The Job Search Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Re: The Job Search Thread

Post by colchar » October 18th, 2011, 7:42 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Have any of you read the book "What Color is Your Parachute?" I highly recommend it for anyone going through the process of looking for a job. It's an extremely enlightening look at modern job searching.The author suggests using a combination of several strategies for finding a job. According to the chapter I finished last night, one of the most effective ways to find a job is through friends or family. In fact, the author contends that "underground" jobs are the key; most positions are not even advertised, and the successful candidate is a promotion from within (least risky, a known commodity) or someone from outside that is known to people who work in the company. Least effective method: applying for advertised positions. Allegedly most of the materials are never even read. That would be consistent with my luck so far - I've gotten calls for the positions that my friend has recommended me for and have heard nothing from the others.
Colchar, this is a QFE for you. I highly recommend this book. I checked out the ebook from my local library. In any event, it might give you some ideas for how to find the ideal job for your. Sending vibes that this happens soon. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Thanks for recommendation folks (and the vibes!). I had heard of that book but had never read it so I grabbed a copy from my local library this evening and will start reading it later tonight.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » October 20th, 2011, 9:53 am

I found my copy of "Who Moved My Cheese." Another good little read.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Turk » October 20th, 2011, 6:13 pm

Meh. I didn't like it and don't understand the appeal. Platitudes and oversimplification...
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » October 24th, 2011, 9:37 am

The book was a best seller! KISS
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » October 24th, 2011, 10:49 am

Turk wrote:Meh. I didn't like it and don't understand the appeal. Platitudes and oversimplification...
A number of people I know have read it and gotten a lot out of it and thoroughly enjoyed it. They found it quite helpful.

I read it with a "well DUH who didn't know THAT"...but I am a geek and if you live in IT you don't tend to have issues with change. To be any good, you have to not embrace it...daily....hell I go looking for different cheese even when I have a big pile. I "saw "several co-workers in the book, and really think it has merit.

The one person I know who fights change of any kind tooth and nail thought it was horrible horrible horrible...and not because it was oversimplified :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » October 24th, 2011, 12:53 pm

:D :happy-bouncyblue:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » October 31st, 2011, 6:38 pm

Remember the 2 phone interviews with the company in Boston? I got an e-mail today from the person who recommended me for the job, asking me if the person I interviewed with had told me to fill out the online application. He sent me the link for the online ad. Guess what I'm going to be doing tonight?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 31st, 2011, 7:15 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Remember the 2 phone interviews with the company in Boston? I got an e-mail today from the person who recommended me for the job, asking me if the person I interviewed with had told me to fill out the online application. He sent me the link for the online ad. Guess what I'm going to be doing tonight?
My fingers are crossed and I'm sending vibes for an interview!! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 1st, 2011, 12:41 am

OOOOOO! Goodie! Don't give up. Don't EVER give up!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 1st, 2011, 9:27 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Remember the 2 phone interviews with the company in Boston? I got an e-mail today from the person who recommended me for the job, asking me if the person I interviewed with had told me to fill out the online application. He sent me the link for the online ad. Guess what I'm going to be doing tonight?
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY:

Job vibes and prayers that you can soon tell PHB where to go and what to do when he gets there....
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 1st, 2011, 1:23 pm

HOT DAMN! Sent follow-up e-mails to UTMB and UTSW-Dallas. Just received a reply from UTMB, with requested dates for availability for an on-site interview! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 1st, 2011, 1:26 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:HOT DAMN! Sent follow-up e-mails to UTMB and UTSW-Dallas. Just received a reply from UTMB, with requested dates for availability for an on-site interview! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » November 1st, 2011, 2:13 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:HOT DAMN! Sent follow-up e-mails to UTMB and UTSW-Dallas. Just received a reply from UTMB, with requested dates for availability for an on-site interview! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
HOORAY! :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :wizard: :YMPRAY:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » November 1st, 2011, 2:14 pm

TEEEEEEEEEEriffic! I feel a celebration coming on!
Love and luck! Ima :dance:
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 1st, 2011, 2:35 pm

Because we can't have enough chanting going on here...

AR-KIE, AR-KIE, AR-KIE!! :happy-bouncyblue:
^:)^ :-BD
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 1st, 2011, 2:57 pm

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

mad vibes that you can tell PHB to :Angry Orc: (since we don't have an 'eat shit and die in a fire' smiley)
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
shereec
PWing School Professor

Post by shereec » November 1st, 2011, 6:26 pm

Go Arkie, Go Arkie, Go Go, Go Arkie!
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » November 1st, 2011, 6:54 pm

Thanks, all! We're attempting to schedule for Thanksgiving week, and I'm not telling anyone directly associated with our lab that I'm interviewing that week. As far as they will know, I'm taking a few extra vacation days before the holiday. :ymdevil:
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » November 1st, 2011, 8:01 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Thanks, all! We're attempting to schedule for Thanksgiving week, and I'm not telling anyone directly associated with our lab that I'm interviewing that week. As far as they will know, I'm taking a few extra vacation days before the holiday. :ymdevil:
Ahhh...Yesss.....I do enjoy a good 'Sneak up on 'em' ploy. :-BD \m/ :happy-wavemulticolor:
:wizard:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 1st, 2011, 11:45 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:

(In other words, what he said! :D )
Life is good!