LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » November 4th, 2011, 1:23 pm

Just be nice in your response! Not everyone knows how to spell every word correctly! And why use spell check, anyway. I am sure the MOTHER of the child, would be highly upset knowing someone they liked and trusted, was mocking them and being snarky. May even bring her to tears.

Be NICE! Take the high road. Be a kind and loving friend.
Love,
DWP
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » November 4th, 2011, 1:41 pm

Seems that I have been banned from here somehow. At least my home PC/router/modem. Not sure what is it, perhaps my ISP has blocked the site?
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » November 4th, 2011, 1:41 pm

I've logged in from work. I'm having PW'ing withdrawl.
bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebutton » November 4th, 2011, 1:43 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Just be nice in your response! Not everyone knows how to spell every word correctly! And why use spell check, anyway. I am sure the MOTHER of the child, would be highly upset knowing someone they liked and trusted, was mocking them and being snarky. May even bring her to tears.

Love,
DWP
Don't you think the content of the note is why people are picking on the form (spelling errors, etc.)?

Although I would love to hear more seasons parents give pointers on this, how does one tactfully discuss how one's child is doing? My husband and I are 1%-ers when it comes to test scores and I'm sensitive about this stuff. Although, currently it's not a big deal because my oldest is 2.5 and I have deliberately not read about what constitutes normal development. As long as her pediatrician says she's fine, I don't worry about her. But between nature and nurture there's a good chance our kids will be outliers in some regard, if only in exposure to very nerdy things. So clearly, it's deplorable to tell people "my kid is the awesomest and your's doesn't deserve to hold his/her toilet paper", but then what do you say? My impression is that my mom just spent a lot of time smiling and nodding when she was with other moms.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 4th, 2011, 1:54 pm

bluebutton wrote:
DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Just be nice in your response! Not everyone knows how to spell every word correctly! And why use spell check, anyway. I am sure the MOTHER of the child, would be highly upset knowing someone they liked and trusted, was mocking them and being snarky. May even bring her to tears.

Love,
DWP
Don't you think the content of the note is why people are picking on the form (spelling errors, etc.)?

Although I would love to hear more seasons parents give pointers on this, how does one tactfully discuss how one's child is doing? My husband and I are 1%-ers when it comes to test scores and I'm sensitive about this stuff. Although, currently it's not a big deal because my oldest is 2.5 and I have deliberately not read about what constitutes normal development. As long as her pediatrician says she's fine, I don't worry about her. But between nature and nurture there's a good chance our kids will be outliers in some regard, if only in exposure to very nerdy things. So clearly, it's deplorable to tell people "my kid is the awesomest and your's doesn't deserve to hold his/her toilet paper", but then what do you say? My impression is that my mom just spent a lot of time smiling and nodding when she was with other moms.
One other factoid that I left out: the mother who wrote this note is a high school English teacher.

As I wrote in my first post, my response will be "That is so nice."

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » November 4th, 2011, 2:27 pm

Doesnt matter that the Mother is an English teacher! With text message, I have forgotten how to spell.

There is so much bullying in the world, and kids are committing suicide over it. Don't you remember being in school, and someone was the "Bully" and nasty to other kids.

As adults, just learn to be nice! And just :D :D smile!

Love,
DWP
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 4th, 2011, 6:36 pm

My French colleague and I have spent the last several days transferring Excel files to my computer for formatting because we couldn't figure out why none of the functions would work correctly on her machine. After trying unsuccessfully, for the bazillionth time, to get the "if" function to work, she looked in the list of available funtions. As it turns out, "if" doesn't work when Excel is formatted in French. We should've been using the "si" function. #-o =))
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 4th, 2011, 6:40 pm

CathyCA wrote:
bluebutton wrote:

Love,
DWP

One other factoid that I left out: the mother who wrote this note is a high school English teacher.

As I wrote in my first post, my response will be "That is so nice."

:9f:
#-o That explains a lot, doesn't it? If the teacher can't write properly, how can they teach their students to do so?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 4th, 2011, 6:56 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:My French colleague and I have spent the last several days transferring Excel files to my computer for formatting because we couldn't figure out why none of the functions would work correctly on her machine. After trying unsuccessfully, for the bazillionth time, to get the "if" function to work, she looked in the list of available funtions. As it turns out, "if" doesn't work when Excel is formatted in French. We should've been using the "si" function. #-o =))
Are we talking French or Spanish? :?:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 4th, 2011, 7:02 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:My French colleague and I have spent the last several days transferring Excel files to my computer for formatting because we couldn't figure out why none of the functions would work correctly on her machine. After trying unsuccessfully, for the bazillionth time, to get the "if" function to work, she looked in the list of available funtions. As it turns out, "if" doesn't work when Excel is formatted in French. We should've been using the "si" function. #-o =))
Are we talking French or Spanish? :?:
"Si" is French for "if."
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » November 4th, 2011, 10:13 pm

Bud and I both got an Android 3 today. I'm hooked up to PDANet to tether to the internet. I need this to use when we are at the lake & other places with no Wifi or a charge for it. Bud's PC sorta died (virus?) so he will get hooked up later. Now we don't have to pay $60.00 a month to tether. It's going to be a challenge to teach Bud how to use it. He hates internet and cell phones but it's an necessity in our world today. I may need hugs later. :))
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 4th, 2011, 11:54 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:Bud and I both got an Android 3 today. I'm hooked up to PDANet to tether to the internet. I need this to use when we are at the lake & other places with no Wifi or a charge for it. Bud's PC sorta died (virus?) so he will get hooked up later. Now we don't have to pay $60.00 a month to tether. It's going to be a challenge to teach Bud how to use it. He hates internet and cell phones but it's an necessity in our world today. I may need hugs later. :))
Congrats on your new toy! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 4th, 2011, 11:56 pm

Lavabe wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:I had lunch with gadzooks yesterday. Time to start up the CTN New Jersey Mafia!

Oh wait, I better be careful with that language up here..... :violence-guntoting: :violence-rapidfire: :violence-guntoting: :violence-rapidfire: :violence-guntoting: :violence-rapidfire: :violence-guntoting:
Being that I am a native New Jersian, can I become a part of it?
:YMPRAY:
The CTN Atlanta Mafia is seemingly nonexistant these days.

Where is Earl Jam? Where is wilson? :-\
I was born in Jersey and there doesn't seem to be too much of a mafia in Kansas. Can I join?
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 5th, 2011, 12:47 am

Proud Aunt Bragging Time (again):

My niece will be running in the NYC Marathon this weekend. She has raised over $7,500 as part of the Leukemia Team in Training. Run, Amy, Run!
Life is good!
DukieInKansas

Post by DukieInKansas » November 5th, 2011, 12:55 am

Proud Aunt, Part Deux:

Nephew Alex will be at MIT this weekend participating in the iGem World Jamboree. He is a member of the iGem team from Penn State. Here is a link to what they did this summer: http://2011.igem.org/Team:Penn_State
Life is good!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 5th, 2011, 8:04 am

DukieInKansas wrote:Proud Aunt Bragging Time (again):

My niece will be running in the NYC Marathon this weekend. She has raised over $7,500 as part of the Leukemia Team in Training. Run, Amy, Run!
You have every right to be proud, Aunt DinK. That's impressive! Run, Amy, run!
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 5th, 2011, 8:06 am

DukieInKansas wrote:Proud Aunt, Part Deux:

Nephew Alex will be at MIT this weekend participating in the iGem World Jamboree. He is a member of the iGem team from Penn State. Here is a link to what they did this summer: http://2011.igem.org/Team:Penn_State
That's some neat science! Go, Alex, go!
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 5th, 2011, 8:11 am

Fun Friday Story, Part Deux

Around 1:30, PPI and Minion showed up for their regular meeting with PHB. (He was out of town and failed to mention it to them.) PPI started chatting with my French colleague, asking what she was working on. She then told him all that we had accomplished in the last couple of years and what we had done this past week. He asked if she did any of her mass spec work in France; her response was, "No; I only work with the best." You should've seen the looks on PPI and Minion's faces! :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :9f: (No, my French colleague was not aware of the manuscript drama; that's what made it classic.)
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 5th, 2011, 8:15 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Fun Friday Story, Part Deux

Around 1:30, PPI and Minion showed up for their regular meeting with PHB. (He was out of town and failed to mention it to them.) PPI started chatting with my French colleague, asking what she was working on. She then told him all that we had accomplished in the last couple of years and what we had done this past week. He asked if she did any of her mass spec work in France; her response was, "No; I only work with the best." You should've seen the looks on PPI and Minion's faces! :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :9f: (No, my French colleague was not aware of the manuscript drama; that's what made it classic.)
:ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymparty:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » November 5th, 2011, 9:48 am

I know 2 that are in the NYC Marathon this weekend.

Coach Cutcliff show is on NOW on Fox Sports South network.

The best to our "Miami Connection" : Connor Vernon and Donavon Varner. Lets Go Duke!