumna wrote:
bjornolf wrote:The Miami Herald has released that Stallworth had marijuana in his system as well as alcohol when he killed the pedestrian. So he was not only driving drunk, he was high on an illegal substance. I'm a supporter of legalizing marijuana, licensing it, regulating it, and taxing the stuffing out of it. However, it is still an illegal substance. it surprises me even more that he got off with thirty days considering that.

%%-
Pot can stay in your system for weeks. No proof he was high, and in fact, since the article says they found "traces," it's very likely that was not from recent usage.

Excellent point! B-) #:-s :-? @-) @-) @-) @-) @-) @-)
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » July 3rd, 2009, 11:18 am

DevilAlumna wrote:

%%-

True. There are several factors that go into how long pot stays in your system. Because it rests in fat cells, the more often you smoke, the more accumulation you have, and the more likely you are to have it in your system for several weeks. But, as a football player, Stallworth is probably pretty lean and works out a lot. That can help get it out of your system quickly. An athletic person who smokes once in a blue moon will probably have a clean system in a few days.

Nonetheless, as DA notes, "traces" suggests some residual amount in his system. I don't know about Florida, but in Colorado having pot in your system is not a de facto "impairment" for the purposes of DUI.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 13th, 2009, 11:15 am

FWIW, the NFL has suspended Donte Stallworth for the entire 2009 season:

http://www.ajc.com/sports/donte-stallwo ... 14689.html